Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
It's been about 5-6 years since my last hunting rifle project. Guess it's time again.

This will be designed as a light weight mountain or Alaska hunting rifle for elk, moose, caribou and grizzly if the "need" arises.

Hopefully, 7lbs or less for the bare rifle with optics. No ammo nor sling, etc.

6.5x57-BR. Which will be a Lapua 8x57IS case, necked down to 6.5mm and shoulder blown out to 30 deg. Plan on using deep penetrating bullets such as 120/127/130 Barnes TTSX/LRX/TSX, 140 Part, Swift A-frame, Lapua 140 Naturalist/156 Mega or Norma 156 RN.

-Rem 700 LA which was highly lightened back in 1982. Aluminum bolt shroud.

-Calvin Elite trigger

-LW carbon fiber stock. Brand/model to be determined. Would prefer ADL/blind style magazine to keep weight down but if a solid argument can be made for a BDL style....

-Stock, scope and mounts system need to be such that a solid cheek weld is obtained with out resorting to some kind of adj cheek rest or pad.

-Proof Research Light Sendero or Sendero taper barrel at 24" in a 1:8 twist.

- S&K or Talley Light Weight low ring/mounts.

-Light 2.5-8 or 3-9 or 3.5-10'ish scope with BDC type reticle and/or CDS type elev turrets. Needs to be capable of dialing or holding over to 500-600 yds. Reticle needs to be capable of being used to hold off for wind. Needs to be bomb proof and capable of tolerate sub -20, -30, -40 below temps.

-As much metal as possible to be Cerakoted.

I'd like to get any input on my choice of components with any previous experience with parts which have been used/tested and any suggested components if you feel they would be better.

I'm an experienced LR shooter/hunter so feel 600 yds is an easy shot but also feel a LW rifle is not the tool for anything longer. It would be carried near daily as a rifle "in hand" through out the year, during the appropriate hunting season and a rifle needed to stop a cantankerous moose/bear.

Thank you,

Alan

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
alan, I think you are making a mistake deviating so much from your recipe of success on other guns. my build would be this, up your weight a little bit. go with a magnum contour barrel. standard type stock, like a remington classic, save weight where you can but keep some weight with the barrel. I like about an 8# naked gun. Stick with nightforce compact optics, well you know why. nightforce works and its one less thing to worry about.

I say this because you like me aren't getting any younger. The type of hunting that works best is glassing off ridges and being able to connect to at least 700 yards. I was keenly aware of how valuable an ability this could be when helping a friend on his muzzleloader hunt. We would see elk but due to the short range of the muzzleloader we would have to dump off the ridges after them. The elk would then move our stock was blown and we were out of energy and gassed trying to get back and find more animals. my rifle off the top of the ridges would have meant a dead animal, we dump off once to get the animal, hunt over.

simply glass the areas, decide if the animal is big enough, get into position without dumping off the canyon, make the shot. Would you rather carry a heavier rifle this way, or march up and down the canyons and all over the mountain with a gun that is 2#'s ligher? carry the heavier gun less distance, smile

as to your cartridge choice its too complicated, just get a 6.5 creedmoor and be done with it. If I intend on hunting an area where hiking and packing in is a good idea. I have a tikka that is pretty light that I can take. For its weight that gun shoots better than it should and I have less than 5 hunskies in it.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I think balance is going to be way off, with that heavy a barrel, and that light a stock and action. I would go with a lighter contour barrel.

Personal opinion, but I have gone with simple factory rounds for my travel rifles. Such hunts are always expensive, and I like to minimize the things that can go wrong. I have seen ammo get misplaced or be slow to show up. A rifle in an exotic chambering is not a resilient system.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just go w/the 6.5Sweede or the 260AAR. Use a 2.5 barrel and your regular stock. Scope it w/a 6x36 or 6x42 Leupold w/LRD and go to killin. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 08/20/15.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Standard 270 700 in an edge. Talleys. Whatever u can afford for glass...
W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to use talley lightweights exclusively but they seem prone to impact shifts when they take a tumble. Went with a bedded 0 degree rail and Seekins rings this year. More weight but they seem significantly stronger.

