Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
All,

We're ready to announce the second group buy on the Montana Rifle Company/Whittaker Guns exclusive. I didn't go far out of the norm this time to keep the cost down. The only custom option is the 8" twist. This rifle will only be offered to members of 24hourcampfire. If they all don't sell, I stick the remainder on the shelf at the shop. The specs on the rifle are below.

- Montana Rifle Company Extreme X2 (stainless/synthetic)
- 243 Winchester
- 22" barrel, #2 MRC Contour
- 1 in 8" twist (stamped on barrel)
- MRC X2 standard gray stock
- 20 right hand rifles, 5 left hand rifles
- $1075.99 (plus shipping to your FFL)

If you'd like to get in on the buy, please send an email to [email protected]
Please include:

- MRC Exclusive in the subject line.
- Your full name and screen name on here.
- Your contact info including your phone number
- Your preferred method of deposit payment

Someone (Eric more than likely) will contact you to process the order ASAP (if during business hours). A 15% non-refundable deposit is required to hold your order. Methods of payment are credit card, personal check, certified check or money order. A 3% fee will be added for all credit card transactions. The price listed above is at a cash (or check) discount. Balance will be due in full once the rifles are ready to ship -- you can even pay over time while waiting if you'd like. You will be charged exact shipping to your locale, not an inflated estimate. US only at this time.

Lead time on this rifle will be faster than the first batch. Jeff informed me they're already putting barrels on the actions. We delayed the announcement to allow them to catch up and expedite your orders. Before shipping, we will require a signed copy from your receiving FFL.

This buy will be limited to 25 rifles. The next (and different) batch of exclusives will be announced after I receive shipping confirmation on these.

Please keep questions directed to my email address above. It gets a tad confusing switching between email and PM's during the process. IF WANTING IN IMMEDIATELY ON THE BUY, PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS ABOVE. I can't always answer PM's and will only use the email as a time stamp.

Thanks in advance and I'll update this post as needed!

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 08/12/15.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hum?

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
This is what the rifle will look like...

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds like a super buy....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, you got my interest.

What are the specs for a #2 contour? I can't seem to find a contour chart on the web.

OR, as a minimum do you know the OD at the muzzle for the #2?

According to the MRC website the weight of their regular Extreme X2 in .243 is 6 lbs. 14 oz. Sounds like this one is the basic X2 model with the only difference being twist rate so I imagine that's the nominal weight. Add Talleys and a lighter scope and you're looking at 7 lbs, 9 to 12 oz unloaded.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
That is the weight.

And I have no idea what the OD is at the muzzle, but I'll get an answer.

For clarity, the #2 contour is their standard offering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

I need a new rifle like I need another orifice in the cranium, but a SA SS left hander in .243 is some right smelly bait to be dangling in front of me... wink

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Jeff just emailed me. The OD at the muzzle is .600".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, that's the same OD as a Winchester M70 LT Sporter at 24".

It's a good size IME and makes for a good balance, particularly with the lighter overall weight of the X2 rifle.

For those familiar with Remingtons, their standard sporter contour is .650 or .660 at the muzzle while their mountain rifle contour is .550. I had a LH Winchester .30-06 rebarreled with a 22" barrel in my patent pending "Foothills contour" which is a Remington contour shape but .600" at the muzzle; it has a great balance.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hate this forum - in a good kind of way. smile

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Thanks, that's the same OD as a Winchester M70 LT Sporter at 24".

It's a good size IME and makes for a good balance, particularly with the lighter overall weight of the X2 rifle.

For those familiar with Remingtons, their standard sporter contour is .650 or .660 at the muzzle while their mountain rifle contour is .550. I had a LH Winchester .30-06 rebarreled with a 22" barrel in my patent pending "Foothills contour" which is a Remington contour shape but .600" at the muzzle; it has a great balance.

You mean a KS contour, it already exists.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

For those not familiar with the relationship between Remington and most aftermarket contours, a Remington sporter with a .65" muzzle at 24" length will be a good bit lighter at the shank and steep taper end of the barrel than a typical aftermarket barrel with similar muzzle dimensions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What?! Those bastards, they stole the idea from me!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, Remingtons taper steeply to a point about 13" ahead of the receiver and then are a straight tube to the muzzle. They have very little actual straight shank. A better example would be something like a Ruger Hawkeye which runs around .575" with a more standard shaped contour.

