Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am looking at going bear hunting here in a few weeks, and I am thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to have my trusty 870 next to me for back up, just in case. (although Ill also have my XD-40, so might be overkill).

I have the original 28" barrel, with screw in chokes. Currently I have an extended, super full on there for shooting coyotes with #4 buck.

My thought is if I took the choke out it would be ok? Would the slug going down the barrel cause damage to the threads? Obvously, my barrel is not rifled, but will a rifled slug prove some what accurate? Im not needing to shoot a gnat off a mosquitos ass, just accurate enough to hit black/brown fur if I A. Am lucky enough to call a bear in B. Don't kill it right then and there with my 300 wsm. C. Walk up on it till breathing.

GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rifled slugs are plenty accurate from an unrifled barrel.

I hunted that way for years in Michigan, basic remington slugs, a modified choke, or improved cylinder.

I don't think the lead will mess up the threads, but why take the chance? Do you have another non-full you can slide in there?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why shoot through the threads? It probably won't be as accurate and is taking an unnecessary risk. Without a choke in there the threaded section of the barrel is very thin. A ding or knock there and it is no longer round and chokes won't screw in afterward. That is going to require a couple hundred bucks and some quality gunsmithing to set straight. Or scrap the barrel and buy a new one. Factory choke tubes are inexpensive and if nothing else provide a degree of strength and protection. I've found a lot of Foster type slugs shoot well through either IC or Mod choke constrictions.

Last edited by MOGC; 08/13/15.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Screw in IC or mod or something dont shoot the threads it will puck em up. My 1100 shoots foster slugs into dam near 1 hole at 50. I bet its way more accurate than you expect.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by passport
Screw in IC or mod or something dont shoot the threads it will puck em up. My 1100 shoots foster slugs into dam near 1 hole at 50. I bet its way more accurate than you expect.

You must have the only Rem 1100 that will shoot one hole groups. shocked

Doc

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't shoot it without a tube screwed in!
Another option is to pick up a shorter barrel. Lots of 870 barrels out there, both new and used. You can get 20" barrels (smooth, smooth with choke tubes or rifled) with rifle style sights that will make it a little handier to haul around. Just watch to make sure the barrel chamber matches your receiver (2and3/4 or 3 inch). Find a gun show this weekend or next and you'll probably see dozens of choices.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Find a cheap 870 barrel over on EBay. A 20" Cylinder choked barrel will be plenty accurate for what you want to do, and much handier to carry in the woods.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
This is the type of info I was looking for, I think i have my original Mod choke. I was unsure if screwing it in would squeeze the slug causing issues or not. Only time Ive ever shot slugs (which I have shot my fair share of) has been through shotguns of which do not belong to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always have a choke tube in the barrel when shooting. The threads will be toast in no time otherwise.

Slugs GENERALLY shoot best with an Improved Cylinder choke (yes, there are guns that will do differently, but less choke is better -- GENERALLY).

In the bear woods, you might not feel comfortable thrashing around with a 28" barrel.... Your best bet (read cheapest too) is to look into something like this: http://www.cdnnsports.com/870-12-20-3-cyl-target.html#.Vc3yz_kVgYk

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Your modified choke tube isn't going to be damaged by FOSTER type soft lead slugs. Most of them are so undersized that the hollow based skirt can't expand enough to fill a 12 gauge bore anyway. Often a Foster slug is rattling down a standard 12 gauge barrel, even with a bit of constriction. Brenneke and sabot slugs are a different story.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by passport

You must have the only Rem 1100 that will shoot one hole groups. shocked

Doc

No! I had another they was just as good Doc. Plain old Rem slug barrels with open sights. Deadly at 50.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Load it with Remington BuckHammer slugs, then hand it to the bear, and have him shoot it. After his shoulder blades quit bouncing off each other and he wipes the snot from his face, he will have lost all interest in you.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I tried slugs out of my 870 just for the heck of it.. The 28 in. mod. choke would make killing shots on deer or bear to probably 100 yds.. The special field with an IC would be ok at 50 but a hit at 100 would have just been luck..

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
A Foster slug might not damage the bare choke-tube threads, but I'd guess shooting any number of them that way will leave a lot of lead and soot in the threads

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,330 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.