Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Cabellas in Idaho Falls had bricks of 1000 for $20.00. They seem to only come in two versions small and large, used interchangably for rifle and pistol.

Has anyone used them? Anything one would need to know beyond just normal load workup? I'm thinking if nothing else they'll do OK for basic range ammo in my 9mm.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Rifle primers are deeper than pistol primers.

I have never used the Sellior and Bellot primers.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They are different for rifle and pistol applications.

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/product/components/primers/

They have similar numbers, but different alphabetical suffixes.

I've used about two hundred S&B large rifle primers so far, and they are on the mild end *if* chronograph results indicate anything. Consistency and grouping results are right in there with others.

Then usual intensity and cup thickness differences between rifle and pistol primers aside, large rifle and large pistol primers and pockets are of different heights.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Well drat! I think I got the small rifle size. Why on earth does it say suitable for rifle, pistol, and revolver ammo right on the box?

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought only large rifle and pistol primer pockets had different depths and small primer pockets were the same. Is this not hwy you can use pistol primers in Hornet brass?

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Well now there's a good question!

Stupidity is expensive
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by GunReader
I thought only large rifle and pistol primer pockets had different depths and small primer pockets were the same. Is this not hwy you can use pistol primers in Hornet brass?

That is correct. Small rifle/pistol are the same size. Large rifle is taller than large pistol, but same diameter.

S&B primers are marked "SR", "SP" etc on the box. I use the SR and SP versions, have not tried the large versions. They are OK for blasting or target ammo, but I've had a couple fail to fire out of the last 1,000, so I wouldn't personally use them for defense or hunting.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was running low on Large Rifle primers when the current President was first elected, S&B was the only brand I could find anywhere so I bought the last 5000 Sinclair had.

They have been fine and I bought another brick since but am down to 1200.
I have several others brands as well but I'll be checking the local Cabelas, thanks for the "Heads Up"!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've been picking up a couple of boxes each time I go up to Potland on business.. since it is in Czech on the box, the morons at Cabelas don't know the difference.. they had large pistol mixed in with large rifle and small rifle mixed in with small pistol....

They are darn good primers and have given me good accurate consistent loads a lower prices...

Large rifle are labeled 5,3 LR Boxer

Large pistol are labeled 5,3 LP Boxer

Small Rifle are labeled 4,4 SR Boxer

and Small Pistol is labled 4,4 SP Boxer

That is the only thing on the box indicating what they are for, unless you read Czech...

at the top of the box it will read, Zapalky Primers, " for rilfe, Pistol, or revolver cartridges", which is really misleading for we Gringos...

hope this helps...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,471
Posts18,451,724
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.