Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It seems that someone on here has "browsed" enough to now be an expert on African hunting and conservation.

Perhaps those with more actual knowledge than mere "browsing" could lend a hand in educating the rest of us.

Thanks,

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10232930/2

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Been browsing up on the topic.

No surprise that in a place like Zimbabwe very little of the hefty fees charged filter back to the locals.

The other thing that emerges is there really ain't a true "sticks" there anymore, meaning anything like unknown wilderness as we understand the term. This was pretty much the way it was in West Africa when I was there too.

Most hunting was recently outlawed in Botswana, but it is significant that most of the male lions filmed twenty years back there by that famous Belgian couple the Jouberts ("Eternal Enemies: Lions and Hyenas" were ultimately shot by trophy hunters, meaning just as photographers' vehicles could get back there, so could arranged hunts.

Same appears to be true in Zimbabwe. Interesting stuff on the internet about lion populations vs. wild lion harvest. Only about one in eight male lions survive to become pride males, and shooting one pride male often means the subsequent doom/displacement of its brother(s) and killing of the cubs by rival males.

A contention is, given all of the above, that the present levels of take of wild lions is not sustainable. It is interesting to ponder how we here in the US would manage lion populations and the hunting thereof if they were a native species over here.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what happens to lion and other wildlife populations in Botswana now that hunting is strictly limited.

Old news to many here I'm sure, but apparently ALL lion hunting in South Africa amounts to put and take at best, and plainly canned hunts at worst. However these captive bred and raised lions commonly make better-looking trophies, not having had to survive the tough school of hard knocks necessary to survive to maturity among their wild brethren.

Birdwatcher

ALL lion hunting in South Africa is of captive bred and raised lions...

http://www.sportsafield.com/content/second-hand-lions

It happens at least a couple of times at the major hunters' conventions. I'm shown a picture of a magnificent lion, so resplendent in mane that it is extremely unlikely that it's a wild lion. Of course it's a South African lion, so now there is little doubt about the actual circumstances.....

So why do some hunters and outfitters feel the need to lie about it, and why do other hunters feel the need to apologize for it? The captive-reared lion industry is major in South Africa.... there are several thousand lions in hundreds of private breeding programs, the sole purpose of which is to provide mature males for visiting hunters.

I got no problem with this sort of thing any more than I do with it in Texas, long as the animal is raised and dispatched humanely/

Botswana outlawing most hunting? 2014.

http://www.businessinsider.com/afp-botswanas-marauding-elephants-trigger-hunting-ban-debate-2015-5

Tshekedi Khama, Botswanan environment minister, said the tourism industry was the way forward.

"Hunters only employ people during the hunting season. (Tourism) is throughout the year, that's why we prefer it."

Hunting of almost all animals -- by bushmen as well as overseas visitors -- was banned by the Botswanan government to halt the decline of springbok and other species hit by habitat loss and illegal hunting.

At best what this ban could amount to is a once-in-forever opportunity to compare unhunted vs. hunted wild lion populations in similar settings, and to regulate harvests accordingly. Tho I personally don't believe this ban will last very long.

On the sustainability of wild lion harvest, an excellent paper here.....

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0073808

Several studies have demonstrated that excessive trophy harvests have driven lion population declines..... Problems include: unscientific bases for quota setting; excessive quotas and off-takes in some countries; fixed quotas which encourage over-harvest; and lack of restrictions on the age of lions that can be hunted. Key interventions needed to make lion hunting more sustainable, include implementation of: enforced age restrictions; improved trophy monitoring; adaptive management of quotas and a minimum length of lion hunts of at least 21 days.

And as for benefitting the locals, do you really think the hefty fees paid in a place like Zimbabwe for a lion permit actually filter down much to the grass roofs level?

Birdwatcher

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hate to tell you this Birdie, but you are as FOS as Hogan's Goat when it comes to this topic, or at the very least, you are reading crap from what amounts to the anti-hunting crowd. There are myriad studies resources (hell, even check the NYT's recent article "Killing Lions to Save Lions" (or words to that effect). The point being, destruction habitat, i.e. human encroachment with domesticated animals (feline aids), indiscriminate poisoning and killing of entire prides in order to reduce cattle killers and outright poaching IS the culprit behind the decline of lion populations (currently circa 45K). It is a FACT, Birdie a FACT that indeed lions (and fill in the black to include ANY African animal) survive BEACAUSE of hunting. Hunting gives them VALUE, in the form of currency, meat, etc for the indigenous populations. Without hunting, wildlife loses it's value and is soon reduced to near extinction.

Here is a simple fact, in EVERY country where sport hunting is allowed, virtually every specie of game not only survives but thrives and it is also a FACT, that in those countries where sport hunting is BANNED, that game populations crash. THe easiest example is Kenya where hunting was banned in 1974 because hunters were getting in the way of the ivory trade for the Kenyatta family and there, ALL game is virtually gone except for the National Parks.
Two years ago, Zambia closed hunting and soon realized a hunting ban has the EXACT opposite effect and has since re-instated hunting. Uganda is another place. Virtually closed for years, (by Idi Amin where he took pleasure in killing elephants with an M-2) and now that it's opened back up, populations are on the comeback. Mozambique is another example and I could go on. BTW, Bostwana will in all likelihood reopen hinting as they realize they are all but destroying the eco-system as a result of their 250% carrying capacity in place like the Okavango.

So please, stop the bullshit..

one

two

I'm sure other folks will be along...

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/03/15.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BTW, Bostwana will in all likelihood reopen hinting as they realize they are all but destroying the eco-system as a result of their 250% carrying capacity in place like the Okavango

Read what I wrote Jorge, the principles of what you are saying are well known, even by me.

Read the whole piece by the people at the University of Pretoria, and tell me if these wildlife scientists are liberal greenies etc....

I will state that I shoulda said nearly all lion hunting in South Africa is, at best, put and take. Doesn't mean its always easy, and from what I gather such lions can be even more of a hazard than wild ones, but the success rate for the hunter is apparently significantly higher.

I agree Botswana will have to open hunting soon, if only for elephants (makes one wonder what on earth controlled elephant numbers before the rifle). But if they don't open up lion hunting again, how is that not an opportunity to compare hunted vs. unhunted lion populations over a large area?

Most of the tagged and tracked male lions at that preserve in Zimbabwe were eventually shot by sport hunters, and the taking of mature pride males can be predicted to often cause the deposement of the surviving pride male(s) and the death of cubs.

How is any of this controversial?

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Most of the tagged and tracked male lions at that preserve in Zimbabwe were eventually shot by sport hunters, and the taking of mature pride males can be predicted to often cause the deposement of the surviving pride male(s) and the death of cubs."

Nonsense. The lion population in Zim, especially the hunting conservancies are thriving and special care is taken NOT to shot Pride males. Your statement above is complete nonsense. Go over to Accurate Reloading.com where there are true experts on the subject including Veterinarians and people who contribute and get the real facts, not from some pedagogue in RSA.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your statement above is complete nonsense.

I may speak nonsense on occasion, but do try to verify facts. And actually, at this time, I do have faith in the pronouncements of the Wildlife Scientists at the University of Pretoria in RSA until cause is given otherwise, ESPECIALLY given the even-handedness of their publication (further down the same paper quoted earlier).

In Kenya, where trophy hunting has been banned since 1977, for example, protected areas now lack the buffers that are provided by hunting blocks in many other African countries, and wildlife populations have declined by 60–70% since the hunting ban [21]. While it is not possible to determine whether, or to what extent, the trophy hunting ban contributed to negative wildlife population trends, the prohibition certainly failed to improve the conservation status of wildlife (including lions) in Kenya.

In this paper, we review the extent of lion hunting in Africa, the way it is managed and identify issues which undermine sustainability.

The collar the poached lion in this case was wearing apparently was part of an twenty year study out of the University of Oxford headed by one Peter McDonald, in the case of that particular Harare preserve no one seems to be arguing the statistic of....

According to figures published by National Geographic, 34 of their 62 tagged lions died during the study period – 24 were shot by sport hunters.

Since in Zimbabwe at least, hunting at lions after dark over bait is apparently the norm, it does beggar the question of how a particular lion might be identified when trying to avoid taking pride males.

Also, since even male lions without a pride must aggregate within an alliance of at least two males to have even a chance of breeding someday, the question of the effect of trophy hunting on the other lions in the affected alliance oughtta be looked at.

Seems like the take of wild male lions (not including the take of artificially reared and released lions in RSA) may be as high as 700 male lions Continent-wide. Has this had a proven effect on lion populations?

Ya, in Zambia, where as also referenced in the above-linked article, the proportion of males in wild populations has reportedly dropped from the norm of around 30% (one in three) to 8% (one in ten), apparently due to sport hunting.

Heck Jorge, you're the one who oughtta be spouting this stuff off chapter and verse at ME.

Anyway, co-authored by that same McDonald guy, a great 2014 paper on lions actively avoiding people in cattle-ranching areas of Kenya (as opposed to Southern Tanzania where they are apparently eating people with some regularity). Seems like lions like that poached one coming off of a preserve would exhibit little avoidance behavior.

http://ewasolions.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Oriol-Cotterill-et-al-2015.pdf

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your statement above is complete nonsense.

The collar the poached lion in this case was wearing apparently was part of an twenty year study out of the University of Oxford headed by one Peter McDonald, in the case of that particular Harare preserve no one seems to be arguing the statistic of....

20 year research project? On a wild Lion? Why waste 6 years research money?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

20 year research project? On a wild Lion? Why waste 6 years research money?

That particular lion had been tracked for seven years, I dunno how long it had been a pride male but as you imply, it was approaching the end of a long and successful run anyway. A figure of 200 GPS collars used since the start of the twenty year study was given.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdie, as long as you keep spouting tree-hugging studies, I'll keep posting it's FOS. Sorry, this is BULLSHIT:

While it is not possible to determine whether, or to what extent, the trophy hunting ban contributed to negative wildlife population trends.

Bottom line: Sport hunting enhances ALL wildlife, banning destroys it. PERIOD.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdie, as long as you keep spouting tree-hugging studies, I'll keep posting it's FOS.

Egad Jorge, did you READ that paper at all?

All the way down through the surveys and feedback from PH's in a number of African nations regarding harvesting quotas and age limits?

The whole friggin' paper is about improving the SUSTAINABILITY of lion hunting.

And here's the WHOLE passage from which you cherry picked....

In Kenya, where trophy hunting has been banned since 1977, for example, protected areas now lack the buffers that are provided by hunting blocks in many other African countries, and wildlife populations have declined by 60–70% since the hunting ban [21]. While it is not possible to determine whether, or to what extent, the trophy hunting ban contributed to negative wildlife population trends, the prohibition certainly failed to improve the conservation status of wildlife (including lions) in Kenya.

In this paper, we review the extent of lion hunting in Africa, the way it is managed and identify issues which undermine sustainability.

This is no different from any paper that would be published here in the US from a University Wildlife Department re: the management of any species.

If the authors had said "the banning of trophy hunting caused a 60-70% decline of Kenya's wildlife", in the absence of specific supporting data they would have immediately have been brought to task (and indeed may have been) under peer review for that statement.

What they could and DID say is this. Banning trophy hunting meant that it was no longer profitable for private landowners surrounding the preserves to devote their lands to accommodating hunters, and following this loss, wildlife populations on those preserves plummeted.

Call them "tree huggers" if ya want, to me they just sound like impartial wildlife scientists doing their job.

One thing it seems difficult to deny is that sport hunting has had a significant effect on the nature of the mortality affecting male lions, reducing that number by two-thirds in the studied Zambian population.

I dunno any Professional Hunters, but it is hard for me to imagine they wouldn't be all about this data more than anyone. After all it is THEIR very way of life that depends upon the preservation of these wildlife resources and they NEED hard data to counter attacks by the antis.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
kee-rist, what part don't you get that ANY suggestion on banning lion hunting is bad for the species? peer review by other tree huggers? GMAFB.

IC B3

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Conservation Magazine, on trophy hunting as a benefit to conservation: http://conservationmagazine.org/2014/01/can-trophy-hunting-reconciled-conservation/, citing this case study: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13880290590913705?journalCode=uwlp20#abstract

The IUCN on trophy hunting and conservation in Africa: https://portals.iucn.org/library/efiles/documents/2009-074-En.pdf

The basis of this is simple: hunting is a proper conservation tool with many decades of proven success across the spectrum of game animals, including rare species and those with low birth rates and even predators including lions. The problem, and the failure, comes when corruption and poor management (often the same thing) enter the picture.

Zimbabwe is a poster child for corruption. Put the blame where it ought to lie.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You don't need hunting to provide money for wildlife conservation, all you need are Beanie Babies!

[Linked Image]

Of course, like most things, this will fade quickly and people will stop sending money in a month when the next flavor of the month comes along.

Of course hunting money would be 'forever', not just some month long emotional based thing.

There is NO way much of this isn't being driven by a corrupt government not get enough of the cut.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OMG, my personal troll is BROWSING THE INTERNET now.....

