Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've owned three MRC's in the recent past. All three shot exceptionally well. I didn't get a group buy 260, but may lay claims to one if something falls through with a buyer in the next few days.

I will say I've not shot a MRC in the new stock -- only fondled them. We have a 7-08 on the shelf. I picked it up to play with it a bit and noticed the tang was a little proud. I took it in my office to see what was going on and the action screws weren't very tight -- probably around 20 inch pounds. I snugged it up and all was good.

I'd not be alarmed by this and I'm sure most on here pop the rifle out of the stock before shooting anyway (I can't imagine not checking things out underneath before flinging bullets!).

The 7-08 may have been an exception to the rule, but I'd check the action screws before heading out to shoot. I know most of you will anyway...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Darrik - what did you use for torque values for the action screws? Does MRC have a recommendation on this?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Originally Posted by RatFink
Picked my rifle up today from my FFL. Awesome looking rig. I will mount my scope tonight and try to hit the range tomorrow evening. If I can get it dialed in, it just might get to shoot a Mountain Goat this weekend.

RF, Any range or hunting reports yet?

Not yet. I have acquired 40 rounds of Nosler 130 grain AB's factory ammo and now I just have to find the time to hit the range. Weekends I am elk hunting and cutting firewood, but I am actually home on the weekdays until mid next week so I anticipate either wednesday or thursday this week I can get to the range. I killed my mountain goat a week ago with my Tikka Superlight, so the urgency to get this rifle ready has waned. I won't need it until late October now. I do want to get it ready sooner than later though. I will report in when I finally get to shoot it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congrats on the mountain goat. What area were you hunting?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Down in the Beartooth's. I will try to get a post up soon.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
We have a 7-08 on the shelf. I picked it up to play with it a bit and noticed the tang was a little proud. I took it in my office to see what was going on and the action screws weren't very tight -- probably around 20 inch pounds. I snugged it up and all was good.

I'd not be alarmed by this and I'm sure most on here pop the rifle out of the stock before shooting anyway (I can't imagine not checking things out underneath before flinging bullets!)..

My action screws were almost loose. I snugged them up a bit before heading to the range. I hope to get a bit more time to go out and try a few more loads. We just had our 3rd child on Wednesday so with 3 kids and the oldest being 3 my range trips are going to be even more limited.

Bb

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I just picked up my RH from the FFL today. Mounted a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 with Talley LWs weight is 8#s2.5oz.I'm pleased with the rifle overall (good thing since I already ordered 2 of the .243s)just a couple of things I don't like. Would have been nice to have ss slings studs and the floorplate rattles a little. I've had good luck with the aluminum floorplates from Pacific Tool on Model 70s so will probably order one should also get the weight under 8#s. I have a couple of different factory loads I'm going to try next week and will then see about working up some handloads.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Just picked my RH up from the FFL this afternoon. First impressions on fit and finish match those already reported. Weighed the rifle (no ammunition in the magazine) on my digital kitchen scale and got 7 lb 5 oz - I have no idea how accurate this scale is so take the weight with a grain of salt.

Checked the barrel free float with a dollar bill and found a little restriction just ahead of the breech end of the flutes for an inch or so. Should be easy to get that out once I have some time to spend on it. Didn't notice the floorplate rattle that hidalgo mentioned - I'm sure these all have their own unique characteristics!!

Picked out 5 random brand new un-sized Laupua .260 brass out of a box of 100 and all chambered easily.

Will be a little while before I can get to the range - have a set of Talley lightweight low's and several sight-in scopes to choose from. Not sure yet on the hunting scope. Looking forward to getting some bullets fired thru it.

First impressions are very positive - hope that's a good sign.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Here are a few pics of my first attempt with my new MRC. I Loaded up some 140 Grain Amax over some H414. I shot this group from 75 yards and it was the first 3 rounds out of the gun.
[Linked Image]

The next day I ran through 3 loads of RL19, 5 loads with H414 both with more 140 grain Amax. I also had 3 loads from Barnes, but none were better than 1.25". Here are the 2 best groups with the H414 with the Amax, one was a little better than .70" and the other was .88".

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Overall, I like this gun and look forward to getting the Barnes to shoot a little better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got in my X2 in 7mm08. This is my first rifle with the 3 position safety. Man is it tough to get it back to safe from the fire position.goes easily from safe to fire. Just curious if this is a common with this type of safety, if you all with the 260s notice the same trait. I have a bud that got in a 25-06 a few weeks ago. Same thing. Wondering if it will work a bit easier over time.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I noticed the same thing with moving the safety lever rearward from "fire" to the mid position on my .260. Cycled it a couple dozen times and it seemed to be a little easier - but maybe I was just getting used to it?? The only other safety like this I've had was on a well used pre-64 Model 70. It was noticeable when moving from the safety lever but nothing like this new MRC.

Interested like Boarmaster123 to hear from others if this gets better - my rifle will be used eventually by a grandson who may struggle a little if it does not improve.

Overall it's a nitpick - still really like this rifle for its intended purpose.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks other than that my comments would mimic the others. I can make my trap door rattle if I try. I probably wouldnt have even noticed it if. Not previously mentioned. Other than that the rifle seems well built and fit and finish is excellent. I had them shorten the barrel to 22. Hopefully it shoots.It cycles great.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I had them shorten the barrel to 22.

Was it not 22" to start with? Haven't measured mine and can't at the moment, but I'm fairly positive these were supposed to be made w' 22" tubes.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Scroll up, he got one of the standard 7-08's, not a 260.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. Members Bull & Boar ran together on me...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Took my new mrc 260 to the range for the first time. Very pleased with it so far. Shot two sub moa groups with factory ammo at 100 yard paper target. Then shot groups of around 2 inches at steel target at 270 yards.
I fired 20 rounds in less than 25 minutes and never paused to let the barrel cool. Saw no signs of shift of point of impact or tendency to string groups. No failures to feed or function of any kind. Fit and finish were very nice and the trigger is a joy. Also had no issues with the safety and it was quiet which is always a good thing for me. Not set up to post pics right now but I can email them if anybody wants to post them for me.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Started load work up with mine. Everything sub-moa or close so far. Last group with 4 130 Accubonds and H4350 went an inch exactly with three in 3/8". I think I may start fine tuning that load.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My best group was with the 130 grain nosler accubond too. What velocity and charge weight are you at with h4350?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Took the bad boy out. General zero and shot bullets from the Nosler LRA 142, the Lapua 123 Scenar ,117 GS Customs and Fusion 120 factory.
123 Scenars shined today. 46.0 grains of H 4350 .034 off the lands@ about 2900 fps. 4 shots went .371 5th went out to 1.077. Muzzle blast next bench was a bitch. Was shooting off sandbags today. Quite pleased and looking forward to trying the heaver Scenars. My 260 goes 8.4 up trigger is at 3.0 lbs. I likely.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 47 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.