Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
davet Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I'm looking at a couple, which would you rank best?

CVA Optima
Knight 50
BPI 50 magnum hunter
Rem 700 muzzle loader.

It looked like the Knight was an older model and used a musket cap instead of a 209 primer. Is that anything to worry about?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing to worry about at all.

If you're buying used, make sure the bore is spotless. Then, in either new or used before you shoot it, DynaBoreCoat the bore. You will thank yourself later, every time you shoot it.

The Rem 700 is just an odd duck. Why go with a bolt action on a muzzleloader? You're adding weight and length when neither is needed or desirable. I have no experience with or around the BPI. The CVA is a decent ML, but be wary of the years and SNs involved in recalls. If it's outside of that, use it sensibly. The Knight is a good, solid, older ML.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kinda apples to oranges selection. Part would depend on your states regulations regarding ignition. The Knight and Rem are open breech designs and not suitable for use with Blackhorn 209. Their percusion ignition will work fine with the appropriate powders... real black powder, Pyrodex, 777, Black MZ, but not BH209.
Personally, I'd stay away from anything that has BPI on it.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by davet
I'm looking at a couple, which would you rank best?

CVA Optima
Knight 50
BPI 50 magnum hunter
Rem 700 muzzle loader.

It looked like the Knight was an older model and used a musket cap instead of a 209 primer. Is that anything to worry about?

Easy choice ....... Knight.

If you are interested in using Blackhorn 209 powder, you will need 209 ignition. Have you considered a brand new, inexpensive, good brand name ML? You can get a new T/C Impact at Cabelas for $249. I like it over the CVA Wolf at $199.

Last edited by Triple_Se7en; 08/06/15.
D
davet Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
These are at the local gun shop, and that is how I came up with the list.

Looking at the prices of new, that might be the better way to go.

I have a black powder hunt in Colorado for elk, so I will be using full bore projectiles, instead of sabots.

Thanks.

I've shot a lot of round ball traditional muzzle loaders from .36-.50, but this is my first go at inlines.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The 700ML can be converted into a very fine rifle for less than $150. That one conversion makes it Blackhorn compatible. It has one huge advantage all the others are missing also.

Massive amount of aftermarket upgrades, If the upgrade fits a Rem700 center fire, it has a very good chance of fitting a 700ML. Stocks, triggers, scope bases and mounts ect.

Plus you can buy high quality aftermarket ML barrels that can handle smokeless powder too. Pacnor, Brux and McGowen just to name a few that are ready to install.

If you just want a rifle to extend your season and are not really into just shooting a ML, get a new model Optima.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Optima, it will run the others right into the ground. Especially with BH209.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bigblock455
Optima, it will run the others right into the ground. Especially with BH209.

Is that the new 36" Optima model (shown) you're kneeling with? wink

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
hahaha no they are getting crazy enough with the 30" barrels these days.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a Knight bolt gun and like it very much, but if I were shooting BP, 777, or Pyrodex, I might go with something easier to take down for cleaning. With BH209, it's no problem.

Look into the Hornady FPBs for full caliber bullets using BH209. I use a 1/2" flanged nylon washer to help get it started straight in the bore, but Hornady makes a tool for that now. Lead conicals aren't recommended with BH209, but are fine with the other stuff. Powerbelts are another option, but lots of folks don't like them.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The action on newer Knights stays very clean with the bare primer system. Its a mess though with the plastic jackets in Extremes and Mountaineers.

Ive had no problems with Blackhorn and conicals in Knight rifles with the bare primer. A Powerjunk is basically a under sized conical and many people shoot them with Blackhorn. Add a tight fitting fiber wad or MMP sub base to the conical and its just fine.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If Colorado requires iron or open sights, don't overlook the traditional rifles either.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had the same dilemma a year or so ago...I settled on the Optima Elite Compact...and have been quite happy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yup, that's the one I was thinking of. Available in fast-twist, slow-twist, or both! Also flint.

Guy had one at the range years ago with the 1-32" and a Lyman peep. He was shooting groups at 100 yards that some CF shooters would be okay with.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I would also look at the TC Omega.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
if its colorado, stay away from tc's.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Curious why you say that? BIL uses the Omega with Powerbelts with pretty good success.

Truly is just a question.

I personally don't care for the PB but they have worked for him.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Yup, that's the one I was thinking of. Available in fast-twist, slow-twist, or both! Also flint.

Guy had one at the range years ago with the 1-32" and a Lyman peep. He was shooting groups at 100 yards that some CF shooters would be okay with.

That one is a .54 FWIW. I don't argue against the array of new age MLs out there, to each his own I reckon. Don't have any use for them either. The T/C Hawken and Renegades shoot conicals and PRB well enough and the Maxi Ball will sure enough put the stomp on critters.

Some think of the old style as being dirty (they aren't) or inaccurate (nope) or that old eyes are challenged by iron sights (maybe). Gun below shot the target that follows, offhand 50 yards and me with cataracts at the time. Long sight radius and irons work with old eyes if you give them a chance. I like simple and it doesn't get much simpler than this.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If Colorado requires iron or open sights, don't overlook the traditional rifles either.

Got to agree with that.

My T/C. Hawken .54 with Goex will shoot 100 yard groups with open sights that would make a lot of Center Fire rifle shooters envious.
Personally, if I had to hunt with an inline muzzle loader, I'd probably stay home. YMMV

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,975
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.