Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Minneapolis dentist Walter Palmer closes office, goes into hiding

A Minnesota congresswomen is asking the U.S. Attorney’s office and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service to investigate allegations that big game hunter and Minneapolis-based dentist Walter Palmer illegally killed a black maned lion dubbed “Cecil” during a guided hunt in Africa.

Democratic Rep. Betty McCollum said in a statement the killing of the lion was “a disgraceful display of callous cruelty,” arguing Palmer “lured [Cecil] from a protected Zimbabwean National Park, hunted with a bow and arrow, skinned and beheaded” the famous cat.

“For those of us committed to ending poaching of iconic African species I strongly believe the U.S. Attorneys’ Office and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service should investigate whether U.S. laws were violated related to conspiracy, bribery of foreign officials, and the illegal hunting of a protected species or animal,” McCollum said in a July 29 statement. “I will also continue to work with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to pursue laws that protect iconic, threatened and endangered animals around the world from barbaric ‘sport hunting’ at the hands of ultra-wealthy elites.”

McCollum is the co-chair of the International Congressional Conservation Caucus and serves as the ranking Democrat on the Department of Interior Appropriations subcommittee.

Meanwhile, reports indicate Palmer has shut down his dental business in the face of vicious protest and has gone into hiding.

Palmer’s hired spokesman, Jon Austin, said he believed Palmer was in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. No one answered the door at Palmer’s home, and a woman who came out of his dental office in nearby Bloomington said he wasn’t there or taking patients. Phone calls to listed home numbers went unanswered.

According to U.S. court records, Palmer pleaded guilty in 2008 to making false statements to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service about a black bear he fatally shot in western Wisconsin. Palmer had a permit to hunt but shot the animal outside the authorized zone in 2006, then tried to pass it off as being killed elsewhere, according to court documents. He was given one year probation and fined nearly $3,000.

Palmer has several hunts on record with the Pope and Young Club, where bowhunters register big game taken in North America for posterity, said Glenn Hisey, the club’s director of records. Hisey said he didn’t have immediate access to records showing the types and number of animals killed by Palmer, but he noted that club records involve legal hunts “taken under our rules of fair chase.”

Although African game wouldn’t be eligible, Hisey said he alerted the group’s board that Palmer’s ethics were being called into question. He said Palmer’s domestic records could be jeopardized if he’s found to have done something illegal abroad.

Also, one of America’s top big game organizations has suspended Palmer’s membership “pending the outcome of an investigation” into Cecil’s death.

“Safari Club International supports a full and thorough investigation of the circumstances surrounding the death of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe,” the 47,000 member organization said. “SCI has imposed immediate emergency membership suspensions of both the involved hunter and his guide/professional hunter, and they will remain in place pending the outcome of an investigation.”

A Facebook page for Palmer’s Minnesota dental practice was taken offline Tuesday after users flooded it with comments condemning Palmer’s involvement in the hunt. Hundreds of similar comments inundated a page for his dental practice on the review platform Yelp, which prior to Tuesday had only three comments.

Some people left stuffed animals at the door to his shuttered office in a sign of protest.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A stupid liberal democrat and a woman to boot. I'm tired of hearing this schitt and hope all the guys going over get their lions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Um...whatever happened to America not being the World's police?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Um...whatever happened to America not being the World's police?

That only applies to Christians being exterminated and Iran getting nukes.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beyond ridiculous. How much of this crap are we going to put up with before the whole thing goes off?!

LOL
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
And this "Congrsswoman" probably also voted not to defund Planned Parenthood, apparently a lion in another county is more important. Makes me shake my head everyday.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
you just knew it would be a dhimmicrat...........

Sam......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Federal probe...
Definition... Use the IRS to harass him, and have his dentistry licence revoked.
A state can revoke a physician’s license if it was improperly issued. Revocation is also justified in instances where the license holder has been guilty of improper or unlawful conduct.

[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
you just knew it would be a dhimmicrat...........

I don't think any of are surprised it's a MN democrap either.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
She ought to be looking into why the guy had to close down his practice, he's been harassed out of business.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm surprised she beat Sheila Jackson Lee to it. She's our local Dimwit. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is Africa's problem right now and the US needs to stay the hell out of it. I sincerely doubt that the hunter did anything except what his PH (guide) told him to do. If there was any wrong doing, that is where it needs to be investigated. That is a big "If" at this point. With all of the corruption over there, I doubt if we ever know the truth about this. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if obama can make it America's problem, then he will have succeeded once again in doing harm to the Country.

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 3,386 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.