The basis of this is simple: hunting is a proper conservation tool

You'd have a point if anyone was debating that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
kee-rist, what part don't you get that ANY suggestion on banning lion hunting is bad for the species? peer review by other tree huggers? GMAFB.

Jorge, name-calling is no basis for an argument.

I guess I have more faith in wildlife scientists than you do, but then I've worked for a few.

Closed seasons as necessary and bag limits have long been the norm in the US, as they HAVE to be. Why should this be any different for lions?

The ONLY way lion hunting is gonna survive is with iron-clad data and completely defensible harvest.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have not called you names. Only thing I've said the ALL the articles you quoted are written by folks who are AGAINST hunting and try and couch their arguments in Global-Warming-like cooked data.
And WHATEVER makes you think lion hunting (and for that matter ALL African hunting is not under strict quota and seasons and in the case of lions even stricter aging criteria? Where are you getting this notion there is open season and quotas on lion???? Well, that is what WILL happen when hunting is banned and the wogs get to run the whole show.

In Tanzania for example, the aging determination is so strict that failure to adhere is immediate cause for license revocation.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I guess I have more faith in wildlife scientists than you do, but then I've worked for a few.

Closed seasons as necessary and bag limits have long been the norm in the US, as they HAVE to be. Why should this be any different for lions?

The ONLY way lion hunting is gonna survive is with iron-clad data and completely defensible harvest.

Birdwatcher

There ARE closed seasons and bag limits on lions, as cited by multiple wildlife scientists in papers you refuse to read - that's what the quota system is and how it works. When management DOESN'T work is when corruption interferes with proper management (case in point; Zimbabwe). The only way any hunting works as a conservation tool is with properly implemented game management; corruption destroys these efforts.

Ergo, the problem isn't with the management of the game but with the corruption of the managers.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I have not called you names. Only thing I've said the ALL the articles you quoted are written by folks who are AGAINST hunting and try and couch their arguments in Global-Warming-like cooked data.
And WHATEVER makes you think lion hunting (and for that matter ALL African hunting is not under strict quota and seasons and in the case of lions even stricter aging criteria? Where are you getting this notion there is open season and quotas on lion???? Well, that is what WILL happen when hunting is banned and the wogs get to run the whole show.

In Tanzania for example, the aging determination is so strict that failure to adhere is immediate cause for license revocation.

Why, how ever could you know these things, jorge? Have you "browsed" them sufficiently and cherry picked a single study upon which you base the entirety of your argument?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LOL. For the last fifteen years, I've been fortunate enough to have gone on safari, personally know quite a few PHs who are also well-versed and educated on the subject of not only hunting but animal husbandry (Kevin Robertson comes to mind as well as Don Heath) and many, many Americans who contribute substantial financial support (in addition to MILLIONS in trophy and other fees) in ensuring wildlife survival. So yeah, bit more than internet browsing reading articles from the pocket-protector crowd with an anti-hunting agenda.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
LOL. For the last fifteen years, I've been fortunate enough to have gone on safari, personally know quite a few PHs who are also well-versed and educated on the subject of not only hunting but animal husbandry (Kevin Robertson comes to mind as well as Don Heath) and many, many Americans who contribute substantial financial support (in addition to MILLIONS in trophy and other fees) in ensuring wildlife survival. So yeah, bit more than internet browsing reading articles from the pocket-protector crowd with an anti-hunting agenda.

But, how can you possibly top this?

I ain't ever studied lions, but one summer I did supervise a crew of coeds studying red-cockaded woodpeckers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stop, you just made me laugh so hard I farted and my secretary heard it.... smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Quoted out of context again <"shrug">

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here's a little hint, Birdwatcher -

Wildlife conservation is rather (what was your word....) "complicated". Management protocols have to take into account a myriad of factors ranging from the biology of the subject animal to interactions with other species including their biology to habitat management, human interactions, and all manner of other factors. One study may find one issue, and another something different, because each study has specific study points, objectives, questions, and biases. When you factor in the human element (especially corruption), everything can go out the window.

Your basis of your entire position on one study group is fundamentally flawed as a basis for understanding game management, especially management of game so volatile in population dynamics as an apex predator, and even more compounded by the extraordinary level of corruption in the human management sphere in that study area. Looking at other studies would give a better grounding and lead to the conclusion that there are a multitude of factors in play, with hunting overall being a net positive yet corruption and vis a vis improper management being the single largest (and wholly negative) factor on the entire program and species management regime.

I'll see your "one summer supervising coeds studying woodpeckers" and raise you baccalaureate education and research in wildlife science; a master's degree in resource management; and game management program design, implementation, and enforcement. Oh, and unlike you, I do know a few PHs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Only thing I've said the ALL the articles you quoted are written by folks who are AGAINST hunting and try and couch their arguments in Global-Warming-like cooked data.

You have no evidence for that.

Where are you getting this notion there is open season and quotas on lion????

*SIGH*.... I never did. It might help if you read the papers...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This one time at bird camp....

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Quoted out of context again <"shrug">

Oh, it's very much in context as it underlies your understanding (or lack thereof) of the entire situation at hand.

Here's the thread that quote came from, and showing all the proper context: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...il_-_Now_for_some_biology..#Post10237092

You stated you don't know schit about lions but posit your woodpecker summer as enough of a qualifier to distill out the core of the entire "Cecil" issue in the (as always, bolded) excerpt you pulled from the lone study group you basis your entire position upon.

The context is that you don't know jack schit about what you're talking about.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Only thing I've said the ALL the articles you quoted are written by folks who are AGAINST hunting and try and couch their arguments in Global-Warming-like cooked data.

Your words were about needing closed seasons and bag limits; inferring that there were none on lions.

Birdwatcher

As for reading the papers - that's rich coming from Mr. "I browsed this issue" and found a single study to support his predetermined position.

The only way HUNTING works is by eliminating (as much as possible) the corruption of the humans involved in the management of the game animals. The problem in Zimbabwe isn't the hunting; it's the corruption.

Last edited by 4ager; 08/04/15.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sean, you permanently crossed over the bounds of imbecility when you brung something I had posted elsewhere here so that I could figuratively get my massed kicked, I guess.

And now as usual, when that didn't happen you are piling on words and words, quoting me out of context and raising arguments never contested.

I try and stay out of internet p&ssing matches mostly on account of they are boring to me and everyone else, and certainly on THIS specialized board, where you brought over this thread in the first place.

But, you do seem to have an unhealthy obsession with me personally.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't believe he has one with you, personally. I believe he has one with liberals, which is a good thing.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've no obsession with you; you simply can't help but make a damned fool of yourself by spouting off about stuff you know nothing about.

I brought it over here because (perish the thought) the folks in the African forum might actually know more about the subject than someone who simply "browsed" it. You continually harp on a single study group as the basis for your entire argument on game management (a subject you know nothing about) of a species you know nothing about. Folks on this subforum - those that hunt Africa - are likely to actually know something about the subject and MIGHT just be able to educate you, assuming you're intellectually honest enough to actually learn.

I quoted you specifically IN CONTEXT as relates to your comprehension of game management studies. As for piling on; if pointing out the inadequacies and inaccuracies of your position is "piling on", so be it.

You haven't a f'king clue what you're talking about, and it shows.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Birdwatcher

The fact that what you wrote (in bold) implies there arent' any seems pretty clear. No evidence they are anti-hunting? Please! since you pride yourself on being a researcher, why don't you look into who funds these kooks, but on second thought, never mind since you'll just whine about being taken out of context, or some other bullshit excuse.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

How many safaris I'm all of those years?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I try and stay out of internet p&ssing matches mostly on account of they are boring to me

Then stay out of topics you know nothing about, and ESPECIALLY quoting sources with a clear agenda and secondly if you find them (sic) boring, why do you persist in constant reclama by drivel?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Then stay out of topics you know nothing about, and ESPECIALLY quoting sources with a clear agenda

I disagree that the guy has an agenda, he has never condemned properly regulated hunting, and the RSA University source was on ways to conserve the sustainability of hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe he has one with liberals, which is a good thing

Me? Liberal? grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, I did not bring this topic to this board, anymore than I'd bring it to "handguns" "backpacking" or any other specialized forum where serious inquiries are discussed.

If I'd have even thought or a minute I wouldn't have responded here at all but just redirected it back to where it belongs, on the other forum.

Those wishing to continue are more than welcome to take it up on the "'fire" where there are a couple of related treads and the original one.

Birdwatcher

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I brought it here, for the reasons stated that people on this forum - those who hunt Africa - were likely to have knowledge and information on the issue that others (especially you) do not have.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Two, fourteen day safaris.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a few names for Birdy to "browse"...

Paula White
John Jackson
Peter Lindsey
Guy Balme
Rosemary Groom
Andy Loveridge
Luke Hunter
Philippe Chardonette
Coleen Begg
Paul Trethowan

http://www.hunterproud.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Bubye-Valley-11.mov

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Just a few names for Birdy to "browse"...

Paula White
John Jackson
Peter Lindsey
Guy Balme
Rosemary Groom
Andy Loveridge
Craig Packer
Luke Hunter
Philippe Chardonette
Coleen Begg
Paul Trethowan

http://www.hunterproud.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Bubye-Valley-11.mov

Several of them have been cited already, even though he refuses to acknowledge that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not going to get into this pissing match, but this statement is absolutely true...though I would add that TCM is among the top of the culprits and the money that trophy hunting generates gives Africans an incentive to stop poaching. It sucks that money is the motivating factor (both for the poaching and the incentive to stop it), but it is what it is...

lions (and fill in the black to include ANY African animal) survive BEACAUSE of hunting. Hunting gives them VALUE, in the form of currency, meat, etc for the indigenous populations. Without hunting, wildlife loses it's value and is soon reduced to near extinction.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Zim just rescinded the ban on cats. I knew it would not last.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
...the money that trophy hunting generates gives Africans an incentive to stop poaching. It sucks that money is the motivating factor (both for the poaching and the incentive to stop it), but it is what it is...

I don't why you think it sucks...? Money is necessary for conservation, period. Look at our wildlife conservation programs here in North America: they are funded almost entirely by hunting and fishing licenses, taxes on ammunition and sporting goods, etc. Just because the money comes from domestic wallets doesn't alter the fact that maintaining wild lands and wildlife costs money, and the only people willing to pay for it are hunters and fishermen.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I realize money is necessary for conservation. I pay way more than my fair share for tags or tag chances in 10 or so states every year.

I'm just saying that it sucks that money is the only reason Africans care about not letting elephants, lions, rhinos etc. go extinct. I am sure some exceptions exist, but for the most part Africans, especially those outside of South Africa and Namibia don't give a $hit about conservation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why the surprise?? Contrary to popular belief, the American Indian was NOT a conservationist either. Well before us palefaces slaughtered the buffalo, the Northeastern woods Indians nearly completely destroyed furred game and deer from the forests because of their own desire for European trade goods. Why should native Africans be any better????

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not surprised, at all. Is that question for me? Did my post convey that I was surprised at how Africans generally don't care about conservation? If it did I didn't mean it to.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I realize money is necessary for conservation. I pay way more than my fair share for tags or tag chances in 10 or so states every year.

I'm just saying that it sucks that money is the only reason Africans care about not letting elephants, lions, rhinos etc. go extinct. I am sure some exceptions exist, but for the most part Africans, especially those outside of South Africa and Namibia don't give a $hit about conservation.

Yes, we're on the same page here... you're right, it DOES suck that Africans don't give a rat's ass about wildlife. On the other hand, if I had been born and raised there under the awful conditions most Africans endure, wildlife conservation would probably by pretty low on my personal list as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, and I can't blame them.

I've been to quite a few $hit hole countries, and people are way more concerned with surviving and putting food on the table than anything else.

Their culture is different as its no big deal to dump their used engine oil right onto the ground and not think twice...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You might have seen this posted by a couple of folks over on the 'Fire...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/05/opinion/in-zimbabwe-we-dont-cry-for-lions.html?_r=0

Best article yet I've seen on native attitudes towards wildlife.

It is true everywhere that people are most in favor of conservation when the costs don't accrue to them personally.

I've met people who were losing their crops to elephants at the time. And personally seen the effects of crop failures (in that case drought), it ain't pretty.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Most of the tagged and tracked male lions at that preserve in Zimbabwe were eventually shot by sport hunters, and the taking of mature pride males can be predicted to often cause the deposement of the surviving pride male(s) and the death of cubs.

How is any of this controversial?

Birdwatcher

Let's look at this. Male lions do there breeding between ages 3-6 for the most part. A few might hold on a season or two more, but that's it. As they are forced out by younger, stronger males, any cubs are often killed so that the new Alpha male can start his bloodline. This strengthens the and diversifies the bloodline.

What happens to the male lions that are forced out? They don't breed anymore, and they have given their contribution to the propagantion of the species, so what to they do?

They sleep, they eat, but they no longer are breeding. Eventually, they will get old and weak, they will get injured fighting, and eventually the hyenas will bring them down and eat them alive.

I want all the Greenies out there to contemplate that - eaten alive.