But the point being that a #2 contour like the MRC makes for a good balance on a sporter weight rifle, especially with a 22" length.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
What is delivery time for payment planning purposes?

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Mid/late September, early October.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And the 260s should be before that?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
260's are shipping now. the first one came in today. Several more are in transit.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Damn It! I was hoping the .243 would wait until #3.

I'm in for a RH, email sent. While more money than I want to spend right now it'll save me money in the long run. Guess I'm going to have to sell some stuff.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
SAS - what other chamberings/twists are being considered for future exclusives? I realize it's not a hard and fast commitment, just would help us plan which groups buys to participate in.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I heard the 43 Egyptian is in the front of the line for the 3rd run.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by cast10K
SAS - what other chamberings/twists are being considered for future exclusives? I realize it's not a hard and fast commitment, just would help us plan which groups buys to participate in.

Times 2. I'm all set on the smaller chamberings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You couldn't have baited this hook any better for me. Email just sent to reserve one of the left handers.

If it gets here in late September or early October that'll be just in time for my birthday so - Happy birthday to me!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll get another email sent your way. Right hand for me.

Bb

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Just sent e-mail, I'll take a RH.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cast10K

Heard a SS/Walnut MRC1999 in 30-06 with 23" tube was next inline .... Think I heard of a $600 price tag too :P

I have a SS MRC 1999 with walnut stock and a 20" 7-08 tube made up for when I returned to PA ... went to WA instead.

Dreamin' ..... even @ $1080, that'd be a nice price. Too much for me, but I'd sell something or two for that.

Last edited by avagadro; 08/14/15.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in on this deal, like they did with the .260 Rem. A property twisted .243 gives nothing up to the .260 at any range as far as deer and smaller game is concerned. Anybody who felt they missed out on the last buy, should really look hard at this one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me too but it's maybe a little less unique though a fair bit cheaper.

Last edited by exbiologist; 08/16/15.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I went more affordable for a reason. I can't tell you how many emails and PM's I've had for a fast twist 243.

This one is also a good mix for a dual purpose rifle. Want to shoot 105VLD's and be able to reach the lands within mag box confines? This one will do it. Want a low recoiling steel busting rig and an excellent whitetail rifle? This one is it.

The first two rifles were built for the guy who wanted to shoot one rifle a bunch. You can play with long range steel, hunt a variety of game and keep recoil in check. In my opinion, the 243 (along with other 6mm's) with a fast twist gets you the most for the least.

These should be in hand well before deer season starts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How light a bullet will that twist stabilize, Darrik?

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Goodness, these are calling my name I just don't know if I can swing one right now.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It's a lot less unique --a whole $184.00 less ?-- so much for a set of 4.
It's just another MRC. This one's not for me.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A fluted barrel and different color stock would have been nice. I still jumped on it because I missed out on the first one and was in the market for a reasonably priced factory small caliber deer rifle. This one is properly twisted for a 105 Berger Hunting VLD, the mag box is longer than most, and it is CRF. It will go off for cerakote the day it arrives.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984

55 grain is as light as they make 6mm bullets to my knowledge without going the custom route. I'm sure they'll shoot out of an 8" twist as well as a slower one. I'd rather spin a bullet faster than it needs to be, than too slow.

Originally Posted by Stanmt

Flutes are nice to look at, but I'd have rather had a FWT barrel than the #2. It has the 8" twist and that's what really matters to me. I can change the color of stock anytime I want, if I needed/wanted to. The .260 is a nice looking rifle, and it looks a lot like a M70 EW which isn't all that unique. Plus this rifle should go under 7lbs which seemed to be important to others on the .260 thread.

I guess you just can't make everyone happy.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984

I've slung plenty of 55gr BT's from a 1-8"

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

They were never going to be a "matched set". They'll all be something that isn't offered in their standard production rifle.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

The fast twist makes it more unique than any other 243 on the market, imo. It's too bad the stock isn't purdy enough for you.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
The regular Extreme X2 243 already comes with a 9 twist. I'm sure the 8 twist is nice to have, but 9 twist 243s have sent a lot of 105 VLDs and Amaxs downrange in a stable manner. If the factory twist would have been 1-10", the group buy 243 would really have an advantage. Not so much when going from 9 to 8.

Something like an 8 twist 22-250 would have been a significant difference over factory options, and would really fill a niche.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from these rifles.....if I were in the market for a 243, one of these group buy 8 twists would be headed my way. I appreciate Darrik and Whittaker Guns for doing these runs, and getting manufacturers to think about building things the right way (i.e. quick twist).

