Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Quoted out of context again <"shrug">

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here's a little hint, Birdwatcher -

Wildlife conservation is rather (what was your word....) "complicated". Management protocols have to take into account a myriad of factors ranging from the biology of the subject animal to interactions with other species including their biology to habitat management, human interactions, and all manner of other factors. One study may find one issue, and another something different, because each study has specific study points, objectives, questions, and biases. When you factor in the human element (especially corruption), everything can go out the window.

Your basis of your entire position on one study group is fundamentally flawed as a basis for understanding game management, especially management of game so volatile in population dynamics as an apex predator, and even more compounded by the extraordinary level of corruption in the human management sphere in that study area. Looking at other studies would give a better grounding and lead to the conclusion that there are a multitude of factors in play, with hunting overall being a net positive yet corruption and vis a vis improper management being the single largest (and wholly negative) factor on the entire program and species management regime.

I'll see your "one summer supervising coeds studying woodpeckers" and raise you baccalaureate education and research in wildlife science; a master's degree in resource management; and game management program design, implementation, and enforcement. Oh, and unlike you, I do know a few PHs.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Only thing I've said the ALL the articles you quoted are written by folks who are AGAINST hunting and try and couch their arguments in Global-Warming-like cooked data.

You have no evidence for that.

Where are you getting this notion there is open season and quotas on lion????

*SIGH*.... I never did. It might help if you read the papers...

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This one time at bird camp....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Quoted out of context again <"shrug">

Oh, it's very much in context as it underlies your understanding (or lack thereof) of the entire situation at hand.

Here's the thread that quote came from, and showing all the proper context: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...il_-_Now_for_some_biology..#Post10237092

You stated you don't know schit about lions but posit your woodpecker summer as enough of a qualifier to distill out the core of the entire "Cecil" issue in the (as always, bolded) excerpt you pulled from the lone study group you basis your entire position upon.

The context is that you don't know jack schit about what you're talking about.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Only thing I've said the ALL the articles you quoted are written by folks who are AGAINST hunting and try and couch their arguments in Global-Warming-like cooked data.

Your words were about needing closed seasons and bag limits; inferring that there were none on lions.

kee-rist, what part don't you get that ANY suggestion on banning lion hunting is bad for the species? peer review by other tree huggers? GMAFB.

Jorge, name-calling is no basis for an argument.

I guess I have more faith in wildlife scientists than you do, but then I've worked for a few.

Closed seasons as necessary and bag limits have long been the norm in the US, as they HAVE to be. Why should this be any different for lions?

The ONLY way lion hunting is gonna survive is with iron-clad data and completely defensible harvest.

Birdwatcher

As for reading the papers - that's rich coming from Mr. "I browsed this issue" and found a single study to support his predetermined position.

The only way HUNTING works is by eliminating (as much as possible) the corruption of the humans involved in the management of the game animals. The problem in Zimbabwe isn't the hunting; it's the corruption.

Last edited by 4ager; 08/04/15.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sean, you permanently crossed over the bounds of imbecility when you brung something I had posted elsewhere here so that I could figuratively get my massed kicked, I guess.

And now as usual, when that didn't happen you are piling on words and words, quoting me out of context and raising arguments never contested.

I try and stay out of internet p&ssing matches mostly on account of they are boring to me and everyone else, and certainly on THIS specialized board, where you brought over this thread in the first place.

But, you do seem to have an unhealthy obsession with me personally.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't believe he has one with you, personally. I believe he has one with liberals, which is a good thing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've no obsession with you; you simply can't help but make a damned fool of yourself by spouting off about stuff you know nothing about.

I brought it over here because (perish the thought) the folks in the African forum might actually know more about the subject than someone who simply "browsed" it. You continually harp on a single study group as the basis for your entire argument on game management (a subject you know nothing about) of a species you know nothing about. Folks on this subforum - those that hunt Africa - are likely to actually know something about the subject and MIGHT just be able to educate you, assuming you're intellectually honest enough to actually learn.

I quoted you specifically IN CONTEXT as relates to your comprehension of game management studies. As for piling on; if pointing out the inadequacies and inaccuracies of your position is "piling on", so be it.

You haven't a f'king clue what you're talking about, and it shows.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Jorge, name-calling is no basis for an argument.

I guess I have more faith in wildlife scientists than you do, but then I've worked for a few.

Closed seasons as necessary and bag limits have long been the norm in the US, as they HAVE to be. Why should this be any different for lions?

The ONLY way lion hunting is gonna survive is with iron-clad data and completely defensible harvest.

Birdwatcher

The fact that what you wrote (in bold) implies there arent' any seems pretty clear. No evidence they are anti-hunting? Please! since you pride yourself on being a researcher, why don't you look into who funds these kooks, but on second thought, never mind since you'll just whine about being taken out of context, or some other bullshit excuse.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by jorgeI
LOL. For the last fifteen years, I've been fortunate enough to have gone on safari, personally know quite a few PHs who are also well-versed and educated on the subject of not only hunting but animal husbandry (Kevin Robertson comes to mind as well as Don Heath) and many, many Americans who contribute substantial financial support (in addition to MILLIONS in trophy and other fees) in ensuring wildlife survival. So yeah, bit more than internet browsing reading articles from the pocket-protector crowd with an anti-hunting agenda.

How many safaris I'm all of those years?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I try and stay out of internet p&ssing matches mostly on account of they are boring to me

Then stay out of topics you know nothing about, and ESPECIALLY quoting sources with a clear agenda and secondly if you find them (sic) boring, why do you persist in constant reclama by drivel?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Then stay out of topics you know nothing about, and ESPECIALLY quoting sources with a clear agenda

I disagree that the guy has an agenda, he has never condemned properly regulated hunting, and the RSA University source was on ways to conserve the sustainability of hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe he has one with liberals, which is a good thing

Me? Liberal? grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, I did not bring this topic to this board, anymore than I'd bring it to "handguns" "backpacking" or any other specialized forum where serious inquiries are discussed.

If I'd have even thought or a minute I wouldn't have responded here at all but just redirected it back to where it belongs, on the other forum.

Those wishing to continue are more than welcome to take it up on the "'fire" where there are a couple of related treads and the original one.

Birdwatcher

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I brought it here, for the reasons stated that people on this forum - those who hunt Africa - were likely to have knowledge and information on the issue that others (especially you) do not have.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Two, fourteen day safaris.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a few names for Birdy to "browse"...

Paula White
John Jackson
Peter Lindsey
Guy Balme
Rosemary Groom
Andy Loveridge
Luke Hunter
Philippe Chardonette
Coleen Begg
Paul Trethowan

http://www.hunterproud.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Bubye-Valley-11.mov

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Just a few names for Birdy to "browse"...

Paula White
John Jackson
Peter Lindsey
Guy Balme
Rosemary Groom
Andy Loveridge
Craig Packer
Luke Hunter
Philippe Chardonette
Coleen Begg
Paul Trethowan

http://www.hunterproud.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Bubye-Valley-11.mov

Several of them have been cited already, even though he refuses to acknowledge that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not going to get into this pissing match, but this statement is absolutely true...though I would add that TCM is among the top of the culprits and the money that trophy hunting generates gives Africans an incentive to stop poaching. It sucks that money is the motivating factor (both for the poaching and the incentive to stop it), but it is what it is...

Originally Posted by jorgeI
lions (and fill in the black to include ANY African animal) survive BEACAUSE of hunting. Hunting gives them VALUE, in the form of currency, meat, etc for the indigenous populations. Without hunting, wildlife loses it's value and is soon reduced to near extinction.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 358WCF, 673, 13 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,658
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.