Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not at all. You shoot it wherever, on your own, 2 groups of 10 at 100, no bench rest or such, bipod or other allowed, optics or irons.

If you have a .5 moa average rifle, you'll do really well!

I shot mine at home, not a soul around, Carolyn was at home about 300 yards from the range here...

EASY.

I'm about like you I bet. I do better not around folks for the most part, save a good core of good folks.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by brinky72
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by brinky72
I've shot several deer using the 55 gr V-max out of a .223 carbine, 16.5" bolt gun. I'm getting .5" average groups at 100yards with my hand loads. It is the same load that I worked up for my DPMS carbine and it works equally well in my bolt gun. They do the job on average sized whitetail just fine. All shots in the engine room just behind the shoulder. Ribs aren't tough to break on deer,even with a "varmint" bullet.

You need to join the 24 hour challenge match in the AR forum!!!

That sounds like I'd have to be around people entirely too long. No thanks.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9834630/1

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I sold the DPMS some time ago but the load I used in it I shoot in my Ruger M77 Bolt carbine. IIRC it's 26gr W748,CCI primer, 55grain V-max just touching the lands. That particular rifle is on the rack with a for sale sign on it due to a recent acquisition of identical rifle in .243. All I have in the black rifle arena is an issued Colt M-4 with stock sights. Not sure how well that would swing in the accuracy category as all that it is fed per orders is 62 grain federal premium bonded. Effective on targets but not the tidiest load. Worth a try, now just to figure out the whole posting pics thing. Never was big on that.

Last edited by brinky72; 08/23/15.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fascinating "testimonials" here and you gals came REALLY fhuqking close to almost doing something. Laughing!

Lookin' to be yet another A-Max Year here and there's been some rather splendid Beasties 'Max'd offa their feet. Pard stroked a 118" gross Buck last week,another sluiced a non-typical at 515yds with a single Krunchenticker poke(75 HPBT in fairness). Another left in his 'Cub from work yesterday,with a 1st Gen Ti 22-250AI in tow,with A-Max in the belly and that rifle's already sluiced a brace of 40"++ Sheep. The Caribou tally on same,is beyond impressive.

Yet another pard 'Max'd this last week at the 475yd line.

[Linked Image]

I'm a coupla layovers from the house and will see that 32,40 and 50gr 'Max punch tags...if only to give The Do Nothing Gang just a bit more to Whine about,as they talk out their ass and wax eloquent on all the things they almost did,the wares they almost used and the places they've almost been.

Bless your hearts.

I'm thinkin'a BHW MK12 SPR faux spout is at the house awaiting installation and I reckon I'll prolly have to get it bloody too.

Only 18 Tags left to fill.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So Stick, who do you think makes the best AR barrels? My Daniel Mk12 seems stuck on 1.25-1.50 MOA, regardless of loads, scopes, etc. Thinking of a 18" SPR or Mk12 style.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you are picky on accuracy, go custom, its really the only way to go IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Tex how does the DD do for 5 shot groups? Not many are basing their accuracy on 20 shots.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
So Stick, who do you think makes the best AR barrels? My Daniel Mk12 seems stuck on 1.25-1.50 MOA, regardless of loads, scopes, etc. Thinking of a 18" SPR or Mk12 style.

Pard has a 16" DD LW Middie,that is ABSOFHUQKINGLUTELY sinister. It's off the gawwddamned charts stupid Precise and could give a schit less about temps,as well as being very ammo friendly. I fhuqked up not getting one,to see if it were a "fluke" or not and went BHW instead on a LW 18" Middie. My mistake.

Waltzed through the door and made a pass looking for my BHW MK12 spout and couldn't see it,but I think Big Momma gets a kick outta hiding my schit.(grin) Did find a Midway order though,with a coupla more magazines for the BABLR and just prior to being wheels up on the last pass,I tossed a 20MOA rail on it,to eek some more goody outta the MK4 M3 aboard it. EGW's nomenclature bit me hard,as I was fairly certain that a 22-250 BLR donor receiver was a short action(rebarreled to 7-08). Had to go Plan B and bucked the guts outta it,so as to start logging. No thang.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Always have wondered if a 162 A-Max would kill a Critter or not and she should now easily reach the 1200yd line on the erector. Can see it become Legendary.

It's easy to get "cute" with AR spouts and I've assuredly done did it many times over,but when the dust settles,it's tough to whoop a C/L spout that's gas system is Middie or better. They fend atmospheric abuses,happily take a lick and more often than not,will plum dazzle.

C/L spouts fhuqking LOVE moly and I've seen 'em do some amazing thangs. have taken a pile of 'em, JB'd 'em sterile and been left trying to figure out how in THE fhuqk they perform so incredibly well. Back in the day,it was a sure fire way to turn dubious pards onto moly.

I think I'll dabble a Criterion C/L 1-8" Rifle Gas Hybrid contour next,just to see WTF. Brownells has 'em in stock...................

(Addendum:)

Just called BHW and they sent the parcel out the 10th...so it's GOTTA be here.

Somewhere?!?......................(grin)

(RE-Addendum:)

Finally found the BHW MK12 spout,setting on a coffee table in the living room.

Fhuqkers is assuredly finished in splendid fashion.

[Linked Image]

It's on.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I think I'll dabble a Criterion C/L 1-8" Rifle Gas Hybrid contour next,just to see WTF. Brownells has 'em in stock...................

(Addendum:)

Just called BHW and they sent the parcel out the 10th...so it's GOTTA be here.

