Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi all,

Well the old desktop packed it in and with the kids getting back to school soon we are looking to replace it with a laptop for the family to use. That means I get to use it for photo editing too. I would love some advice on a good unit for this.

I've always had PCs, but we all have iPads and the adults have iPhones as well as Apple TV too, so the Macs are drawing me in, especially with the retina displays. I have Lightroom 5. Wondering if anyone has experience with running this on a Mac? Thinking either the 13" rMBP or the new rMB. I would add the Time Capsule for either instead of juicing the internal memory. Don't want to break the bank on the unit. Thoughts?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Hard to go wrong with a MacBook Pro, and unless you're editing very large files you likely won't need the fastest, top of the line model. The retina display is worth it. I have a MacBook Air, non-retina, and switching from it to my iPad air (retina) is like night and day in terms of screen detail. I bought the MacBook Air so that I could have the thinnest laptop possible for travel; were I not concerned with that, I would have bought a retina MacBook Pro.

I haven't run Lightroom on it yet, as I do almost everything I want to do with the "pictures" application that came with the computer. What I can't do with that I do with photoshop elements or Snapseed on my iPad.

Last edited by Oregon45; 08/15/15.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks. The rMBP and the new MB are the same base price. rMBP has an SD card reader and the MB doesn't. Not too worried about weight for this use. Looks like the rMBP is the way to go between the three.

Thoughts on getting the 128 GB hard drive and adding an external portable or Time Capsule?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've used a rMBP for over a year... I can't believe I waited this long to make the leap! I have minimal on board memory and used external memory for everything. Files/Photos. I use a Time Capsule for backup.
I've run LR4, 5 and now 6 on it....

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. I picked up the rMBP today and I'm trying to learn all the differences.

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.