Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shhhhhh

I'm currently working the Minnesota bunch, trying to convince em' to let me finish this with Gold, Platinum, Silver, and precious jools.

Ha,....solid old working gun with a buttplate that looks like it was ripped off from the Vatican.

Rubies ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Artistry in the room, quiet please! grin Proper reverence must be given to this work of art!

Ed

I STILL can't believe how cleanly that cut with a torch. Those old Swedes knew what they were about when they called something steel.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
LOL if I had rubies we could bling it out!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Artistry in the room, quiet please! grin Proper reverence must be given to this work of art!
Ed
I STILL can't believe how cleanly that cut with a torch. Those old Swedes knew what they were about when they called something steel.GTC

It's called pride in craftsmanship, Greg. Something you and others like you with an appreciation for quality and willingness to maintain that quality are gifted with.

I do enjoy watching you work.

Thanks for sharing this journey with us.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Albeit a bit cool and breezy, this seemed to be the right morning to tackle this,.....

[Linked Image]

Half the fun of this game can be building fixtures and shop accessories, so an empty Dos Equis box was chosen as the "Tig Booth" and some 3.5 Nickle rod was blorped around with an air cooled torch, a 3/32" Lanthanated Tungsten, under a somewhat porous and flighty pure argon shield.

[Linked Image]

A bit of hacking, grinding, and filing ensued. I had been concerned about this Fine Swede steel perhaps going glass
hard , actually went in the opposite direction and the whole piece went dead soft, and to consistency that "pins" a file in short order.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The belt sander and some 3M Rolox discs in an air grinder got the sucker's attention though,.....

[Linked Image]

I LIKE the way this turned out, and as far as I can see this Buttplate is deeper and wider than anything out there available on the commercial supply line. Damn good way to tame the hard kickers, I reckon. The current condition of finish is really overkill, and once the piece is inletted into the buttstock, some more filing and grinding will be inevitable. Oh, and YES, that is a high spot down by that screw hole,......it'll all buff out on fitting, and adjustment of the final shape. (and that can take as long or longer than all of the roughing thus far) whistle

[Linked Image]

Time to fire up a tractor,....see ya'll later.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/19/15.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Greg,

Amazing work as always. I love the way it looks and even better is that you are able to use so many pieces from other old firearms to do it. I am sure my dad will chime in here or with a phone call soon enough.

Jim Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Got some new pictures from Greg of the fitting of the forearm.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Like always I will let Greg describe what he is doing if he wants to chime in. I am more and more excited everytime I see pictures of this rifle. I have a feeling it is going to make my father and I speechless when we see it in person.

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing of earthshaking magnitude taking place there, Mack.
Simple concentric drilling and tapping ( 10-32 ), to secure the forend .

The little portable SHOP was shaking, though,....I'll just post what I e-Mailed to you and Dabble.

....this evening
Wild azzed Monsoonal event, and a thunder and light show to remember....rotary wind and .70" rain in 10 minutes.
Palominas, just off to my South got TWO (2) inches in about the same length of time, with crazy hail, and 70 MPH wind.

And (following day)
A common hardware (Ace) grade "Stainless 3/8' Bolt" came home today, and by evening had morphed into a well fitted estucheon . Nice tough material,....no IDEA what grade,....and a LONG way from being very concentric,.....the shank a full .005" under called out dia., so I used the head to get a decent fitup in the upper regions of it's intended recess .

Cheers !

GTC

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So Greg has gotten the rifle to a close to finish state. A couple more decisions to make about bluing and finish of the wood but it looks like a complete rifle now and I love it. I can't wait to see it in person and put some lead down the barrel.

I will always be in awe of Gregs handwork and artistry in putting not only all the pieces together but understanding how to make this a special rifle in the eyes of my father and I.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Up 'til now I've been gagging on thinners fumes (MVP&Naptha) whilst trying to get a half decent pic of this nicely figured furniture as it flashes off in August Az. heat.

Finish "roughed" to a rough #180 grit, and a few toolmarks still visible, it got it's first "soak" of EXTREMELY thin oil finish yesterday evening, and will get one or two coats a day until provisionally "sealed".The next two / three coats will just use the rifle itself to fixture the work. This is a "Never sweat" approach, and beats the crap outta' dangling things on wire. The metal won't care, at this point,and gummy residues wipe off handily. MAY be shooting it before dismantling and starting the metal finishing,...hope so, anyway.

Everybody that's picked this one up and mounted it has commented on how well it "hangs", and balances.It's going to be "Lively" with 550 grain loads. One would not want to use this barrel profile with anything smaller than a .45 caliber, you'd wind up with something clubbish..I'd REALLY like to assemble one in .50-70

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looks wonderful! smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got enough roller odds and ends put by to build one, up to and including a completely ridiculous set of very old Navy Arms Italllllian stocks,....replete with a bizarre brass butt plate.

