K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Partridge and an Ithaca/SKB 100,
[Linked Image]
Partridge and a Belgian Browning Sweet 16,
[Linked Image]
and when you have the right dog the gun doesn't much matter.
[Linked Image]

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pheasant, Ruffed Grouse, and Chuckar with a Sauer SXS 12ga

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Quail and Blue Grouse with a French 16ga SXS

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pheasant and chuckar with a 20ga single shot Savage 220...about 59-60 years ago...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cool cool
Those dogs look happy... smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
20 gauge 870 26 inch I/C barrel purchased in 1968.

[Linked Image]

12 gauge 870 Express Magnum.

[Linked Image]
Oops, you said upland, here you go.
[Linked Image]
12 gauge Red Label I/C and Mod.
[Linked Image]
\
[Linked Image]

20 gauge Chief's Grade Trade Gun, flintlock, cylinder bore.

[Linked Image]

I enjoy each one but the flintlock is the most fun.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My shotguns of choice since the mid 70's have been 870 Rem.
I had number of pumps before that and have had many doubles both o/u and s/s.. But pumps are my choice for upland hunting.. Much of my hunting here in the west is very open shooting compared to other sections of the country..

My all time favorite is an old 870 mag. 12, it has killed everything from bobwhite quail to turkey and geese.. Also a couple coyote. Some years ago, I bought a special field 12 for ruffed grouse and desert quail.. A bit later, my wife took up gunning the uplands, and I bought a pair of 20's.. Got the pair because everytime we went out her first question was, where are my shells.. If I carried a 20 also, we both had ammo.. Not pictured is a 28 ga. 870 that got lots of use shooting forest grouse and some sage grouse.. Need to use it more..

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

One of my greatest "gun regrets" is the circa early '60's, 870 Wingmaster, mod choke, 12 ga. I sent down the road. I took countless upland and waterfowl game with it. That's one I'm truly nostalgic about...now.

Even I could field strip, clean it, reassemble, and get back at it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Still have the 870 12-gauge I ordered new from the J.C. Penney store in Missoula, Montana back in the 1970's, and yeah, they carried guns back then. Ordered it with two barrels, a 26" IC and a 30" Full, because screw-in chokes were almost unknown then, especially on factory guns, but eventually replaced them both with a 26" screw-in model. Ran into a buddy while picking up the gun in September and he said, "Well, shoot, let's go hunting," or something like that. We drove up a canyon just outside of town and got out of the vehicle with my black Lab. A ruffed grouse flushed and I killed it with the first shot I ever fired from that gun. Since then it has taken all 10 upland birds available in Montana, plus a bunch of waterfowl from teal to geese, and also been to Argentina where it killed a bunch of other ducks and over a thousand doves and pigeons.

The 870 still works fine, but these days I do most of my upland hunting with three other guns, a Fausti DEA SL 28-gauge side-by-side, an old Sauer Model 60 12-gauge side-by-side, and a Sauer drilling in 16x16/6.5x57R purchased from luv2safari a few years ago. But the 870 is going to Alberta next month to shoot some ducks and geese.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer, those wingmasters are hard to beat for a field gun.
My 20 came with a 28 inch full choke barrel. I purchased the 26 inch improved cylinder when I started hunting quail because I could not stand the look of those poly-chokes.

