Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Been a while fellas but I've been busy and taking some me time...

Hopefully this will be a moving 8 minutes of your life..
My wife's passion is the ponies. My passion is the camera. Together we share the love, reality, realness and power of the hills.If you know me you know the hills are where I am truly happy and a peace.
Visiting Hawks is a very personal, powerful and need for our souls. Because of the place it is and people who are part of it. The photo's you'll see hold more meaning than most of the ones I snapped on this years journey. I try to put my heart into every one... some may get it others may not.
Enjoy this, I made it for my wife. A quick simple edit and composition of some photos from this years trip.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for sharing. That was spectacular! Wife and I watched your video together and really enjoyed it.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Glad you liked it and enjoyed it!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Great video beautiful country. Thank you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ric - superbly done. Thanks for sharing both your talent and your trip.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
You are all very welcome!

Obviously many of the photos have some effects in post production done to them. I felt it adds to the dimensional qualities...

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Wow....

Thank you

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Absolutely beautiful Ric.
Know what you mean about the hills.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
You are all welcome. Thanks for all the kind words!

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
This is absolutely amazing! It reminds why I love AK and horses... so when you put the two together you can't go wrong.

I am in the early stages of planning my next trip but want to do some riding next time. Any recommendations???

Thanks for sharing!

AKBunny

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wonderful production! Hopefully will encourage campfire members to
use their animals more. One picture of ponying the trailing horse
in hand we might talk about. I have learned the hard way and
encourage other mountain trail folks to consider tying off to lead
horse to prevent wrecks. Two situations over the years were near disastrous to me leading with lead rope in hand. Hunting alone with two horses opening weekend riding up Idaho side of Hells Canyon Pack horse stopped to take a bite, stretched me out. When I had to let loose my favorite mare loaded to max rolled back wards head over heals over the trail. Second wreck was when attempting to train a gelding that was used to rear position to lead. With rope in hand to my pack mule, lead nimwit startled few strides to the right, trying to hold tight to rope pulled me left and down so fast I could hardly comprehend my ribs cracking into the ground. I admit I have been a slow learner but older and still enjoying hunting by myself with two stock animals encourage you to ALWAYS just tie off with brake away twine.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the kind words...!

While I get why you do what you do... I think that's a recipe for disaster. I've been in nearly every kind of wreck imaginable. Embarrassingly so... However, none were cause or complicated by the fact I hold the lead rope. If your twine doesn't break there are far greater risks to your and your saddle horse.

I run the hills with guys that have been doing it for 58+ years... none tie em off to the saddle pony... I'm inclined to follow their lead.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

The American Wilderness and The Horse.

Like a hand in a glove. Made for each other. As natural a love affair as ever was.

What a video! What a ride.

Loved every second. Nothing like time in the saddle.

Thanks for posting. Will watch again

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Glad you enjoyed it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Draftmule
Wonderful production! Hopefully will encourage campfire members to
use their animals more. One picture of ponying the trailing horse
in hand we might talk about. I have learned the hard way and
encourage other mountain trail folks to consider tying off to lead
horse to prevent wrecks. Two situations over the years were near disastrous to me leading with lead rope in hand. Hunting alone with two horses opening weekend riding up Idaho side of Hells Canyon Pack horse stopped to take a bite, stretched me out. When I had to let loose my favorite mare loaded to max rolled back wards head over heals over the trail. Second wreck was when attempting to train a gelding that was used to rear position to lead. With rope in hand to my pack mule, lead nimwit startled few strides to the right, trying to hold tight to rope pulled me left and down so fast I could hardly comprehend my ribs cracking into the ground. I admit I have been a slow learner but older and still enjoying hunting by myself with two stock animals encourage you to ALWAYS just tie off with brake away twine.

I hate when these horse threads turn into fights so that isn't my intent at all.
I have to agree with Cocadori here. The solution to the wrecks you are describing is to turn loose the lead rope sooner or to stop your riding horse. Kind of like roping, when you are taking your dallys your hand is a guide not a brake, let a little rope slide.

If a pack animal wants to have a fit I don't want to be connected. Sometimes I'll take a dally or two, but never tie off. I don't know one old hand at packing that would tell you to tie off.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the journey!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
RALPHIE~

I am all ears.
Please excuse my ignorance but I do not know what a "dally" is.
Would appreciate more on that. I realize the value and much
appreciate seasoned stockmans savvy on this subject! I found safety
in tieing off I guess by my unique situation. I often go in steep
rocky country with two mules and a long recurve bow in hand. Just have had zero incidents tieing off. I did have to go through much to find the
proper cord that was a bit stout but will break when needed. Thanks!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Outside of tying off the pack animals to each other with 1/4 inch manila, I have never known a packer to tie off to the animal they were riding. A single wrap around the horn and tuck the end under the knee, but never tied off.
How are you tying off? To a breakaway behind the cantle or on the horn, if you don't mind my asking of course. It might put minds at ease;)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We just use bailing twine for our breakaways.

Dallies are the wraps you take around your saddle horn when you rope something. It really doesn't relate to leading a pack mule except that in neither case can you expect your hand to stop much.

Trying to ride and lead a pack string and pack a bow could be a handful. I don't pack a bow but often try and eat lunch while leading the mules. I'd find another solution for packing the bow. Then get a nice long lead rope for your lead pack. That way you can hold it in the middle of its length. If something pulls back you can let some rope slide and still not lose the rope.

Also make sure your riding horse will stop readily. And be ready to stop your riding horse and maintain control of your lead rope.

Even with twine as breakaways I've seen falling or stubborn mules pull the one in front of it down. If we are going into a particularly bad spot we'll make sure are breakaways aren't very stout. I would not want my riding horse connected to the mules in any way other than like what Byron said.

Everyone is going to have wrecks you just want to minimize the risk of them and especially the risk that when they happen you or your animals will get hurt.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Draftmule-

A dally is a wrap(s) of the lead rope on the saddle horn. Same thing you will see ropers do with a lariat.

I don't tie the first pack horse to my lead horse. I wrap the lead rope. Depending on the saddle I'm using determines how many loops I use. If the horn is leather wrapped, I usually use 2 wraps as the horn is smooth enough for he rope to slip if needed. Another saddle has rubber horn wraps on it and I'll only put one wrap of the lead rope as there is a lot more friction, but will slip is needed.

Never, ever 'hard dally' - tie the lead rope to the horn!

My second pack horse will be tied to the pack saddle with a breakaway rig adn quick release.

More then two pack horses will get a guy into a jackpot on most of our trails.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A bunch of us typing at the same time!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I love this and Ralphie's packing threads! Been around horses all of my life but just now starting to get into packing. Definitely brings two worlds together.

Like the looks of the big roan horse.

Gotta agree I'd never be tied hard and fast to a pack string. Everything on in those packs is replaceable. You are not. I know some tied hard and fast brush Cowboys and I don't think any of them would gamble on being stuck to a pack string on a steep trail!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What a well done presentation of friends, horses, and magnificent country!!

Thanks for a most restful watch.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BYRON ~
Since I have had a couple of incidents with rope in hand; lately
I have tied of aprox 6' piece of Med cord to back of saddle.
BUT attached to end is light piece of Jute that breaks easy. I do
find my self guiding my single pack mule with the cord a lot
but in some situations let it trail. My pack mule never goes any
where if the beast hangs up and the jute breaks. I appreciate your
Ralphies,Ironbender and NMs suggestions. Got to pack in hay in a
couple days and will try all these seasoned ideas. Thank you!

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Iron bender! Is that you Walt?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Huh?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.