Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I've never owned either.
Both are 25-06 with 24" sporter barrels.
Both are available for about the same money.
Any reason I should lean one way or the other?

Last edited by waterdoctor; 07/31/15.
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My Winchesters shoot great. No significant experience with a Browning.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I picked up a Win 70 Featherweight and later in the year a Browning X-Bolt Eclipse in 25-06. The X-Bolt was more accurate and has found a home. The Winchester has gone down the road.

I also have an X-Bolt Stainless Hunter in 308 and a T-Bolt in 22LR. Guess you could say that I prefer the Brownings.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The XBolts have some interesting features, but the styling is a bit much for my old-reactionary-fart tastes. I tend to favor simple stuff that works. If the M70 has the new funky trigger, I'd be tempted to try the Browning just for kicks.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by waterdoctor
I've never owned either.
Both are 25-06 with 24" sporter barrels.
Both are available for about the same money.
Any reason I should lean one way or the other?

OF course, all Winchester model 70's are created equal aren't they???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I would go with the X-Bolt Myself, I have had a dozen or more X-Bolt rifles and found them to be the most accurate out of the box rifles I have ever owned and I have owned most all the popular brands including Winchester, Ruger, Tikka, Sako, Remington and CZ.......Good luck with your purchase.......Hb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That funky black piece on the side of the bolt I guess is supposed to make bolt travel straight, but all it does in my two rifles is make the bolt travel sticky and difficult to cycle. I wonder if it can be removed.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by sambubba
That funky black piece on the side of the bolt I guess is supposed to make bolt travel straight, but all it does in my two rifles is make the bolt travel sticky and difficult to cycle. I wonder if it can be removed.

The bolt doesn't ride on that black piece. It's there to depress the cartridges in the magazine I think. I've also been very impressed with the accuracy of now 4 X-Bolts I've had experience with. The barrels and triggers are excellent.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think they are similar in quality, I would compare them in my hands and to the shoulder, and let my body choose.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I think they are similar in quality, I would compare them in my hands and to the shoulder, and let my body choose.

I think you've got your best answer right here.

John

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like my X-Bolt, it shoots MOA with factory fodder and well under with hand loads. The only thing I'd do differently is buy the stalker version instead of the hunter.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would vastly prefer the 70 over a half dozen X Bolts, but that's just my opinion

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have had better luck with out of the box accuracy with X-Bolts over Winchester. I prefer both or either over Rem, Savage, Ruger or Tikka. I much prefer the X-Bolt over the A-Bolt.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Browning has the worst customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. That makes the decision easy.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Browning and Winchester are now sister brands from FN, unless I'm mistaken. No difference in service these days.

While the Mormans still owned Browning, I had both bad and excellent services from them. Their repair facility in MO had extremely capable craftsmen. Sometimes they had to be motivated.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jstevens
I would vastly prefer the 70 over a half dozen X Bolts, but that's just my opinion
And I'd echo that..

Originally Posted by Pappy348
If the M70 has the new funky trigger, I'd be tempted to try the Browning just for kicks.
And you'd be terribly disappointed....and most here know I am NO fan of that MOA trigger..

Gives ya a hint.. smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got 2 X-bolts and 2 Model 70's. The Brownings are better shooters, but the Model 70's fit me better.

I also prefer the trigger on the Browning, but the Model 70's aren't bad either, just seem to have more creep.

I've got lighter trigger springs and probably have close to 700 rounds through both the Brownings and half that many through the Winchesters.

No problems with either.

Buy what fits you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.