-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My guess would be that he was called to handle a situation that he was not trained for. Instead of refusing to get involved, he attempted to help out and teach the kid a lesson. Not being trained, and not knowing what to do, he stepped in it. I'm sure they didn't cover Classroom Discipline in the academy.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

We're going to see a Latonia Effect, now.

School Resource Officers around the country will hang back and let 8-year-olds riot, rather than risk their careers by being accused of overly aggressive tactics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff
My guess would be that he was called to handle a situation that he was not trained for. Instead of refusing to get involved, he attempted to help out and teach the kid a lesson. Not being trained, and not knowing what to do, he stepped in it. I'm sure they didn't cover Classroom Discipline in the academy.

Technically, as an SRO, he is supposedly trained for such situations.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tjm,

When the tactics are specifically and in plain English forbidden by statute, it's a pretty safe bet that the SRO has gone "above and beyond". Now, will the others complicit in fomenting this be held to account as well is the only question (and, they won't).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

And what would that training entail? Teachers call you because a kid won't stop disrupting the class, what is it that a SRO is supposed to do, above a beyond what a teacher can do? Seems to me that the only thing an officer could do that a teacher could not, would be to place the kid in handcuffs. So if you don't want the kid in cuffs, why call the SRO?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm betting that at the request of a teacher the officer was trying to teach an out of control kid that there are consequences for bad behavior. Poor judgement and a bad deal on everyone's part.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

And what would that training entail? Teachers call you because a kid won't stop disrupting the class, what is it that a SRO is supposed to do, above a beyond what a teacher can do? Seems to me that the only thing an officer could do that a teacher could not, would be to place the kid in handcuffs. So if you don't want the kid in cuffs, why call the SRO?

SRO stands for School Resource officer, here usually school pays their wages during the school year and the city pays for it in the summer when school isnt in session....and they are very familiar with the schools discipline rules as that is a part of their job....its a law he should have known quite well given his job....the guy fugged up and it is on him.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen parents request putting their kids in handcuffs and in the back of a patrol car as a lesson. I also have heard people threaten their kids if they don't behave they will have the police man "take" them away ect.

Sad part is that society wants the police officer to discipline/raise their kids instead of doing it themselves. Parents rather be "friends" to their kids than Parents.

Sad that we even need or have police officers in schools, goes with the times unfortunately.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Why is it the school called law enforcement to discipline an 8 yr old...really?

I mean, WTF is a LEO supposed to do with an unruly 8 year old?

The schools don't call to DISCIPLINE. They call to help CONTROL destructive and dangerous behavior. I can't say I approve of his techniques but having been in his position on several occasions the thought of handcuffing did cross my mind and on a couple of occasions I was forced to handcuff juveniles.

Be a teacher in a behavior disorder class room for a few days and you would be doing the same. You could not pay me enough to do it.

In reality, the persons I wanted to hand cuff the most was their parents. There seemed to be a connection between parents who could not or would not teach their kids manners and expectation of behavior in a school setting. They needed some time in cuffs to make a point to their lazy @$$e$.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
He's an ex teacher.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, then put him in prison.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
OK, then put him in prison.
I wouldn't be opposed to that. What he did to that kid reminds one of North Korean torture methods.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What we need is more people just like you to become cops...you may get your ass kicked a lot, but by God the public will respect you!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why all the love for "zero tolerance" That cop needs only mild consequences for breaking the rules. Probably helped the kid.

abusus non tollit usum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by smokepole
This cop needs serious consequences?

Three questions:

1) What makes you think he won't get them.

2) Are the consequences he gets any of your concern.

3) People all over the world do stuff every day that merits "serious consequences." Why single out this particular person. What is so remarkable here.

OK, that was 4.
Cops hold a unique position of authority in our society, making this a matter of common concern for Americans.

"A concern for Americans??

Are you implying that a citizen of say, Poughkeepsie NY has some sort of duty to concern himself with how citizens of say, Des Moines Iowa discipline their police officers? Doesn't that smack of federal control of what should be a local concern?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why the handcuffs when a couple flashbangs would have worked?

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a teacher of "special needs kids" can't control them in a classroom without calling a cop, the teacher needs to find a different job, or the class size should be reduced to make it manageable.

I suspect that an "ordinary" cop would have handled the situation much better than this former school teacher turned cop. An "ordinary cop" would probably never have considered cuffing an eight year old.

When you add the arrogance of a teacher to the authority of a cop, you have a BAD critter.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm 100 percent ok with what the guy did from what I read.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
They just whupped the piss out of us back when I was a kid.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.