Noodling around with something larger than 50, ....a BPCR pressure Hubel #,....based on 20 or 16 ga.brass, and tossing BIG balls and punkins.Just may have landed on the quintessential American single shot hunting arm here,....fewest parts, and beyond any shadow of doubt, the QUIETEST.

Spent too many YEARS immersed in this "Buffalo Gun" and Creedmoor rifle game, I think,....and the appeal of a short, balanced, and fast swinging HUNTING rifle had apparently gone into dormancy.

I think from here on out I'll be confining this shops attentions and ministrations to guns weighing OVER 20 pounds, or UNDER 10.

This particular setup we've been writing / illustrating on was intended to be a sorta' "show and tell" outside of that commercial Larry Potterfield league guff....we wound up with Bud Light metal married to Finest 100 year old Cognac wood,....and all involved are a bit confused now, this scribe, in particular. A "where do we go from here?" situation.

Roller's just don't have any "curbside appeal".

Looks like it's course is about run, and with any kinda' luck, I'll shoot some "low and slow" hand rolled into paper, this coming Wed.

Fun project, all the way through.

GTC

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
1 week to go!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted by mack5511
It's good to see this all coming together,....and It's been a FINE "Campfire Project" ! The use of good American Allen Screws/Bolts to assemble and disassemble this piece( repeat that 40-50 times with me)saw them "lapped in",...using a bit of Symachrome mixed with TC1000 contributing thereto.They glide in and out of their appointed threaded holes with ease and grace. In finishing up /final detailing I assembled and torqued things to their happy mode, and than INDEXED the Allens in fore and aft mode. Their hex recesses were than bored out, and the new holes flooded with 56% Silver. Slotted .025" in the Mill, they appear in raw form below.[Linked Image]
Things really start to wake up, after a ride in the niter bluing salts. Were one to get really serious about the "Blinged Out", or "Pimp my Jezzail" look, he could spend a little time with his gravers and needle files, working those round recesses into little sunbursts or flowers,.....or something from Weird "Oz" place populated by witches and little girls,abbrogated and stolen by uppity knee-grows, and other fantastical poofinesses.
This rifle's going to a family of Loggers and sailers, so I passed on that opportunity.Anyway, these screws make for a nice little detail, and always look good when the Sun catches it just right.A dab of sight black whilst hunting?....I just might,....although I wouldn't sneeze at some blue tape.It WOULD be fun to toss some of the bored out and indexed screws to a competent engraver sometime, and see what one might do , by way of Silver flooding the finished / engraved result, and than polishing it out. I CAN tell you this, these screw heads grab onto a properly fitting screwdriver like there's no tomorrow, and stand up well, over the long haul.

[Linked Image]
Here's a look at the other screws, parts, pieces that got the Niter salts treatment.
This brings us to the close of this episode of "Pimp my Roller", ...join us in the next installment, when the "artisan learns how to break tiny little taps, and pull large balls of hair out, making a strange Rifle / Shotgun front sight.

[Linked Image]

I have to go drop off some repaired ancient double gun trigger group,
and check the Swap meet out for likely plunder. ....back later,

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 11/28/15.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mack5511

I don't think there's a picture in existence of the Remington 760 sporter blade I used to do the initial dial in and firing test with,....the one on the right, below.
.....good thing, too, it looked as out of place as a tailfin on a model A

[Linked Image]
An old Badger barrel "crop" , from some long gone "length v. BP Velocities" test for a magazine article had a clean 3/8" dovetail that I cut,....golly, maybe 14 years ago ? .....Nice, handy "jig / fixture" for working an a sight blank, in this case the "extra tall" piece that was chosen to replace the tail fin.
[Linked Image]
Zipped off to the height of the tailfin +.025"
[Linked Image]
A little chainsaw file work ensues, and a little tubular piece spooled up in the lathe
[Linked Image]
Some Harris Welco 56% Silver and some white "Stay Silv" flux put into play
[Linked Image]
I'd LIKE to say the piece was threaded in the set up in the pic below,
.....broke the little 3-56 tap,....should have chosen a #44 drill for the harder material blush. A new tubular piece was spooled up, and TAPPED prior to soldering, on the next go round. Plugged the tapped hole with soapstone, prior to firing the two pieces together,...got it right on the second try.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quick shot of cold blue, and a fit check are where the deal sits,...need to bore sight it and put a witness mark,...than maybe Niter Blue or Rust Brown it
[Linked Image]
I LIKE the idea of changeable beads,....sure don't like the idea of changing them anywhere but on a well lit bench,....if you thought front inserts were a bit fussy to handle, you wouldn't care for the demand place on clumsy old hands getting that little bastid planted in the right place
[Linked Image]
I personally would choose to FLATTEN the face of that round bead,against glare on one side pulling one's sight picture off.Hell, I'd use IVORY. Fun being able to say at this point I'm just the mechanic grin
[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 11/28/15.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,873 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,535
Posts18,453,012
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.