Somewhere?!?......................(grin)

You won't be sorry you did.

I really like mine.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 08/26/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
Tex how does the DD do for 5 shot groups? Not many are basing their accuracy on 20 shots.

Prior to last hunting season, the 65 Sierra shot the best in limited testing, but that was only about 1½" and I was only shooting 5 shot groups. The 77gr TMK has done a little better.

I considered recrowning it. While fiddling with a PTG piloted crown reamer, I found that the bore easily accepted a .219 pilot (which is the largest pilot in the kit). I don't have an easy way to slug the bore, to check groove dia, but it does make me wonder if the bore is a little oversized.

Midway happened to briefly have some Noveske 18" "medium contour" barrels, so I grabbed one of them - maybe the last one, they show no stock, now. There's a parts gun here which is presently a 6.8; I'll install the Noveske barrel and a matching BCG, and see what it will do.

The DD Mk12 runs flawlessly, and would be very durable with the nitrided barrel, but I haven't yet figured out how to get it below 1 MOA.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by TWR

Prior to last hunting season, the 65 Sierra shot the best in limited testing, but that was only about 1½" and I was only shooting 5 shot groups. The 77gr TMK has done a little better.

I considered recrowning it. While fiddling with a PTG piloted crown reamer, I found that the bore easily accepted a .219 pilot (which is the largest pilot in the kit). I don't have an easy way to slug the bore, to check groove dia, but it does make me wonder if the bore is a little oversized.

Midway happened to briefly have some Noveske 18" "medium contour" barrels, so I grabbed one of them - maybe the last one, they show no stock, now. There's a parts gun here which is presently a 6.8; I'll install the Noveske barrel and a matching BCG, and see what it will do.

The DD Mk12 runs flawlessly, and would be very durable with the nitrided barrel, but I haven't yet figured out how to get it below 1 MOA.

It's a DD.

You may never get it under 1 MOA.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My Daniel Ambush 5.56 shoots the black hills MK262 lights out. One ragged hole. I sold it, got a bHw custom upper that didn't hold a candle to it. Luckily, the guy who bought the DD sold it back to me.

I could dig a Noveske too!

Last edited by fats; 08/26/15.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL you SOLD a one hole gun. WHY???

At least its back and you can run the campfire fun matches... Love to see one hole gun group.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a Noveske 18" SPR barrel that shot well but to me is just too bulky. It's got an old school JP hand guard which adds a little weight. I can't decide if I want to keep it or sell it but it just sits in my safe since I got the Noveske 16" lighter weight and now the Larue. I just like light guns and I really haven't seen any benefit over 16" guns. But that's just my opinion.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Will see how it do,here directly and then try to kill sumptin' with it this afternoon................

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Starting fluid and a torch, looks like it could get lively...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I always tend to go overboard with anti-seize and Starting Fluid nips it nicely. I'm in the habit of purging gas tubes with it and verifying communication there,to keep the pony in front of the cart. The float tube was TIGHT,so I warmed the bitch up a smidge.

Whistled nearly 100rds through the Faux '12 and it is a PEACH. It blows my other BHW spout outta the water and it'll get flogged on more than a bunch. Weather has absolutely blown up with a Hurricane coming and that sorta put the damper on Venison. Visibility is nil,where I wanna go and there's gonna be multiple inches of rain.

Will be curious to stretch the Faux '12 out past the 1000yd line,to see how it do. Fodder built for my other BHW spout,left the Faux '12 with it's 75 Hornie HPBT's doing 2815fps. Sorta seen that coming and prepared in advance,by double laminating a buncha dope cards for some mainstays.

[Linked Image]

This barrel printed 2 Mils high and a halfa Mil to the left,of the sacked out OEM spout's zero and was 15fps faster with the same ammo,despite the 4" loss in barrel length. There should be a half dozen thread protectors hitting the porch any day and that'll purty much wrap the bitch up.

Loaded some 50gr V-Max in front of '335(3325fps),expressly for Venison. They print .4 Mil lower at the 100yd line(dead nuts on),but I've flung enough of 'em,that I'm thinkin' I'll manage to slip one inside an unsuspecting Buck.(grin)

Had a herd of Wolves in the timber above me yapping away and one of these days I'll stumble onto a herd,while schlepping a Krunchenticker.

Gonna swap gas blocks on the LW BHW 18" Middie and see if that don't sweeten the punch a smidge.................

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What gas block do you have and which are you going to? I was thinking muzzle device changes might impact precision as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gonna pitch the RRA OEM clamp on (pinch) style and opt a Lo-Profile S/S Troy...which woulda been here by now,were it not for the Hurricane and Monsoon.

[Linked Image]

RINK

I wish the Faux '12 spout was machined to accept taper pins,as I trust them most,as they are warmest/fuzziest.

Porch shot,in current conditions...seconds ago.

[Linked Image]

Nice day....................(grin)

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Loaded some 50gr V-Max in front of '335(3325fps),expressly for Venison. They print .4 Mil lower at the 100yd line(dead nuts on),but I've flung enough of 'em,that I'm thinkin' I'll manage to slip one inside an unsuspecting Buck.(grin)

Lot'sa folks say those varmint bullets are gonna splat on ribs...stunt shooter <grin>

Buddy brought a Rogers stock by the house last week, locks up tight, wished I bought a few for 25.00 a while back.

No Lever' with sub-75's?

Dave

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (06hunter59, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,474
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.