Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The rocks on the edge below the driver's side wheel are cut rather straight, wouldn't you say? The trees just to their left look like a cloned cut and paste type thing. Should have spent just a little more time on it.

Last edited by 5thShock; 06/23/15.
GB2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 5thShock
The rocks on the edge below the driver's side wheel are cut rather straight, wouldn't you say? The trees just to their left look like a cloned cut and paste type thing. Should have spent just a little more time on it.

Pretty certain that picture isn't Photoshopped, I believe that is Black Bear Pass in CO. A Google image search will return several similar pictures.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Somewhere I read that that photo was altered (pre photoshop).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I understand that this sign is at the start of it.
TELLURIDE ——>
CITY OF GOLD
12 MILES - 2 HOURS
YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE
CRAZY TO DRIVE THIS
ROAD - BUT IT HELPS

JEEPS ONLY

I don't think they were talking about Jeep PICKUPS, though. This pic is the road. Remember, though, that you only roll down to the next switchback.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
this is what I can find about this picture.

from THIS PAGE

[Linked Image] [/quote]

"So you might actually wonder if this photo right here is real or not, well based on facts it is as real as it gets… BUT don’t take our word for it, take THIS GUY'S word for it! We’re not kidding…

This road was officialy built by POWs during the “Guerra del Chaco” (The Chaco’s War) in the late 1930’s, and due to the Yungas’ extreme and difficult weather conditions, this people had to work through conditions ranging from cold, snow and rain to extreme heat and mist, this can be explained due to the altitude of this road, from 3600 masl to 4650 masl.

Since it’s quite challenging for anyone, prepared or not, to cross this part of the country only to get to the northern amazonic jungle of La Paz, the government built a new road that is safer and, well, completely functional! The Death Road is actually difficult for drivers due to its width, from 4 meters to 12 meters (approximately 13 to 39 feet) in a road that is built on the highest part of a cliff with a drop to a 800 meter imminent death. THAT IS PRESSURE!, but again take this guys word for it!

Nowadays, this road isn’t used for transportation as it used to be, it is mostly a touristic attraction for adventurers and bikers that prepare for different conditions during the most challenging bicycle races throughout the world. And there are tours for people that just love downhill bike rides, it is a nice workout and a nice way to spend a weekend, except if you suffer from a heart condition."

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reminds me of one of my first vehicles, a '79 Jeep wagoneer. I learned a few lessons, don't be timid when crossing mud or you'll get stuck. A 360 V8 coupled to a teenagers right foot is death on automatic transmissions and differentials. When the fuel gauge starts to get sticky and won't read less than 1/4 tank full, you best keep track of your range or you will be walking.

Last edited by 458 Lott; 06/23/15.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Reminds me of one of my first vehicles, a '79 Jeep wagoneer. I learned a few lessons, don't be timid when crossing mud or you'll get stuck. A 360 V8 coupled to a teenagers right foot is death on automatic transmissions and differentials. When the fuel gauge starts to get sticky and won't read less than 1/4 tank full, you best keep track of your range or you will be walking.

Had much of the same experiences...and will add that wagoneers dont float at all....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had 2 Wagoneers, 77 & 78. They had 2 serious deficiencies. One was vapor lock. The engine compartments were so tight that it got no air flow. The 77 had a 401 engine. It got so hot that the gas would boil in the float bowl. Switching to electric fuel pumps located back near the tank helped a bunch.
The other problem was the gas filler hole was barely higher than the gas tank and lots farther back. On a steep hill, gas would flow out the hole. Later models with a sealed system didn't have that problem.

Oh - I HATED that t-case locker in the glove box. What kind of an idiot would put it there where you had to crawl across the seat to lock it?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I understand that this sign is at the start of it.
TELLURIDE ——>
CITY OF GOLD
12 MILES - 2 HOURS
YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE
CRAZY TO DRIVE THIS
ROAD - BUT IT HELPS

JEEPS ONLY

I don't think they were talking about Jeep PICKUPS, though. This pic is the road. Remember, though, that you only roll down to the next switchback.

[Linked Image]

There was a time......when nothing longer than a K5 Blazer could it make over Black Bear. A couple of switchbacks were flanked by boulders on each side that no matter how much you jacked the SWB or longer truck, it couldn't squeeze around the corner.

Then the city of Ouray dynamited the boulders (yes, with FS/BLM permission) and made longer vehicles possible. With the bizillions of tourists and off-roaders over the past 30-some years, the road has been wore down enough it's not nearly as hairy as it used to be.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I would buy the 1st one in a minute. Love it.

Originally Posted by toad
every year or so Jeep makes a Gladiator/Pickup/Forward Control concept vehicle, but they never make it to production...

this one was diesel powered too

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AEV Makes something very close to it. They start at $39K (conversion, you supply the Wrangler)and can be as mild or wild as you want. You can even have a 6.4 Hemi in it if your pockets are deep enough smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
I drove this during college. It is either a 74 or 75, I can't remember. Photo taken about 78 or 79 IIRC. Liked a lot about it but with the 360 V8 and full time 4X4 it got about 6-8 mpg. Best I ever did was 11 mpg on a road trip.

[Linked Image]

Where was this picture taken?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan

I would buy the 1st one in a minute. Love it

well, you are in luck it seems, but like I say we've seen so many Jeep concepts not make it to production I wouldn't hold my breath.

2016 WRANGLER PICKUP

supposedly to be available with a 240 HP diesel that produces 420 ft lb torque.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a cj5 with a very hot 1971 401 in it. At the time the Chevy boys were proud of their 2.02" intake valves.....I ran 2.02" EXHAUST valves and giant intakes. That 401 made just a few ponies shy of 500 hp and was utterly impossible to drive.

I miss it today, all 6 mpg tops.

A built AMC 401 can be in the 500 plus club real easily.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by toad
...[Linked Image]

That is so slick!

I don't remember the drivetrain in this one (probably a hemi) but I'd love a crew cab version of this one... assuming I could fit my 6'6" frame behind the wheel. `

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
754 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.