Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It seems that someone on here has "browsed" enough to now be an expert on African hunting and conservation.

Perhaps those with more actual knowledge than mere "browsing" could lend a hand in educating the rest of us.

Thanks,

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10232930/2

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Been browsing up on the topic.

No surprise that in a place like Zimbabwe very little of the hefty fees charged filter back to the locals.

The other thing that emerges is there really ain't a true "sticks" there anymore, meaning anything like unknown wilderness as we understand the term. This was pretty much the way it was in West Africa when I was there too.

Most hunting was recently outlawed in Botswana, but it is significant that most of the male lions filmed twenty years back there by that famous Belgian couple the Jouberts ("Eternal Enemies: Lions and Hyenas" were ultimately shot by trophy hunters, meaning just as photographers' vehicles could get back there, so could arranged hunts.

Same appears to be true in Zimbabwe. Interesting stuff on the internet about lion populations vs. wild lion harvest. Only about one in eight male lions survive to become pride males, and shooting one pride male often means the subsequent doom/displacement of its brother(s) and killing of the cubs by rival males.

A contention is, given all of the above, that the present levels of take of wild lions is not sustainable. It is interesting to ponder how we here in the US would manage lion populations and the hunting thereof if they were a native species over here.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what happens to lion and other wildlife populations in Botswana now that hunting is strictly limited.

Old news to many here I'm sure, but apparently ALL lion hunting in South Africa amounts to put and take at best, and plainly canned hunts at worst. However these captive bred and raised lions commonly make better-looking trophies, not having had to survive the tough school of hard knocks necessary to survive to maturity among their wild brethren.

Birdwatcher

ALL lion hunting in South Africa is of captive bred and raised lions...

http://www.sportsafield.com/content/second-hand-lions

It happens at least a couple of times at the major hunters' conventions. I'm shown a picture of a magnificent lion, so resplendent in mane that it is extremely unlikely that it's a wild lion. Of course it's a South African lion, so now there is little doubt about the actual circumstances.....

So why do some hunters and outfitters feel the need to lie about it, and why do other hunters feel the need to apologize for it? The captive-reared lion industry is major in South Africa.... there are several thousand lions in hundreds of private breeding programs, the sole purpose of which is to provide mature males for visiting hunters.

I got no problem with this sort of thing any more than I do with it in Texas, long as the animal is raised and dispatched humanely/

Botswana outlawing most hunting? 2014.

http://www.businessinsider.com/afp-botswanas-marauding-elephants-trigger-hunting-ban-debate-2015-5

Tshekedi Khama, Botswanan environment minister, said the tourism industry was the way forward.

"Hunters only employ people during the hunting season. (Tourism) is throughout the year, that's why we prefer it."

Hunting of almost all animals -- by bushmen as well as overseas visitors -- was banned by the Botswanan government to halt the decline of springbok and other species hit by habitat loss and illegal hunting.

At best what this ban could amount to is a once-in-forever opportunity to compare unhunted vs. hunted wild lion populations in similar settings, and to regulate harvests accordingly. Tho I personally don't believe this ban will last very long.

On the sustainability of wild lion harvest, an excellent paper here.....

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0073808

Several studies have demonstrated that excessive trophy harvests have driven lion population declines..... Problems include: unscientific bases for quota setting; excessive quotas and off-takes in some countries; fixed quotas which encourage over-harvest; and lack of restrictions on the age of lions that can be hunted. Key interventions needed to make lion hunting more sustainable, include implementation of: enforced age restrictions; improved trophy monitoring; adaptive management of quotas and a minimum length of lion hunts of at least 21 days.

And as for benefitting the locals, do you really think the hefty fees paid in a place like Zimbabwe for a lion permit actually filter down much to the grass roofs level?

Birdwatcher

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I hate to tell you this Birdie, but you are as FOS as Hogan's Goat when it comes to this topic, or at the very least, you are reading crap from what amounts to the anti-hunting crowd. There are myriad studies resources (hell, even check the NYT's recent article "Killing Lions to Save Lions" (or words to that effect). The point being, destruction habitat, i.e. human encroachment with domesticated animals (feline aids), indiscriminate poisoning and killing of entire prides in order to reduce cattle killers and outright poaching IS the culprit behind the decline of lion populations (currently circa 45K). It is a FACT, Birdie a FACT that indeed lions (and fill in the black to include ANY African animal) survive BEACAUSE of hunting. Hunting gives them VALUE, in the form of currency, meat, etc for the indigenous populations. Without hunting, wildlife loses it's value and is soon reduced to near extinction.

