Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
My Son in Law treated the grandkids and myself to a couple days fishing out of Newport. What a treat.

It was the first time this Idaho boy had seen the ocean. I had the Dr prescribe a scopalomine patch. No seasick for this guy. It worked.

We went out with Yaquina Bay Charters Tue and Thur of last week.
Tue was a half day trip for rock fish. SIL, myself, and four kids age eight to fourteen. We had a 27 foot Boston Whaler and the Skipper all to ourself.

The Skipper treated the kids as though they were his own.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

They all had a great time. We caught a greenling, a ling cod, a cabazone, limited out on rock fish, and Dungeness crab.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The catch of the day was mine. A second ling cod, skipper estimated at ten pounds.
[Linked Image]

The SIL and I were also signed up for a full day trip for tuna and rock fish. The tuna had moved up near Pacific City and out of reach of our outfitter's boats.

So the trip turned into salmon and rock fish. This time on a larger boat, maybe 36 foot? With eight other fisherman and a brilliant sun lit day. SIL caught one silver, but his hook broke just before the fish was netted. Needless to say, the skipper was very embarrassed. I caught one, and could hardly hold the pole. I was barely able to turn the reel handle. But finally got the fish near the boat and the net. It turned out my fish had fouled another line, and I was reeling in two. In addition, my fish was foul hooked in the gills and I was reeling it in sideways to the drag of the boat still under troll.

The second fish was hatchery and a keeper. So the gentleman on the other pole got to bag it. My fish was a native, and foul hooked, so it went over the side.

Such a shame, as about an hour later we completed a circle trolling, and there was my fish floating on the surface with a couple sea gulls pecking at it.

So much for the morning, five hours and one fish on the boat.
Se we hit the rock fish and had ten limits in not much over an hour. Big fatties which netted over a pound of filet per fish.

My 12 year old grand daughter hollered all week for a dinner of halibut and chips. So Friday I hit the Newport fish market, down on the docks, and grabbed two pounds of halibut.

That evening, Momma and I prepared a fish fry for nine with five pounds of fresh taters turned into deep fried circle fries, breaded halibut, rockfish, flounder, and crab.

I honestly could not tell the difference between the fresh rock fish and the halibut. Both were mild flavored and firm.
the flounder was tasteless mush. If we ever catch another, it will not make it into the dock. And of nine people, only the eight year old boy can stand to eat that nasty stinky crab.

That is okay. I know several people who think that crab is very expensive........so it must be really goooood! They are getting our share.

Yes, we all had a wonderful time. I highly recommend the folks at Yaquina Bay Outfitters.

For a small group, or a family trip, a guy could not do better than to ask for Chet with his 27 foot Boston Whaler, the "Jenna Sea". He will take good care of you.

[Linked Image]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy you had a good time and thanks for sharing the pics!

While I could care less about halibut, lings are an absolute treat! Most rockfish is super good as well!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Great report and so happy that you spent time fishing with the grandchildren!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 53 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.