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm not going to argue that people haven't been shooting the 105 VLD bullets in a 9 twist barrel. However, all the sciences tells us they do better in a 8 twist barrel. If you get the stability factor to 1.5 or better you maximize the BC of the bullet, or so the guys with more math brains than I say.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've seen more than a few 105's hit the target sideways from 1-9" twist at sea level.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
These group buys are hard to appease the majority,

I hesitated on the first buy, still not sure why,didn't really care for the caliber and thinking next time around things might be interesting,

and I'm again hesitant on the 2nd buy. again, hesitant on the caliber,

What are you after? Lightweight varmint rig?

General purpose Big game? Target? weight? portability?

I'd love a .308 lefty, a general all around big Game rig, also fun at the range, hopefully topped out at 7.5#, and common sense tells me I'd be way ahead of the game if I just ordered solo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fast twist 243 is very interesting to me. Have to kick this one around some, but thinking I'll buy one of the left handed ones. Be great for long range deer and antelope in my area, plus I like the 243 for introducing new shooters to the sport.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't speak to everybody's wants but this one happened to hit a lot of things I like.

- Getting to be a recoil wimp in the autumn of my years so a .243 has a lot of appeal for volume shooting.
- I'm not a fast twist fanatic but no reason not to like 1:8.
- They're offering a left handed, stainless steel short action mostly Model 70, and it's available now. Winchester ain't making any left handers, they sure as hell ain't makin'em in stainless steel and they sure as hell ain't makin' any LH, SS short actions.
- I've examined a couple of MRC rifles at Cabela's and liked what I saw.
- It's a nice sporter configuration and not too heavy like my LH Model 70's. I don't like bench shooting, prefer to shoot from field positions and can't warm up to 9+ pound precision rifles. I like the way a well balanced sporter configuration feels in the hand and this one looks like it ought to be really nice in that regard.
- Looks like a bit of a break over the normal street price which is kind of moot anyway since I haven't seen a whole lot of LH Extreme X2's for sale anywhere at any price. And it looks like these will be available in a fairly short time.
- By all accounts Whittakers is/was a Mom and Pop store that done good, Darrick is trying to help folks and get us something out of the ordinary and I appreciate that and am willing to support those efforts.

Each of us only has to please ourselves (I please myself several times each day wink ) so if someone else doesn't like this one that's cool. I do like it and AFAIK am #1 on the left hander's list when they come in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like another nice rifle.

243 Win. is great.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
22-250AI or standard. 8t. Adl or alloy metal. Fwt or mountain contour. Could this be close to 6#?

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would jump all over a 6.5 saum 4s with a #3 fluted barrel...

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I am a huge .243 fan. Still contemplating this group buy. Just started dialing in the LH MRC 6.5x55 I special ordered to mimic the .260 group buy. Really digging the 6.5. Decisions, decisions...

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
There are three left hand rifles left and several right hand rifles. Judging from the PM's and emails I received, I wouldn't have guessed this buy would last a day.

Live and learn I guess?

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I wonder how many more 260s would have sold? They did sell out rather fast. However, this rifle sounds like it will be a very nice rig as well.

Thanks for putting these group buys together, it is appreciated.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I was one of the many who sent emails to Darrik asking for this rifle. I was in the process of building an 8 twist .243 when the .260 group buy was offered. I saw what Darrick was doing as a way to get what I wanted cheaper in the long run.

Just my M700 donor and B&C mountain rifle stock cost over $600. A quality barrel and install with squaring of the action was going to push me over the $1200 price pretty easily. Throw in a new trigger, parts to remove the j-lock, flute the bolt, and other cosmetic things I wanted to do in the long run would have added even more expense.

Yeah this rifles going to come in heavier than I envisioned, but not by much. I shouldn't break 8 lbs all up, but if I do it won't be by much. All in all I got some thing I wanted with this rifle I wasn't going to have with the M700 I was going to build and vice versa.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There's a big difference between the .260 group buy and the .243 buy..... that difference is commonality. No one makes a properly twisted, stainless sporter .260..... well, almost nobody. On the other hand.... I can walk into any local enabler and grab a stainless 700 in .243 that'll shoot 105s and let me fit'em in the magazine. Slap a Ti stock on it and you're the same basic profile/weight as the MRC. It ain't CRF.... but I've yet to be charged by a angry muley or been mauled by a poorly hit coyote.