Here is a simple fact, in EVERY country where sport hunting is allowed, virtually every specie of game not only survives but thrives and it is also a FACT, that in those countries where sport hunting is BANNED, that game populations crash. THe easiest example is Kenya where hunting was banned in 1974 because hunters were getting in the way of the ivory trade for the Kenyatta family and there, ALL game is virtually gone except for the National Parks.
Two years ago, Zambia closed hunting and soon realized a hunting ban has the EXACT opposite effect and has since re-instated hunting. Uganda is another place. Virtually closed for years, (by Idi Amin where he took pleasure in killing elephants with an M-2) and now that it's opened back up, populations are on the comeback. Mozambique is another example and I could go on. BTW, Bostwana will in all likelihood reopen hinting as they realize they are all but destroying the eco-system as a result of their 250% carrying capacity in place like the Okavango.

So please, stop the bullshit..

one

two

I'm sure other folks will be along...

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/03/15.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BTW, Bostwana will in all likelihood reopen hinting as they realize they are all but destroying the eco-system as a result of their 250% carrying capacity in place like the Okavango

Read what I wrote Jorge, the principles of what you are saying are well known, even by me.

Read the whole piece by the people at the University of Pretoria, and tell me if these wildlife scientists are liberal greenies etc....

I will state that I shoulda said nearly all lion hunting in South Africa is, at best, put and take. Doesn't mean its always easy, and from what I gather such lions can be even more of a hazard than wild ones, but the success rate for the hunter is apparently significantly higher.

I agree Botswana will have to open hunting soon, if only for elephants (makes one wonder what on earth controlled elephant numbers before the rifle). But if they don't open up lion hunting again, how is that not an opportunity to compare hunted vs. unhunted lion populations over a large area?

Most of the tagged and tracked male lions at that preserve in Zimbabwe were eventually shot by sport hunters, and the taking of mature pride males can be predicted to often cause the deposement of the surviving pride male(s) and the death of cubs.

How is any of this controversial?

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"Most of the tagged and tracked male lions at that preserve in Zimbabwe were eventually shot by sport hunters, and the taking of mature pride males can be predicted to often cause the deposement of the surviving pride male(s) and the death of cubs."

Nonsense. The lion population in Zim, especially the hunting conservancies are thriving and special care is taken NOT to shot Pride males. Your statement above is complete nonsense. Go over to Accurate Reloading.com where there are true experts on the subject including Veterinarians and people who contribute and get the real facts, not from some pedagogue in RSA.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your statement above is complete nonsense.

I may speak nonsense on occasion, but do try to verify facts. And actually, at this time, I do have faith in the pronouncements of the Wildlife Scientists at the University of Pretoria in RSA until cause is given otherwise, ESPECIALLY given the even-handedness of their publication (further down the same paper quoted earlier).

In Kenya, where trophy hunting has been banned since 1977, for example, protected areas now lack the buffers that are provided by hunting blocks in many other African countries, and wildlife populations have declined by 60–70% since the hunting ban [21]. While it is not possible to determine whether, or to what extent, the trophy hunting ban contributed to negative wildlife population trends, the prohibition certainly failed to improve the conservation status of wildlife (including lions) in Kenya.

In this paper, we review the extent of lion hunting in Africa, the way it is managed and identify issues which undermine sustainability.

The collar the poached lion in this case was wearing apparently was part of an twenty year study out of the University of Oxford headed by one Peter McDonald, in the case of that particular Harare preserve no one seems to be arguing the statistic of....

According to figures published by National Geographic, 34 of their 62 tagged lions died during the study period – 24 were shot by sport hunters.

Since in Zimbabwe at least, hunting at lions after dark over bait is apparently the norm, it does beggar the question of how a particular lion might be identified when trying to avoid taking pride males.

Also, since even male lions without a pride must aggregate within an alliance of at least two males to have even a chance of breeding someday, the question of the effect of trophy hunting on the other lions in the affected alliance oughtta be looked at.

