-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pick it up by the scope but I can't think of a comfortable carry position I would use it for more then transferring off the ground to carry position

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
never have. my hands fit around the rifle just fine.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by SKane
I don't make it a habit but I do it on occasion.

+1

+2

I also carry it upside down by the receiver/magazine area.....occasionally, and frequently the so-called "African"carry...

Pisses me off to agree with our new overzealous moderator but +3.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
... What was it chambered in? Travis

Probably somebody's shop. blush

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Never, as it does not make sense to me either.

I saw a new scope get hit directly by a rock on the elevation turret. The scope buckled from the impact at the W&E housing. The rifle was slung over my son's shoulder and he slipped on a wet rock. He didn't fall completely down but the elevation housing took the blow.

You have a relatively thin aluminum tube inserted into the housing that contains the W&E mechanism - in many, but not all scopes. Carrying a 7 lb. or more rifle with the weight concentrated on such a joint seems like trouble waiting to happen. Murphy is alive and well.

(I also carry it upside down with my fingers around the magazine, never by the scope.)

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Grabbed, yes, carry, no.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Grabbed, yes, carry, no.

+1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
So a scope getting whacked on the elevation turret with a rock is the same as carrying a rifle by the scope?

One of the valid ways to use a collimator (which so many people refuse to do because they can "bore-sight" the old-fashioned way) is to put one on the muzzle of a rifle in a vise, and then how doing various various things to the scope affects how the reticle lines up. You can make the reticle do all sorts of things just by pressing the top of the adjustment turrets in some scopes, or pressing the objective and ocular bell in different directions. But damn few scopes change POI just because we pressed on them a little.

This is because even big, tough scopes have to be a little flexible to withstand recoil. If manufacturers actually made them super-stiff, all sorts of problems would appear.

I'm one of those ignorant nitwits who does carry a rifle by the scope occasionally, and have yet to experience a change in POI. So +17, or whatever.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I'm one of those ignorant nitwits who does carry a rifle by the scope occasionally, and have yet to experience a change in POI. So +17, or whatever.

laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell yes it's a handle... Anymore questions??? whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Bill,

I know it makes some people cringe, but I've not owned or used an internal adjusting scope or mounts that were so schitty they would lose zero from supporting the weight of the gun they're mounted to.

I think compared to the recoil a scope endures, being used as a carrying handle is next to nothing.

Travis

I like for my rifles to balance right under the turrets... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
John, I did not say a rock whack and carrying by the scope were the same thing. There is a joint - at least in that scope - that partially separated. Any joint can be a potential weak part in any structure. Some scopes may be made differently, you know more about that than I do. But you often caution against tightening the ring screws too much because of the thinness of the scope tube. So why put unnecessary stress on the tube and joint?

To me it seems prudent not to take chances; since carrying a rifle by the stock is not difficult!

It does not matter to me how people carry their rifles as long as they are safe with it. I simply chose not to carry a rifle by the aiming device.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bill_N: I do not partake of the scope as a handle policy.
I am NOT sure whether it is or could be detrimental to maintaining a Rifle/scopes desired point of impact/sight/in?
I use slings and hand carry of the stock.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
been using my scopes as handles forever.

Never any problems (unless there so low I can't carry them that way!)...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CKW,

I simply chose not to carry a rifle by the aiming device.

This must be a hard lesson to learn. A rifle scope is not just an aiming device. This very thread proves that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I stick my finger in the muzzle and drag it behind me

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I only use the Euros as handles, the budweiser beer can material on Leupolds just does not cut it . grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I can't make myself carry the few scoped rifles I own by the scopes. I'll either sling it over my shoulder or hand carry it by the stock. Prolly nothin' wrong with it within reason...I just can't bring myself to do it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just as long as no one happens to hold it at eye level and use it to look at something.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't do it but with a GOOD scope and GOOD steel mounts I don't think it would be a problem. What I get a kick out of it when guys use it as a handle with cheap aluminum see through rings and a $50 scope. When I worked at a gun shop I did a test where I mounted a scope in see through mounts, bore sighted it and then walked around the store for about an hour carrying it by the scope. I then put the bore sighter back in - not even close! Then again if the scope didn't bore sight right with see throughs we would just push on the scope and give the rings a little "tweek"!

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 3,032 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.