Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LOWTEC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I'm thinking about my next pick-up truck,weather to get a new one or an older one.The most important attributes are it being reliable and durable.I plow snow commercially and haul firewood.In the past I've had a 99 Ford F-350,diesel,manual trans.It was probably the best truck for pushing snow but had it's share of problems,rear leaf spring came apart,CPS went out,two trans issue(throwout bearing then a hyd.line went out)cooling fan,ball joints had to be replace four times in 164,000 mi.Evan though it's a work truck,I'm careful plowing and don't fell I abuse vehicles.The next truck,a 2005 Dodge 2500,diesel,auto,the only real issue beside the thin sheet metal was the from U-joint having to be replaced three times in 64,000 mi.My Current truck,2011 GMC 3500,no issues except for thin sheet metal and a pain/rust issue on the passenger side of the truck,the front end sits lower than I would like but I knew that when I bought it and it hasn't been a problem.All trucks were regular cabs.I'm not ready for a new truck yet put I'm wondering if an older truck might be more durable and reliable,is simpler better?Something like a pre Super Duty F-350,diesel or gas(460),manual with a flatbed would be pretty neat.Thanks for any suggestions.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your only concern about your current truck is that it's low in the front end (especially with a snow plow), you can index the front ride height up to compensate for some of that albeit at the expense of ride quality as you reach the upper limits.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Newer trucks tend to be more reliable than older ones, with some exceptions. Unless you want to go full restoration from the ground up I would just keep the 2011.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Older is less reliable in my experience. Talk of "simpler is better" is only true to a point, then age catches up. All things considered I'd always pick a newer vehicle unless you like wrenching on things.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If I was moving snow commercially I'd have to seriously consider a ~24' deckover and a skid-steer. 1 blower, 1 snow bucket. Grab the one you need and get to work. Pack your clients close together so you can do multiple parcels every time you're off the trailer.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
If we could buy brand new, old model trucks, it would be one thing. I tend to think the simplicity of older trucks made for a more reliable machine in general. The problem is that even a low mileage mid 90s truck (for example) is still 20 years old and mileage isn't the only killer of vehicles. I'm actually selling my '95 F350 tomorrow as I replaced it with a 2013 Super Duty. There is a simplicity with the '95 that I appreciate but I've had my days of wrenching and so long as I can afford to, I'd rather drive newer rigs.

L
LOWTEC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thank you all for your help.Your suggestions all make sense,if you were then looking for a new or newer truck(other than my current GMC),what would you look for?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem with older trucks is IMHO they are way over priced. A clean older 3/4 or 1 ton that doesn't have a ton of miles is going to cost you $20k, if you can find one. Most older trucks are being sold because they are clapped out. Unless you can find that 1 in 10,000 truck that was used once a year by grandpa to pull his fifth wheel and is pristine, bite the bullet and go new.

I've been pleased with ram 2500 cummins, I've had a few minor issues, but all in all nothing major in 135k miles over 8 years.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
20 years ago a truck was considered worn out at 100k. The new ones are expected to go twice that.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They may go twice that on pavement, but oil field trucks that live their life on gravel roads are shook loose by 100k.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GUhunter
If we could buy brand new, old model trucks, it would be one thing. I tend to think the simplicity of older trucks made for a more reliable machine in general. The problem is that even a low mileage mid 90s truck (for example) is still 20 years old and mileage isn't the only killer of vehicles. I'm actually selling my '95 F350 tomorrow as I replaced it with a 2013 Super Duty. There is a simplicity with the '95 that I appreciate but I've had my days of wrenching and so long as I can afford to, I'd rather drive newer rigs.

I loved my '95 F-350. Didn't like the fuel mileage though. Good luck with your push button newer 4x4's and everything is computer controlled...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I want a crank window (with the wing), mechanical manipulate a shifter not push a button 4wd, rubber floored, manual hubs, steel body, with a modern fuel injected motor (5.3 or 6.0 Chevy for example) with no traction control, automatic door locks, with a real bumper front and back. With as little computer as possible and maintain reliability we have with modern pickups. Regardless of brand I'd buy one. Lots of good stuff with the new trucks, but they come hand in hand with nanny bullshcit and extra features you don't need if you're buying a truck. You want a car buy a car or an SUV. I will give one concession to comfort and stipulate an am/fm/xm/cd radio. grin

MAGA
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I loved my '95 F-350. Didn't like the fuel mileage though. Good luck with your push button newer 4x4's and everything is computer controlled...

I do kinda wish I had a manual transfer case but do like having auto hubs and still the option of manual override. The new truck is gas like the old one and tows the camper much better than the old truck did and gets 16 on the highway (the old 460 got 10).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I want a crank window (with the wing), mechanical manipulate a shifter not push a button 4wd, rubber floored, manual hubs, steel body, with a modern fuel injected motor (5.3 or 6.0 Chevy for example) with no traction control, automatic door locks, with a real bumper front and back. With as little computer as possible and maintain reliability we have with modern pickups. Regardless of brand I'd buy one. Lots of good stuff with the new trucks, but they come hand in hand with nanny bullshcit and extra features you don't need if you're buying a truck. You want a car buy a car or an SUV. I will give one concession to comfort and stipulate an am/fm/xm/cd radio. grin

Sign me up for a truck like the one you are describing. A solid axle in the front would also be a good option.... I'm thinking about doing a little custom fab work on my 2004 GMC sierra 4x4 to make this happen... grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I do kinda wish I had a manual transfer case but do like having auto hubs and still the option of manual override. The new truck is gas like the old one and tows the camper much better than the old truck did and gets 16 on the highway (the old 460 got 10).

I remember those days. Ming got 12 at best. It had 3.55 gears though, so that may have helped a little... sick. Actually, the one I really miss was my old 96 cummins. Damn good/great truck but I needed an extended cab for growing family. What a mistake getting rid of it. This one got 21 mpg on the freeway:

[Linked Image]

The old '79 powerwagon behind it got 15 on the freeway, with its bullet proof 318 that I built....

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was like you guys at one time my first truck was a 73 chevy half ton... That damn thing I tell you if it wasn't one thing it was another it had a 4spd with the good ol NP 205 I swapped running gear to 3:73 dropped a big block 454 in it that I swear to god it got 7 MPG. I was always working on that damn thing. So now days I buy new my current truck is a 2014 F250 fx4 XLT and I will keep everything that came with it to include electronic 4 wheel drive. You can keep your wing windows (I don't smoke cigarettes), manual crank up windows, manual door lock AM radio this isn't 1975 anymore.

Last edited by 79S; 08/15/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The new trucks are great. When I go off road or really need a truck, I take my 86 Chevy 3/4 ton. Keep electronic 4 wheel drive. Women like it I suppose. mtmuley

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only "feature" I wish they'd bring back is vent windows.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If buying new seems like Ford finally got a good Diesel again with the 6.7 and got plenty of power. I hope so I got one.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mtmuley
The new trucks are great. When I go off road or really need a truck, I take my 86 Chevy 3/4 ton. Keep electronic 4 wheel drive. Women like it I suppose. mtmuley

Rollin... Good one.. laugh

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (007FJ, 1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,983 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.