24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, seriously, how long does it take to do the turn around and ship the rifles once they arrive at your store?

The anticipation is making me feel like a 4 year old at Christmas... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B6

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
We ship the rifles in the order in which they are received -- meaning the rifles are allocated based off the order we received the order from you guys. Unfortunately, your rifle wasn't one of the first two ordered. Eric will contact you as soon as yours hits the door!

We ship as soon as we have all of your info and the gun. Sometimes that means the same day we receive the rifle, sometimes the next day. The only way its any longer is if we're awaiting payment or a FFL.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Sent Eric my FFL and final payment. I must admit I'm not so patiently awaiting notification of shipment. Though I don't know what I'm going to do when the rifle arrives, I shattered my ankle and am not mobile enough to get to the range yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got the tracking number for my rifle, should be here next Tuesday or thereabouts. Got some NIB Talley's and a good FXII 6x36 ready to go, plus an assortment of bullets and powder on the shelf. Time to get it on! grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Any news on the RH rifles? I'm getting a little antsy waiting around for an update.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Picked up my LH .243 yesterday from the dealer’s. Only had time to mount a scope and play with it a bit, haven’t even stripped and degreased the bolt yet but wanted to give my very first impressions.

My first impression is that this is a damn nice rifle. If I get off my butt I may post a longer review but everything on this rifle screams quality in a fully functional, well thought out hunting weapon. From the shape of the stock to the fit and finish of the bolt, action and rifle overall this is obviously a well made firearm. We’ll see how it shoots this weekend but so far I like it.

I’ve owned a lot of rifles in my time and examined a lot more from new production to the finest pre-war craftsman's work. Model 700’s, Model 77’s and a slew of other modern production rifles sell these days for near $700 to upwards of $800. They say you get what you pay for and a quick comparison of this rifle to those shows that for a production item this rifle is worth every penny of the $1076 cost. In fact I’d say it was a bargain at that price. I’ve had custom rifles put together for several hundred dollars more that did not match this Montana in terms of overall fit and finish and just the overall impression of quality.

I am pleased. grin

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi Jim,

If you don't mind answering, how does the rifle feed? Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had it about a week now to discover the warts and feeding apparently is one of them. I haven't worked enough to see all the why's and wherefore's but some rounds will hang up on the C ring and not chamber. This happens for rounds coming up from the left or right. Hornady 100 gr. SP do so when seated .020" off the lands, but 100 gr. BTSP which are seated only .010" further out do not hang up. Sierra 85 BTHP will hang up but Hornady 87 V-MAX bullets do not. And not all examples of each bullet mentioned hang up all the time.

The steep angle from the magazine to the chamber seems to be part of the problem, it will not feed empty cases no way no how. I think maybe opening the feed rails just a few ten thousandths up front would allow the nose to rise higher or the magazine to release the case before hitting the barrel but again, I haven't worked with it enough to really pin down the cause.

Accuracy wise it shows real potential. I didn't break in the barrel, just starting shooting. I put 54 rounds through it Sunday morning in mostly 4 shot groups. The first 8 shots were nothing to brag about, fairly wide groups of 2" or so. But the more I shot the more it started to settle down and it began putting 4 shot groups of 2 and 2 or 3 and 1, most times the three would be well under an inch and approaching 1/2". I worked up a pressure series of different powder charges under the Hornady 100 SP, BTSP, 87 V-MAX and 105 A-MAX and the Sierra 85 BTHP, and they all showed that double grouping or 3 and 1 tendency. This tells me to seat the bullets deeper which I will try this weekend.

I've seen examples of genuine Mausers and other rifles, both CRF and push feed, that had feeding or extraction problems. In some rifles the problems were insurmountable but others just needed a little tweaking or finding the overall lengths they liked.

The fact that this rifle won't feed everything perfectly was a bit of a let down but certainly not enough to discard the rifle out of hand or give up on it any time soon.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The fact that this rifle won't feed everything perfectly was a bit of a let down but certainly not enough to discard the rifle out of hand or give up on it any time soon.

