Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
....in bear country.

In another thread, Phil Shoemaker refers to Marston matting as a useful bear deterrent for protecting food supplies.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Any questions?

Last edited by Klikitarik; 08/04/15.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bears have no trouble ripping normal steel roofing if there is meat or fish involved but as long as the Marston matting is bolted to something solid it works well as a bear proof screen.

We also keep a few sections handy for what it was intended for - taxiing aircraft across soft, mucky areas. Or extracting those that get stuck.
And it doesn't take many in a stack to make a pretty solid tiedown

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
...and the 3/4” spruce, smoke barrier smokehouse walls were nothing but matchstick kindling for the bear(s).

Of course, that wall was never intended to keep the bears out, but the radio batteries last about a week, and it was longer than that since the boat motor started showing oil, so we were gone a bit too long. Borrowing another fellow’s boat seems almost akin to borrowing his woman, so, though I had a couple of offers - boats that is wink - I waited hoping the parts would show up so I could get my motor running again.

With time running out, last night I decided we better borrow and go check. About a half mile out, I asked my son what "that dark thing” was on the side of the smoke house. Bears are never out of the question of course, and once in awhile, moose even come down to ‘taste the shoreline delicacies’. Not really surprised on the new doorway however. The scraps they left behind weren’t too bad, though they were a bit dry. smile

The situation did remind of the recent thread where Marston matting was brought up. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.