Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks Sponxx. The Star rods, especially the Seagis model is rated pretty well on the Florida Sportsman site. They are both med action rods, so I'm hoping they work well for what I'm looking for. As you stated, I may look for a larger reel/rod combo for larger fish in the future, but I'll get my feet wet with these for now. Here in SW Florida there are good used rods and reels everywhere at a pretty good price so I'll figure out what I need/or want and go from there. The problem is these things are like rifles and hand guns, you always need just one more! Take care.

GB2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice reel, but I think they put a cheap rod on those combo sets. Looked at a Battle II 4000 combo, and even the dealer said the rod wasn't worth it.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The rods are Chinese.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have fished coastal FL waters for 45 years and have several St Croix spinning rods of various lengths and for different line classes and they are the schizzle.

You feel everything all the way through the butt.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Hard to beat St Croix! Just starting and have a couple of Star Rods and having lots of fun. Caught about a 24" snook the other day and of course released it. Just bought my snook license and looking forward to getting my first 28" legal snook for Dinner. Heard they are good eating. Tight lines for all you anglers!

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Local dirt, what do you like for reels, and what size?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
lightning, Congrats on the snook. They're a blast to catch and really fight hard. You didn't say if it was your first one or not, but you have just exposed yourself to a highly addictive sport. You can't keep anything over 34" these days. As you already know, the window starts at 28". The limit is 1 per day per angler. Also, where you're located isn't that far from my stomping grounds in my younger days. You should have redfish and trout around your area, too.

If you're fishing from Venice jetty much for snook, try this trick. If they hit it close, try to immediately get their head up. You will be surprised how many you land faster, and keep them out if the rocks. Trust me, they're very good at finding something to cut you off on. They know the drill.

And, yes, they are excellent eating. Just be sure to skin the filets. You are GTG any way you want to cook them after that. Back in the old days, nobody ate them because they had a soapy flavor if you left the skin on, hence their old nickname "soapfish".

The spinning combos I have right now are:
Daiwa 4000 on 7' St Croix Tidemaster
Daiwa 4000 on 7'6" St Croix Tidemaster
Penn 450SS on Star 6'6" Star Rod
Shimano 3500 Baitrunner on Star Rod
Shimano 4500 Baitrunner on Star Rod
Penn 750SS on Star Rod

All the Star Rods I have were mfg'd here in the good ole US of A, which was Star's heyday, IMHO, before they transferred production to China.

I used to also have a Penn 440SS on a 6'6" Star Rod, but that one was stolen. Also used to have 2 other older Penn 450SS's on Lew's Speed Sticks that were also stolen. All god setups.

Good luck!

Last edited by local_dirt; 08/31/15.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks for the info ld, and yes it was my first snook, but hopefully the first of many to come. Looking forward to the season opening tomorrow, and good luck to you also.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You're welcome, lightning.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In the pacific NW lamiglass is about the best value...tough rods and great warranty.. Don't matter if you slam it in the truck door...they have always replaced it for me....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
St Croix is great for that, too. My neighbor buddies across the street lets me fish off their docks whenever I want. One of them has a gate going out to the dock. Yep. Slammed the tip in the gate. Saw it happening in slow-mo. Couldn't grab it fast enough.

St Croix replaced the exact rod for $35.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My preference is to the Accurate 870. Sure is a nice reel. The new models are really nice too but pricy!

I caught a 44# bluefin Monday on a Spinning rod with a Fin nor reel. Had no issues with it at all. I like throwing plastic better with the spinner than the caster, but that is just me.

Last edited by dennisinaz; 09/09/15.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Can anyone offer help? I'm catching some decent sea trout on johnson silver minnows using braid with a 3' 20lb fluorocarbon leader, but I'm losing a lot of spoons to the Spanish Mackeral cutting my leader, usually right at the loop knot. An old timer told me to use about 10" of steel leader, but another one told me to go to a 40lb fluoro leader instead of steel. He said the steel leader would reduce the # of strikes considerably. What do you guys suggest? Would 40lb fluoro really stand up to the Mackeral?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're getting bit off, use the wire.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yep, Macks have scissors instead of teeth smile
Though with colder weather and water they will likely move further out.
Wire will reduce your hits, but shouldn't be too bad when working spoons vs bait/live shrimp.

Get the 30lb black coated one and crimp, if you use siny wire and clips they will hit those instead of the spoon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i use a heavy fluoro when fishing for smacks, just keep a eye on it and change it when it starts getting frayed.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Long range forecast is for 90 degree weather for the next 3 weeks or so , so they may be around for awhile. I'll pick up some wire leader and report back later. Thanks for the help.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Went to about a 15" steel leader attached to 4' of fluoro carbon leader and have caught some nice Spanish Mackeral, and not losing the spoons anymore. The Macks are also pretty good eating which surprised me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
451 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,016 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.