-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking for info from those members who shoot rimfire benchrest. I've been researching benchrest as another way to play and am trying to learn more about the rifles used.

I see very few people shooting Anschutz rifles, which I've always assumed were the best option, and instead are shooting a variety of custom actions from Hall, 10X, Stiller, Turbo, etc...

Recently, there was the first Triple Crown match at a local range. The match incorporated IR50/50, ARA and PSL. I didn't get to attend the match but from what I have heard, there was a wide variety of actions used.

It seems like there is no clear cut winner in terms of barrels, but the stocks are a little easier to choose. Optics seem to range from Weaver T-36 on the cheaper end to Leupold Competition and higher to Nightforce Competition and March.

Does anyone here shoot benchrest? What rifle combo did you use to start?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I shoot rimfire benchrest and have for over 15 years. The best starter rifle would be a world-class custom made by a top gunsmith. I started my benchrest journey with a Cooper 57M Classic at local benchrest matches and while it was good enough for me to catch the bug, it is not competitive. I now own 3 BR rifles; one sporter and two 10.5 lb. I shoot IR50/50. Two of my rifles have older Turbo actions and one has the Stiller 2500X. My preference is the Stiller 2500X. I have had good barrels from MullerWorx, Shilen, Rock Creek and Broughton.

Rimfire BR is a very frustrating pursuit and one has to be very detail oriented. To succeed, one needs a truly first class rifle built by a top smith, great ammo chosen by testing different lots, and learned skill at reading the wind and dealing with mirage. Learning the necessary skills is much more difficult without having a great rifle and ammo.

To get a great rifle, don't waste time fretting over components. Top rifles can be made using many different actions, barrels, trigger, stock and scope combinations. The more important thing is to have it built by a top gunsmith who has built plenty of winners. What I would do if you want a good BR rig is either buy a used rifle built by either Richard Gorham or Gordon Eck. At the end of the season many will be put up for sale and many are quite good. If you want a new rig, contact either of those two gunsmiths and ask them for their recommendations. They keep on top of which barrel makers are producing the most winners and they will usually have a preferred action that they like to use. If you haven't already done so, go to Benchrest Central and Rimfire Accuracy forums and lurk and learn, among all the nonsense is some good information.

Last edited by cooper57m; 08/02/15.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,189
Posts18,465,772
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.