Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have at least one more left in me

Eland, Nyala, Zebra and really big Kudu still keep me wanting more

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
When going to the Taxidermy in your African country, let your PH give your mounts in because they charge you more when they hear you are American or foreign. You will save a good deal of money when you do so.

Uxbridge Safaris
Email: [email protected]

The best times are around the fire discussing tomorrows hunt.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Did Moz. in 2011, two buffalo skulls, one eland skull, one bushbuck shoulder mount and eland hide. Just short or 5K to from start to finish, never again. Did RSA in 2006 and had six skulls and one shoulder mount for just under 2k.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Johann

The trophies for export must be accomanied by the PH register copy.

To leave the country they must be inspected by nature conservation which will also require the ph regester documents for export.

There is no way to get them exported without proper documents which require nature conservation and the taxidermy shop to participate.

As far as getting a ph to do this and " try" to help. That is more likely to take away from his commission to send the trophies to that taxidermist to begin with.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Johann

The trophies for export must be accomanied by the PH register copy.

To leave the country they must be inspected by nature conservation which will also require the ph regester documents for export.

There is no way to get them exported without proper documents which require nature conservation and the taxidermy shop to participate.

As far as getting a ph to do this and " try" to help. That is more likely to take away from his commission to send the trophies to that taxidermist to begin with.

I know the commission/kick back to be a fact

I had to dig and even send more than a couple emails that I asked friends to help me with dig into the rebate money

I had a half dozen friends from accross the country email the same taxidermist is South Africa

From the prices they were quoted vs my prices they varied for the same exact species
by $75 per animal

10 heads = a $750 quote differential from the same d&p guy in the same month

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've always dreamed of going and can easily afford the trip. Doubling the cost, however, just to get some bone and hide home sounds like a complete rip off.

Might just do my exotics in Texas.

1Minute
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Unless it's something real spectacular, I won't be doing taxidermy again. I don't have the bills handy, but it's been about $4k to get five animals back. That does not include the actual taxidermy!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Once again the "market" will react to what the cost is. There is no escaping that fact. While premature, I wonder what the "cost" will be to the industry as the Cecil debate is still on the front burner. Unscrupulous businesses will diminish their own industry soon enough. What will be left are those in the uber rich class who will still participate.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tedthorn, I've run every aspect of the safari business now for over 20 years, both living in RSA and here in the USA. If any one needs to fond out how something works in Africa with the Safari industry, this is the place to ask! Although some things might work best through the PM system

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess the question that needs to be asked now is: With the current ban by ALL the airlines on shipping trophies back to the states, will the cost of taxidermy mounts that are already done go through the roof as well? Looking at the price of some of the mounts on line, there are a few that are quite reasonable, while others will just stay where they are.

I'm guessing only time will tell.....I wanted mounts done from my first (and so far, only) safari, because it was "special". I had animals done that meant "Africa" to me (gemsbok, blue wildebeest), and I must say that I am disappointed in the mounts.
They are also quite large!!! ....and I don't have much wall space, and will probably have even less in the future, as we are talking about downsizing. I have a few more animals that I would like to "put on the wall" (springbok, black wildebeest), but as others have said, unless it is quite spectacular, I don't think I will pay the money to have it done.....quite frankly, I could be on my 2nd safari right now with what it cost to have taxidermy done.

Crunching some numbers, it would be cheaper just to pay the VAT on the trophy fees and call it a hunt. I'm also considering cull/management hunts in the future as well, because for me, it's about the hunt nowadays and not so much about putting a trophy on the wall. I'm even considering doing a cow elk or cow moose hunt, as they are a fair bit cheaper, taste the same, and there is "less pressure" to "get a big one".

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
IC B3

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey 16gauge, the taste is the same, but the chew ability is in almost every case far better!

I think your numbers are correct. Most basic first time plains game hunts are less expensive then the taxidermy and other costs to get them on the wall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This thread has been depressing. I can't believe how expensive the shipping has gotten.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
This thread has been depressing. I can't believe how expensive the shipping has gotten.

If you're depressed now, wait till you start to explore what's being charged for DG hunts. They've gone up considerably over the past 2-3 years, and all the add-on nickle/dime charges have gotten quite ridiculous. A lot of them even want $275 -$450 per day for an observer/non hunting companion! crazy

I refuse to be gouged, so going back to Africa is no longer in my plans.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
jorge,

Sorry buddy! the last thing I wanted to do was make you depressed. However I know that shooting something fantastic would bring you out of it. I have that medicine in RSA. Just let me know when you are ready for treatment.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Unless you have something that has spots or tusks...Although I often-times pine for a Lord Derby..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems to me the attraction of an African hunt, at least for us common folk, has been the value. Compared to a Brown Bear hunt in AK, etc., one could, with less money, have a great African PG hunt.

All these new airline rules, this Cecil stuff, may put a dent in that business. Of course, the Trump boys, et. al., will always be able to hunt Zim or any where they want. Those of us considering a Namibia or RSA adventure may be looking domestically for exotics, Nilgai, etc.

All this may enhance the local exotic hunting business, high fence notwithstanding. High fences may become less of a pariah to those wanting to hunt certain species.

Time will tell.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Seems to me the attraction of an African hunt, at least for us common folk, has been the value. Compared to a Brown Bear hunt in AK, etc., one could, with less money, have a great African PG hunt.

All these new airline rules, this Cecil stuff, may put a dent in that business. Of course, the Trump boys, et. al., will always be able to hunt Zim or any where they want. Those of us considering a Namibia or RSA adventure may be looking domestically for exotics, Nilgai, etc.

All this may enhance the local exotic hunting business, high fence notwithstanding. High fences may become less of a pariah to those wanting to hunt certain species.

Time will tell.

DF

When you consider that you can hunt several different species for the same cost (including airfare) as you can one decent elk hunt out west, or an Alaskan hunt where you take one animal of one species, then it's not a pretty good value, but a great value! I really enjoyed my trip over there last year....great place, great people, great hunt.
However, now some things have changed: if it's not the antis turning us into social pariahs with lies and outright bullshit, it's our own govt. making taking our own firearms out of country difficult, with rules that they (the Obama administration) instigated to curb gun running by drug dealers in Mexico (guns which they (the administration), let go there in the first place!). To make it even more difficult, nobody in said administration had ANY idea as to how to enforce the said rules.....talk about a cluster!!!
I hope to go to Africa again...I seriously doubt that I will bring many, if any, more heads/trophies back...the cost is just too ridiculous anymore, and photos fit on the wall much better.
As you said, Dirtfarmer.......only time will tell!

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I had planned on going back next spring/summer...supposed to meet with PH this week or next. But now I am questioning going again....wanted a shoulder mount Nyala but....now it may be a skull mount if anything...if I go....sigh...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.