Sure am happy I went that route with non- ribbed barrels.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My goto upland gun is a late 1800's Westley Richards receiver with W.Richards barrels fitted ( long before I got it!)
I have also killed geese ad ducks over decoys with it using Bismuth and Nice Shot.
I normally use only black powder in it, but since the chambers were lengthened to 2 3/4" some years ago, I have a set of Briley inserts fr it as well and sometimes shoot skeet using the 20 and 28 tubes and target loads.
Barrels were cut from factory ad are now 26" and CYL/CYL.
I have killed more upland birds with this gun than any other have ever owned, mostly because it's the only one I have reached for for many years!
Cat
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Love seeing those Belgian Auto Fives...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Very neat shotgun Cat-.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Still have the 870 12-gauge I ordered new from the J.C. Penney store in Missoula, Montana back in the 1970's, and yeah, they carried guns back then. Ordered it with two barrels, a 26" IC and a 30" Full, because screw-in chokes were almost unknown then, especially on factory guns, but eventually replaced them both with a 26" screw-in model. Ran into a buddy while picking up the gun in September and he said, "Well, shoot, let's go hunting," or something like that. We drove up a canyon just outside of town and got out of the vehicle with my black Lab. A ruffed grouse flushed and I killed it with the first shot I ever fired from that gun. Since then it has taken all 10 upland birds available in Montana, plus a bunch of waterfowl from teal to geese, and also been to Argentina where it killed a bunch of other ducks and over a thousand doves and pigeons.

The 870 still works fine, but these days I do most of my upland hunting with three other guns, a Fausti DEA SL 28-gauge side-by-kside, an old Sauer Model 60 12-gauge side-by-side, and a Sauer drilling in 16x16/6.5x57R purchased from luv2safari a few years ago. But the 870 is going to Alberta next month to shoot some ducks and geese.

John, my 870 was a 28" mod (fixed) and I ordered it that way contrary to conventional Iowa cornfield wisdom that dictated a 30" full choke tubes. I may be slow but I'm not fast. However, I was "quick" enough to realize about age sixteen that you didn't need all that pipe and that a modified choke would work maybe better across the spectrum including closer flushes and the advent of plastic shot cups. I was never disappointed. Pheasants, ducks, and my first whitetail fell to that gun. It would even put Fosters onto a paper plate at ~ 90 yards with that about 8" long very malleable, stick-on sight, the name of which escapes me now.

But then I'm nostalgic when it comes to 60's music and my high school days too.

Now, my birding is done with a 28 AyA SxS, a 20 ga Beretta 471 SxS, and a Beretta 12 470 SxS. If I feel the need for a shell shucker, it's a Betetta A400. Used a bunch of Benelli's too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Drooling over the SxS's here

For Ruffed Grouse, I like my 26" Red Label 20 ga .
Most often with Skeet over IC choke tubes in the early season.

I'd like this RL 20 even more if it was a pound lighter,
or if I had a 16 Ga barrel set for it.

As the season advances, I also carry a 12 Ga 870 w/ a 21" VR Barrel.
Chokes are SK, IC, or LM tubes depending on terrain, remaining leaf cover, wind, mood etc.

For Sharptails or Pheasant I like a longer sighting plane, and Modified, or LM/Mod in an O/U

I haven't had much opportunity ( or success ) with Huns, so maybe I need a SxS 20 for that, hmmm

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Cat, even though I own only one double now, my grandfather's Fox.. I enjoy looking at them.. Those old hammer guns sure are awesome.. One of my earliest memories of the uplands was a frosty Thanksgiving morning, my grandfather and I were out for birds.. We ran into an old guy who had a hammer double in 10 ga. He noticed me eyeing it and showed it to me.. I am sure it was for the 2 7/8 loads.. Now I am not sure of the make.. I am sure it was not a fine one like you have.. It may have been a Davis..
Thanks for the photos..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are quite welcome Wyo, I love my hammer doubles!
This one is my 10 gauge Westley Richards bar in wood- I have only seen one other bar in wood gun, a Pape.
This Westley is going pheasant hunting this fall with 1 1/8 oz loads and black powder.
[Linked Image]
My current fav's, the two Westley Richards and my Pedersoli Lla Bohemienne hammer gun, featuring browned barrels that are steel proofed, with screw in chokes.
[Linked Image]
Quite the line up in this rack, Parkers, Westley Richards, Ugartechea, Galeizi, Claybourugh and Johnson, quite a cross section!
[Linked Image]
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08/22/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Cat, the Only time I can justify wealth redistribution is when I see your double guns. 😄

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been downsizing lately George - it's tougher than quitting booze!
Cat

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.