Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
... he being me, of course. In 6 days I leave for Zimbabwe and my first hunt in Africa: 12 days in the Bubye Conservancy with John Sharp, hunting Cape Buffalo, and if I'm lucky (and shoot straight) I may even hunt for some of the non-DG species that abound in that part of the world... "ordinary" stuff like eland, kudu, and warthog.

This hunt has been almost 4 years in the making. I first discussed it with Jorge back in 2010, when we were hunting bufflers with EvilTwin and eh76 in Wyoming, and he put the bug in my ear and somehow I just couldn't get that earworm out. I started doing some research online, looking at locations,costs, and most important, who I wanted to hunt with, as in PH.

Fast forward to Dallas Safari Club in January of 2012. Having narrowed down my search some, I met Jorge at the expo and he introduced me to a couple of gentlemen of his acquaintance, and I spent the better part of a day "interviewing" 5 different PH's. Three were in Zimbabwe, two in Tanzania. I'd already ruled out South Africa for a couple of reasons I won't go into depth on, suffice to say the wildness of the country I was looking for wasn't there (and the prices were high). By the end of the day I had narrowed my choice down to two men: John Sharp, and Lou Halloran, both Zimbabweans and both legendary PH's. After a long night of thinking (and drinking, I'll admit, there was a wee bit o' scotch involved) the next morning I got up and rolled into the expo at the crack of noon. I walked up to John and shook his hand, and gave him a check to secure my hunt. Initially we booked for 2014, but a little speedbump in the road called a divorce postponed my plans by a year.

I've met with John each year since, in '13, '14, and '15 at DSC. In the past 8 months we've emailed back and forth a couple dozen times. A score of different tough decisions have been agonized over and finally booked, including flights (biz class), whether I'll hunt alone or bring The Redhead with me (alone), whether to hire a videographer (nope), and so forth. I've gone through 5 rifles trying to decide what I want to use on this trip, and a couple dozen handloads in the process. (FWIW, I'm taking a Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H, loaded with 300 gr Swift A-frames @2500 fps muzzle velocity and 300 gr Hornady DG Solids at the same speed as my ONLY rifle for this hunt. If I see a world class dik-dik and decide to take him, the taxidermist will just have to patch a bigger hole.)

And now it's time to finalize my lists... all the stuff I'm packing, making sure I don't miss anything. Gun, ammo, cameras, batteries, clothes, etc, etc, etc... Bose headset for peace and quiet on the plane, digital voice recorder to record the fireside conversations... I'm still debating whether to take a GoPro, I've got a couple more days to get that fixed. Oh, and there's a few things I'm bringing at John's request, including a few tins of Skoal Long Cut, which isn't available in Zim or RSA!

Sure don't want to forget anything, but I'm equally sure that I will. So I'm makin' my lists, and checkin' 'em twice, and then doin' it all over again.

Damn, this is fun.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a wonderful time. Hope all goes well, and you knock over some big ones!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, the planning and anticipation is wonderful. Didn't see bios on your list.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Yep, the planning and anticipation is wonderful. Didn't see bios on your list.

You got that right. Sounds like loads of fun to me, from the researching, planning, then execution.......fantastic! Here's to you having the time of your life Doc. Please take plenty of pics to show us.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, Jorge, I've got a set of Nikon Monarch 8X bino's ready to go. If I actually printed out the whole list it would take a full page of forum... crazy

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You need to get a bottle of scotch at the duty free store. John stated he wasn't well versed in all the brands, but hasn't come across one yet that he wouldn't enjoy.

He enjoyed the MacAllan I brought, and I seem to recall a couple bottles of Balvenie and Highland Park in his wet cabinet.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Forget the Go Pro...The scoth at duty free in Joburg is a good idea...if you can get it into your luggage ( I don't know if you can carry on liquor...) Whilst there, pick up a carton of Marlboros, they are the world standard and appreciated by trackers etc...but let John dole them out.
TAKE FEWER CLOTHES AND MORE MONEY!
Laundry is done daily and your personal 'laundry list' may change daily...as in " what is the trophy fee on those....?" grin
If I were to do anything Id take a spare digital point and shoot style camera, one simple enough for a tracker to use. Thank me later.
You were wise to not take the redhead. Women love todays plains game safaris, but will find the Big Game hunting a bit boring, for a lot of reasons.
If you take anything for the blacks, make it something useful like warm knit hats ( toques) or ski masks. They suffer in the morning cold. They have all the logo ball caps and t-shirts they can use.
I always liked to take a well worn pair of thin leather gloves for threading my way through the thorn.
Think minimalist approach.
Did I mention to take less clothes and more money?

Drink in every moment of it.
Live life to its fullest my friend.

Last edited by ingwe; 08/18/15.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm taking notes....
Thanks boys.
Have a ball Doc.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The spare camera is the way to go in fact take 2 for the trackers. You will get some good pictures.

Something the trackers like is extra socks and or gloves. i asked for the number of people in camp and had a pair of socks for each and extra set for the head tracker.

I also passed out a tooth brush and tooth paste the travel kind that cost $1. Stocking caps are enjoyed and so are long sleeve shirts if you know the size.

As for the scotch i pack it in the states as cost wise it is a wash. and then you have it wrapped in clothing and then i use a 2 gal zip lock bag to go around this.

I tend to leave most of my shoes and clothing over there and as mentioned ask John to pass out the items with you by his side. I cover this the night before at the camp fire with my PH so we are on the same page...

What ever you do have a great time and enjoy the experience.

Last edited by Bwana338; 08/18/15.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
+1 on leaving a lot of your clothing there.
I never kitted out in all new stuff( like everyone else you'll see...) and often left stuff they could use...jackets( Carhartts are particularly nice over there for the thorn) and as Bwana mentioned, socks, gloves etc.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doc,

I see, you forgo your plans to take the 9,3x74R.

While you were deadly with it, that was the only rifle, I could not hit worth a damn with at the hog hunt.

Back to the sigelines now, letting the grown ups play, while I watch in awe.

Best wishes

C

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a great hunt, Doc!

Eric

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
James do you need me to go so i can poke that bull with a stick to get him good and pissed offed first?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ha. You know he would, James. Give me a call when you get back so we can set up some ndg dove hunts. NDG except for the buzztails, that is.

Take card and good fortune. Eye

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
James do you need me to go so i can poke that bull with a stick to get him good and pissed offed first?

grin tried to convince him to let me play cinematographer for him free of charge awhile back grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Carl..

Yes, the 9.3X74R was the fourth rifle I ended up rejecting for this hunt. Two reasons: first, even the most stout factory ammo I could find would only hit 2250 fps with 286 gr bullets, and when I built handloads that would hit 2350 fps, it kicked the snot out of me. That little rifle is simply too small to fit my frame. I ended up buying the Kimber in no small part because the stock is big and stout, and long enough for a guy my height to shoot comfortably.

However, I must say that when firing the nice Nosler Custom ammo I bought for it, the 9.3X74R shoots beautifully, accurately, and would be absolutely deadly on anything one might want to shoot in North America short of the big bears, provided the stock fits one well enough. Did I mention that it's for sale? Bargain price, too!

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
eyeball, stxhunter... if'n I brung you two along it would be a guaran-phuggin-teed mess... but thanks for the offers! I'll get together with y'all after I get back so we can whack some doves/nilgai, etc...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Did you get your loads square Doc?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your life is about to change forever. Best of luck and can't wait to see the photos.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinThere wuz an OLD Saturday morning TV series. "Raymar of the Jungle" Well Doc, is that you now?? grin Whatever happened to the 375 Ruger?? grin grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.