Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Either you're using some 117-grain bullet other than a Ballistic, or simply typed the wrong weight. To my knowledge Nosler never has made a 117-grain .25-caliber Ballistic Tip.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You are correct it was the Boat tails that was 117gr and 115gr on the ballistic tip.

I can always stand corrected:-)

Marine Corps, Mason, NRA Life Member & Cherokee
May you always know the Great Spirit is with you.
Years ago I swore an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign & DOMESTIC and no one has relieved me of that oath!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Interesting. I killed some animals with the Solid Bases in calibers from 6mm to .30 and found them on the hard side, even though muzzle velocities were all in the 2900-3000 fps range. Much preferred how Partitions in the same sizes killed, probably because of the relatively soft alloy they use in the front core.

Like a lot of people I wasn't crazy about the first Ballistic Tips, but they solved the problems and I like them a lot now. They tend to both kill quickly and penetrate well. Oh, and shoot accurately too!

I agree, they are harder- much harder than the first generation BTs. I killed more than a dozen coues whitetail with the 60 grain solid bases and quite a few other deer with 165 grain version in 30 caliber. I suspect that they are no better than modern day BTs but much cheaper- my biggest knock on the BTs.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Find something bigger. I know it can be done, just think that elk deserve better.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
dennis,

Your post reminded me that I also used the 60-grain .224 Solid Bases as well as "big game" sizes from 6mm to .30. But I used it only in the .220 Swift on animals from prairie dogs to pronghorns. In fact it was my favorite .224 bullet for big game back then, probably because it was tough enough to hold together when started at 3650 fps. It killed antelope about like a typical 100-grain softpoint from a .243, leaving a quarter-sized exit hole and putting them down pretty quickly.

It worked fine on rockchucks as well, but prairie dogs didn't perform the usual Swift aerials....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good times. I thought the 22-250 was the best caliber in the world back then!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Seriously I don't care. You'll never convince me that a cheap Nosler ballistic tip is a better performing bullet than what I use. Thank goodness for the internet and all it's accurate information that can be had in like 2 minutes. I've seen those bullets used in real world hunting situations. Accubond do well and so do partitions. Hornady SST's and Nosler BT's, not so much. Barnes works well for me, I stick with them.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I always get a laugh out of the phrase "real world".. Like most of the guys are living in a fake world??

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
WyoCoyoteHunter,

I always get a laugh out of the phrase "real world".. Like most of the guys are living in a fake world??

I think lots of internet posters live in an imaginary world. Last summer someone told me they were going to kick my butt. So I told them I am 6'2", 240 pounds, twenty-five years old, been a Navy SEAL for ten years so come on. The very next post was by a guy from my town. He posted, "Didn't you just have a birthday yesterday? Aren't you 70?"

So much for the "real world" cramping my internet world.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Ringman
WyoCoyoteHunter,

I think lots of internet posters live in an imaginary world. Last summer someone told me they were going to kick my butt. So I told them I am 6'2", 240 pounds, twenty-five years old, been a Navy SEAL for ten years so come on. The very next post was by a guy from my town. He posted, "Didn't you just have a birthday yesterday? Aren't you 70?"

So much for the "real world" cramping my internet world.

LOL! Lots of truth about the 'net experts right there.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You may well be right!!!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
the only difference between a 257 WBY. and a 25-06 is about 100 fps and I don't think the Elk will care at all. I have killed them with both rounds using a BT. and it did not look to me like the Elk could tell any difference

Last edited by REDMAN; 08/02/15.

Years ago I swore an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign & DOMESTIC and no one has relieved me of that oath!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by REDMAN
the only difference between a 257 WBY. and a 20-06 is about 100 fps and I don't think the Elk will care at all. I have killed them with both rounds using a BT. and it did not look to me like the Elk could tell any difference

Agree with everything you stated...except the 100 fps difference. You can get quite a bit more than that.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I'm talking standard load, yes you can soup them both up and the speed difference will expand but how much harm are you doing to your barrel? Would it be worth it, if they can't tell the difference? It is not worth it to me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm talking standard load, yes you can soup them both up and the speed difference will expand but how much harm are you doing to your barrel?

New barrels are made every day. If you shoot a barrel out, that's a good thing. Means the rifle actually got used.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I'm talking standard load, yes you can soup them both up and the speed difference will expand but how much harm are you doing to your barrel?

New barrels are made every day. If you shoot a barrel out, that's a good thing. Means the rifle actually got used.

Yep. Plus I don't know many who load for a .257 Wby who put much thought into long term barrel life.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
A .257 Be will last about 1000 rounds if you range shoot it as well as hunt and if used ofr hunting only in the US, a lifetime and more is likely.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It amazing how quick a 1000 rounds get spent:-)

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
When i gave up Elk hunting i traded off my 257 WBY for a
25-06 TK3 with $500 boot,it's about 4lbs lighter, it does a good job. I could not be more pleased

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It amazing how quick a 1000 rounds get spent:-)

If you’re worried about barrel life, a 25-06 isn’t a much better choice than a 257 Roy. Think 250 Savage, 260, 7mm-08, or something along those lines.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.