Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Can anyone recommend a place where one can go to watch elk bugle and work their cows? I don't want hunt but always wanted to watch the fall rut in action.

Some friends said Estes Park had a lot of elk that put on quite a show but wondered if that was something that happened there every year or if they were just lucky once.

Thoughts...recommendations?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mammoth..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yep. don't take your good car, though. watched a bull trash five or six cars in an hour last year...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Your friends are right about Estes Park. You can watch from the highway in Rocky Mountain National Park (just west of Estes Park) as the elk go into the rutt. This happens every year. Some of the bulls may be herding cows right in the middle of town. You can also watch some Darwin candidates getting too close to the bulls.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This will be an interesting year.
Paying attention, I have been wrong as many times as right.

Watching the way the days get shorted and comparing it to the moon phase...
We are heading into the brighter part of the moon the later part of September. That could delay the rut on a clear/dry year, not as loud a rut.
Being so wet/cloudy and the new moon mid September. My bet, an early loud rut starting the dark of the moon mid September.
iow: my bet slightly earlier rut.

Last part of September watching Estes in a full moon could be a memorable trip.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We got some damn good shows in Estes last September. Close to roads. I have seen it before hunting my wife never had she said " Now I know why you like to go Elk hunting" You should of seen her eyes light up when she heard that first up close Bugle.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The time that they seem to get active here in so. Idaho is during the 1st cold front or rain storm after Labor Day. They'll be bugling before that but a little cooler weather seems to heat them up.

Something else that's fun to watch is when the bulls start gathering a harem. When they get a couple cows, the meanest cow in the bunch will establish herself as the lead cow. Then she'll take off cross country on a high speed tour to get more cows. The poor bull will be dragging behind and just trying to keep up. The cow will locate the single girls but it's up to the bull to add them to his harem and to fend off the other bulls.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My sons and I were fishing the Snake River in Grand Teton NP 2 years ago in Sept and there were 4 different bulls pushing their harems around. It was a regular elk fest. The flyfishing was pretty good too!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Slippery Ann, Missouri River Breaks. mtmuley

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The west side of Rocky Mtn NP in the big draw with the camp grounds and visitor center is best place to get out of the rig and mingle a bit. I find a big rock and perch and watch the show.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by KC

Your friends are right about Estes Park. You can watch from the highway in Rocky Mountain National Park (just west of Estes Park) as the elk go into the rutt. This happens every year. Some of the bulls may be herding cows right in the middle of town. You can also watch some Darwin candidates getting too close to the bulls.

KC

This!^^^. You may not be able to get there thru the park from Estes. So you might have to come in thru Granby/Grand "Lake side. Lot of elk!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Not much going on at the National Elk Refuge right now. But you may want to check it out in about 6 weeks.

http://www.seejh.com/webcams/jacksonhole/elkrefugeeast/?live

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've never been to RMNP in the Fall, I really need to go sometime. But I'd imagine that with the elk numbers there it can be impressive.

Just a heads up for those living in the East. There is a pretty good elk population in parts of the Smoky Mt NP. I'm amazed at how many people living near there don't realize that. A few in the Cherokee area, but many more in Cataloochee Valley in the northern most part of the park.

My wife and I have camped in the area a few times during or near the rut.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Seen them collared varieties before too! This one showed up on the ranch. I'm sure he walked over from RMNP

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

Not much going on at the National Elk Refuge right now. But you may want to check it out in about 6 weeks.

http://www.seejh.com/webcams/jacksonhole/elkrefugeeast/?live

The refuge elk usually don't come down until the snow and hunters push them down, except for some of the local elk. Nothing like Estes Park and RMNP. Outside of EstesPark, Evergreen has seen rapidly increasing populations of elk - Not as many giant bulls, but those big parks around Evergreen offer some excellent viewing.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostwalker
Can anyone recommend a place where one can go to watch elk bugle and work their cows? I don't want hunt but always wanted to watch the fall rut in action.

Some friends said Estes Park had a lot of elk that put on quite a show but wondered if that was something that happened there every year or if they were just lucky once.

Thoughts...recommendations?

Every year. Can be quite a spectacle. Shot this bull that was about 15 feet from the road with a telephoto. The cow he was chasing had just crossed the road and "urbanites" closed up behind her. I was waiting for a serious injury or worse as this guy was very worked up.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 08/18/15.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the input. I think we will plan a visit to Estes Park the last part of Sept if we can make the work schedule fit.

Always wanted to see this first hand, elk are a very majestic animal.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by KC

KC

This!^^^. You may not be able to get there thru the park from Estes. So you might have to come in thru Granby/Grand "Lake side. Lot of elk!

Is there a reason why a person cannot get through the park from Estes...do they close the road or something?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yes sometimes a LOT of snow. I think it was SOP to close it around the 1st of October anyway. Check with the park website or Colorado DOT.

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
We got some damn good shows in Estes last September. Close to roads. I have seen it before hunting my wife never had she said " Now I know why you like to go Elk hunting" You should of seen her eyes light up when she heard that first up close Bugle.

Took my wife archery hunting in Wyoming last year. She later said, "I see how this could get addicting. She's coming with me again this year."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.