Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#10282094 08/13/15
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Stop by this forum now that Darrik ( shortactionsmoker) at whit takers guns has found for me, and sold to me a Ruger #1A in .222????? grin

Took it up to the range today, tried five different loads...it liked them all!!!

My love for #1s has been rekindled!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Master high PooBah Ingwe,

Of course you can stop by here. If Travis/Clark/Dave?deflave can chime in wherever he wants, why not you?

And another thing. AS you can see by my post count, I haven't been around here all that long but I have learned well from the likes of you:

Without pics it's not real! wink

I always like looking at #1's

Geno

PS, how's Rommel, you still have him I hope?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Yep, I still ha e Rommel...hes better than ever. finally at 3 years of age, he has figured out he's a German Shepherd ( meaning,he can intimidate people...)
No downside to that!

At 107 pounds the sight of him roaring and flying at you is something else! Perfect for the 'neighbors' in the subsidized housing complex out back. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Here....just for you....

[Linked Image]

and a special one....

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Sweet. 1a's are the bomb.

IC B2

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Yep.....seems to be a love/hate thing with them and 1-S....I think they are the best looking factory rifles ever produced, and the next guy thinks they are as ugly as home-made sin.

This is my fourth, and three of them have been shooters.....this is the best of the lot, though my .243 was easy to get along with....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah buddy! Don't know which is prettier, Rommel or the new shooter.

3 is a good age, seems pups just start realizing they are dogs then and make different decisions. Not always goofy puppy ones.

Thanks for sharing Ingwe, please give Rommel a treat for me.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Yep, Im seeing exactly that happen, and Ive never had a male before...at least in GSDs they mature slowly.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since we're doing pets and Number Ones...

[Linked Image]

grin

Rommel is a handsome dude, though, I gotta admit. smile

I see you went with the Ruger offset rings.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T & C,
Hey, I saw that kitty and rifle on another thread. They are both worth another look though!
Geno

In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sure enough, we "adopted" a male whippet last year and he has been a challenge for my wife. First male for her as we've had females for 19 years since my old Bruno passed (dang, has it really been that long?) Her whippet club members told her the males will take 3 years to straighten out. I'm not so sure about him though, he might be a 4 year male!

I'm sure the two of them, rifle and Rommel, will turn out just fine!

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really wanted one of those Ruger No.1 222's but couldn't afford one (they wanted around $1500 here) maybe a used one will show up one day........

Gerry.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

I see you went with the Ruger offset rings.

Yeah, I had to in order to achieve JeffO mounting parameters.

Didn't you bring a #1 to the pig hunt this year?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't recall doing so, I think it was Dan who had a brand new 6.5x55 #1A, that he used. I had a Kimber and three AR's, so folks could borrow a gun with illuminated reticle. The 2014 hunt in Tennessee, I had a couple of old ones with me, probably a #1 as well.

What twist did they use on your .222?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I got my Lab, I was told they mature at about 2 years of age.

More like maybe 6.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Stop by this forum now that Darrik ( shortactionsmoker) at whit takers guns has found for me, and sold to me a Ruger #1A in .222????? grin

There goes the neighborhood. laugh

Seriously, I agree about the 1A & 1S being the height of rifle pulchritude. I need to get rid of this overweight 1V & replace it with another.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I don't recall doing so, I think it was Dan who had a brand new 6.5x55 #1A, that he used. I had a Kimber and three AR's, so folks could borrow a gun with illuminated reticle. The 2014 hunt in Tennessee, I had a couple of old ones with me, probably a #1 as well.

What twist did they use on your .222?

You're right...Dan did bring a snazzy new 6.5.....thats where I got that notion.

The .222 is twisted 1 in 9

I tried 5 loads in it yesterday, including 55 and 60 grainers, and it liked them all!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah, 20 years ago someone at Ruger finally realized that good barrels sell, and they started hammer-forging their own - and they've gotten pretty good at it!

They are supposed to be making a 1 in 8" .223 this year, 26" stainless Varmint profile, and I'm hoping it arrives soon!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One thing seemed to be consistent with the Ruger #1's I have. The #1B in small calibers seem to be quite accurate. (Most all mine have those Wilson Barrels.) The #1A's not so much. The only #1V I have is a .223 and is a tack driver. What torques my jaws more than anything else is when I order rifle in the "S" configuratiom (I think they're the best looking ones.) all they ever sent was the "B" model. mad At least the .300 Win. Mag. was very accurate. Took me many long years to finally chase down an "S" model and then found two. Both are .300 Win. Mag. One is a tack driver. Even a bit more accurate than the "B" model and I haven't shot the latest one yet, an "S" .300 Win. Mag. made in the 200th year of American liberty. I also have a 200th year "B" in 7mmRem. Mag.
Probably my favorite #1 is an "A" model in 7x57 Mauser. I bought it second hand and it was one of the most inaccurate rifles in existence. It had a throat 2.5" in length. Guess I should have named it "Linda". Called Ruger and explained my problem as determined by my gunsmith's chamber cast and they said to send it in. Took them seven months to get it back to me but it is a shooter now. Duplicated the original 1893 175 gr. loads and it does a cool .55" average. Does .75" with 140 gr. Ballistic Tips. What's not to like?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
As I might have mentioned Ive had four #1As so far, and three have been shooters. The only one that wasn't was a 7x57....same as yours, you could seat a 175 so far out it fell out of the case without touching the rifling......would shoot 2 or 3 shots well, then a flier....and never predictable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (007FJ, 257 mag, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 10 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.