Seems like the take of wild male lions (not including the take of artificially reared and released lions in RSA) may be as high as 700 male lions Continent-wide. Has this had a proven effect on lion populations?

Ya, in Zambia, where as also referenced in the above-linked article, the proportion of males in wild populations has reportedly dropped from the norm of around 30% (one in three) to 8% (one in ten), apparently due to sport hunting.

Heck Jorge, you're the one who oughtta be spouting this stuff off chapter and verse at ME.

Anyway, co-authored by that same McDonald guy, a great 2014 paper on lions actively avoiding people in cattle-ranching areas of Kenya (as opposed to Southern Tanzania where they are apparently eating people with some regularity). Seems like lions like that poached one coming off of a preserve would exhibit little avoidance behavior.

http://ewasolions.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Oriol-Cotterill-et-al-2015.pdf

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your statement above is complete nonsense.

The collar the poached lion in this case was wearing apparently was part of an twenty year study out of the University of Oxford headed by one Peter McDonald, in the case of that particular Harare preserve no one seems to be arguing the statistic of....

20 year research project? On a wild Lion? Why waste 6 years research money?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

20 year research project? On a wild Lion? Why waste 6 years research money?

That particular lion had been tracked for seven years, I dunno how long it had been a pride male but as you imply, it was approaching the end of a long and successful run anyway. A figure of 200 GPS collars used since the start of the twenty year study was given.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdie, as long as you keep spouting tree-hugging studies, I'll keep posting it's FOS. Sorry, this is BULLSHIT:

While it is not possible to determine whether, or to what extent, the trophy hunting ban contributed to negative wildlife population trends.

Bottom line: Sport hunting enhances ALL wildlife, banning destroys it. PERIOD.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdie, as long as you keep spouting tree-hugging studies, I'll keep posting it's FOS.

Egad Jorge, did you READ that paper at all?

All the way down through the surveys and feedback from PH's in a number of African nations regarding harvesting quotas and age limits?

The whole friggin' paper is about improving the SUSTAINABILITY of lion hunting.

And here's the WHOLE passage from which you cherry picked....

In Kenya, where trophy hunting has been banned since 1977, for example, protected areas now lack the buffers that are provided by hunting blocks in many other African countries, and wildlife populations have declined by 60–70% since the hunting ban [21]. While it is not possible to determine whether, or to what extent, the trophy hunting ban contributed to negative wildlife population trends, the prohibition certainly failed to improve the conservation status of wildlife (including lions) in Kenya.

In this paper, we review the extent of lion hunting in Africa, the way it is managed and identify issues which undermine sustainability.

This is no different from any paper that would be published here in the US from a University Wildlife Department re: the management of any species.

If the authors had said "the banning of trophy hunting caused a 60-70% decline of Kenya's wildlife", in the absence of specific supporting data they would have immediately have been brought to task (and indeed may have been) under peer review for that statement.

What they could and DID say is this. Banning trophy hunting meant that it was no longer profitable for private landowners surrounding the preserves to devote their lands to accommodating hunters, and following this loss, wildlife populations on those preserves plummeted.

Call them "tree huggers" if ya want, to me they just sound like impartial wildlife scientists doing their job.

One thing it seems difficult to deny is that sport hunting has had a significant effect on the nature of the mortality affecting male lions, reducing that number by two-thirds in the studied Zambian population.

I dunno any Professional Hunters, but it is hard for me to imagine they wouldn't be all about this data more than anyone. After all it is THEIR very way of life that depends upon the preservation of these wildlife resources and they NEED hard data to counter attacks by the antis.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
kee-rist, what part don't you get that ANY suggestion on banning lion hunting is bad for the species? peer review by other tree huggers? GMAFB.

IC B3

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Conservation Magazine, on trophy hunting as a benefit to conservation: http://conservationmagazine.org/2014/01/can-trophy-hunting-reconciled-conservation/, citing this case study: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13880290590913705?journalCode=uwlp20#abstract

The IUCN on trophy hunting and conservation in Africa: https://portals.iucn.org/library/efiles/documents/2009-074-En.pdf

The basis of this is simple: hunting is a proper conservation tool with many decades of proven success across the spectrum of game animals, including rare species and those with low birth rates and even predators including lions. The problem, and the failure, comes when corruption and poor management (often the same thing) enter the picture.

