D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Did you get your loads square Doc?

Yes, per text!

For the rest of yez... I talked to Jorge in a mild state of anxiety on Tuesday evening after an odd occurrence at the range that day. I've been shooting my 375 just about every day for the past month, mostly practice loads (300 gr Sierra GK's @1800fps), 20-30 shots per session. I did my game load workup a couple months ago, but as I don't want to use up my supply of (expensive) A-frames, I have limited use of my game loads somewhat (300 gr Swift A-Frames @ 2500 fps).

Anyway, on Tuesday I went out to the range after work about 6 pm, and put 40 or so practice loads downrange, then decided to shoot some game loads. I was surprised to find they recoiled much heavier than I had noticed before, and bolt lift was decidedly sticky. I called Jorge to discuss on my drive home, and only after we started talking about it did I realize I'd left my hunting loads in the truck all day. It's been running 105 degrees every day here lately, so I decided the loads must have been pretty hot from sitting in the truck.

Sure enough, when I rechecked them this morning, there were no signs of high pressure, and the chrono told me they were performing as expected... about 2450-2470 fps. I guess I can now say I've proven that letting ammo sit in a hot car(inner temps must have been close to 150 degrees, I'm guessing) prior to shooting it is NOT a good idea!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
grinThere wuz an OLD Saturday morning TV series. "Raymar of the Jungle" Well Doc, is that you now?? grin Whatever happened to the 375 Ruger?? grin grin

I sold that rifle, Jim. After killing my buffler heifer with it on that hunt in '10, I never shot it again. Dunno, it just didn't speak to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John was sold on woodleigh bullets for buffalo when i hunted with him. Has he changed his mind? I had a good northfork load I was using and made the change to the woodleigh and four hits later I had my old daggaboy on the ground!

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Hey, muygrande, John does like his Woodleighs still, but he's also had good success with the A-Frames and endorses them as well.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Pack your camera, bino's, extra set of clothes, and a hat in your carry on in case your luggage doesn't show up. That way you still have your travel clothes you "could" hunt in and a set of hunting clothes. Ask me how I know.....

Good luck, shot straight, and have FUN!

-Todd

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Hey, muygrande, John does like his Woodleighs still, but he's also had good success with the A-Frames and endorses them as well.

That's all that old hard ass like! Tried to covert him to CEBs and even TSXs and he wanted nothing to do with them! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John is about as "old school" as one can be...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Certainly on the same page with Todd on his point "fly in what you can hunt in! I had to borrow two rifles from John until all my gear arrived in camp on the third day of my hunt! I knew when i ran thru Dulles to catch my flight that my bags would never make the trip. Then we pulled away from the ramp and sat for almost two hours awaiting catch up fr thunder storms! Enjoy your levis on your flight as you may get to know them very well! Just enjoy every minute and tell John howdy from muygrande in Texas.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My wife, Lynda hunted with John in June/14 and she was nice enough to let me go along. She hunted with a 300 Win mag and a 375 Imp HH. She took a huge male Leopard with a 17 and a half inch skull, Buffalo, 2 Zebra, Jackal, and the blackest Giraffe I have ever seen. We saw all the big Five animals while we were there. Was a great hunt for me on a personal basis, and I never took a gun with me and never picked one up to hunt while we were there. It was all about Lynda. She killed her animals as efficiently as any man will ever do. I am extremely proud of her.
John is a great guy, and it was great to hunt with him..guys kinda a legend in the Africa hunting fields. We left feeling that we had a new lifelong friend. Please tell him that Lynda and Billy say hello and our best wishes to him.

Go have fun!
Billy

Turn em loose ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bonn voyage Doc
Have a great trip and tell and show when you get back. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doc,

Take Cipro for serious Montezuma. Take a suture kit and some lidocaine- somebody always seems to slice something. General antibiotic and analgesic of choice. Toradol 10mg works wonders on everything including hangover. smile
Diphenhydramine, sun screen and bug repellent. Tsetse are the worst. Some golf or baseball batting gloves will save you hands from tsetse and thorns if you run into either. Fingernail clippers.

Wish I was going with you, but have a cold one around the fire for me. Also, enjoy Sharpe's stories. Amazing, they are.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good luck, Doc.

The two truest statements about Africa are:

Everybody takes too much stuff.

Everybody brings home too much stuff, especially an addiction to Africa.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Good luck, Doc.

The two truest statements about Africa are:

Everybody takes too much stuff.

Everybody brings home too much stuff, especially an addiction to Africa.

Guilty on both accounts.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I do know a few people who've only gone to Africa once, but not many!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doc, I'd take the GoPro. Let someone else wear the damn thing, maybe one of your trackers. Most of them are good for 3-4 hours of HD footage on one charge, and you'll bring back memories from another POV.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I hope you have a freakin' awesome time cool

If ya can swing it, make sure those watch caps, gloves and socks you might bring as gifts are real wool.

One more thing.... dental floss, for yourself. Paraphrasing what the the Brits used to say about their officer's revolvers: 'A man will not need his dental floss very often, but when he does he will need it badly'. I doubt they will have it in the bush.

And disposable lens cloths for the optics, you can get 'em by the 100 for like $5 at WalMart, they pack real easy and IME are always appreciated by those who use glass for a living in places where you can't easily get them.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, lads, I'm on my way. I've taken as much of the above advice as I can, packed my bags to within a gram of the maximum limit of 50 pounds (American Airlines), and I'll just have to make do without whatever I haven't got.

Hatari, thanks for the reminder on the medical stuff... somehow that's always the last thing I remember to take on a long hunting trip. I've got a big medical bag I bring to sporting events with just about everything in it, but obviously I can't bring that with me on this jaunt, so I packed up a bare minimum of stuff. I have my blow-out bag from my SWAT days, some non-sterile instruments like forceps and iris scissors for things like thorns and such. I brought a sterile suture kit with half a dozen packs of suture material (I can re-sterilize the instruments by boiling if needed), and several vials of injectable antibiotics, steroids, pain meds, etc. My local pharmacist set me up with a sschitload of Cipro, Metronidazole, cephalexin, etc. I can leave that stuff in Zim when I leave, I'm sure John will be able to use it if he has a need to.

I took my rifle to the range yesterday for one last zero check. I have two scopes ready, both in Talley QD mounts and zero'd the same: my primary, a Trijicon 1-4X illuminated triangle post reticle, and a Nikon Monarch 2-7X duplex reticle. Using the 300 gr A-Frames, I'm 3" high at 100, 3" low at 200, and dead on at 150 and 30. Irons are dead-on at 25 with both the A-Frames and solids. I feel confident about bullet placement at any range out to 200 with this rifle and load.

I've got a long layover here in Dulles, which may give me time to find a couple-three things I still could use, like dental floss and lens wipes... after this, I'll likely not be on the 'Fire for 2 weeks. See y'all on the flip side.

Last edited by DocRocket; 08/24/15.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bye Doc!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Safe travels!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You Ludicrous double plus SUCK!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.