I dig these buys, Derrik has certainly taken the bull by the horns and delivered some really cool rifles where options were previously limited. It's nice to see a business take time to address the desires of a small (yet vocal) community. I'd have bought one of the .260s if I didn't already have 6.5s coming out the ears.... and when (faith) one rolls out in .284 I'll be first on the list. I also can't wait for the T3 Sweedes to get here.... I've already got brass prepped....

Thanks for putting this together SAS.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Elevation may have something to do with your stability.

I'm at about 500' -- give or take a few. I've tried several Remington and Ruger rifles in 243. Things look good in the summer, then go to Hell in the winter. Most of my shooting at distance is after the crops come out and through the winter months.

I've yet to find a factory 9 or 9 1/4 twist that will stabilize 105's regularly where and when I shoot. I know they may exist and perform better in other areas, but I've yet to find Nirvana with the factory twist in 10-12 samples. They've all keyholed at some point.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am kinda high here in CO.... laffin'.

Don't get me wrong... I get the appeal of the 1:8"... and it really is the right way to twist most everything sub-7mm. Just saying with .243s there's a veritable cornucopia of other rifle options, though there are none that are capable of surely stabilizing ALL the 105s (new Ruger is the gamer's exception). With the .260 there really wasn't another player in the game....

PS... I bet a 1:8 .243 running 55 NBTs at 4000fps (spinning 360,000 RPM) would fling goo for miles....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Agreed.

As I noted earlier, a "gap filler" like an 8 twist 22-250 would probably sell better than a 1" faster twisted 243 over factory, which really only becomes necessary for guys at low elevation shooting 105 grain match bullets in cold conditions.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What it tells me is that it's 'marginally' stable for a bunch of other folks, they just don't know it and it ain't a good place to be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

... which really only becomes necessary for guys at low elevation shooting 105 grain match bullets in cold conditions.

On Tuesday! smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
1/8 is perfect regardless of temp, elevation, velocity, etc. 1/9.25 is "usually" good if the conditions are right and you're launching a 105 at max speed...you're on the bubble at 105's launched fast....nothing heavier and speed is essential. Extra mag box length is a plus, common mag box length is "hopefully" good.

If you're wanting to send 105(+)'s this is a great standard weight, stainless/synthetic, turnkey platform for it. Short wait, low price, great group buy.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ndhunterman

For sure. 8 twist 6.5 SAUM throated for the 127 LRX @ 0.050" jump with another 0.050" to chase and I'm IN.

RLTW
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pm me please if they ever do this gig in .375 H&H

a bolt hanging off the left hand side and I'm in

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 08/20/15.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
For those of you across the Medicine Line that may want in on the buys, it's now doable! Jeff hooked me up with an exporter.

The group buys are now open for Canadian residents!!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Kinda funny, everyone was complaining about LAW and having a 9 twist and how no one will ever buy them. Well here's an 8 twist for even cheaper and yet all the "experts" aren't in line to buy one...hmmmmmmm

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You really think 25 would sell?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If I had not just purchased one of the first run 260 rifles, I would look strongly at this one, but the .243 is too close to what I just purchased

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Shortactionsmoker,

Whats the chance of them cutting one to 243 ai ?

Billy

Turn em loose ...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Chaser
Shortactionsmoker,

Billy

If he lets you do it, then the kid down the street is gonna want to do it - where's it gonna end?

David

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Maybe never? He just sells more rifles!
Fingers crossed…

Billy

Turn em loose ...
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice rifle!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I also can't wait for the T3 Sweedes to get here.... I've already got brass prepped....

Thanks for putting this together SAS.....

Whittaker already has the T3 Swedes on the shelf. Darrick just hooked me up with a Hunter.

SD

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The T3 Lite Fluted Sweedes..... I can do blued.... but wood ain't no good.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Chaser
Shortactionsmoker,

Billy

Hope they won't do that, cuz I might have to get one.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Ill take one!!

Billy

Turn em loose ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are they going to AI a few...?

Last edited by ndhunterman; 08/24/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
No. Standard 243...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
No. Standard 243...

Whew....

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I want one, but having just made two long trips West in the past two weeks, burying my father and a week later, my MIL, I'm tapped out for discretionary spending.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Update...