Now then, tell me how taking a 6+ year old lionthreatens the survival of the species? Their job is done and the next generation is doing the breeding. Taking those lions instead of waiting for nature to take them has no effect on the species.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You are wasting your time with him Jeff. He continues to cite fixed studies on lion hunting, stating that hunting in Zambia and Tanzania negatively affected lion populations, again not discerning between sport hunting and indiscriminate killing by the locals to control them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great article:

So let me lay out some facts for you...

- Without hunting lions have no economic value for the local people or ranchers. In fact they're a giant menacing pain in the ass since they tend to eat the locals' cattle as well as occasionally the locals themselves. There's really no upside at all to having an apex predator like a lion prowling around your village or ranch; only bad things can happen. Yes, there are photo-safaris but unless you're near tourist areas and are set up for it, there's not much money in this. So the reality is that without any economic incentive to keep the lions around, the locals end up driving them out or just poisoning them.

And here to paraphrase Jack Dunphy the alternative to allowing hunting is not perfection - it's the alternative. With no hunting at all you won't get a Lion King-Simba happy existence on the savannah, instead you'll see a slow gradual extinction of lions as a species due to loss of habitat and eradication by humans. Lions will not die out from hunting - rather it will be because none of the locals want them around or care enough about their continued existence to protect them. Ultimately the lions will live or die by whether the local people allow lions to coexist with them.

But with controlled trophy hunting, the lions suddenly do have economic value. Because the hunting is so strictly limited hunters will pay a lot to be allowed to take a trophy - $30,000 and up. And $30,000 goes a long way in Africa. This money is split between the land owner, the local villagers, and the government. For the land owner and villagers this makes up on any losses they might have suffered from the lions, and it also means that they have a strong incentive to protect and maintain the local lions e.g. maintaining water pools, not putting up fences, watching for poachers, etc. The money from hunting is a major source of revenue for some remote villages. The revenue to the government helps pay for full-time rangers, park wardens and equipment to protect the lion populations.

- Africa is a huge place. Bigger than most people can really imagine. So to say that lions are endangered is both correct and false. Depending on where you are in Africa lions may be endangered or they may be actually over-populated. Due to their territorial nature both may be true - too many lions in one area but very few in another nearby region. Logistically it's not possible to move lions hundreds of miles away to open areas so you have to manage the population locally. And that means allowing controlled hunting.

- Adult male lions do not die peacefully of old age. They tend to die from injuries sustained in battles with younger males or from starvation from being driven out of their territory. Both of which tend to be unpleasant, lingering deaths. This is the reality of male lion life. Also only a few breeding males are needed in an area to maintain and grow a lion population. So a mature adult male like Cecil who was close to the average life span of a male lion in the wild (10-14 years) is the most expendable member of any lion population.

Zimbabwe has a population of lions estimated around 1,680 and on average 10-40 lions a year are taken through hunting which is approximately 1-2% of the population - less than the natural death rate of adult lions. But the permit fees from each hunted lion make a huge difference to the overall lion population. This isn't just theory - there are empirical results backing this up with elephant populations:

Anti-hunting groups succeeded in getting Kenya to ban all hunting in 1977. Since then, its population of large wild animals has declined between 60 and 70 percent. The country's elephant population declined from 167,000 in 1973 to just 16,000 in 1989. Poaching took its toll on elephants because of their damage to both cropland and people. Today Kenya wildlife officials boast a doubling of the country's elephant population to 32,000, but nearly all are in protected national parks where poaching can be controlled. With only 8 percent of its land set aside as protected areas, it is no wonder that wildlife in general and elephants in particular have trouble finding hospitable habitat.

But in Zimbabwe controlled hunting was allowed and hunting revenues shared through the CAMPFIRE program:

The numbers attest to the program's success. Ten years after the program began, wildlife populations had increased by 50 percent. By 2003, elephant numbers had doubled from 4,000 to 8,000. The gains have not just been for wildlife, however. Between 1989 and 2001, CAMPFIRE generated more than $20 million in direct income, the vast majority of which came from hunting. During that period, the program benefitted an estimated 90,000 households and had a total economic impact of $100 million.

The results go beyond the CAMPFIRE areas. Between 1989 and 2005, Zimbabwe's total elephant population more than doubled from 37,000 to 85,000, with half living outside of national parks. Today, some put the number as high as 100,000, even with trophy hunters such as Parsons around. All of this has occurred with an economy in shambles, regime uncertainty, and mounting socio-political challenges.

- Note that only hunters with proper permits and PH guides are allowed to hunt lions. The PH is responsible for obtaining all the permits and knowing all the local restrictions on hunting and knowing which animals can and can't be legally taken. So Dr. Walter Palmer was completely dependent on the PH and local guide when it came to shooting a lion. So if Cecil was shot illegally, the fault is all on the PH and crew. It's ironic that the person facing the most hate from all this (Palmer) is in fact the one most innocent of any charges of poaching.

So the bottom line is that if you actually care about the survival of lions as a species, you should support controlled trophy hunting. Hunters like Walter Palmer who paid $55,000 for the hunting permit have done far, far more to actually preserve real world lions in Africa than all of the hand-wringing celebrities and any of you reading this post. Ironically the weeping over Cecil and calls to ban all hunting of lions in Africa out of First World emotionalism may end up actually dooming them as a species. But everyone would still get to feel awesomely smug about their love of lions and general moral superiority from the comfort of their armchair .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Let's look at this. Male lions do there breeding between ages 3-6 for the most part. A few might hold on a season or two more, but that's it. As they are forced out by younger, stronger males, any cubs are often killed so that the new Alpha male can start his bloodline. This strengthens the and diversifies the bloodline.

Let us presume we are both on the side of science and solid data.

Most times when I post stuff on these boards its for general interest.

This "Birdwatcher is against lion hunting" mantra has been a flat puzzle to me from the beginning.

I posted links from the pertinent wildlife researchers indicating that in Zambia the proportion of male lions in hunted populations had fallen to 10% as opposed to an expected 30% of the population, and that an over-take of males in Tanzania was believed to be responsible for a decline in hunted lion populations there.

These are the sort of researchers and research projects that wildlife bag limits are designed around in the first place.

From one of these papers it was pointed out that a major benefit of legal hunting was the formation of privately-owned hunting preserves around the protected public lands, these apparently forming a buffer layer, patrolled by people who benefit directly from hosting hunts, between the wildlife on the preserves and the local populace who might otherwise poach.

I had never seen that mentioned here and posted that too.

Take me to task if you wish on this; having experienced corruption first-hand over there during three-years' residence living at the mud-wall village level, I questioned how much of the hefty trophy fees actually reach the grass roof level as intended.

And I wondered if providing goods and services for 100+ non-hunting eco-tourists for every one safari company-supported hunter (which companies in Zimbabwe apparently buy most of their supplies in South Africa) might actually benefit the locals more than co-opted and mis-directed trophy fees.

In another great link posted over on the 'Fire, THE Richard Leakey hisself (I got to hear him speak once), who would probably otherwise like the lion researchers be labelled an "antihunting POS" here, emphatically states otherwise.

Apparently the tourist lodges and such ain't benefitting the locals, and do create a noxious footprint. Question answered.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I apologize for this diversion if it is but it is at least tangentially related to the topic at hand. I'm truly seeking some insight from others here with African experience; I do have some thoughts but by no means have settled into any firm view.

I'll take Ghana as a a example if that's fair. Here is a country with some fifty years plus of independence from European rule. It does have the veneer of Christianity due to the Portugeese slave trade in centuries past and is largely without religious strife at the moment. In spite of that history of slave traders it is largely sympathetic to Christianity claiming a majority, say 75% claiming Christianity on paper. Yet the concept of stewardship (Christianity is the original and true Green Movement in the best sense of the phrase) is mostly completely lost on them.

Those fifty years of independence have Accra looking apocalyptic with scores of half-finished windowless, grey structures apparently abandoned midway through construction. Infrastructure is a maybe with pot holed roads and traffic lights working half time. There are large slums resting on garbage dumps with never quenched smoldering sending plumes of smoke up between dwellings. Water apparently is delivered in the city in liter size plastic bags which are strewn over the landscape and seashore. Garbage is everywhere in the city setting.

It's not that there aren't bright individuals. I know native Ghanian physicians who went to Russian medical schools after first having to learn Russian! Not an easy run-up there.

The vast majority are uneducated as free, public education stops with the ninth grade IIRC and are peddling pineapple, tilapia, pencils or what have you.. Ramshackle huts are everywhere along with the ubiquitous cooking fires much as five hundred years ago. This is even more the rule in-country where feral dogs roam in pack; rusty, banged up vehicles lie in the ditches where they died.

Ghana does have some natural resources such as rubber trees in expansive forests, gold, and raising tilapia commercially is huge for world markets. So there is potential for some wealth.

My question: and I will be deemed racist by some because of it. Is there something about the black race and inherent in their body politic that cripples them so with self rule? Or that never allows them above a very low threshold of modernity? We could look at many examples of this, Zim being perhaps iconic for this, for total collapse on most important measures of the quality of life.

Namibia is an exception--yet--as strong German influence is still present after only twenty some years of independence. The RSA probably too after centuries of Dutch rule but there are many troublesome signs developing in the RSA since independence. But on the whole in Sub Sahara Africa life is difficult, tenuous, and primitive for tha vast majority.

This of course directly affects all wild game as those living the subsistence life style in the bush are concerned with what protein can they next put over the fire or sell without giving a a wit generally of any game population five years down the road.

Why do "black nations" languish so?

Again, please pardon this side road topic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I didn't finish my thought about the collared lions. If they are out of the breeding cycle, who cares if they are taken by JG from Midland or a pack of wild dogs? At least JG would have contributed something to the conservation and anti poaching. At least JG would have been able to honor the memory of the lion years after he would have otherwise been fertilizer.

Lions don't live to be 70 years old and write memoirs. The recent taking of the 13 year old lion is a joke, that lion is a geezer and Mother Nature would have taken care of him within a year. A 13-14 year old wild lion is rare.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This "Birdwatcher is against lion hunting" mantra has been a flat puzzle to me from the beginning.

And I wondered if providing goods and services for 100+ non-hunting eco-tourists for every one safari company-supported hunter (which companies in Zimbabwe apparently buy most of their supplies in South Africa) might actually benefit the locals more than co-opted and mis-directed trophy fees.

In another great link posted over on the 'Fire, THE Richard Leakey hisself (I got to hear him speak once), who would probably otherwise like the lion researchers be labelled an "antihunting POS" here, emphatically states otherwise.

Apparently the tourist lodges and such ain't benefitting the locals, and do create a noxious footprint. Question answered.

Birdwatcher

I don't see your posts as an attack on hunting, but some questions you pose the anti's have co-oped and perverted for their gain.

In Africa, everything must pay its own way. Maybe this will help someone out there who has never been to Africa or doesn't understand what dynamics are at play.

1.) Dangerous game and people cannot co-habitat. Lions eat livestock, elephants eat crops. If the wildlife eats the crops and livestock, people starve. People aren't going to starve without a fights, so they will poach (KILL OFF) the dangerous game and eat the edible game they can readily poach.

2.) The population of Africa has exploded. There is a whole lot less of "wild unsettled" land. Too damn many people. As people encroach on the range of wild game, you get #1 above.

3.) Wild, unsettled Africa now largely only exists in National Parks and Game Management Areas (GMAs). Most of these GMSs boarder the national parks. They serve as a buffer between settled areas and the park. You cannot have settlements right up to the edge of the park boundaries without #1 above.

GMAs allow animals to move in and out of the park without immediately getting hammered by the locals for food, and it prevents them from raiding right outside the park for food every night and running back in before dawn for protection.

The GMAs protect the animals and protect the people. Without them, more poaching, less animals. Conservation can carefully control animal populations both in the GMAs and INSIDE the park by setting hunting quotes for the GMAs. Overpopulation of let's say elephants will force some out of the park. Without GMAs, they become crop raiders and get poached by the score. In GMAs, they can be controlled.

Hunting and GMAs also fund the Game Guards and the anti poaching efforts in an effective way.

As to eco tourism and photo's only? It doesn't do much to maintain stabile populations. An area can only sustain so many before the vegetation gets decimated. Especially true of elephants. They can wreck the vegetation of an area when there is drought or overpopulation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
George, aside the fact the WHEEL was unknown in Sub-Saharan Africa until the 1500s and no evidence of a written language (as opposed to pictographs), maybe JJHack will chime in and verify his story about how he built framed wooden windows and doors for his employees' homes to keep not only the weather, but critters out. He left for the US and when he came back six months later, ALL the wood had been stripped from the frames and burned as firewood when all the had to do was walk another twn yards into the Mopane bush and get all the wood they wanted. The operative words here was the "walk ten yards"....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jorge, that's my exactly my point. Obvious it's s complex thing but I guess the bottom line question would be why as a race are they not more industrious.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdwatcher will be along soon...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jorge, that's my exactly my point. Obvious it's s complex thing but I guess the bottom line question would be why as a race are they not more industrious.

Dunno.

Jorge's explanation is a simple one that begins with the Germans near the top.

I see people as individuals, race being irrelevant on religious, biological and legal grounds.

