Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had range officer duty at my gun club last weekend and normally don't bring a shotgun to shoot...just to busy. There was a regional skeet shoot in Pa so most of the weekend skeet shooters were gone but the 5-stand shooters showed up.

One of my shooting buddy's offered to let me to shoot his Caesar Guerini 28 gauge with 32 inch barrels at 5 stand. What a sweet little shotgun. I prefer longer light weight barrels on my target guns and this little gem of a 28 gauge was the epitome of a smooth swinging shooting machine. Those who have shot a 28 gauge like me find it difficult to discern the bird breaks from a 28 versus a 20.

I have a 28 gauge and don't shoot it much but fell in love with the long barreled Caesar Guerini. Now I am on the hunt for one of my own.

Doc

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Used a Model 37 28Ga last year for the first time on Grouse and stocked Pheasants.

The Pheasants out for a week or more were often getting up out a way and were strong flyers. Couple 30-35 yard Birds that just folded from the 28 were something I didn't expect.

Fiocchi Golden Pheasant shells. No 6's. Maybe 5's, can't remember.

Last edited by battue; 08/12/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My 28 ga. Benelli with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 6's never ceases to amaze on pheasant.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have a Beretta 471 in a 20 with 26" barrels and an AYA 4/53 in a 28 with 28" tubes and with those same Fiocchis I cannot tell a difference on pheasants.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A 28 ga Remington 1100 Sporting Clays model is my favorite for all types of bird hunting except for Ducks. During our annual Dove Season, I regularly kill birds out to the same ranges as my buddies who are all shooting 12 gauges.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
I had range officer duty at my gun club last weekend and normally don't bring a shotgun to shoot...just to busy. There was a regional skeet shoot in Pa so most of the weekend skeet shooters were gone but the 5-stand shooters showed up.

One of my shooting buddy's offered to let me to shoot his Caesar Guerini 28 gauge with 32 inch barrels at 5 stand. What a sweet little shotgun. I prefer longer light weight barrels on my target guns and this little gem of a 28 gauge was the epitome of a smooth swinging shooting machine. Those who have shot a 28 gauge like me find it difficult to discern the bird breaks from a 28 versus a 20.

I have a 28 gauge and don't shoot it much but fell in love with the long barreled Caesar Guerini. Now I am on the hunt for one of my own.

Doc
32" on a 28G?? WOW.

I have an SKB 3-barrel skeet set and I have to admit I love that 28 ga. It's just SO fun to shoot:

[Linked Image]

Hope you find your shotgun.. Best wishes..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Redneck,

You sure are fond of the SKB shotguns. You must have hand picked the wood for your 3 barrel set.....very nice piece of lumber.

Must would assume a 32" sporting shotgun would be front heavy to swing and not the case. The manufacturers offering
32 " barrels are tapering the barrels they swing smoother than a non-tapered 30 inch....IMO.

Doc

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Put together a Superlte (Excuse me Browning) 870 28ga for my youngest daughter to pop Doves.

[Linked Image]

She loves it!

DMc
laugh

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I put one back on a gun rack in North Michigan on way way to the U.P. for a grouse hunt, the sweetest little Browning I ever touched, I regret that move as much as any I have ever made.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Redneck,

You sure are fond of the SKB shotguns. You must have hand picked the wood for your 3 barrel set.....very nice piece of lumber.
Yeah, I do.. laugh Had more than ten at one time.. I think I'm down to 6 now..

Must would assume a 32" sporting shotgun would be front heavy to swing and not the case. The manufacturers offering
32 " barrels are tapering the barrels
they swing smoother than a non-tapered 30 inch....IMO.

Doc
Good info there.

When you find a CG 28 you'll HAVE to post some pix of the little beauty.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Bighorn
My 28 ga. Benelli with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 6's never ceases to amaze on pheasant.

I took my 28ga Red Label to South Dakota last fall. I used it on the 3rd day for my last bird and it worked so well that I used it for the last two days to take limits and got one sharptail also. This was using Winchester 1oz #6.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Ruger Red Label 28ga also, just a fantastic shotgun. I've used it in Wyoming for sage grouse with Winchester 1oz #6's and around here and Mississippi for doves. There is nothing like standing in a sunflower field in the Delta with the 28 waiting for the first birds to show up.

Golden............
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by davidlea
There is nothing like standing in a sunflower field in the Delta with the 28 waiting for the first birds to show up.
I don't see no sunflowers.. Looks to me like yer sittin' in snow in eastern MT.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Ruger Red Label 28ga also, just a fantastic shotgun. I've used it in Wyoming for sage grouse with Winchester 1oz #6's and around here and Mississippi for doves. There is nothing like standing in a sunflower field in the Delta with the 28 waiting for the first birds to show up.

What kind of scope is that on your 28ga?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by schoolmarm

What kind of scope is that on your 28ga?

Y'all so funny! grin grin It's late season, the sunflowers are under the snow. That's the Sheep creek delta in Wyoming btw.. it's ok to use a rifle for birds there.

Golden............
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah, the 28 gauge punches above its weight. My favorite is a Beretta baby frame Silver Pigeon 3 combo with 30" 28 gauge and .410 tubes. At just a skosh less than 6 1/2#, it's still pretty smooth. Lots easier to hit with the 28s!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Redneck
Redneck,

Yeah, I do.. laugh Had more than ten at one time.. I think I'm down to 6 now..

32 " barrels are tapering the barrels
they swing smoother than a non-tapered 30 inch....IMO.

Doc
Good info there.

When you find a CG 28 you'll HAVE to post some pix of the little beauty.. smile

I have one will post pics when I have a chance

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.