There are two left hand rifles still available.
There are four right hand rifles still available.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Well that's good news! I can't wait to see how the first groups .260's shoot. I won't mess with my .243 until I'm done with elk season.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I talked to Matt in Customer Service about a 1-8 22-250 over a month ago but have not heard anything back from him. Sure was hot about one but cooling down the longer it goes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It seems like there is still a demand for the 260. Why not do another group buy, minus the flutes, keep the gray stock, 24" barrel 1:8 twist?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Update...

There are two one left hand rifles still available.
There are four right hand rifles still available.

Fixed it for you... Email inbound... grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It seems like there is still a demand for the 260. Why not do another group buy, minus the flutes, keep the gray stock, 24" barrel 1:8 twist?

^^^^^^^^ THIS!

Roy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, are these ready yet?

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet....?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I vote for some sort of fluted .308 with painted stock like the .260 next.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Maybe 21" barrel.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I want the next run to be chambered for a 43 Egyptian necked down to 29 caliber. Twisted 1 turn in 1", so I can run 600 grain VLDs.

I'll put an 80mm objective, 45mm tube scope on it, because what's on top doesn't have any effect on balance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any decisions on #3 ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RTSJ

^^^^^^^^ THIS!
Roy

Only cheaper: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10381840/For_Sale:_Brand_New_Montana_Ri#Post10381840

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
260's are shipping now. the first one came in today. Several more are in transit.
SAS, I bought one of the Montana's in .260 rem at least a
year ago and I have really enjoyed this nice little rifle
Heck I have bought enough guns that Chris should roll out
the red carpet for me...lol

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

How is delivery looking?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whitebread

How is delivery looking?

Getting antsy myself to hear how they're coming along. Got the scope and a new set of Talleys on deck, plus plenty of brass and a couple boxes of Hornady 105 A-Max bullets. Scored 16 pounds of H4350 last month so I'm ready to go.

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet....?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Anyone interested in a EGW rail for their Montana rifle? 0 MOA, black oxide and unused in original packaging. part number 47400
$25 shipped (lower 48 only)
thanks, Jim

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
SAS - Is this group buy filled?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The original ETA was mid/late September, early October. We're getting beyond early October so I was wondering if you have any updated ETA on these?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The original ETA was mid/late September, early October. We're getting beyond early October so I was wondering if you have any updated ETA on these?

Exactly. Deer season opens here on Saturday...so much for using a 243 this year.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The left hand rifles were in bedding on Monday. The right hand rifles were awaiting a part, then off to bedding. It won't be long.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm glad to see they have their priorities straight and are doing the left hand rifles first. wink

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
May I suggest an 8" twist 7-08 with a walnut stock next?

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
A couple of left hander's just hit the door!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great news! Hope they and the door are doing well... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, seriously, how long does it take to do the turn around and ship the rifles once they arrive at your store?

The anticipation is making me feel like a 4 year old at Christmas... wink

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
We ship the rifles in the order in which they are received -- meaning the rifles are allocated based off the order we received the order from you guys. Unfortunately, your rifle wasn't one of the first two ordered. Eric will contact you as soon as yours hits the door!

We ship as soon as we have all of your info and the gun. Sometimes that means the same day we receive the rifle, sometimes the next day. The only way its any longer is if we're awaiting payment or a FFL.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Sent Eric my FFL and final payment. I must admit I'm not so patiently awaiting notification of shipment. Though I don't know what I'm going to do when the rifle arrives, I shattered my ankle and am not mobile enough to get to the range yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got the tracking number for my rifle, should be here next Tuesday or thereabouts. Got some NIB Talley's and a good FXII 6x36 ready to go, plus an assortment of bullets and powder on the shelf. Time to get it on! grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Any news on the RH rifles? I'm getting a little antsy waiting around for an update.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Picked up my LH .243 yesterday from the dealer’s. Only had time to mount a scope and play with it a bit, haven’t even stripped and degreased the bolt yet but wanted to give my very first impressions.

My first impression is that this is a damn nice rifle. If I get off my butt I may post a longer review but everything on this rifle screams quality in a fully functional, well thought out hunting weapon. From the shape of the stock to the fit and finish of the bolt, action and rifle overall this is obviously a well made firearm. We’ll see how it shoots this weekend but so far I like it.