In the classroom kids over there were far more mature and wanting to excel in their studies so as to get out of there.

Personalities in the classroom were pretty much the same as over here (extrovert/introvert, class clown etc...), some were smarter than me.

I will say that most University graduates, especially doctors, left to live overseas, for the same reasons we would. When I was there there were more Ghanaian doctors practicing in Germany than there were in Ghana.

Likewise, we Peace Corps teaches were brought in to alleviate a shortage created in part by Ghanaian teachers leaving to teach in Nigeria, the Naira being worth far more than the Cedi. Plus we would live in places most educated professional from there would not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually Germans and Jews. Yeah so next time we need a Missile Program, we'll be sure to go to Zimbabwe to look for Rocket Scientists. How about that wheel and written language, not to mention the ripping of the window frames anecdote.

The Peace Corps was another of those do-good liberal programs that did more harm than good. Here we came to places for us to tell them, hey, if u get educated you can be just like us in the US which of course all it did was create false hopes and allowed the Soviet Block to say "hey if you let us in there we'll take it all from the evil rich Europeans and Americans and give it all to you", you know, like democrats... Oh, and you let those Ghanan doctors work on you... 200,000 years ago we all started the same....

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/10/15.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
George, aside the fact the WHEEL was unknown in Sub-Saharan Africa until the 1500s and no evidence of a written language (as opposed to pictographs), maybe JJHack will chime in and verify his story about how he built framed wooden windows and doors for his employees' homes to keep not only the weather, but critters out. He left for the US and when he came back six months later, ALL the wood had been stripped from the frames and burned as firewood when all the had to do was walk another twn yards into the Mopane bush and get all the wood they wanted. The operative words here was the "walk ten yards"....

You could put a trash dumpster on every block and they would continue to throw their trash in the street. That's the way they are.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdwatcher will be along in a bit...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Birdwatcher doesn't know whether to wind his ass or scratch his watch on this subject. In that other thread he said he was finished responding anyway, didn't he?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He's like TRH...LAST WORD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It happens at least a couple of times at the major hunters' conventions. I'm shown a picture of a magnificent lion, so resplendent in mane that it is extremely unlikely that it's a wild lion. Of course it's a South African lion, so now there is little doubt about the actual circumstances.....

Hunting of almost all animals -- by bushmen as well as overseas visitors -- was banned by the Botswana government to halt the decline of springbok and other species hit by habitat loss and illegal hunting.

At best what this ban could amount to is a once-in-forever opportunity to compare unhunted vs. hunted wild lion populations in similar settings, and to regulate harvests accordingly. Tho I personally don't believe this ban will last very long.

On the sustainability of wild lion harvest, an excellent paper here.....

Several studies have demonstrated that excessive trophy harvests have driven lion population declines..... Problems include: unscientific bases for quota setting; excessive quotas and off-takes in some countries; fixed quotas which encourage over-harvest; and lack of restrictions on the age of lions that can be hunted. Key interventions needed to make lion hunting more sustainable, include implementation of: enforced age restrictions; improved trophy monitoring; adaptive management of quotas and a minimum length of lion hunts of at least 21 days.

And as for benefitting the locals, do you really think the hefty fees paid in a place like Zimbabwe for a lion permit actually filter down much to the grass roofs level?

Birdwatcher

Birdy,

A few things here I just have to comment on. Tanzania has some big maned lions, especially around the Serengeti, so a cat with a Rock Star hairdo is not necessarily a canned RSA lion.

Next, note the comment about ending hunting, both sport and native due to habitat loss and ILLEGAL hunting. That illegal stuff is poaching, much of it for meat. That is what decimates the numbers. Snares are indiscriminate. I've seen its effects first hand in Zambia. The locals use game as their own grocery store and regulations be damned. Was in on the capture of a dozen poachers in one day. Four here, two there, then another three - that sort of thing. They didn't care that poaching was illegal. When caught, they kinda shrugged it off.

Lastly, I don't see what a 21 day minimum for a lion hunt does for the numbers except to make them very, very expensive. That limits those hunts to the ultra rich, and I guess fills the government coffers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Peace Corps was another of those do-good liberal programs that did more harm than good.

I'm happy you think it had any effect one way or another.

What it did for a lot of folks in the sticks in those places was to give them a chance to meet actual Americans, a common comment was "we like you Americans, only your government we don't like", but then, that probably applies to lots of places that never had Peace Corps.

What it did for me and thousands of others is give them a chance to live in those places, under those circumstances.

What it was for me specifically was a splendid three-year adventure. Back then before cell phones you really did disappear from the world at your work site for months at a time (you had to come out at least quarterly for a 5cc shot of hepatitis gamma gobulin). In my case no running water, no electricity, nothing but local foods, no regular contact with outsiders or outside support.

I did get sick, everyone did to some extent, and I weighed fifteen pounds less for the duration while there than even my high school weight (where I had been an actual distance runner crazy).

In that setting, I was a good teacher, teaching to British "O" level curricula and standards out there on a chalkboard in the boonies. (I learned to write with both hands, there were no textbooks but mine, I practically had to write one on the chalk board).

When working with the vaccination team I can state for sure that several extra infants and kids got vaccinated thanks to my personal input.

All of that, and with all the truly remarkable stuff I got to do, and with the coup and associated hardships we had to endure, it totally rocked cool

Coming back to the 'States again was much harder than going. No one here could relate.

Anyways, that's what I got out of it. Make of it whatever you want.

It IS different today, the world is a harsher place, attacks on American women are more frequent everywhere, Radical Islam has penetrated even West Africa, and worst of all Peace Corps gives you friggin' satellite cell phones as they must so they can track and communicate with you because they are responsible for your safety.

Heck, even your mom can call you anytime (as mine prob'ly would have done pretty much every day grin)

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well hey, thanks for a reasoned response.

It is a puzzle to me why Botswana would shut down most sport hunting in response to poaching depleting antelope populations. I could be wrong, but having known some Botswanans, I had the impression that Botswana had its act together, relative to the surrounding Black African nations anyway.

Casual snaring to supplement the diet or for local sale seems damnably hard to prevent. It was widely practiced where I was too, as a normal and traditional part of subsistence farming, and what was captured was typically killed and eaten, down to the rodent-size level. In fact little kids would customarily harvest the village weaver bird colonies for grown nestlings much as our kids might collect wild apples. One evening in a remote village, a freshly snared and still warm porcupine was butchered and cooked for myself and a buddy before our eyes (it was so strong-tasting as to be almost inedible, but good manners dictated we eat of it).

The twenty-one day thing puzzled me too, maybe that recommendation was to allow local lion populations to be thoroughly canvassed before choosing the most appropriate target. But then, if that is the case, why shouldn't the PH's be allowed to do that independently (as I presume they do already) before the client comes in to shoot?

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have heard that Botswanna was paid off by the WWF and other Anti's that convinced them that photo safaris would solve all the problems.

The poaching I described above was organized meat hunting, complete with drying racks and hundreds of pounds of meat. They would pile it up on bicycles and walk the bikes out of the parks and GMA to a road and get picked up and the meat went to market.

The 21 day thing in most counties is a nod to revenue. Cats are glamour game and the allocations are small. These countries have them, and want the hunters in country spending $, so they make it that way. Also, must give the PH's a reasonable number of days to produce one. Takes the pressure off.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The poaching I described above was organized meat hunting, complete with drying racks and hundreds of pounds of meat. They would pile it up on bicycles and walk the bikes out of the parks and GMA to a road and get picked up and the meat went to market.

Hard to imagine now but I did not have a camera while in Africa (this was way before digital, and even those who had 'em took photos only sparingly, sources of film often being far away).

North of the Mission Hospital where I worked school holidays was a sparsely populated ninety-mile stretch of plains reaching to the next paved road, the middle fifty miles of this stretch being wooded Savannah devoid of even dirt tracks for vehicles. Even the Mission Hospital had no accurate maps as to what was back there.

But, like I expect most wild areas in Africa it was exploited by the surrounding locals. In the patches of forest where oil palms grew, the fermented sap of this tree was distilled into crude alcohol, and poachers killed and dried "bush meat", both dried meat and drums of alcohol being carried out on the heads of porters who made a poor living that way.

Me and a buddy of mine took a week to cross it on foot, in the rainy season so we would have both cloud cover and water. We brought little food, depending upon the customary hospitality of any anticipated locals. We did pack bags of ordinary sugar (bought ahead of time at a supermarket in neighboring Togo) in our backpacks to give out as gifts in return for lodging and hospitality, sugar being a valued commodity back in the sticks.

To cross at all we first had to ask permission via the bush telegraph through an African acquaintance who lived at the edge of the plains, and then wait each day of the trip for people going in our same general direction as we would otherwise have become hopelessly lost.

Walking on established footpaths was the only option as the elephant grass (that was what we called it) was at that season both dense and sharp-edged, crowding the path, about five feet in height.

Fortunately my buddy did have a camera.

Anyhoo... this is my favorite Africa photo of the few I have...

A poachers' collection of huts where we stayed one night, somewhere in the boonies, Ghana, 1981. These guys brung out the best they had for the photo...

[Linked Image]

This is the best blow=up I can get of the low res scan of my old print. The gun is a Greener smoothbore on a Martini-Henry action. These guys reloaded round lead balls over black powder in the brass shells.

[Linked Image]

Besides running lines of snares what they said they did is go out with miner's carbide lanterns at night, spotlighting game.

That trip was the closest I personally ever came to wild elephants, or was told so. At one point we came to a place where it looked like two large objects had pushed through the grass across the savannah, crossing and travelling perpendicular to our footpath and passing on out of sight. The guy showing us the way, a fast-walking poacher carrying a gun (a crude locally produced percussion muzzleloader) and with a small black and white dog trotting at his heels, told us elephants had passed that way the night before.

Note the long sleeves, the most valued article of clothing back there that we saw were London Fog raincoats and the like, the tall grass crowding the paths was friggin' sharp, and a substantial raincoat gave good protection against the grass as well as conferring some protection against tsetses and other biting flies.

The poachers told us they generally didn't mess with the elephants, not having anything big enough to shoot one.

At the time remnant populations of both elephants and lions were said to still exist in that area, I am sure they are gone now though.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dunno.

Jorge's explanation is a simple one that begins with the Germans near the top.

I see people as individuals, race being irrelevant on religious, biological and legal grounds.

In the classroom kids over there were far more mature and wanting to excel in their studies so as to get out of there.

Personalities in the classroom were pretty much the same as over here (extrovert/introvert, class clown etc...), some were smarter than me.

I will say that most University graduates, especially doctors, left to live overseas, for the same reasons we would. When I was there there were more Ghanaian doctors practicing in Germany than there were in Ghana.

Likewise, we Peace Corps teaches were brought in to alleviate a shortage created in part by Ghanaian teachers leaving to teach in Nigeria, the Naira being worth far more than the Cedi. Plus we would live in places most educated professional from there would not.

You say race is irrelevant in regard to general qualities yet place "Germans near the top." laugh

The best and brightest leaving isn't the complete answer either as this is a centuries' old phenomenon.

Anyway, I have digressed enough.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 08/10/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You say race is irrelevant in regard to general qualities yet place "Germans near the top." laugh

The best and brightest leaving isn't the complete answer either as this is a centuries' old phenomenon.

No, it was Jorge says that about the Germans, I have problems with any theory that doesn't elevate the Native Irish to Master Race status wink

And the "best and brightest"; to me the salient point is that there IS a best and brightest. Like that former Zimbawean village boy now studying Biochemistry in university here and wondering why the heck Americans are all bent out of shape about a dead lion.

Others see "races", I see a crapload of individuals.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man is a product of heredity and environment.

I've been all over the world, South America, Africa, Asia. You will find the poor, peasant, natives living in primitive conditions throughout.

Part is poverty, part is IQ, part is race, part is religion. There is just a certain segment of the population that doesn't have the gray matter upstairs.

All of the underdeveloped countries, and some developed, have similar circumstances - certain groups like the aborigines, primitives, still partially nomadic.

I'm not as bashful about sounding racist. There IS something to believing some races are just not as capable as others.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
I have heard that Botswanna was paid off by the WWF and other Anti's that convinced them that photo safaris would solve all the problems.

The 21 day thing in most counties is a nod to revenue. Cats are glamour game and the allocations are small. These countries have them, and want the hunters in country spending $, so they make it that way. Also, must give the PH's a reasonable number of days to produce one. Takes the pressure off.

That is EXACTLY what happened and they are already re-considering, particularly with the amount of destruction the overpopulated elephants are doing and of course, since there is a LOT LESS money to pay rangers due to the photo safaris which bring in about 1/10th of what sport hunting does, the poachers are running rampant.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Could centuries of malnutrition have contributed to the lack of or development of intelligence or higher IQ in some of these areas?

Problem solving is non existent and instead the round peg just falls through the square hole.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The experiment involved 5 Obama son's, a cage, a banana, a ladder and, crucially, a water hose.

The 5 Obama son's would be locked in a cage, after which a banana was hung from the ceiling with, fortunately for the Obama son's (or so it seemed…), a ladder placed right underneath it.