That is extremely concerning. Wouldn't that be checked during the normal function check at the factory?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'd think so but a lot of rifles will feed well with one nose shape or OAL and not with another. Gunsmiths get good bucks to make sure famous name brand rifles will feed everything reliably. Many folks think nothing of buying a top end firearm and then sending it off to someone for "tweaking". Part of D'Arcy Echols' work on Model 70's is adjusting the magazine box and feed rail geometry so his rifles will feed everything without fail.

I've seen so many people expect perfection in a rifle or handgun and then when they find one flaw their undying love for their new toy turns into instant total rejection.

True perfection in every category is not that easy to find in any manufactured good so that's why I say I'm not too worried about it just now. Learning a rifle's personality is just part of the process. The rifle has too many other good points right out of the box not to give it a chance to find what it likes and doesn't like, and then just feed it what it likes.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just more random thoughts on the subject while I finish my coffee.

- Got a LH Kimber of OR M84 .223. If you put four rounds in the magazine it feeds fine, but if you put that fifth round in it will pop out and smokestack every time. But it is just about the most accurate dang rifle I've ever owned, it will easily group in there with a heavy varmint barreled .223. It's lightweight, great trigger, great accuracy and it looks great but my five shooter is functionally a four shooter. Oh, well.

- Got a Yugo Mauser straight out of the factory. Genuine M98 design, rough and ready battle rifle shooting the 8x57 rounds it was originally made for. If you don't pull the bolt back smartly on the last round it will just drop the empty case back onto the follower.

- Unaltered 1915 Swedish Model 96 does the same thing. Unless you smartly eject the last round it will just fall back on the follower or at best dribble out to the side. But it's as accurate as a modern bolt action, it is a jewel of true old world craftsmanship with everything polished and hand fitted, so I live with its idiosyncrasy and just work the bolt smartly for each round. No biggie.

- My Ruger American .22-250 will jam the 2nd and 3rd rounds every single time if you feed them slowly. Just a coincidence of the shorter round in a magazine made for .243 and .308 rounds. I could cuss the rifle, smash the barrel against a tree and gnash my teeth at my misfortune, or just remember to feed the rounds quickly in which case they never fail to feed. I prefer the latter route.

Could name several other examples but y'all get the idea. Nothing wrong with fixing what ails a rifle or tweaking it where needed, but I don't see any reason to dispose of a rifle just because it isn't perfect in every possible way. And those rifles that are perfect get an honored place since I know that they aren't as ubiquitous as we'd like.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Any update on when the right handed rifles are going to ship? What part is MRC waiting on? Sorry to be such a PITA, but Jim has me all jealous! cry eek

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's the 3rd group by shaping up to be?

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
The left hand rifles were in bedding on Monday. The right hand rifles were awaiting a part, then off to bedding. It won't be long.

So any idea on when the RH rifles will be shipping the? It's been over a month and a half since the last update on the RH rifles. What part were they waiting on anyway?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Did all the right-hand rifles sell?

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Right hand rifles started shipping! I just got an email notification...

We'll be contacting you as soon as they hit the door.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Finally!!! I can't wait to hit the range!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have definite interest as well for LH. I am not interested in .243 but perhaps a non-magnum 7mm. -- David.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dai_sca
I have definite interest as well for LH. I am not interested in .243 but perhaps a non-magnum 7mm. -- David.

+1...I wouldn't complain about a LH .308 either.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Drove down to SAS's shop today and picked up my MRC .243. Also picked up some brass and primers. Hope to get a scope mounted and do some load development later this week.

Totally surprised at the number of people at Whitaker's this morning. I got there about 25 to 30 minutes after they opened. And both parking lots were already FULL! On a Tuesday! Fortunately with the recent remodel/expansion, there was still plenty of room to move around inside. But, just totally surprised at the number of people. And not just tire kickers. Appeared to be plenty of product going out the door...

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 22250rem, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.