Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes 77 gr TMK's and 24.3 grs of TAC lit by a CCI 41 primer.

I only had a dpms A1 flash hider, it's got a 30 caliber hole in it and probably not disrupting the gas true. I don't know but it sounds good. I did read the other post about a vortex improving accuracy and remembered having similar results.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hmmm...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
shoot 69 and 25 of varget and a br4, its about like picking up a box of GMM and see how it shoots.

The only reason to have threads on a barrel is for a can or competition muzzle climb reducer

If you put one on it really needs to be bored out larger than what they typically come, around 30 cal or so for a 224 is not a bad idea. So since you have it bored out, then I think thats not the issue.

Then you have to be somewhat careful of torque, especially on a skinny tube.

I've no use for them, as soon as the rules allowed us to get rid of the flash hiders we did.

IMHO using the 69 load as a base line for every new barrel, even if you never shoot em again, is a good thing to have the data from.

I'll bet the gun isn't a bad shooter.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with trying some 69gr SMK's. The TMK's have that finicky shaped ogive, I bet they will shoot better once you figure out where to seat them though.

I'm off to test some 77's and Varget from my CLE 18" Douglas barrel.....

Last edited by wareagle700; 08/15/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ive used Vortex flash hiders for years but didn't have an extra so I put the A1 on there. Reason I had an A1 around is I use red loctite and just butt it up against the peel washer, no torque other than hand tight, per AMU I believe. I'll try it again with a Vortex I robbed from my SPR and try some different bullets. As frustrated as I was, I didn't even shoot my Noveske that well but that's been a reoccurring theme here lately.

I feel like the barrel will shoot, I just didn't have time to mess with it.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
TWR,

Have you shot the 77gr TMK's before out of an AR?

Have used the BH loading for a while and they do as well as standard 77gr Sierras, however have spent a bunch of time working up loads for them and they are extremely finicky. At least when trying to run top end loads. Guns that consistently shoot MK 262 (77gr match) at 1-1.5 MOA for ten rounds, are 2.5-5 MOA with most loads with the TMK's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My last load today:

25gr Varget with a 77gr SMK.

[Linked Image]

I think I'll give the challenge another try.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Form, I tried them in the challenge and wound up going to NBT's. These were what I thought was all I had loaded up but I found a thousand SMK's I loaded for a rainy day. Gonna try again tomorrow.

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Correction, they were NCC's that haven't been that accurate either.

Loading some 55 NBT's now.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
which of your guns was this? I have not tried varget yet with the 77's. Headed to the basement to load a few now!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This was with the 18" Douglas SPR barrel from Compass Lake Engineering. This was the best load out of the 5 I tested with Varget. Two of the other groups were right around MOA or slightly less but were at a lower powder charge. I am low on the SMK's so I am going to try the same load with some Nosler's and Hornady's this afternoon.

One thing I found out was BCM needs to supply aluminum rail sections with their KMR's. The aluminum one I had on order didn't get delivered on time. Having a consistent bipod pressure was a challenge with the plastic one.

[Linked Image]

Sorry for the hijack TWR.

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
No problem WE, I put my rail section on last night for a light mount and light mount alone. I like the light weight but seriously, a plastic rail? I need to order a few things like a sling mount and one for a bi-pod.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have seen those plastic ones.. a buddy has a few. So far so good, plastic is much better than it used to be, but for a combat/self defense I think I'd have to go AL...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Wareagle, agreed on the aluminum rail section, but for now, if you tilt the bipod legs forward the rail will not see as much torque, and should hold up better.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/16/15.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I cannot like the plastic rail sections, I need to order a couple of the 3 inch aluminum rails! $40 for two rails, seems a lot to me.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It is high for a bipod, when you can put a sling stud on the tube for a few bucks, and pop the bipod on that. Of course I don't have any of the fancy rails so there may well be a reason that woulnd't work.

I'm so simple I get an AL tube, and just put a c ouple studs in place and a short rail section if I want a light on the gun and anything else. Can't think of one that doesn't have just a short rail section. Picatinny rail base blank from Weaver or such, cut in half sometimes, drill and tap..pretty easy, fairly cheap.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yondering
Wareagle, agreed on the aluminum rail section, but for now, if you tilt the bipod legs forward the rail will not see as much torque, and should hold up better.

The pic was taken with the bipod loaded as it would be when shooting. I could not put any pressure on it at all but I have always shot better leaning into the gun. The rail is just flimsy, I really wasn't loading the bipod with much force.

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya ya we know, old, stubborn and cheap. smile

Tried 3 different loads today and swapped out the 10x super chicken for a 6x super chicken, the 77 gr Nosler Custom Competitions didn't shoot any better. The 77 gr TMK's started out fairly decent as seen on the top right target. I let it cool and tried the top left and it just got worse.

Then I tried the 55 gr NBT's and the thing came alive (bottom right), I shot 3 on another target to sight in and they were touching, adjusted the 6x MQ super chicken and shot the 5 you see.
[Linked Image]
Feed it a bullet it likes and the LaRue barrel will do well under MOA for 5, not bad for a skinny barrel!

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Continued shooting and fired 20 shots, though not from a bi-pod, and it turned out real well I think.
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My New DD will shoot 10 55 Vmax factory into 1.5, for $199 a good deal on the LaRue, not sure for $499.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,355
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.