Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RJY66 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Anyone have any recommendations for one to hang a deer from a rafter or a tree limb?

Are these any good?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tuf-tug-rope-hoist-block-and-tackle

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/65...e-hoist-system-with-magnum-gambrel-steel

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
a rope type fence stretcher works well and has a lock that works 1 handed

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A long time ago I got a Deuer (http://www.deuer.com/) and I still like it a lot. It says it's good for lifting 1000 lbs, but Ive used on some heavy stuff and it's still like new. The best part is it is only about 6 inches long across the frame by 3 inches wide.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Block and tackles like those are more than enough for deer. I have hoisted elk many times with one similar, and dozens of deer with one about like that that uses nylon cord about like heavy parachute cord.
Deer are not that heavy, Harbor Freights twelve dollar
le cheapo should do deer just fine.

R
RJY66 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
A cheap one is why I am looking. I got one from Bass Pro a few years ago which is probably the equivalent of what Harbor Freight sells. Never used it until last year. Best I can tell it is a toy. I can lift a little yearling dink with it but that is about it....and even that is not easy. It is supposed to be able to lift 300lbs but I see no way in heck that is ever going to happen.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you want something a bit more versatile, look at the Maasdam rope puller. It works like a cable puller with a lever handle, but is designed for rope.

Pulling strength is determined by the strength of the rope used.

Not cheap, but you can use any length line to help you out of a mud-stuck, etc. Amazon carries them. I got mine from Baileysonline.com.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJY66
A cheap one is why I am looking. I got one from Bass Pro a few years ago which is probably the equivalent of what Harbor Freight sells. Never used it until last year. Best I can tell it is a toy. I can lift a little yearling dink with it but that is about it....and even that is not easy. It is supposed to be able to lift 300lbs but I see no way in heck that is ever going to happen.

Does it need to be portable or are you going to set it up one place and leave it?

The downside to most block and tackle is that they don't lock and also another thing to consider is that the smaller the pulley's, the more difficult they are to use..

If you are going to rig this up at home and somewhere there is power, I'd suggest an electric hoist..

If no power, I'd look at a chain hoist...neither are really portable, but if that's not a consideration, they both work far better than the typical sportsman block and tackle..

If you do go the block and tackle route, buy a locking ratchet pulley and incorporate it into the system..It will make handling loads far more convenient...

Last edited by Pete E; 08/02/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One thing to consider that's often overlooked: larger diameter ropes are MUCH easier to use simply because you can get a grip on it. Trying to pull with a 1/4 or 3/8" rope is hard on the hands. 1/2" is much easier, not to mention stronger.
A block and tackle with some kind of locking system is much better, too. The old fence stretchers were great for that. I have one of these old Durbins that I use for a lot of things. I just use short lengths of chain in the hooks to connect it to things.

[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

+1
Maasdam rope puller
these work great up to moose weight.
And you won't have to worry about rope length.

Last edited by budman5; 08/02/15.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
budman5,

I haven't used mine yet - it is a recent purchase. I actually bought 2 of them to carry in the Cherokee when (if) I go off road.

I don't know how braided Nylon will work, but I have a humongously long braided Nylon line for them.

I figure that if it works, the 'rubber band' effect of nylon pulled very tight would be almost as good as a winch, without the weight of the winch, electric hookup, etc.

I have no intention of going where I would get stuck too badly, anyway.

Myron

P.S.: From experience using cable pullers;
For anyone intending to use one as a hoist, hang it with the loose end of the rope secured to the support, with the ratchet mechanism located at the load so you don't have to use a ladder to operate it.

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I seen a boat trailer winch attached to a wood pole that was used to "hang" game from. It worked fine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a rope puller but mine's an older one with only 1000lb cap. The newer ones are 1500. They are handy but it's not a winch so don't overload it. The handle is the weak point and if it bends, you'll likely have to cut the rope to get it loose. It would be best used with a snatch block to double the pull.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rock,

Is yours a Maasdam or something else?

I have used their cable pullers for many years, and aside from bending a handle sideways, (which was easy to straighten), they have been indestructable.

Myron

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've seen a lot of folks using just basic inexpensive hand crank boat trailer winches spooled with either rope, cable or strap and a single pulley to hoist up whitetail deer.

http://www.easternmarine.com/Boat-Trailer-Hand-Winches/

R
RJY66 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by speedsixman
If you want something a bit more versatile, look at the Maasdam rope puller. It works like a cable puller with a lever handle, but is designed for rope.

Pulling strength is determined by the strength of the rope used.

Not cheap, but you can use any length line to help you out of a mud-stuck, etc. Amazon carries them. I got mine from Baileysonline.com.

Myron

I've never seen one of those things before but I like it. Could come in handy for a lot of things. Plus it is portable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by speedsixman
Rock,

Is yours a Maasdam or something else?

I have used their cable pullers for many years, and aside from bending a handle sideways, (which was easy to straighten), they have been indestructable.

Myron
It's a Maasdam. The handle twisted and couldn't be moved to back off the tension. Like I said, it's one of the old 1k ones so maybe the newer ones are build different.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it is in a permanent place, I would look at a small winch. You can get ATV winches pretty cheap. They also make a winch that fits over the ball of a vehicle. Some of these just work one way and you have a crank handle to let them down. They work well and I have used one to lift deer and also the front of my riding lawn mower, for years. I got it on sale at Harbor Freight long ago for $25.00, and it was a good investment. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you want a serious hand puller and are willing to pay for what you get, take a look at the WYETH-SCOTT They come in up to a 6K deadlift.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

. . . and then enough 1/2 inch rope, etc. to get the job done.

You want something that will feel reasonable in your hand. Paracord and the smaller stuff will be nothing but trouble.

Also: I use rope that I can throw in the washing machine at the end of season. It can get a little bloody. My rig has been working for 30-some years.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shaman; 08/03/15.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I have one from Tractor Supply and it works great. You don't have to tie off the pull rope when you hoist something because it has a lock that is easy to engage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.