Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Guys I need this stock and action for a 'Carlos' build, every thing fits including SN range, two things I do not want are welded up holes in rear bridge or a cracked up stock, the barrel does not matter. thanks in advance ,v best WinPoor
http://www.gunsamerica.com/925656907/Winchester-Pre-War-M70-30-06.htm

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 08/15/15.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
After looking at it several times, I can tell it had a Stilth ( sp?) mount and scope on it. v best winpoor

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First Stop is reputable. The stock has been refinished, perhaps sanded a bit; there may be a tang crack,very minor and not a disqualifier by any means. You are going to need to strip the finish, do it right, and make that crack all but disappear if it is a crack in the first place. Have Ahlman's in MN recut the checkering when you are done refinishing it. It is an honest gun.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Mr sbrmike, ,does Ahlman's refinish as well as recut checkering? I have 4 uncut std and one fwt with the wrong recoil pad that all need a refinish job. Sir if so and you know about their work, please send contact info. There was someone on here when I first came to the fire that had killer wood refinish skills and I have misplaced his info, my gunsmith does good wood work but they stay up to eyeballs in alligators, Ive had 2 guns with them for 7 mos....very best winpoor

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Winpoor always finds interesting pieces. This is a great looking rifle even with the refinished stock. It has been awhile since I saw Hathcocks rifle. Did it alter the gun in any way or did it just use existing scope mount holes? Did it have a standard weight barrel? I would vote against any modification including re-cutting the checkering. I am an admirer of honest used guns and knives that show a lifetime of use. There are so few unaltered pre war guns out there I feel they should be left alone. When I see an old model 70 that is that is honest and find it has been glass bedded, I want to drown little kittens. But that is just me.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you throw peep sight or piece of Picatinny rail on front bridge plus electro-optical sight like Aimpoint H-1 this would make nice brush or running game rifle. Personally I would buy new Featherweight for less. You would have new rifle with three position safety and rear bridge tapped for scope base.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Winpoor always finds interesting pieces. This is a great looking rifle even with the refinished stock. It has been awhile since I saw Hathcocks rifle. Did it alter the gun in any way or did it just use existing scope mount holes? Did it have a standard weight barrel? I would vote against any modification including re-cutting the checkering. I am an admirer of honest used guns and knives that show a lifetime of use. There are so few unaltered pre war guns out there I feel they should be left alone. When I see an old model 70 that is that is honest and find it has been glass bedded, I want to drown little kittens. But that is just me.

45 Miles up the road at the Marine depot ,rebuild shop they opened the barrel channels on the sporters and put Winchester Med Heavy contour Douglas XX air gauged barrels on em, drilled em for scope blocks and put the old 8x and a few 10X Unertls on em. Well U can drown bobcats if I get this one home! v best winpoor

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 79S

Thanks my fellow winchester loon... v best winpoor

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 08/16/15.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Slavek
If you throw peep sight or piece of Picatinny rail on front bridge plus electro-optical sight like Aimpoint H-1 this would make nice brush or running game rifle. Personally I would buy new Featherweight for less. You would have new rifle with three position safety and rear bridge tapped for scope base.

My friend you are missing the whole point! That gun is a shooter not a collector, Im building a Marine" Carlos Hathcock" , same SN range, pre war clip slot, Douglas,Win med heavy 3006 sniper gun ,correct to last detail gun! Ive seen em sell for 5K ! check out Texas Brigade Armory web site....
http://www.texasbrigadearmory.com/
You do what you want with yours and I will not be drowning the yellow housecat!
v best WinPoor

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Here you go Po-lock or Slavek or who ever!!!
http://www.texasbrigadearmory.com/m70.htm
very best WinPoor

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
This 1955 might be too early,but a nice rifle.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/65/lid/3680

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
WP, don't let him dust your feathers up. He's tryin' real hard to rile ya.

BTW, sounds like a real cool project.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This might help, winpoor.

[Linked Image]

yooper

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RogerD
This 1955 might be too early,but a nice rifle.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/65/lid/3680

