Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The other day I left home way before daylight and about 8am get a call from my wife. She said my 12 yr old daughter had seen my horse with a cut on her.

I've always tried to make it a point to my kids to always look over the stock when they have a chance and look for something wrong. But with my wife and daughter they tend to over react. So when I got this call I wasn't expecting much.

But then I get home and find this
[Linked Image]

Could be lots worse, but still needed attention.

This is how it looked right after the sew job
[Linked Image]

All this just in time to bring cattle off the mountain in a couple weeks. I'll start guiding hunters on her October 1, but she should be alright by then. This happened last Wednesday and she was pretty sore, but she's moving better now. On the good side she's now broke to fly spray.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any idea what caused it?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't know how. I wanted to blame it on a lion, but I can't. It is one cut, not even another fresh scratch next to it. We have every predator known to Wyoming right here at the house and had them kill cattle and sheep.

But I think this has to be a case of a horse being able to hurt itself in a padded room.

What I can't figure out is the length and going up and down. I can see getting caught on a nail, but how'd it go up or down so much? I could see a horizontal cut.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hope it heals up in time and without incident

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Ralphie

But I think this has to be a case of a horse being able to hurt itself in a padded room.

They can do it.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
absolutely. amazing the trouble they can get in

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sew job looks good. Is that a drain tube in it and did you do it yourself? Had a mare years ago that was cut by a phone/electric pole guide wire that looked a lot like that (only about 2/3 as long) but was on her neck. It healed up well. They cover those guide wires with a yellow plastic sheath now.

Some timing with all you've got coming up. Really caught me because I had to put one down this morning. Front end loaders ain't made for digging those kinda holes. I ain't made for it either, especially having them put down.

Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I ran her down to the vet. He left the bottom open just a bit so it would drain.

I'm going to check the guy wires now, I hadn't thought of that.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The open end looked like what the vet did with my mare, only he put a little rubber sleeve/tube under the skin and sewed the skin together over it...left a little yellow end of it out. Pulled it out later clean as a whistle. Hope yours heals up well.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Good seamstress work. She'll be fine, but you know that. Timing sucks for sure.

All one has to do is say "a horse can't..." and then sit back and watch them do it.

Are you injecting penicillin?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No penicillin. We put a local kind of antibiotic into the wound when it was sewn up.

It has been a week now and I just turned her out this morning back onto pasture. I've had her locked up since this happened.

She looks really good. And is moving MUCH better.

I've been worried about the flies even with the fly spray, but they haven't been an issue at all.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Good news!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I always keep a bottle of SMZs on hand when they lay them selfs open. Thats one hell of a cut, good thing it wasn't deep.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 3,247 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.