Of course, immediately, one of the Obama son's would race towards the ladder, intending to climb it and grab the banana. However, as soon as he would start to climb, the sadist (euphemistically called “scientist”) would spray the Obama son with ice-cold water. In addition, however, he would also spray the other four Obama son's…

When a second Obama son's was about to climb the ladder, the sadist would, again, spray the Obama son with ice-cold water, and apply the same treatment to its four fellow inmates; likewise for the third climber and, if they were particularly persistent (or dumb), the fourth one. Then they would have learned their lesson: they were not going to climb the ladder again – banana or no banana.

In order to gain further pleasure or, I guess, prolong the experiment, the sadist outside the cage would then replace one of the Obama son's with a new one. As can be expected, the new guy would spot the banana, think “why don’t these idiots go get it?!” and start climbing the ladder. Then, however, it got interesting: the other four Obama son's, familiar with the cold-water treatment, would run towards the new guy – and beat him up. The new guy, blissfully unaware of the cold-water history, would get the message: no climbing up the ladder in this cage – banana or no banana.

When the beast outside the cage would replace a second Obama son with a new one, the events would repeat themselves – Obama son runs towards the ladder; other Obama son's beat him up; new Obama son does not attempt to climb again – with one notable detail: the first new Obama son, who had never received the cold-water treatment himself (and didn’t even know anything about it), would, with equal vigour and enthusiasm, join in the beating of the new guy on the block.
When the researcher replaced a third Obama son, the same thing happened; likewise for the fourth until, eventually, all the Obama son's had been replaced and none of the ones in the cage had any experience or knowledge of the cold-water treatment.

Then, a new Obama son was introduced into the cage. It ran toward the ladder only to get beaten up by the others. Yet, this monkey turned around and asked “why do you beat me up when I try to get the banana?” The other four Obama son's stopped, looked at each other slightly puzzled and, finally, shrugged their shoulders: “Don’t know. But that’s the way we do things around Fergason”…

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now then, tell me how taking a 6+ year old lionthreatens the survival of the species? Their job is done and the next generation is doing the breeding. Taking those lions instead of waiting for nature to take them has no effect on the species.

The "normal" ratio of adult male lions in a wild lion population is around 30%. In Zambia in those lion populations protected and sustained by hunting it reportedly got down to 10%.

The question arises as to what is the normal annual mortality rate of male lions as this directly determines how many survive to age six ie. legitimately huntable males.

Given the sex ratio at birth is close to 50/50, obviously about half of all male lion cubs do not survive long enough to make that normal 30% of the population, likely most of this mortality occurs shortly after leaving the birth pride.

OK given that countable 30% male of the whole lion population probably starts at around age two. If we assume a mortality rate for adult male lions not owning a pride at 25% per year (likely an underestimate of mortality) only about one in three wild male lions out there would be in the huntable age 6 and above age bracket.

If male lion mortality is greater than 25% annually, the proportion of age 6+ males would be correspondingly less, maybe as low as the 10% take recommended by Oxford University people.

Obviously, if wild male lion numbers fell by 2/3 from 30% of the whole lion population to 10% of the whole lion population as occurred in Zambia, more than the 6+ age bracket was being taken.

Birdwatcher

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Birdy,

Your conclusions are inaccurate because your assumptions are speculative.

You "assume" 25% fatalities per year among male lions with no evidence. In fact I suspect the mortality rate, after they become adults, is very low for a few years and then accelerates as they acquire or attempt to conquer prides, and gets still higher as they get old.

Further, a reduction from 30% of the population to 10% doesn't withstand the reality test. I don't know about Botswana, but the statistics for Zimbabwe-the total number of male lions taken by hunters each year compared with the total estimated population--come nowhere close to accounting for 20% of the estimated total population, whether male, female, cubs or LGBT lions are counted.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe
Man is a product of heredity and environment.

I've been all over the world, South America, Africa, Asia. You will find the poor, peasant, natives living in primitive conditions throughout.

Part is poverty, part is IQ, part is race, part is religion. There is just a certain segment of the population that doesn't have the gray matter upstairs.

All of the underdeveloped countries, and some developed, have similar circumstances - certain groups like the aborigines, primitives, still partially nomadic.

I'm not as bashful about sounding racist. There IS something to believing some races are just not as capable as others.

If you haven't read the book Guns, Germs, and Steel, you should. It's not considered a politically incorrect book, for reasons that escape me...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
our conclusions are inaccurate because your assumptions are speculative.

You "assume" 25% fatalities per year among male lions with no evidence. In fact I suspect the mortality rate, after they become adults, is very low for a few years and then accelerates as they acquire or attempt to conquer prides, and gets still higher as they get old.

Indeed, out of general interest, I've been looking all over for survivorship curves for male (as opposed to female) lions. Surely young adult male lions are most often obliged to occupy the most marginal of habitats.

The Jouberts, those famous Belgian filmmakers out of Botswana, claim only one in eight males make it to "adulthood", however they define that.

But, if one is out searching for a 6+ year old male lion, and one finds twice as many younger male lions in the whole area population, then my speculative mortality stats would hold approximately true overall.

Anyhoo... the 10% figure (also quoted as 8%) comes from a hunted lion population in Zambia.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
f you haven't read the book Guns, Germs, and Steel, you should. It's not considered a politically incorrect book, for reasons that escape me...

Ya know Doc, and this is gonna sound ironic coming from me, I find Guns, Germs and Steel to be speculative grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I find historical facts to be on point, hence, we didn't use scientists from Africa for NASA....

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Zambia Shmambia! In Zimbabwe the number of lions taken annually by trophy hunters is nowhere near enough to account for only one of eight reaching adulthood.

When I hunted out of Camp Mukanga in Dande North, we figured there were four prides of lions, based on tracks and evidence from our trial cameras. We could guesstimate how many were in each pride. That many lions needed to eat 765 buffalo each year, we calculated. The place was crawling with buffalo and the young male lions, which form their own small prides, certainly did not have to live in any "marginal areas."

And, contrary to the opinion of some, the PH did not know where all of them were or have them pinned down to specific places.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
First off, congrats on some wonderful experiences which I'm sure are the envy of most here cool

On the topic of wild lion population demographics, somewhere all of this data must have been compiled, it is hard for me to believe lions haven't been exhaustively studied.

One would think that prides of females, in addition to having good survivorship once past the cub stage, would be expected to over time eventually increase to the point where they occupy all the best habitat, said prides accompanied by dominant pride males. But apparently your experience has been there was also room for groups of bachelor males in those same areas.

Another point to consider is that for the take to be sustainable, the harvest of 6+ year-old males could not exceed the annual recruitment of males into that same age class. If the annual take were only a fraction of the whole population of 6+ year-old males, but exceeded even marginally the number of new males entering that age class each year, then the population would decline.

I can't think of any other species where the take of some individuals also affects the survivorship of the other individuals in the social group. There has GOT to be a good and current source book for all of this data out there somewhere, compiling recent studies, if there ain't, then someone should write one.

Within Zimbabwe, from what I understand, the hunting of lions at the Hwange Preserve where the now infamous 'Cecil' was shot, had been suspended previously for a few years due to a perceived overtake and subsequent decline in lion populations.

Again, congrats on some awesome hunts cool

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not believe anyone could browse enough on the internet to be a African Hunter which knows it all. There is something about experiencing the hunt for your self which could never be learned on the internet. Pictures are worth a thousand words but experience is worth millions.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This is pretty well done IMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimy
Could centuries of malnutrition have contributed to the lack of or development of intelligence or higher IQ in some of these areas?

Problem solving is non existent and instead the round peg just falls through the square hole.

Absolutely YES.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
This is pretty well done IMO.

I thought so, too, and have two questions to those in the know:

1) Was the lion hunted by Dr. Palmer an "ideal huntable male lion" by the definition given by DSC as "at least six years of age and not known to head a pride or be part of a coalition heading a pride with dependent cubs.”?

2) Was the lion hunted by Dr. Palmer hunted in accordance to for example the Safari Club International Hunter Code of ethics?

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As far as we know...

1) Despite his advanced age, the lion the dentist shot was a dominant pride male with cubs. So while certainly at the very end of its productive lifetime by any measure, one clause of the DSC standards was not followed.

2) How the lion was actually taken does not seem to have been unethical: It came to a bait, at night, within bow range of Dr. Palmer. I'm sure that everyone, including Dr. Palmer, wishes that the resulting arrow wound had proven more immediately fatal. The lion was found and killed with a rifle 40 hours later.

Why the hunt was illegal was because the private property (adjoining the Hwange Park) upon on which the lion was first hit with an arrow did not have a lion quota (an allocated take of lions) at that time, hence taking the lion in that location at that time was legally an act of poaching.

This violation appears to be the basis of the criminal charges against the landowner and the PH. Dr Palmer has stated he did not know that the taking of the lion was illegal at that location when he participated in the hunt. It does seem that he would be held at least initially liable under similar circumstances in here in the US.

Whether Palmer knew this particular lion hunt was illegal or not, there is some considerable irony here.

Some years previously Dr. Palmer had been convicted here in the US of illegally shooting a black bear in a zone where the taking of bears was illegal, transporting the carcass 40 miles to a legal zone, and then lying to Fish and Game officers about where the bear had been taken.

According to some folks over at Accurate Reloading this had been a guided hunt. Dr. Palmer and two other individuals involved lied at the check station, and then reportedly lied repeatedly during the subsequent investigation.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well you don't know. If you actually read the DSC policy on cubs it clearly states "not known to have cubs". Unless the cubs are present and in the vicinity, that is virtually impossible. Aging remains the prime standard for taking a male lion (at least 6.5 years or older) and even this is hard to do, particularly if the lion is +/- the six year mark. "Cecil" was thirteen plus so in this case he was a perfect lion to shoot. The ONLY, ONLY, bone of contention of this whole mess is whether the legitimate quota the Professional Hunter had was for the area the lion was taken. Bottom line this whole mess was blown out of proportion by the anti-hunting crowd in order to ban ALL hunting and to port more funds into their cooked-books Global Warming bogus tactics. Even UC BERKLEY GETS IT:
"As points out, regulated hunting—even poorly regulated hunting, as seems the case with Cecil in Zimbabwe—isn’t the driving force in the decline of the African lion, which has fallen from a continental population of around 200,000 to fewer than 20,000 today. Unregulated hunting is the main culprit: Industrial-scale poaching and bushmeat hunting."

link

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/12/15.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Sigh"....

Let it be known that I wrote....

So while certainly at the very end of its productive lifetime by any measure, one clause of the DSC standards was not followed.

So your bolded quote should properly have been...

So while certainly at the very end of its productive lifetime by any measure, one clause of the DSC standards was not followed.

With respect to that particular lion, it does seem likely that it was indeed well-known locally, being a favored subject for the people driving the vehicles for the tourist photo-ops in the adjacent park.

Presumably when hunting over bait at night, the target is illuminated at least well enough to determine the general characteristics of the lion, and this lion was exceptional.

Also, the illegal hunt was arranged adjacent to that particular lion's territory.

Whether all that translates to a purposeful take of that one individual I dunno.

Birdwatcher

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
First off, congrats on some wonderful experiences which I'm sure are the envy of most here cool

On the topic of wild lion population demographics, somewhere all of this data must have been compiled, it is hard for me to believe lions haven't been exhaustively studied.

One would think that prides of females, in addition to having good survivorship once past the cub stage, would be expected to over time eventually increase to the point where they occupy all the best habitat, said prides accompanied by dominant pride males. But apparently your experience has been there was also room for groups of bachelor males in those same areas.

Another point to consider is that for the take to be sustainable, the harvest of 6+ year-old males could not exceed the annual recruitment of males into that same age class. If the annual take were only a fraction of the whole population of 6+ year-old males, but exceeded even marginally the number of new males entering that age class each year, then the population would decline.

I can't think of any other species where the take of some individuals also affects the survivorship of the other individuals in the social group. There has GOT to be a good and current source book for all of this data out there somewhere, compiling recent studies, if there ain't, then someone should write one.

Within Zimbabwe, from what I understand, the hunting of lions at the Hwange Preserve where the now infamous 'Cecil' was shot, had been suspended previously for a few years due to a perceived overtake and subsequent decline in lion populations.

Again, congrats on some awesome hunts cool

Birdwatcher

If by some happenstance all the 6+ year old male lions were wiped out, younger males would take over some of the prides.

There are even prides run by females. An example is the Kanyemba Pride. Kanyemba is a small village in the very northeast corner of Zimbabwe, bounded by Mozambique on the East and the great Zambezi River on the North.

Sometime around 2010 a native poacher shot the head lioness in the face with birdshot, which was the cause, it was said, of the pride turning to eating humans. After many misadventures, including a game scout being eaten, seven of the nine lions were killed and the other two, they told me in 2011, stopped preying on humans--maybe. There was a story about this pride in a recent issue of "Sports Afield."

Since then, it has been reported as late as 2015 by Ivan Carter that the pride is still active in preying upon humans.

None of this, of course, appears in the Bambi-esque media.