I’ve owned a lot of rifles in my time and examined a lot more from new production to the finest pre-war craftsman's work. Model 700’s, Model 77’s and a slew of other modern production rifles sell these days for near $700 to upwards of $800. They say you get what you pay for and a quick comparison of this rifle to those shows that for a production item this rifle is worth every penny of the $1076 cost. In fact I’d say it was a bargain at that price. I’ve had custom rifles put together for several hundred dollars more that did not match this Montana in terms of overall fit and finish and just the overall impression of quality.

I am pleased. grin

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi Jim,

If you don't mind answering, how does the rifle feed? Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had it about a week now to discover the warts and feeding apparently is one of them. I haven't worked enough to see all the why's and wherefore's but some rounds will hang up on the C ring and not chamber. This happens for rounds coming up from the left or right. Hornady 100 gr. SP do so when seated .020" off the lands, but 100 gr. BTSP which are seated only .010" further out do not hang up. Sierra 85 BTHP will hang up but Hornady 87 V-MAX bullets do not. And not all examples of each bullet mentioned hang up all the time.

The steep angle from the magazine to the chamber seems to be part of the problem, it will not feed empty cases no way no how. I think maybe opening the feed rails just a few ten thousandths up front would allow the nose to rise higher or the magazine to release the case before hitting the barrel but again, I haven't worked with it enough to really pin down the cause.

Accuracy wise it shows real potential. I didn't break in the barrel, just starting shooting. I put 54 rounds through it Sunday morning in mostly 4 shot groups. The first 8 shots were nothing to brag about, fairly wide groups of 2" or so. But the more I shot the more it started to settle down and it began putting 4 shot groups of 2 and 2 or 3 and 1, most times the three would be well under an inch and approaching 1/2". I worked up a pressure series of different powder charges under the Hornady 100 SP, BTSP, 87 V-MAX and 105 A-MAX and the Sierra 85 BTHP, and they all showed that double grouping or 3 and 1 tendency. This tells me to seat the bullets deeper which I will try this weekend.

I've seen examples of genuine Mausers and other rifles, both CRF and push feed, that had feeding or extraction problems. In some rifles the problems were insurmountable but others just needed a little tweaking or finding the overall lengths they liked.

The fact that this rifle won't feed everything perfectly was a bit of a let down but certainly not enough to discard the rifle out of hand or give up on it any time soon.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The fact that this rifle won't feed everything perfectly was a bit of a let down but certainly not enough to discard the rifle out of hand or give up on it any time soon.

That is extremely concerning. Wouldn't that be checked during the normal function check at the factory?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'd think so but a lot of rifles will feed well with one nose shape or OAL and not with another. Gunsmiths get good bucks to make sure famous name brand rifles will feed everything reliably. Many folks think nothing of buying a top end firearm and then sending it off to someone for "tweaking". Part of D'Arcy Echols' work on Model 70's is adjusting the magazine box and feed rail geometry so his rifles will feed everything without fail.

I've seen so many people expect perfection in a rifle or handgun and then when they find one flaw their undying love for their new toy turns into instant total rejection.

True perfection in every category is not that easy to find in any manufactured good so that's why I say I'm not too worried about it just now. Learning a rifle's personality is just part of the process. The rifle has too many other good points right out of the box not to give it a chance to find what it likes and doesn't like, and then just feed it what it likes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just more random thoughts on the subject while I finish my coffee.

- Got a LH Kimber of OR M84 .223. If you put four rounds in the magazine it feeds fine, but if you put that fifth round in it will pop out and smokestack every time. But it is just about the most accurate dang rifle I've ever owned, it will easily group in there with a heavy varmint barreled .223. It's lightweight, great trigger, great accuracy and it looks great but my five shooter is functionally a four shooter. Oh, well.

- Got a Yugo Mauser straight out of the factory. Genuine M98 design, rough and ready battle rifle shooting the 8x57 rounds it was originally made for. If you don't pull the bolt back smartly on the last round it will just drop the empty case back onto the follower.

- Unaltered 1915 Swedish Model 96 does the same thing. Unless you smartly eject the last round it will just fall back on the follower or at best dribble out to the side. But it's as accurate as a modern bolt action, it is a jewel of true old world craftsmanship with everything polished and hand fitted, so I live with its idiosyncrasy and just work the bolt smartly for each round. No biggie.

- My Ruger American .22-250 will jam the 2nd and 3rd rounds every single time if you feed them slowly. Just a coincidence of the shorter round in a magazine made for .243 and .308 rounds. I could cuss the rifle, smash the barrel against a tree and gnash my teeth at my misfortune, or just remember to feed the rounds quickly in which case they never fail to feed. I prefer the latter route.

