Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What do you want to know? Accurate, 24 inch barrel with 1:220mm (1:866 in) twist, excellent bluing, horrible stock finish from factory (I applied 7 coats of TimberLuxe inside and out, boiled linseed oil as needed afterward: better now)...not sure what else to say.

Last edited by RevMike; 08/20/15.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Higbean
What's a "7x57"?

Some communist round... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RevMike
Gonna give it a try. My Zastava Mauser is adjusted to just under 2 pounds with zero creep. I'd like to get by M70 to about the same: 2# would be perfect.

Tonight's bag with the Zastava (7x57 of course):

[Linked Image]

2 pounds isn't going to happen, contrary to what you hear on the innernet.... Just sayin.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
2 pounds isn't going to happen, contrary to what you hear on the innernet.... Just sayin.. wink

Crud!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
What do you want to know? Accurate, 24 inch barrel with 1:220mm (1:866 in) twist, excellent bluing, horrible stock finish (7 coats of TimberLuxe inside and out, boiled linseed oil as needed afterward)...not sure what else to say.
Did it come with iron sights?

How much was it?

Did you get a choice of triggers i.e. standard,double trigger and the one you push forward to set it to a lighter pull ala CZ?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes it came with irons. There were two stock configurations, and two trigger options: monte carlo or hog back, single or double trigger. The single trigger is a standard adjustable trigger, not a set as CZ. And unless you have a face like a cadaver, the irons aren't entirely useful with the monte carlo. They might be with the hog back, but that's not the one I have. The barrel contour is light with a muzzle diameter .556, as in the Featherweight. As for the cost, I don't remember. $500 NIB maybe?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higbean
What's a "7x57"?

Euphemism for 280 Remington.......... wink

MM

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,in the 2015 catalog they have a choice of triggers,with the set trigger ( like CZ has) as an option.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/civilianproduct/sporting-rifle-m70-standard

Thanks Rev.

The reason I'm asking is I have 7mm bullets from 100 gr all the way up to 175 gr. The 2-7x57's already have a load worked up and don't want to change. So,gonna get another and just shoot these bullets for plinking,varmints and big game. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Elk:

The model I have is the standard with monte carlo stock. It has a standard adjustable trigger. The CZ type single set trigger must be something new.

The bluing on the rifle is very good, but the finish on the stock looks like it was applied using a single, well-used Lipton tea bag. Several coats of TimberLuxe and some touch-ups with boiled linseed oil have revealed some pretty nice wood, though. The checkering is pretty poor but, again, we're not dealing with a custom rifle. Oddly enough, the 14.5 inch LOP fits me very well, so I haven't had anything done to it other than changing out the pad, bedding the action, and floating the barrel. I've toyed with this rifle being the start of a semi-custom (slimmed down stock, quarter rib, etc), but so far haven't pursued it.

One item that you might want to consider: I don't know who is importing Zastava right now. FIME/K-Var out of Las Vegas was the importer, but I don't know if they still are. It might be worth a note to both Zastava and FIME to see. The last time I looked, K-Var still had a couple of models but no 7x57s.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks Rev.

Century arms and Fime are the importers for Zastava.

A 14.5 LOP dang,made for Ingwe or gorillas. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Or guys who are 6'1" with 34 inch sleeves.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I'm 6'1" don't know how long my sleeve is though. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Elk:

An interesting side comment regarding LOP: Just about all of the Rigby and WR rifles I see on the various broker sites have LOPs in excess of 14 inches, mostly right around 14.5; and that includes their "magazine" rifles. I sent a note to Simon Clode of Westley Richards to ask about that, and he confirmed that we "across the pond" tend to like our stocks in the sub-14 inch range, while most of the British makers (as well as most other European makers) tend to extend beyond 14 inches, mostly settling between 14.125 and 14.5.

Frankly, I find the longer stocks more comfortable to shoot; but again, I'm 6'1" with a 34 inch sleeve. Couple that with the fact that I'm rarely in more than one layer of clothing, or two light layers, and it seems to make sense for me in the environment in which I hunt. As a matter of fact, I have even begun using a PAST recoil shield when shooting either my MRC ASR (13.625 in.) or M70 (13.75 in), not for recoil reduction, but to add about a half inch to the LOP. Again, it simply feels more comfortable to me in my environment. If I was hunting in snow and/or 30 degree weather, I might think differently.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Folks:

I asked this on another forum but received no answer. For those who have swapped out the spring on an MOA for an Ernie the Gunsmith spring, how low can the trigger pull be adjusted?

Thanks

RM

Mike,

Thanks for the tip about Ernie. I didn't even know he was around. I ordered a couple of his 77/22 springs, one for my RSI and another for the trigger on my 1948 FN which is, to the eye anyway, the same size. Both have Wolffe 77/22 springs, but I had to clip them for weight and a lighter rate, full length spring seems better and safer to me.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/22/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I figure for $7, it's worth a try before swapping out an entire trigger unit. I may also contact Ernie to see if they are planning to make one of their varmint springs for the MOA. That is supposed to bring the pull down to between 1.75 and 2.5 pounds. That's a range I'm comfortable with.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rev.
If you are talking about the trigger return spring….

The place to start is your local hardware store, remove the trigger return spring and take it with you to town.

Go to your favorite hardware store and they will have a display case full of springs, pick one the right diameter with finer wire, pick several they are about fifty cents each.

Cut one to length and try it, repeat until you get what you want, this spring keeps the sear engaged while you are slamming the action around so not to light.

So for cheap you can have the one that pleases you, besides it is a good way to fiddle away an hour or two on Saturday.

[Linked Image]
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I've thought about that; just not terribly confident that I know enough about what I'm doing!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is a learning experience, after your done slam the bolt a few times to make sure it works OK.

If you don't like what you have done you can replace the original spring or order the after market one.

It is not hard.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried the timney replacement trigger and it was horrible(maybe i just got a bad one but it was junk)I even ended up stoning the timney and it didnt help. I bought the ernie trigger spring and it was about the same as the timney in pull weight(but only cost $7)around 2.5lbs. I started playing with stoning the sear and trigger. I used an ultra fine stone and it made a world of difference. I think it was still around 2.5lbs but very crisp.

But IMHO the MOA is junk BACO messed up big time by changing the trigger. The older M70 triggers are awesome if you know what your doing to adjust them. I use ernies varmint springs on the older triggers then stone to take the creep out.

Last edited by Danny1788; 08/22/15.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.