To the "Cecilians," black lives simply don't matter. They matter even less to the Mugabe government. All hail the great Cecil.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since then, it has been reported as late as 2015 by Ivan Carter that the pride is still active in preying upon humans.

Getting to go after them would be an epic hunt indeed cool

I have heard that unknown numbers of humans are probably still taken by lions in less publicized areas, particularly refugees of various sorts.

Back in my own Africa years, just prior to the third very harsh dry season that dried even my own "personal" seep in the bush that provided steady (albeit muddy) water free of prior contributions by other humans, a German team providentially came through and drilled a borehole well in the next village.

(Much to my chagrin my students from there never told me this while the Germans were still there, I coulda cadged at least a few cold sympathy beers at least grin)

So, for two months at least ,every evening I walked two miles up the mountain to that village to get drinking water. A student's family there, poorer than friggin' church mice themselves, always insisted upon feeding me...

(at about the same time each evening, sitting with them in their mud-walled compound, I would look up to see probably the same satellite passing over, a study in contrasts if ever there was one).

...the point being that every night I would walk two miles back down the mountain, on the dirt road through the forest, no lantern, no flashlight, nary a care in the world.

The locals would NEVER do this. On moonlit nights you could hear the hubbub down the mountain from my village a mile away; drums, laughter and voices. On dark nights it was quiet as a tomb.

Their stated reason for avoiding travel at night and darkness in general was a fear of witches and witchcraft.

Thinking back, I'm guessing that a past history of cohabiting with big cats and venomous snakes had more than a little to do with that particular cultural norm.

Me? I must have been immortal, of course eek

Birdwatcher

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
A lot of people are killed by lions. Many never get reported. They are just missing. As for refugees, something like 1/3 of the former population of Zimbabwe has left the country due to the poverty induced by Mugabe. Many or most flee on foot thtough part of the Kruger Park to South Africa. It is said that lions eat many of these.

But then a lot of things in Africa never get reported. In the 1980s Mugabe murdered 10,000 to 15,000 members of the Ndebele tribe in western Zimbabwe. The Ndbele are a remnant of the famous Zulus and think they are superior to the Shonas, the majority tribe in Zimbabwe. You never saw much about this in the news.

Then there was my PH in South Africa. It was very cold and he complained bitterly, so I asked him why he did not wear long pants. He replied he didn't think he owned any. But the next day he showed up in some odd-looking military fatigues, explaining, "This is what we wore when we went to Angola to kill Cubans." Wha...?

Then there was my PH in Zim who formerly made his living hunting crocodiles in Mozambique along the Great Zimbabwe river. There was a civil war with the Communists holding the North bank, so he held to the southern bank and hunted at night. The communists would fire tracers at him and he would fire back until they stopped.

All of which are the reasons I think anyone who gets upset about a lion named Cecil is stupid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
maneaters arent a thing of the past.....lions that take it up are still very much a part of modern day Africa and India and anywhere else with large cats

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As far as we know...

1) Despite his advanced age, the lion the dentist shot was a dominant pride male with cubs. So while certainly at the very end of its productive lifetime by any measure,
Birdwatcher

This points to one big reason (if in fact that which is in bold is all fact) that this lion should be taken out.

By this time he is (IF he is) breeding with his grand and great-grand generations. That is not good for genetic variation and weakens the blood lines.

I find it far fetched that a 13 y.o. lion is still the dominant breeder. That's far fetched for anything outside of captivity.

So much of what has been reported ranges from false to fantasy, I can't take any of it as fact.

I've contacted some PH's in Africa to see what they know. What I've heard repeatedly is

1.- the PH's have all the paper in order

2.- In Africa, the Rule of Law turns with the payoffs.

3.- your enemies can pay off off the right people to jump on you when the opportunity arises, put you out of business, and give your business to the ones paying them. Indians are notorious for that in Zambia, Zim, and Tanz.

4. The government can use a crisis to their advantage. Zim does NOT want hunting to go away because their is too much foreign exchange involved. The Indians, who are mid level power brokers and spread the bribes around don't want to diminish hunting. Too much money would be lost. After that bogus 10 ten day ban, you saw hunting reopen. The economics of the reality quickly reached the ears and the right pockets.

5. Nothing will happen to the PH's, because they have the paper work. It may cost them some cash (Africa works that way) but it will blow over.

6. Palmer will never be extradited, but the Greenies have a bullseye on him and are out to ruin him and anyone else they can link hunting to. They got big sympathy out of Cecil-Mania.

7. Organizations like the WWF gladly will bribe any and all government officials - big or small- to get their agenda. They can buy the "Associate Minister of Martian Wildlife" and get him to make any bold statement even if he has no authority over the matter and does not represent official gov't policy. The Greenies grab the quote and make a splashy headline.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Standby, BW will be along to refute your facts with cooked data from his tree-hugging scientists...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

All of which are the reasons I think anyone who gets upset about a lion named Cecil is stupid.

Folks desperately searching for meaning (animal, plant, earth "well-being") in some kind of direction when they have been deceived into accepting as a [/i]rational[i], moral option (i.e.maternal narcissism) the tearing up or burning to death an in utero infant and marketing its parts.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Hatari: Well said.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Folks desperately searching for meaning (animal, plant, earth "well-being") in some kind of direction when they have been deceived into accepting as a [/i]rational[i], moral option (i.e.maternal narcissism) the tearing up or burning to death an in utero infant and marketing its parts.

Amen, and Amen.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
As far as we know...

1) Despite his advanced age, the lion the dentist shot was a dominant pride male with cubs. So while certainly at the very end of its productive lifetime by any measure,
Birdwatcher

This points to one big reason (if in fact that which is in bold is all fact) that this lion should be taken out.

By this time he is (IF he is) breeding with his grand and great-grand generations. That is not good for genetic variation and weakens the blood lines.

I find it far fetched that a 13 y.o. lion is still the dominant breeder. That's far fetched for anything outside of captivity.

Only thing arguing in favor of that improbability is the fact that this was a well-studied and tracked lion, over a period of at least seven years with GPS.

Apparently the researchers involved have not disputed the claim of continued pride ownership. Jorge appears to think those people are rabidly anti-hunting, I tend to give 'em the benefit of the doubt.

Other reports have said that around two-thirds (IIRC) of other collared male lions in that same park were previously taken by trophy hunters. I do not know the extent to which this old one might have benefited from a reduction in competition.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. I have to believe there are some studly 4-5 year males looking for love around there, that should put him out of business.

I think we should point out that these "collars" are not to make them pets, but just to be able see where they go. We've known for years animals come and go across the various park boundaries, and are protected inside and hunted outside. No surprise.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well it ain't just 'Cecil' catting around well past his prime.

The other pride male in a coalition with 'Cecil" seems sorta geriatric too. I posted this on the 'Fire so you may have read it already. Note that as recently as last year "Cecil' and the former rival (and unrelated) male that became his partner actually took over a second pride, which takeover would have occurred when 'Cecil' was eleven (??) years old.

Further note that these two lions had formed a new and sucessful coalition AFTER losing their former team mates and being deposed from other prides.

Fascinating stuff...

http://wildcru.org/news/cecil-real-biology/

In May 2008 in the dry, dusty South Eastern boundary of Hwange National Park, WildCRU research staff sighted two 5 year old male lions. They were sighted at Mangisihole Pan (which in the vernacular translates to the 'waterhole of the Englishman'). These males were unknown to the project and were of an age when male lions are actively dispersing to look for a territory and a pride of females.

Generally dispersing lions challenge and fight existing males or take over prides without a male. The WildCRU research project maintains a detailed database of lions in the population and these two were duly photographed and their sightings and identification logged. We use their unique pattern of whisker spots (these are unique in the same way as fingerprints), facial scars and ears knicks to identify the animals in the study. The lions were nicknamed the 'Mangisihole Boys'.

By late 2008 these buccaneering dispersers had invaded the core of our study and began associating with the Ngweshla pride and in so doing they displaced the existing pride male (know by the project, a little uncharitably, as 'Ugly'). The odds of two to one were too much for 'Ugly' who relinquished his control of his pride and range to the victorious 'Mangisiholes'.

The new males wasted no time in asserting their control and immediately mated with the females of the Ngweshla pride, in the process killing three cubs sired by Ugly. At this point my friend and colleague, Dr Andrew Loveridge, with whom I started the project in 1999, darted the larger of the two males and collared him with a GPS collar as part of Hwange Lion Project’s ongoing behavioural ecology study. He was named 'Cecil' a quintessentially English name in recognition of his origins (at least in our records) at the 'Englishman’s waterhole'.

However, lion society makes 'Game of Thrones' look tame, and Cecil and his brother had to fight to hold onto their newly won territory. They were unfortunate that their neighbours were a strong and aggressive coalition known as the 'Askaris' and they soon lost ground, with Cecil’s brother killed in a boundary skirmish in June 2009. In the process the oldest of the Askaris- a venerable study animal called ‘Mpofu’ (and father to the other three members of the Askari coalition) was also mortally wounded and died soon afterwards aged twelve.

On his own ‘Cecil’ could not hope to hold his territory and he retreated eastwards, leaving his pride and cubs to the not-so-tender mercies of the Askaris. Ironically, one of the Askaris was a large male called ‘Jericho’ , who with his brother’s Judah and Job were long term study animals whose fates we had followed since birth. These males dominated the Ngweshla area for the next few years.

Though defeated in battle, Cecil was not beaten and soon established himself in another pride that was without a male. This pride, The Backpans pride, held a rich territory in the far East of Hwange and Cecil remained their pride male for three years, raising several cohorts of cubs until he was once again displaced, in 2013, by a coalition of two other males (Bhubesi and Bush).

As he fled his territory he met up with his erstwhile enemy ‘Jericho’. Jericho had also fallen on hard times after his brothers Judah and Job had been shot by trophy hunters. So instead of fighting the two males formed a bond, initially uneasy but becoming inseparable as time went on. This is not unusual behavior for male lions. Singleton males are hard pressed to hold onto their territories in the face of competition from larger coalitions.

It makes sense to join with other unrelated males in order to have a chance to gain access to a pride. Having teamed up, Cecil and Jericho now dominated Ngweshla pride and from late 2014 also the Somadada pride.

Cecil and Jericho have both been focal study animals in the core of our study area in Hwange National Park. Both have been monitored with radio or GPS collars for many years and we have collected hugely detailed data on their movements and territories. Their behavioural interactions with prides and other coalitions have enhanced our understanding of the intricate and often bewildering social lives of these big cats.

Reading this it becomes apparent why these study lions are given names rather than numbers, it makes it easier and faster to keep track and clearly communicate which lion you are talking about.

Note also the mention of the "Ashakari" coalition of males, consisting of an older male lion 'Mpofu' and three of his grown offspring. Who knew that could happen?

It hard to imagine skimming off a significant number of mature lions via trophy hunting has no effect on all of this, OTOH the surviving male lions of whatever age class seem readily able to adapt, the lionesses still get bred, so its all good.

From what I gather, a limiting factor seems to be a reduced survival of cubs when pride male turnovers become too frequent.

I don't know if there are any avoidance mechanisms in place to prevent a male lion from breeding with a close relative. From what I can gather lionesses, which generally remain with their natal pride, usually birth their first cubs at around age four, which seemed sorta late to me but which may allow time for a turnover of pride males

Birdwatcher

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dude...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jorge HAS THE FACTSappears to think those people are rabidly anti-hunting, I tend to give 'em the benefit of the doubt.

Other reports have said that around two-thirds (IIRC) of other collared male lions in that same park were previously taken by trophy hunters. I do not know the extent to which this old one might have benefited from a reduction in competition.

Birdwatcher

Repeat, there are NO ISSUES with the taking of collared lions and they ARE anti-hunting. One need look at who was behind this whole mess in Zimbabwe, that Rodriques guy, who wants to do away with ALL hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Repeat, there are NO ISSUES with the taking of collared lions

No one here is arguing that there was any issues with shooting a collared lion, even me.

You yourself posted a link where the actual White guy from Zimbabwe monitoring 'Cecil' supports trophy hunting, else he would have nothing to study.

This stuff is flat interesting to me, which is why I posted it.

At least, when they are keeping track of so many individual lions (or any other species), you might concede it makes it far less confusing just to give 'em names.

Ergo 'Cecil'.

I think we have done pretty much the same sort of thing with different types of enemy aircraft since the very inception of aviation.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Then stop posting crap that does! fouc you're obstuse. This whole damned thing about A fuggin lion and YOU are the only one here making an issue about it. Here are the simple, established facts:

the best lion experts concluded that on average, male lion become pride males around 4 years old and have an average pride tenure of 2 years (exceptions exist) and in that 2 year period, on average, they are able to raise 2 sets of litters to independence and that thereafter they naturally get replaced/ousted by other younger males. Hence why a 6+ year old male lion is the best individual to be hunted. Any resulting death of existing litter at the time a 6 year old male is killed - either naturally or through hunting - or ousted from the pride is not a long term threat to the overall local lion population numbers!

