Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I love pot roast and I've noticed that it can vary in flavor and tenderness quite a bit depending on who makes it.

I can't describe the flavor I think is best but I know it when I taste it.

A chef at a small diner in our hometown used to make the best pot roast I've ever had. It was very tender and the flavor was incredible. I would describe it as "gourmet" pot roast compared to some others I've had.

Does anybody know what I'm describing and how to make a pot roast seriously delicious?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Place in an over proof pot with lid. Cover with beef broth, add a pod of red cayenne pepper, and a few onions and potatoes. Salt to taste.

Place in oven and cook at 260* for 5 hours. Low and slow is the only way.

Cut it with a fork.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm with Crow, low & slow.

Once upon a time, it was how everything was done !

Sure miss those times.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like them browned a little before adding the rest of the stuff. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton

I also brown my pot roasts in a my ancient cast iron pot. I put in a can of beef stock, some freshly ground black pepper, cover, and place in the oven at 250° F.

I do not add the vegetables -- some carrots in addition to onions, potatoes, and a couple cloves of crushed, minced garlic -- until after the meat has cooked for a couple hours.

Careful with the salt as the beef stock has a bunch in it.

Mighty good eats with fresh biscuits and a fresh green salad.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might brown a roast in the morning and throw in the crock pot on low to simmer all day.

Has anybody tried the packet seasoning for pot roast?

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Actually, this looks like a pretty good recipe too

http://www.daringgourmet.com/2013/10/24/classic-slow-cooker-pot-roast/

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Negative on the crock pot.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Crock pot. Using the roast as your guide, fill with water half-3/4 way to the top of the roast. Two beef bouillon cubes. Quartered onion. Pack of Liptons French Onion soup.

Put it on low when you leave. Eat 8 hours later. If it's not as tender as you want it, leave it on low longer.

If you want the absolute best motharfugking pot roast in the world, remove the pot roast from the broth when you're done and make a beef gravy. Serve with fried eggs for breakfast.

Try to resist the urge to jam your dick into it. It's that good.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
We use the Lipton French Onion Soup mix for pot roast too, but no other broth. Soup mix, water (3/4 covered like you said), and meat. Cook slow, at least 4 hours.

Do not add potatoes or carrots until it's mostly cooked, if you add them at all. Potatoes suck the salt out of the broth and make pot roast tasteless. I prefer garlic mashed potatoes with my pot roast anyway.

Worst pot roast ever - meat, potatoes, and carrots in water, with no seasonings. Blah.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My dear old Mom made a real tasty roast by browning the roast in Crisco after a light dredge in flour. and then placing the contents of a package of Liptons onion soup mix on top and covering the roasting dish. Baking at 325 for a few hours. She never made a bad one. The flavor was excellent.-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

I also brown my pot roasts in a my ancient cast iron pot. I put in a can of beef stock, some freshly ground black pepper, cover, and place in the oven at 250° F.

I do not add the vegetables -- some carrots in addition to onions, potatoes, and a couple cloves of crushed, minced garlic -- until after the meat has cooked for a couple hours.

Careful with the salt as the beef stock has a bunch in it.

Mighty good eats with fresh biscuits and a fresh green salad.

L.W.

Yep, sear/brown that sucker on both sides first.

Ditto on adding the vegies half way through and easy on the carrots as they can make it overly sweet.

In addition, throwing in can of cola (made with cane sugar) at the onset, really helps break down the meat fibers and gives a nice sticky consistency to the finished product.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and then placing the contents of a package of Liptons onion soup mix on top and covering the roasting dish.

While I like onions in mine, I do not want any onion soup mix, or onion soup anything in mine. miles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mom made great pot roast.
Cooked it in a smaller version of those blue speckled turkey roasters.
She added turnips as well as onion, carrots and potatoes and cooked it until it fell apart..
I have no idea what spices she used but I didn't even know what onion soup mix was until I left home.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
and then placing the contents of a package of Liptons onion soup mix on top and covering the roasting dish.

While I like onions in mine, I do not want any onion soup mix, or onion soup anything in mine. miles.

The voice of reason crying out in the wilderness.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get my enamel coated roaster hot on the stove top and add garlic infused olive oil. Season and brown the chuck roast on all sides and then remove. Deglaze the pan with a little red wine, which gives a great depth of flavor to the gravy. Place the roast back in the pan and add beef broth half way up the side of the roast along with some sliced sweet onion on top of the roast. Cover and roast for two hours at 325*. After two hours turn the roast and add more onion slices on top. After one more hour add carrots and parsnips to the roaster. Wait one more hour, remove the roast, carrots and parsnips. Strain the liquid and make your gravy adjusting seasonings as needed (separate recipe). Serve with goat cheese mashed potatoes and some fresh baked bread.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cast iron Dutch oven and a chuck roast. Preheat oven to 500* F. Put salt, pepper and a bit of garlic (if you like garlic) in the bottom of the Dutch oven, add the roast and season the top side of the roast as you did on the bottom of the Dutch. Put in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or more as desired, uncovered. If you like onion, cut a whole onion into thick slices (1/2" +/-) but don't separate them (like for onion rings) and toothpick them on top of the roast after the 500* treatment. Reduce oven temp to 235* and add a 1/2 cup of warm water to the Dutch (hot CI and cold water is trouble), put on the lid and return to the oven. About 1 1/2 to 2 hours before you want to eat, add carrots and celery then add potatoes about 1/2 hour later. Total time for the roast to be fall apart tender should be minimum of 4 hours and 5 hours wouldn't be a bad thing (just don't put the carrots, celery and taters in too soon). Make gravy with what is in the bottom of the Dutch and have a good meal . . . BTW - don't under season the roast, that is what makes the gravy great instead of just good.

Low and slow - the way to go wink.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I roll my own. However, if you've not made pot roast much, I'd suggest checking Paula Deen's recipe, then make your own party. It's not too far from what I do, which comes out great.

Like everyone's saying, low and slow gets it done the right way.

Here's one I made with no vegetables, just onions. I was planning different sides than usual.

[Linked Image]

And this is the result I usually shoot for. This roast had carrots, onions, mushrooms, celery cooked in the Corningware with it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by local_dirt; 08/19/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any left over roast makes great hash. I like hash better than the roast, and I like both. miles

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Have you tried it?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
798 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 78 invisible), 3,126 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.