Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I've had enough...34 years working for the Federal Govt. I was looking for the right day. It hit me like a ton of bricks. My last day will be October 2nd and I'll be 1500 miles away from my office, about 11,000 feet higher in elevation from my home state of GA and I'll be listening to bugles.

I can't wait!

Can't believe I'm retiring under this current administration, but it is what it is...moving on to elk bugles, and the arrival of our first grandchild. Life is good!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Congrats!

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I have already done the retirement thing. I recommend it highly.

Congratulations on making it to retirement.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I finally had enough of the feds, also, and retired in 05. I have never regretted it for a minute. Last year, I spent the better part of a month in Wyoming hunting elk. Going out the end of this month for antelope and maybe an early cow. If I don't get the cow, then I will go back later-because I can!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Gosh, this is sounding better every day. Wake up every morning now with a silly grin on my face...hurry up October!

I'm really trying to put in an honest days work, but it's getting harder each successive day. I sure hope the taxpayers don't get too sore about it.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats and good luck.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yipee for you.

I maybe have to do four more years to get my 20 in with them. WIsh I could go next year when I'm 62 but I'll need the extra from making a full 20. SUre glad your last day will be in the mountains. Sounds like you've got some vacation time banked to use before you leave. Smart guy! I'm hoping to do the same.

Good luck on your elk hunt and enjoy the retirement.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I retired 2 years ago but mine was Aug 1. That gave me time to practice shooting, get in shape, scout, and give my wife time to be ready for me to be gone hunting for a LONG time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Congrats I'm definitely Jealous!

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations. Enjoy.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
GD57-
Congrats! I am just starting my 2nd week of retirement after 11 years teaching HS science and 26 plus years of working for the State of AZ...unfortunately no luck in any of the draws this year.
I am very jealous of your retirement start. laugh
Good luck...hope you bring home a nice one!
Joe

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Good deal. I retired June 1 this year and will be chasing elk in Colorado in the fall as well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good timing!
Hope you start your retirement off with a BANG, flop!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Congratulations! Had I known retirement was going to be this much fun I would Have done it waaay sooner!
Cheers

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats. I have a couple years to go but with my current job I consider myself semi-retired. I work 9 hours x 9 days, get the 10th off, so 3 day weekends every other week. Also get to work from home one day a week so out of 10 days I go to the office only 7.

To me 'retirement' just means some sort of self-employment, probably fixing up houses and selling them. Probably work harder than I do now.

I am looking forward to additional hunting though - pigs, maybe moose and caribou in Alaska and out-of-state elk. Also more muzzleloader hunting here in Colorado, something I haven't done for a few years and never more than a weekend hunt.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a federal government employee with an eye toward retirement myself. While there are certainly some benefits to working for the federal government, it can be utterly maddening too. The folks who care and strive for excellence are met with more obstacles than you can imagine. It is not a part of my constitution to not give a [bleep], but my professional life is so much better when I can simply stop caring. The government manages for mediocrity at best.

Congrats to the OP and everyone else who has endured the federal crap for enough years to retire. POst pics of your hunts so I can live through you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a little jealous. Hope your retirement and hunting go well.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Congrats on the retirement, I retired 18 months ago at the age of 49. Just wait and see how busy your life is going to become. I will again be spending 4 weeks in Idaho this fall.

Good luck and stay healthy...

Don't gobble at me
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Godogs57, you're gonna love retirement. My recommendation is don't make any huge life changes for the first year. Just enjoy. I've been retired so long I can't even spell the W word.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
People I've worked with who retired came back a year or two later to visit looking 10 years younger and laughing ... not looking like they just spent 20 minutes under a lawnmower like when they left. This retirement thing seems to be a blessing. I'm jealous. I'll hit the 30 year mark in 3 years but I don't see being able to afford to retire 'til I reach social security age which is about 17 years from now. Oh well ... work is a nice warm dry place to spend the winter.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,901
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.