Big deal if that lion you have wet dreams about was outside the standard deviation from the mean. Stop hunting and ALL game suffers, in spite of what your cooked statistics say

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess we disagree as to the extent of data cooking.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
noshitsherlock...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It hard to imagine skimming off a significant number of mature lions via trophy hunting has no effect on all of this, OTOH the surviving male lions of whatever age class seem readily able to adapt, the lionesses still get bred, so its all good.

From what I gather, a limiting factor seems to be a reduced survival of cubs when pride male turnovers become too frequent.

I don't know if there are any avoidance mechanisms in place to prevent a male lion from breeding with a close relative. From what I can gather lionesses, which generally remain with their natal pride, usually birth their first cubs at around age four, which seemed sorta late to me but which may allow time for a turnover of pride males

Birdwatcher

....and that's what you want to see.

Some things about trophy hunting and male lions. How many licenses are allocated and how many are filled each year? How many male lions have ceased being pride kings and how many never will ?

The number of licenses is small, and they all don't get filled. The amount of free range territory for lions is shrinking, therefore the numbers of lions will shrink. Humans and lions cannot peacefullly cohabit the same area. Parks can only sustain a certain number and keep the eco system in balance without them raiding outside the park with much frequency.

I still maintain a 13 yo lion needs to be out of the breeding cycle. If good old Cecil was stud enough to find a pride at his age, then more power to him. That is about like Kirk Douglas boning Sophie Vegara and her sisters. I would stand in awe, but there comes a point where it's not good for the species.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I still maintain a 13 yo lion needs to be out of the breeding cycle.

This thread was brung here in the first place to ridicule me over things I never said, arguments I never made.

Why on earth would I question basic tenets of wildlife management?

To answer your questions the success rate on wild lions is reportedly about 2/3. The take of male lions for trophies in some areas of Zambia and Tanzania has apparently been excessive, as it was for a period of time in that same Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe where 'Cecil' was.

And taking out 'Cecil' was biologically irrelevant as you say.

My own background is I got 150+ consecutive weeks living in a remote African village, only non-African for a half-day's journey, no electronic communication, with almost no logistical support beyond vaccinations, chloroquine and paregoric. Paid in nearly worthless currency, no piped water, no electricity. During that time I experience a military coup and its aftermath, and routinely negotiated roadblocks in the sticks manned by drunk soldiers.

So, I do have some time on the ground, and can claim some working familiarity with Africans in general.

I also had occasion a number of times to travel to the capital, try and locate the relevant ministry officials in their offices, and ask about substantial funds that had been donated, finally receiving mere pocket change. I also witnessed the main cash crop (cocoa) rotting in the villages, because entrenched corruption over the years had gutted the transportation infrastructure.

...which latter experiences led me to wonder how much of the trophy fees in Africa actually go as intended.

But, no less a personage than Richard Leakey has answered those concerns so its now a moot point.

(..and my time in Africa ROCKED grin)

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
...which latter experiences led me to wonder how much of the trophy fees in Africa actually go as intended.

Birdwatcher

Nice left handed shot there. Suffice to say you are WRONG (again). Every VALID study reaches the same conclusion: if it pays it stays...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This thread was brung here in the first place to ridicule me over things I never said, arguments I never made.

Birdwatcher

I'm putting out my position not for your benefit, but for anyone interested in the subject. I'd enjoy hearing more about your time in Africa and am sure there is much we can agree on, and am not so sure we disagree on anything major.

I'd love to have the chance to chat with someone like Leaky, but I'd have to press him on the subject of hunting and its role in anti poaching. Leaky became the head of the Kenyan Wildlife Service in 1990 with the specific directive to curtail poaching. He formed armed units that had orders to shoot on sight. Hopefully, that is still carried on. All hunting ended in 1977, the concession system abolished, and the old blocks became poaching hot beds, When these areas were poached out, the poachers turned to the Parks. All that took less than 10 years.

Surround the parks with GMAs to keep development away and to have feet on the ground to direct anti poaching in the GMA's and you keep them out of the Parks.

I'd also press Leaky on his stance of how much money from hunting gets back local. I don't doubt that in most instances it is minute, but it is so because of the vast corruption in government. Africa is not a good place to make enemies. I know that Leaky lost his legs in a plane crash, and I know there is great speculation that the plane was sabotaged in order to get him. Rough politics over there.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Birdwatcher

Bullschit. You continue to lie, and miserably at that.

The thread was started here because these guys know more about Africa NOW and game management (ever) that you possibly could. They are correcting your intellectually dishonest and factually, fundamentally flawed positions. That's why it was brought here and it was worth it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is the reality:

One of the study’s authors, Vernon Booth, a Zimbabwe-based ecologist who has worked in wildlife management for 30 years in Africa, said that lions were now protected because of the high value attached to them as trophies. Locals tolerate them because of the income that trickles down. Without the trophy hunt money, locals would increasingly poison lions, which are considered dangerous to people and livestock, he said.

“If there is a complete ban on lion hunting, the tolerance levels for lions would just plummet,” Mr. Booth said. “And in wild areas outside of the protected areas, lions would be exterminated, and very quickly.”

This is what is REALLY behind BW's veiled exegesis pretending to be in support of lion hunting:

For many, trophy hunting recalls some of the most unsavory aspects of Africa’s colonial past. A framed photograph in the dining hall of Mr. Dorrington’s game ranch here shows two white hunters towering over a black man holding their freshly-caught game. One of the white men rests his left hand on the black man’s head, as if petting him.

Trophy hunting is often difficult to detach from an era of unquestioned white privilege in Africa, Mr. Dorrington, 56, said.

“It’s something for the elites, the rich whites, to play on,” he said of game ranches. “And that’s one of the challenges, to get benefits from wildlife to the black population.”

And lest I be accused of cherry picking, here is a link to the entire article, even the NYT get it: lion

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So now I'm racist in the eyes of the Greenies? Explains a lot. I'm sure they preach tolerance for all the freaks but not for Nimrod the intrepid hunter. Where is Hemingway when you need him?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd also press Leaky on his stance of how much money from hunting gets back local. I don't doubt that in most instances it is minute, but it is so because of the vast corruption in government.

A puzzle that, but where ever it goes it apparently works. On the topic of GMA's, I have learned from browsing that the GMA'a around actual preserves are critical, and if not in private hands perhaps privately owned hunting areas can surround those too.

I'd enjoy hearing more about your time in Africa and am sure there is much we can agree on, and am not so sure we disagree on anything major.

I think we'd agree on a profound gratitude we ever set foot in Africa, for reasons we might not be able to elucidate or even completely understand.

My experience is dated now, more'n thirty years past. Peace Corps varies tremendously with where you were posted, I was my great good fortune to be in Ghana, '80-'83. I had been hoping for Thailand or the Philipines on account of the women grin, "the White Man's Graveyard" was about the last place I wanted to go.

But, I wanted to teach and that's where the openings were, also worked school holidays on a vaccination team out of a Dutch Mission Hospital.

Ruined economy, almost no logistical support, no means of ready communication, and the Rawling's coup of '81.

Two continuous years at my post, only White guy for thirty miles, four weeks back in the 'States to be best man at my brother's wedding (I gave the toast in Twi (Ashanti) wherein I said his wife was... "ahem"... a woman of ill repute. It turned out I was about right, but his second wife has been a blessing). And then another year in my village.

Skinniest I've ever been, malaria, giardia, and once I was hallucinating and vomiting green water for three days.

But through it all, two-mile daily walks for water, soldiers at the school, monotonous diet (nothing but international food aid white rice the last six months) Ghana was about the friendliest and most non-violent place in Black Africa at that time, and I rarely had cause to fear for my personal safety there.

Their hospitality was such everywhere that I had offers of a roof and a meal everywhere I wandered, even from people suffering extremes of poverty. It is my contention that there are gonna be some real surprises on Judgement Day.

I have a hundred stories of course, but they wouldn't be well-received on the 'Fire, and I dunno this special purpose board is the place either.

Thank you for your interest.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is what is REALLY behind BW's veiled exegesis pretending to be in support of lion hunting:

<*SIGH*>.... Ya, that must be it.....

Birdwatcher

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm ignorant on the subject, which is why I've mostly just read along here, but since I'm such a nice guy, I wanted to publicly throw BW a good, hearty rope to get outa that deep hole he's in.

Come on BW, you look like a fool with all the "from what I've read" posts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Come on BW, you look like a fool with all the "from what I've read" posts

Reading is how people learn things.

And you'll note I have prefaced most everything with "from what I've read" and "searching the internet", hardly a claim of expertise.

What happens is people can read the sources given and judge for themselves. I find Craig Boddington, the Zoology Department of University of Pretoria, the WildCRU lion tracking program out of Oxford, and the Panthera research non-profit to be credible. YMMV.

I am repeatedly taken to task by the same two for stuff I DIDN'T write.

But then Jorge thinks I'm lying anyhoo......

....and the other guy apparently has serious problems.

"Looking like a fool" grin.... is of little concern when everything I have written is true.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Birdwatcher

Yeah, that worked behind the boat.... And no I do not think you are lying per se, I just wish you'd man up and say what you really think about lion hunting.

[when everything I have written is true.

Birdwatcher

no it isn't

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/18/15.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Birdwatcher

Reading is one; doing is another. You've not done the latter and stopped the former when you found enough to justify your erroneous agenda-driven objective, therefore failing at the that one as well.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

when everything I have written is true.

Birdwatcher

no it isn't

If only obviously, and proven so time and again by multiple people and sources.

Then again, the intellectually dishonest jackass can't even remember what his original position was, much less the circuitous route he took trying to defend it and the rabbit holes he went down looking for answers and routes that weren't there in the first place.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
and no I do not think you are lying per se,

Oh good, I was worried we was gonna end up at dawn with pistols.

I just wish you'd man up and say what you really think about lion hunting.

You should ask what I think about lion hunters grin

Look, I'm only human, and I did go pretty hard core African for three years, in my early twenties yet (I only got laid once in three years crazy ). So, being Joe Africa as I was (at least the Euro interns at the hospital used to think so grin) naturally I'm inclined to smile at guys "roughing it" on two- or three-week guided hunts.

But, OTOH many of them lion hunters prob'ly got resumes that would far outclass mine, and every one of them through that hefty trophy fee contributes more to African wildlife conservation than I ever will.

The act of locating, identifying and stalking a lion out in the boonies has got to be a rush almost beyond compare.

Would I personally want to shoot one? For cause, like if it was a known problem lion. Otherwise I just ain't a trophy kind of guy. Since I have no interest in eating one (as opposed to the usual assorted herbivores) it would seem about like shooting a relative.

If we were standing there together I would tell you go for it if ya want. In fact I would even guide you in on it if I knew where it was. But shoot it myself? Prob'ly not.

Perhaps I have owned one too many house cats grin

Birdwatcher

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The African PH I know best, both from hunting with him and correspondence over the years, does believe commercial hunting (however well "controlled") has had an significant impact on game populations in recent years, especially dangerous game. He claims, with some evidence, that "intensified" sport hunting (taking more than protected land can resupply) simply adds to the reduction from poaching. In fact he saw so much greed and over-shooting in the last few years that he retired from professional hunting rather than continue to take part in what he considered over-hunting in many areas, and he was either a game scout or PH for almost 50 years.

He knows the over-population of southern Africa and corruption of national governments is the biggest factor in the loss of larger big game, but his opinion (based on considerable experience) is that "sport" hunting is also a factor in some areas, for some species.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sir, you are a wordy, illogical individual of uncertain accomplishments. Furthermore you apparently enjoy insulting other men over the internet.

Anyhow, just ta throw you into some more tizzy, here's another link. A recent dissertation out of the University of Wisconsin...

http://lionguardians.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Dolrenry-Stephanie-PhD-2013.pdf

African lion (Panthera leo) behavior, monitoring, and survival in human-dominated landscapes

Some interesting quotes....

The Amboseli-Tsavo ecosystem provides an important corridor connecting Kenya’s largest remaining lion population, associated with the Tsavo National Park complex, with the lion populations of Tanzania. The ecosystem comprises the 5,975 km² region between Amboseli, Tsavo West and Chyulu Hills National Parks in Kenya and Kilimanjaro National Park in northern Tanzania. The area outside the parks is divided into group ranches, land communally
owned by Maasai pastoralists.....

Only two perennial rivers flow in the region, but the swamps of the
Amboseli basin provide a permanent water source which support an abundance of large mammals and birds for which the region is famous (Berger 1993). While the abundant wildlife provisions a lion population, this ecosystem also has one of the highest recorded rates of human-induced lion mortality in East Africa (Hazzah et al. 2009,
Maclennan et al. 2009). For this reason, I chose this as an ideal area to carry out an in-depth examination of a lion population that inhabits human- and livestock- dominated landscapes and is affected by human persecution.....

Recent research has focused on the effects of sport hunting on lion populations originating from protected areas and migrating into the surrounding landscapes where they are hunted. Although sport hunting has been found to disrupt social behaviors due to removal of pride males by leading to increased rates of male infanticide and female-biased adult sex ratios and male-biased cub sex ratio; Whitman et al.(2004) demonstrated that mortality of males over the age of six years does not result in population decline.