Hi RogerD, My current "Carlos" is a stone cold stock 56' Target on a sporter stock, it was civilian and had very few rounds down the tube when I got her, I'm going for a true un -drilled rear bridge pre- war with cloverleaf tang in the correct SN range for this build, TBA was very good but Mike is getting some age on him now and my last buddy that had one done was like a 2 yr wait, I'm to damn old for that kind of wait now, My biggest problem now is finding the correct 8X scope and having the parts anodized black as was correct, the USMC marked ones are going for 5K so I'm now going down that road, that one marking will be the only thing that is not to the last detail, Carlos never used the scope spring and pulled the scope back to battery by hand each shot, I may or may not remove the spring on mine...Ive been offered some big bucks several times for my Carlos, but the damn thing is just pure azz lucky when I take him whitetail hunting, last year I did not even make it half way to stand before I spotted a nice freezer buck, I had to crawl 30 yards to get the shot but it ended up being about 330 paces, the buck went down like a sack of cow feed, I lost him in the scope so fast I thought I had missed him, Im not bad about missing, The guys had left my house to run to store 6 mi away for a case of 8 oz bud lites ( I call em baby blues or blue gills , they get ice cold and go down in 3 sips )and when they returned I was waiting and wanted help loading , field dressing and getting to our processor.... they could not believe 20 min earlier I had told em' to hurry up I was going to get a deer! I can feel when they will move up here on river! Ive hunted here 30 years, I feed the does but have never shot one! The does are the very best BUCK bait made!!!! Ive got pix somewhere.. the very best WinPoor
Remember the toes you step on going up! ,they may be attached to the azz you kiss going down!!! Adolph Brock Jr.
[Linked Image]
Another 'Carlos freezer buck!
[Linked Image]
A custom 25-06 , 53' 70, with a shilen barrel and Borden RimRock stock, my foul weather pre 64....
[Linked Image]
Prob, same deer after field dressing, same cloths. I could post mod 70 deer pix all day long!
[Linked Image]
A good one as I was HORN hunting on this one!
[Linked Image]
I spring turkey hunt with my GrandDads ,Adolph Sr, model 97, still using paper hull no.2 high brass, 30" full choke, damn thing shoots like a rifle and leaves a blue spot on shoulder every time, Do not have back to a big white oak when you drop the hammer! Im speaking from experience!
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
A .264 early std. that was unfired since Winchester stamped the WP on, then a freezer buck on shot 9 after scope and tune up. I will keep and fair weather hunt this one till the bitter end, Grandson or nephew will get this one as it took me 30 years to find it!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I could post these all day as we get to nail 12 goats a year,I put first 2 in my freezer, then I have some tree hugger friends that do not hunt but love the meat plus and old mentor that cannot hunt anymore. I have em field dressed and at the processors cooler in less than 45 min.Ive slowed down now as I used to stop at number 5 then start 'HORN' hunting for the old ghost that has been putting the slip on me for about 6 years!!!
I do not know if I nailed this one or put my burnt out BIL on him,either way a nice river buck!
[Linked Image]
edit, I neck shot him with 'Carlos'
Here is a dink he shot! LOL
[Linked Image]
Freezer buck shot within 15 min opening day many years ago, biggest thing about him was nuts!
[Linked Image]
Same opening day dink I think My stand is at edge of woods over shoulder, look to the right of hand and finger pointed up head on front shot was all he would give me! Notice the shadows, I shot him walked to river house and got truck all before the sun was up good! 245 yard shot, bang flop like you wilted him in track! That is what I do, I want nothing to suffer nor run, I want his mind on a does azz one second and in deer heaven in blink of eye!!! When I was young my Dad who taught me to shoot Winchesters on his Grandfathers gun would say! Buddy drop him and dont waste ANY meat! I started ear shooting and a 10 point would only give me white spot on throat up at 200, I was shooting an 06 BOSS and hit him between eyes so hard the rack split side to side! 165 gr fed prem BT's.This dink was heavy and fat! I have a problem up here with horns not matching body size! Ive killed 200lb deer with little basket racks!The wildlife managers say I need to shoot em, they also say I need to shoot the does BUT I dam sure will not!I know how a good looking WOMAN can trap me!!! The Bucks are the same!! I started doing neck and leaving ear and head shots alone as that split head deer would have been worth mounting! 130 point B&C that is nice for SW GA!
[Linked Image]
Post 64's shoot too! I was burning woods in Feb and this one went to trotting at 210 yards, mange coyote meets 110 gr accubond from a Coyote Lite in 25 WSSM! Edit, photo on next post.

Enough photobucket! very best WinPoor

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Oh Hell a few more of hunting , flying, fishing , and just get in trouble with best friends and burnt out BIL!
[Linked Image]
Two bucks in one shot, I just could not help myself, It was 11:00 AM one morning on the day time changed to daylight saving!
[Linked Image]
Coyote meets coyote lite!
[Linked Image]
A feb. burning woods off coyote.
[Linked Image]
My favorite litter of bulldog pups back in the day!
[Linked Image]

very best Winchester guys! WinPoor
Guys Winchester made very few pistols SOOOO I have to settle on Colts!
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo308/winchesterpoor/P1010110.jpg[/img]

v best WP

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
10,666 hrs of THIS bought the Winchesters!
[Linked Image]
v best winpoor

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
WP I have a Colt Match Target as well but with a 4 inch barrel. Shot it this weekend as a matter of fact. I had forgotten how much fun it was. It doesn't appear you shoot yours. I wish I could find a good holster for mine.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have 2, one I had for 30 years, well worn, I had it ceracoated, my daughter has it now and can shoot it as well as me! This one was mint and Ive run prob. 500 rounds of sub sonis match S&K,Lapua,Wolf thru it! very best WinPoor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
829 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 75 invisible), 3,261 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,301
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.