Print Thread
Hop To
#10288438 08/14/15
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
So my grandson finally called and said papa I'm ready to learn to shoot with you. He is / was a child that wasn't comfortable away from mom dad. Seems things are changing. Was going to order a Ruger 10/22 tonight then thought a bolt action might be a better tool for beginning. Also more frugal with ammo. What think you?
Do have a fair amount of 22lr on hand .

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, I would go with a bolt action myself, less likely for a accident to happen.
Even Marlin is still making a bolt action with a tube feed where you can use .22 shorts, long and LR's just adds to the fun.

Last edited by Outbackandy; 08/14/15.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
What is his age and what could he hold shooting offhand? Bolt or single shot says "Starter".

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
10 years old and he's a big boy. Been busy playing baseball the last 5 years. Pretty sure offhand will be no problem. Think bolt the more I think about it. Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Young males always go the route of lead in the air if started with a semi auto. Something about if I miss the first time a couple quick ones will surely score.

Locally, it's rare to ever see a kid in the squirrel fields with semi ever hit anything.

Start with bolt action and work on technique, form, and accuracy.

1Minute
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought a Ruger American Compact to use when my grandsons are ready. You can buy full size stock modules for the rifle when they grow. You will have a full size stock on a compact barrel. Not a bad thing.

One mistake a friend of mine made with his grandson was trying to sight in the rifle with the kid present. He never did and the kid couldn't hit anything. It's important that they can see positive results their first time out even if shooting distances need to be measured in feet and not yards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
MichiganScott
Was looking at the Rugers last night. And yes it will be sighted in before he touches it. Have been waiting for this day so I'm kind of excited. Have a Remington 552 semi that I can shoot alongside him.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 1minute
Young males always go the route of lead in the air if started with a semi auto. Something about if I miss the first time a couple quick ones will surely score.

Locally, it's rare to ever see a kid in the squirrel fields with semi ever hit anything.

Start with bolt action and work on technique, form, and accuracy.

Absolutely stay away from semiautos as a first rifle.

As a volunteer range officer, I frequently monitor youth shooting groups in this area.

Blazing away is certainly "fun", but better that they learn that satisfaction from accomplishment, and fun, can go together. I'm talking about the big grin after shooting a nice tightly centered group, or nailing a distant target with one carefully placed shot.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sidepass - the RAR rimfires are just awesome the way the interchangeable stock modules function. Nothing could be simpler...take out the rear swivel stud, put in what you want i.e. LOP adjustment, hi/lo comb etc. Re-install swivel and, presto, the stock now fits. As the youth grows so does the stock w/o any unsightly spacers etc. Even an outta work 'all thumbs' brain surgeon can do it. Homesteader

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Think the Rugers it. After he masters the irons we will put a scope on it. This all will lead to his first shotgun and centerfire rifle, since dad is not a hunter. First hunting trip will be to the family rice for rabbits on the levies.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sidepass
Think the Rugers it. After he masters the irons we will put a scope on it. This all will lead to his first shotgun and centerfire rifle, since dad is not a hunter. First hunting trip will be to the family rice for rabbits on the levies.

That's how I did it with my 3 sons. Also if it is not a single shot I prefer a detachable magazine opposed to a tube fed model. I like the idea of quickly being able to remove the ammo plus you can shoot a detachable mag as a single shot where as with a tube fed magazine it is almost impossible. Iron sites mastered and then yep move him up to a scope.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just about the best beginner rifle I've seen (and bought) was a Remington 581. Very light, smooth action, very accurate, and in a reasonable price range for a first rifle. I've got lots of .22 rimfire rifles, but my son still uses his Rem. 581 when we go for squirrels or rabbits.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the best 22 to start with is the Remington 572 pump if you can find one.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hard to argue with the RAR, considering the stock modules and good trigger. 581s are nice and handle shorts too, but who has seen any shorts lately, and even if you do, they cost as much as the LRs.

The CCI Quiet .22 40gr shoot pretty well, are very quiet, and are one of the few CCI loads I see regularly available. They feed just fine as they are full length.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by sidepass
MichiganScott
Was looking at the Rugers last night. And yes it will be sighted in before he touches it. Have been waiting for this day so I'm kind of excited. Have a Remington 552 semi that I can shoot alongside him.

Didn't mean to suggest that you'd take him out without sighting in the rifle first. My point was that today's kids are all about instant gratification and my friend pushed the issue because the kid wanted to get behind the gun. If they don't get that gratification, they are no longer interested.

Although I'm a firm believer in the need to become proficient with iron sights, I have become convinced that it should happen after the new shooter has started shooting acceptable groups with a scope. Place the cross hair on the target and send the bullet on it's way. I always have a scoped rifle with me when teaching someone to shoot irons regardless of age. When they start to become frustrated with the irons, out comes the scope. A pistol with a red dot also comes out when frustration sets in with irons on a handgun.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
No problem, understand newbies need instant gratification and having a rifle ready to go is a good thing. I'll have a second rifle standing by scoped. Hey guys it's so cool having so much knowledge standing by at all times. Thanks!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought my grandson a Henry lever youth .22 when he was 8. He still loves it 5 years later. He shoots it a lot.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Definetly agree with a bolt as opposed to an auto. Also made was a good point about a detachable mag for when it's time to clear the gun it's drop the mag and clear the chamber and done. No tube full of rounds for the boy to fumble with when cease fire is called. Can't say enough about the RAR's myself and it seems a perfect fit for what your looking for..
Best of luck shooting with the youngster whichever route you choose.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.