In this study, I examine basic demographic characteristics and spatial patterns of a lion population on human- and livestock- dominated lands without sport hunting but where retaliatory
hunting by local people, of both sexes and all ages of lions, has occurred for centuries. I investigate whether lion demographics differ in this population from populations found in protected areas and those affected by sport hunting.

Sounds interesting to me.

The group ranches of the study area support a rapidly growing human population of over 30,000 and nearly 150,000 head of livestock. Frequent conflicts between lions and people result in heavy lion mortality: between 2001 and 2011, over 250 lions died within the
study region, of which at least 207 were known to be killed by people, 78% by spearing, the remainder by poisoning. It is estimated that for every lion killed there were 10 - 50 unsuccessful hunts....

Maasai lion hunting is largely retaliatory, targeted at a lion that has killed livestock, Hazzah et al. (2011) found that more males than females were killed in this region between 2001 and 2011. During traditional Maasai lion hunts, killing a male lion provides the greatest prestige.

Two things here... between 2001 and 2010 at least some Maasai were still hunting lions with spears, prob'ly still are (a practice which doubtless raises one's blood pressure a tad), to the tune of 160 lions over a ten year period.

More lion stuff, and frankly, if ya don't find this interesting you must have rocks in your head....

In one week, a young female, with her first litter of young cubs, managed to take three giraffe, two juveniles and one adult. Another young solitary male killed two adult bull giraffe also within a week’s time.....

Similar to giraffe kills, pre and post drought observations of ostrich kills were markedly different; two were observed during 2004 to 2008 and 27 post-drought, 2009 to 2012, with 11 ostrich kills occurring during the month of October 2010......

Age distribution of the study population was skewed with few older adults yet in recent years the population began to show a more equal composition, similar to patterns reported by Schaller
(1972) in the Serengeti and Stander (1991) in Etosha NP, Namibia.

In contrast to the female bias seen in other areas, the 1 to 0.91 adult sex ratio of the lion population on these unprotected communal lands is slightly biased in favor of males. By comparison, the sex ratio within Amboseli National Park is 1:1.5-1.7, 1:2 in Selous, Serengeti, Kgalagadi, and Kunene regions. Where sport
hunting targets males, more extreme bias toward females occurs: 1:6.3 in Hwange NP, Zimbabwe, 1:5.7 in Savuti Game Reserve, Botswana,
1:4.3 Luangwa Valley, Zambia.

It goes on to present the different lion social strutures in these areas in depth.

Fascinating stuff, at least to me.

OK, apologies to anyone else reading this as doubtless anonther tirade of insults is inbound.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MD,

Which country?

(I saw the French overhunt areas in Cameroon. They planned to grab the money and go in a few years)

PHs given concessions with quotes, or that combined with "Special Licenses" that every Minister in certain countries has to pass about?

Just curious.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Where I hunted in Zim in 2011, my PH had negotiated a 9-year lease with the tribal council (not the Zim government). Every year he negotiated a quota of all species with the council for that year. Both he, as a businessman, and the council were smart enough to want the game to last. The council got all the trophy fees and the PH got the daily fees. Neither wanted to "eat your own seed corn." To ensure we did not cheat, a game scout, employed by the council, went with us into the bush.

At the time, the quota on lion was two males and one female per year, IIRC. We came upon a poached elephant and searched around for tracks or other evidence. My PH reported it by radio to the council and 17 game scouts showed up that evening. Also, the PH had a law enforcement role. I was told we should shoot any elephant or rhino poachers we encountered. Fortunately, none were seen.

I don't think that area was overhunted by trophy hunters. I personally saw at least four male lions and some females, at least 1000 buffalo, 100 or so hippos, and some plains game. Lion tracks were everywhere and just to feed the lions whose tracks we saw would have required 765 buffalo each year, we estimated.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A recent dissertation out of the University of Wisconsin...

That's all I need to know to discard... Here's the REAL proof:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_-MT66TRiLM[/video]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jorge,

My experience has been that the leading wildlife scientists in various locations are professionals, in the same way that I would expect the engineering departments in those places to be professionals, regardless of local politics, YMMV.

'Tis a real pity trophy hunting has been outlawed in Kenya. Else people would probably pay mega dollars to go and spear a lion with the Maasai.

It is my understanding this is/was a group activity wherein the lion was faced with a arc of guys with spears that flanked the lion as they closed in, such that any direction the lion charged towards them there would be spear men on its flank, the most prestige going to the guy who threw the first spear. The equivalent of the PH's backup gun being the numerous other spears subsequently thrown at the lion.

I would expect, given the usual virtuosity exhibited by those who have grown up using primitive weapons, that the Maasai's ability to hit a moving target with a spear was pretty good, in former days at least. But I have heard that many of their young men head for the cities for jobs nowadays.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And that is why you are wrong and wrong often. Just like the Global Warming kooks, academia is almost without exception, anti-hunting with politics as the focal point. Just because they are professionals doesn't mean squat to me. What DOES matter however, is following the money, and HUNTING and placing a value on game, is the only thing that works. Hunting ALL of it, is the biggest champion of wildlife and not some egg head with a pocket protector and a leftist agenda...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
not some egg head with a pocket protector and a leftist agenda..

I haven't met any that fit that description. This is a HIGHLY competitive field, everyone and their brother wants to study wildlife for a living.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
hatari,

Primarily Zimbabwe, where he was born when it was Rhodesia, as well as Mozambique and RSA, where he and his wife have lived since they grew too weary of Mugabe.

In fact he's so pessimistic about the entire future of southern Africa that he and his wife are moving to England. One of their sons has worked as a gunsmith for one of the big London firms for around 20 years now.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
BW:

With respect, you err. I am a graduate of two of the finest universities in the USA and can tell you that anyone who does not voice the "politically correct" view is out. Engineering is different because there is no such thing as "politically correct" engineering.

Remember how Larry Summers got fired as the president of Harvard for just suggesting that someone study why there are more men than women in the STEM fields? While on the subject of Harvard, they pay Elizabeth Warren $300,000 per year or thereabouts to teach only one class. Can you identify even one conservative professor at Harvard? Also, right now they are actively discriminating against Asian students, who outscore blacks on entrance requirements, in the name of "diversity."

Birdy, while I perceive you are an intelligent man, most of your knowledge seems to be in a pedagogical sense. Your three years in Ghana does not allow you to generalize about other parts of Africa. It would be like someone spending three years in Saudi Arabia and claiming to know about China because both are in Asia. As for lions, I doubt if there was a single wild lion within 500 miles of your location in Ghana.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
John,

Your friend is wise. The population of Southern Africa is projected to grow by 2,000,000,000 by the end of the century. That will spell the end of hunting there and also the end of any hope of an economic future.

My PH in 2011 was one of only 15,000 whites who remain in Zim, out of 300,000 or so 30 years ago. He told me that the UK would not let white Zimbabweans in, however.

My PH in RSA in 2006 sent his kids to school in foreign countries. He claims that most whites in RSA send their kids to Canada, England, or Australia. They stay there and are in demand because they are hard workers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
With respect, you err.

Indeed, quite a lot.

I am a graduate of two of the finest universities in the USA

Me too, one of them specializing to a large degree in Wildlife Management, hence my sympathetic view of said professors. Its pretty hard to manage wildlife without hunting. I'm not sure Harvard even has any Wildlife Management faculty.

I'm trying to recall any permanent hunting ban driven and supported by wildlife management academia.

Your three years in Ghana does not allow you to generalize about other parts of Africa.

You should note that the only generalizations I have made about Africa based upon my experiences in Ghana have been w/regards to widespread corruption and widespread poaching. I believe these occur most places in Africa, on a catastrophic scale.

All other sources of info have been cited.

And really, what has been so controversial about what I have cited?

Are you going to deny that there has been an overtake of sport-hunted lions in some areas?

That sex ratios have been altered by regulated hunting?

As for lions, I doubt if there was a single wild lion within 500 miles of your location in Ghana.

This was thirty-five years ago, which might as well be on a different planet given the severity of the ongoing declines.

In 1980 it was generally believed by the educated that a few lions still persisted on the Afram Plains not far from where I was. Certainly I saw the identifiable poached remains of bush cow (a smaller form of buffalo), topi, and bushbuck amid the innumerable duikers coming out of that area. There was also a confirmed remnant elephant population at that time. Poachers themselves told me about the existence of a few lions back there.

Not to split hairs but 100 miles or so north was a remnant part of the adjacent Burkina Faso lion population, and hunting safaris were conducted right across the border in Togo, but you are right in the sense that lions were not a factor where I was.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
With respect, you err.

Indeed, quite a lot.

I am a graduate of two of the finest universities in the USA

Me too, one of them specializing to a large degree in Wildlife Management, hence my sympathetic view of said professors. Its pretty hard to manage wildlife without hunting. I'm not sure Harvard even has any Wildlife Management faculty.

I'm trying to recall any permanent hunting ban driven and supported by wildlife management academia.

Your three years in Ghana does not allow you to generalize about other parts of Africa.

You should note that the only generalizations I have made about Africa based upon my experiences in Ghana have been w/regards to widespread corruption and widespread poaching. I believe these occur most places in Africa, on a catastrophic scale.

All other sources of info have been cited.

And really, what has been so controversial about what I have cited?

Are you going to deny that there has been an overtake of sport-hunted lions in some areas?

That sex ratios have been altered by regulated hunting?

As for lions, I doubt if there was a single wild lion within 500 miles of your location in Ghana.

This was thirty-five years ago, which might as well be on a different planet given the severity of the ongoing declines.

In 1980 it was generally believed by the educated that a few lions still persisted on the Afram Plains not far from where I was. Certainly I saw the identifiable poached remains of bush cow (a smaller form of buffalo), topi, and bushbuck amid the innumerable duikers coming out of that area. There was also a confirmed remnant elephant population at that time. Poachers themselves told me about the existence of a few lions back there.

Not to split hairs but 100 miles or so north was a remnant part of the adjacent Burkina Faso lion population, and hunting safaris were conducted right across the border in Togo, but you are right in the sense that lions were not a factor where I was.

Birdwatcher

You do, as evidenced on this whole idiotic thread, Just grow a pair and take a stand instead of obfuscation with all this maze of bullshit.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
BW, your error is that you and the pointy-headed liberals assume that just because trophy hunting stops, that that amount of lions will be not be killed. Actually more get killed.

There is an interesting article in the current "Sports Afield" about a certain large ranch in the Save district in Zimbabwe. For political reasons, lion hunting was suspended for three years. Trophy fees dropped sharply. The number of anti-poaching personnel dropped from 40 to 10!! Result: All game began to be exterminated.

Without trophy fees, there is no reason for the local natives, the tribe, the safari operators, or anyone else to oppose the understandable motivation of the locals to wipe out all game for food, to sell on the bush meat market, to eliminate crop damage, and to eliminate dangerous predators.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hardly ever post on here, I did not bring this thread here, I did not make any post on this one in a period of time and was waiting for it to scroll on down but I keep getting lectured on things I never contested, to whit....

BW, your error is that you and the pointy-headed liberals assume that just because trophy hunting stops, that that amount of lions will be not be killed. Actually more get killed.

Never contested this, not even once.

I dunno if being called "Liberal" is worse than being called a liar. I generally choose to insult folks face to face, or not at all, but thats me.

Without trophy fees, there is no reason for the local natives, the tribe, the safari operators, or anyone else to oppose the understandable motivation of the locals to wipe out all game for food, to sell on the bush meat market, to eliminate crop damage, and to eliminate dangerous predators.

Same thing again, things I never contested.

I have posted stuff I found interesting about lions.

The evidence indicates that among those lion populations protected by hunting, in some locations there has been an overtake of males, driving population declines. This has come from wildlife management professionals who are in favor of continued hunting.

End of story.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The evidence indicates that among those lion populations protected by hunting, in some locations there has been an overtake of males, driving population declines. This has come from wildlife management professionals who are in favor of continued hunting.

I"ll buy into that. You have to know that is a tough sell right now.

There has been a big push in the hunting world to protect 6 year old males and younger for that reason. Years ago it wasn't an issue because more of Africa was unsettled. In the past 15 years, younger ones were taken to fill tags. I think that trend has now been reversed. There is over hunting of many species here and there, and government corruption at all levels plays into it.

Loss of suitable habitat is the biggest threat to lions, and all African game. Can't get rid of the people. It was predicted 20 years ago that AIDS would by now have reduced the human population by 25%. It never happened.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I googled up the 70 miles we walked through forest and bush across the Afram Plains in '81, a road runs through there now frown

Hardly a surprise, the population has more than doubled in the intervening 30 years.

Surprisingly, an estimated 300 elephants still persist not far to the east of our route in Digya National Park. A handful of unconfirmed lion reports in the general region since 2000, almost certainly single individuals dispersing south from the Burkina Faso population.

Interestingly, it turns out the West African lion belongs to the North African/Indian genetic clade. Running smaller and leggier than the famous East/South African plains version. Usually found in single pairs (or a male with two females) and their young.

Pretty much the way lions were depicted the the Middle Ages and Rennaisance era.

Birdwatcher

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,368
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.