Could name several other examples but y'all get the idea. Nothing wrong with fixing what ails a rifle or tweaking it where needed, but I don't see any reason to dispose of a rifle just because it isn't perfect in every possible way. And those rifles that are perfect get an honored place since I know that they aren't as ubiquitous as we'd like.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Any update on when the right handed rifles are going to ship? What part is MRC waiting on? Sorry to be such a PITA, but Jim has me all jealous! cry eek

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's the 3rd group by shaping up to be?

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The left hand rifles were in bedding on Monday. The right hand rifles were awaiting a part, then off to bedding. It won't be long.

So any idea on when the RH rifles will be shipping the? It's been over a month and a half since the last update on the RH rifles. What part were they waiting on anyway?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Did all the right-hand rifles sell?

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Right hand rifles started shipping! I just got an email notification...

We'll be contacting you as soon as they hit the door.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Finally!!! I can't wait to hit the range!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have definite interest as well for LH. I am not interested in .243 but perhaps a non-magnum 7mm. -- David.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dai_sca
I have definite interest as well for LH. I am not interested in .243 but perhaps a non-magnum 7mm. -- David.

+1...I wouldn't complain about a LH .308 either.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Drove down to SAS's shop today and picked up my MRC .243. Also picked up some brass and primers. Hope to get a scope mounted and do some load development later this week.

Totally surprised at the number of people at Whitaker's this morning. I got there about 25 to 30 minutes after they opened. And both parking lots were already FULL! On a Tuesday! Fortunately with the recent remodel/expansion, there was still plenty of room to move around inside. But, just totally surprised at the number of people. And not just tire kickers. Appeared to be plenty of product going out the door...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's amazing what good customer service, honest salesmen, and good business practices will do.

A lesson lost on most others.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Drove down to SAS's shop today and picked up my MRC .243. Also picked up some brass and primers. Hope to get a scope mounted and do some load development later this week.

Totally surprised at the number of people at Whitaker's this morning. I got there about 25 to 30 minutes after they opened. And both parking lots were already FULL! On a Tuesday! Fortunately with the recent remodel/expansion, there was still plenty of room to move around inside. But, just totally surprised at the number of people. And not just tire kickers. Appeared to be plenty of product going out the door...

Things are crazy right now. Traffic is unreal. I wish we could have spent more time talking. Maybe we'll just go back in my office and kick back for a few minutes during your next visit!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Does anyone have pictures of their rifles yet?

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
My 2 (LH & RH) shipped today but I'm headed to Mexico for week on Sat so I won't pick them up from the FFL till I get back.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I picked up my rifle today from the LGS, and to be honest I'm on the fence about it. I ordered some Talley mounts that didn't make it into the box, but Eric admitted the mistake and refunded the money at my request. However, he did offer to overnight them to me at no expense which was a very nice gesture.

I had dropped of a Leupold VXII 3-9X40 to be mounted in the Talley's but when they weren't in the box he to the liberty of using some aluminum Weaver bases and Quad Lock rings. It's no big deal and the mounts and rings will work for now as if this rifle shoots really well, I'll be switching out the scope for a more long range option. However if it doesn't shoot as I hope, it'll probably get reworked.

First thing I noticed about the rifle is way heavier than advertised. MRC list the X2 Extreme as 6lbs 14oz. I figured I was going to add close to another pound with the Talley's and the Leupold, making the rifle a hair under 8 lbs. Well that isn't the case the rifle came in a hair under 8.5lbs, big difference from what I was expecting.

Sorry for crappy scale picture:

[Linked Image]

I know the MRC actions are supposed to be heavy as just reading around the web you hear that. I do think MRC could lighten up these rifles a bit by changing the barrel profile especially the shank. The shank on my rifle is a good 1.75" before the barrel begins to taper. However the balance is good on the rifle as it seems to balance right at the front action screw.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fit and finish seem to really good on my rifle, the trigger guard is flush with the stock line as well as the tang and ejection port. The cutout for the bolt handle could have used a little more attention as it's a little over sized. It doesn't feel as sevelt in my hands as my McMillan Hunter or M70 FWT stocks, but the stock does feel nice. The forearm is a little thicker than the McMillan's but the wrist, flutes and pistol grip has an excellent feel to them in my hand.

