Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chrome Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Never owned one.

Thinking about getting a Big Boy Steel in .357 Mag.

Cool video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUxhKg93oGQ

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know anything about the Big Boys but I can attest to their accuracy and reliability.
I have an octagon barreled 22mag that I'll never part with.

[Linked Image]

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what sights you have on that FG?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Williams. Can't remember the model # though. oldtimers frown

Here's a better pic.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would never buy a Henry rifle without seeing it firsthand. I have one of their 22 Mags which has lost much of the paint on the receiver….which is a solid chunk of zinc. It also has a plastic front sight. I had higher quality toy cap guns as a kid. But they apparently make some stuff that appeals to some people.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You never miss an opportunity to bash Henry rifles, do you?

The only plastic on mine is the butt plate but so's the one on my Marlin 39.

And there's nothing wrong with the alloy receiver cover but I agree that they should figure out a better way of finishing it.

For the price though, Henry makes a solid rifle's that shoot straight.

If you can point me to another company that's currently offering a 22WMR lever gun I'd love to hear about it but until then I'll stick with with my lowly Henry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I'm saying is, a fellow needs to be careful. Henry apparently makes some rifles well, but the single example I've got in hand is an embarrassing example of American manufacturing. There's no reason they should get a pass for that.

(I bought the one I have from a friend who needed money to keep his kid in diapers; I didn't pay much attention to the details and could see the generally rough condition of a hard-use gun. I had always heard generally good reports in regard to Henry products so I was very surprised by the level of mediocrity my specimen showed in it's detail.)

Perhaps the model I have is a singularly poor example of their work; I don't know?

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Perhaps the model I have is a singularly poor example of their work; I don't know?

No, my first 22 mag got a chip in the finish on the cover and it spread some.

Henry did replace it free.

I ended up selling it after it was fixed, thinking I wanted a bolt gun, but ended up selling the bolt and buying another Henry.

The second one I got had the plastic front sight, which I am looking to replace.

Both guns shot great though.

really great.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I own a 45-70, 22 mag, and 22 LR. All are accurate. With Blazer ammo the 22 LR will shoot 5 shots under 1 inch at 50 yards. The 22 mag will do a little better depending on which ammo it is eating.
Some people have an issue with the loading/feeding tubes on the 45-70 but so far no issues with mine.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Chrome Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Found a Henry Big Boy Steel in .357 Mag at a local shop.

Looked good, felt stout with a smooth action.

Going back in the morning, might bring it home...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never seen one like that. I thought all the big boy's were Golden boys for some reason.

It appears to have a dovetail front sight like mine so you won't have to worry about a plastic ramp. grin

Post some pix of the actual rifle when and if you get it.
Thanks

L
L
I bought a Henry Big Boy Steel in the 357Mag a couple of week ago. Brought it home from gun show and wife wants to shoot it. So to the range we go. She likes it too. Now I need another one. cry
That Henry is the most accurate pistol cartridge shooting gun I have aver owned. Pistol Or rifle and I've owned a bunch. From a rest on the bench I chewed the center out of the target using The cheap Remington UMC 158gr JHP ammo. Rifle loved the stuff. I slapped a scope (6X) on her and proceeded to put a whole tube full of shots in a group that a 50 cent piece almost covered at 50yds.
The twist in the barrel appears to be a lot faster than an of my pistols. Also faster than my Marlin and my Timber Wolfe pump. Lands are rather deeper and more pronounced too.
It operates smoother and quieter than the marlin also. I'e had it almost totally apart and there are NO PLASTIC parts in or on it at all. (Rubber butt plate/recoil pad)

Buy it, you won't be disappointed! Just don't let your wife shoot it... cry

Chrome Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bought the Big Steel 357 Mag. Couldn't find a reason not to get it. The walnut stock doesn't have the character that I was seeing on some of the pictures from the internet, but its nice enough for a hunting rifle.

The tube loading reminds me of my childhood days with the many .22's that had them.

I'm a stunt shooter so I'll be scoping it up and shoot some deer with it this October.

As a side note I heavily inspected a Remlin 336C in .35 Rem.

It had a beautiful walnut stock. Wood to metal fit was tight, action was smooth. If it would have been in 30-30 it would have been a tough decision not to get it. Well made rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It looks good in the pics and it's good to hear you like it 'in the flesh' as well. I may have to take a look myself; wanting to find a 38/357 lever gun for my wife.

What did you have to give for it?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like Henry and their customer service is second to none. If you have a problem, they will bend over backwards to help you. No gun is perfect, but they are fine, Made in America guns.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I thought they were made in New Jersey?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I thought they were made in New Jersey?

Building centerfire rifles in Rice Lake, WI

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Can anyone tell me if recently produced Henry .22 LR lever action rifles have the transfer bar safety? I am going to buy one for my girlfriend and I'm wondering which safety I'll need to train her for. She has never shot any long arm with an open hammer (she is mainly used to S&W revolvers); she is a smart girl and will be safe with either safety system; but the transfer bar will simplify my teaching.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine doesn't.

Does the pic I posted not show up on you're screen?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nice pictures. The two I can see are with the cat and a nice single action. Is there another that I am not seeing? I am impressed by the smoothness of the action and clean trigger. I have not shot a Henry but almost all of the reports I've gotten on accuracy and reliability have been very positive. No complaints about the plastic sight; I have a plastic Magpul back sight on one of my AR's and it has been fine.

How long ago did you buy your Henry?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.