Zimbabwe is a poster child for corruption. Put the blame where it ought to lie.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You don't need hunting to provide money for wildlife conservation, all you need are Beanie Babies!

[Linked Image]

Of course, like most things, this will fade quickly and people will stop sending money in a month when the next flavor of the month comes along.

Of course hunting money would be 'forever', not just some month long emotional based thing.

There is NO way much of this isn't being driven by a corrupt government not get enough of the cut.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OMG, my personal troll is BROWSING THE INTERNET now.....

The basis of this is simple: hunting is a proper conservation tool

You'd have a point if anyone was debating that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
kee-rist, what part don't you get that ANY suggestion on banning lion hunting is bad for the species? peer review by other tree huggers? GMAFB.

Jorge, name-calling is no basis for an argument.

I guess I have more faith in wildlife scientists than you do, but then I've worked for a few.

Closed seasons as necessary and bag limits have long been the norm in the US, as they HAVE to be. Why should this be any different for lions?

The ONLY way lion hunting is gonna survive is with iron-clad data and completely defensible harvest.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have not called you names. Only thing I've said the ALL the articles you quoted are written by folks who are AGAINST hunting and try and couch their arguments in Global-Warming-like cooked data.
And WHATEVER makes you think lion hunting (and for that matter ALL African hunting is not under strict quota and seasons and in the case of lions even stricter aging criteria? Where are you getting this notion there is open season and quotas on lion???? Well, that is what WILL happen when hunting is banned and the wogs get to run the whole show.

In Tanzania for example, the aging determination is so strict that failure to adhere is immediate cause for license revocation.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Jorge, name-calling is no basis for an argument.

I guess I have more faith in wildlife scientists than you do, but then I've worked for a few.

Closed seasons as necessary and bag limits have long been the norm in the US, as they HAVE to be. Why should this be any different for lions?

The ONLY way lion hunting is gonna survive is with iron-clad data and completely defensible harvest.

Birdwatcher

There ARE closed seasons and bag limits on lions, as cited by multiple wildlife scientists in papers you refuse to read - that's what the quota system is and how it works. When management DOESN'T work is when corruption interferes with proper management (case in point; Zimbabwe). The only way any hunting works as a conservation tool is with properly implemented game management; corruption destroys these efforts.

Ergo, the problem isn't with the management of the game but with the corruption of the managers.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I have not called you names. Only thing I've said the ALL the articles you quoted are written by folks who are AGAINST hunting and try and couch their arguments in Global-Warming-like cooked data.
And WHATEVER makes you think lion hunting (and for that matter ALL African hunting is not under strict quota and seasons and in the case of lions even stricter aging criteria? Where are you getting this notion there is open season and quotas on lion???? Well, that is what WILL happen when hunting is banned and the wogs get to run the whole show.

In Tanzania for example, the aging determination is so strict that failure to adhere is immediate cause for license revocation.

Why, how ever could you know these things, jorge? Have you "browsed" them sufficiently and cherry picked a single study upon which you base the entirety of your argument?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
LOL. For the last fifteen years, I've been fortunate enough to have gone on safari, personally know quite a few PHs who are also well-versed and educated on the subject of not only hunting but animal husbandry (Kevin Robertson comes to mind as well as Don Heath) and many, many Americans who contribute substantial financial support (in addition to MILLIONS in trophy and other fees) in ensuring wildlife survival. So yeah, bit more than internet browsing reading articles from the pocket-protector crowd with an anti-hunting agenda.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
LOL. For the last fifteen years, I've been fortunate enough to have gone on safari, personally know quite a few PHs who are also well-versed and educated on the subject of not only hunting but animal husbandry (Kevin Robertson comes to mind as well as Don Heath) and many, many Americans who contribute substantial financial support (in addition to MILLIONS in trophy and other fees) in ensuring wildlife survival. So yeah, bit more than internet browsing reading articles from the pocket-protector crowd with an anti-hunting agenda.

But, how can you possibly top this?

I ain't ever studied lions, but one summer I did supervise a crew of coeds studying red-cockaded woodpeckers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Stop, you just made me laugh so hard I farted and my secretary heard it.... smile

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 49 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.