The barrel is free floated and centered in the forearm, though I'd maybe like a little more float on the barrel. It's a snug fit for an 8.5X11 sheet of printer paper to fit down the forearm. The float ends right at the shank as that is where the bedding material ends as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The stainless steel has a nice even matte finish all over though I haven't popped the action from the stock yet. The bolt handle feels a little small but it's still easy to manipulate. There is a ton of shipping grease in the action and on the bolt so until I can take some time to degrease everything, I can't really tell you how the bolt feels. I can tell you however, the safety works within an acceptable decibel range for those worried it might be too loud to use while hunting. wink

Hopefully I can get my 12 year old to drive me to the range on Friday after basketball practice, since it's hard to drive my pickup with my broken leg. She's getting pretty good at driving a stick and taking the backroads to avoid the law. It's a little father daughter bonding time we both enjoy.

If the rifle shoots well then I guess I'll figure out if I can put it on a diet affordably or not. I really want this rifle to perform well as I had planned to build an 8 twist .243 that would finish at sub 8 lbs all up, but jumped on this group buy as it saved me a minimum of $500 right off the bat. Needless to say I'm a little bummed about the thought of a 9lbs all up .243 Win.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the thoughts/review - I'd be real interested in one of these at that weight in a 6.5 SAUM.

Life is just one damned thing after another
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I picked mine up today. So far, so good. I haven't shot it yet (will do that this weekend), but the fit and finish is top notch. The bedding and pillars look good, the barrel is free floated, the crown is nicely cut, etc. The stock ergonomics feel good and pictures don't do the stock color justice; it is a dark grey with black webbing. Mine weighed in at 7 pounds, 8 ounces naked. The trigger measures an even three pounds and feels decent, but I will replace it with a Timney. The ejection port cut is a bit odd, but that would be my only complaint. If she shoots, this gun will be a home run IMO.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, but any picture is better than none.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by whitebread; 01/19/16.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Yes, yes, yes yes! Make us a really cool unique rifle.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sign me up for a 6.5 saum 4s. That would be very cool except the brass part wich can be delt with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked mine up today. So far, so good. I haven't shot it yet (will do that this weekend), but the fit and finish is top notch. The bedding and pillars look good, the barrel is free floated, the crown is nicely cut, etc. The stock ergonomics feel good and pictures don't do the stock color justice; it is a dark grey with black webbing. Mine weighed in at 7 pounds, 8 ounces naked. The trigger measures an even three pounds and feels decent, but I will replace it with a Timney. The ejection port cut is a bit odd, but that would be my only complaint. If she shoots, this gun will be a home run IMO.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, but any picture is better than none.
[Linked Image]

What pad is that on the stock?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by cal74
Thanks for the thoughts/review - I'd be real interested in one of these at that weight in a 6.5 SAUM.

I'd be on board as well.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Triad Tactical. They are excellent packs to get proper cheek weld.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Triad Tactical. They are excellent packs to get proper cheek weld.

Thank you

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice rifle. I would let a gunsmith hone and set the original trigger before buying a Timney. The model 70/ Springfield style trigger is one of the pluses of the Montana action to me. I would only go aftermarket if I wanted less than 2 lbs of pull. But you may be able to get this with an Ernie the Gunsmith replacement spring and a little tuning. I think the M70 spring will fit but verify this before ordering.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Tejano
Nice rifle. I would let a gunsmith hone and set the original trigger before buying a Timney. The model 70/ Springfield style trigger is one of the pluses of the Montana action to me. I would only go aftermarket if I wanted less than 2 lbs of pull. But you may be able to get this with an Ernie the Gunsmith replacement spring and a little tuning. I think the M70 spring will fit but verify this before ordering.

Well, the Timney did not fit, so the original trigger will stay. It was slightly too wide (filed it to fit), and then had interference with casting flash where the original spring assembly sat. So I scrapped the idea and will move forward with the original.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the 6.5 SAUM idea getting any real thought?

What's the advantage over a 6.5X284?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Is the 6.5 SAUM idea getting any real thought?

What's the advantage over a 6.5X284?

I would throw down $ on a 6.5 saum today!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
i have a nice MRC 1999 in 243, has a Accurate Innovations stock and heavy 24" SS fluted barrel, has a EGW rail, TPS rings and a HD5 5-25x50 on top

needs a bit of trigger work but otherwise shoots great

Last edited by Ocean_Raider; 09/24/16.

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,490
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.