Last edited by 30338; 08/20/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If I were the OP, for the game and conditions mentioned, I'd duplicate my 9.3x62,lighten as much as possible,chamber it 30/06 and go hunting. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/20/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Bob,

I already have a very nice 9.3x62 in a pre 64 action sitting in an Echols Legend stock.

[Linked Image]

I now have a D'Arcy Echols Shrike stock built for the Rem 700 coming in from Charley Santoni of CS Sports. He's the gent who assembled my 9.3x62 after Redneck did the metal work. I'm going to have a chance to weigh it and handle it, deciding if that is what I want or something lighter with an ADL blind mag.

Alan

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alan: I remembered your 9.3....which is why I said what I did. wink smile

That's a great rifle for what you want to do;although I understand you wanting a "lighter" rifle, too.

The Shrike is a great stock. Tickled with mine,although I have not spent much time with it yet. It's being bedded, will be a 6.5 Creedmoor, and done sometime next month.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My Rem 700 30-06 has a Rock #3 barrel, McMillan Classic Edge, BDL version, Leupold 6x42 scope. 1-inch shank, 23 inch barrel length. She weighs 7.5 lbs scoped. She really balances nicely.

You may save some weight with the Proof barrel, but I don't know if you'll save 1/2 a pound.

I think if you want to get close to 7 lbs your components are sound. You may be a tad heavier. If the weight is the highest priority I would suggest either a Kimber or a NULA action instead of a 700.

Edit: just re-read your post, and noticed the work on the 700 to make the action lighter. Between that work and the barrel you might shave 1/2 a pound.

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 08/20/15.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSSP
It's been about 5-6 years since my last hunting rifle project. Guess it's time again.

This will be designed as a light weight mountain or Alaska hunting rifle for elk, moose, caribou and grizzly if the "need" arises.

Hopefully, 7lbs or less for the bare rifle with optics. No ammo nor sling, etc.

6.5x57-BR. Which will be a Lapua 8x57IS case, necked down to 6.5mm and shoulder blown out to 30 deg. Plan on using deep penetrating bullets such as 120/127/130 Barnes TTSX/LRX/TSX, 140 Part, Swift A-frame, Lapua 140 Naturalist/156 Mega or Norma 156 RN.

-Rem 700 LA which was highly lightened back in 1982. Aluminum bolt shroud.

-Calvin Elite trigger

-LW carbon fiber stock. Brand/model to be determined. Would prefer ADL/blind style magazine to keep weight down but if a solid argument can be made for a BDL style....

-Stock, scope and mounts system need to be such that a solid cheek weld is obtained with out resorting to some kind of adj cheek rest or pad.

-Proof Research Light Sendero or Sendero taper barrel at 24" in a 1:8 twist.

- S&K or Talley Light Weight low ring/mounts.

-Light 2.5-8 or 3-9 or 3.5-10'ish scope with BDC type reticle and/or CDS type elev turrets. Needs to be capable of dialing or holding over to 500-600 yds. Reticle needs to be capable of being used to hold off for wind. Needs to be bomb proof and capable of tolerate sub -20, -30, -40 below temps.

-As much metal as possible to be Cerakoted.

I'd like to get any input on my choice of components with any previous experience with parts which have been used/tested and any suggested components if you feel they would be better.

I'm an experienced LR shooter/hunter so feel 600 yds is an easy shot but also feel a LW rifle is not the tool for anything longer. It would be carried near daily as a rifle "in hand" through out the year, during the appropriate hunting season and a rifle needed to stop a cantankerous moose/bear.

Thank you,

Alan

Alan, have you tried a Montana?? Scared to test your roulette skills? laugh. Personally, I'd think your 9.3x62mm is about the perfect rifle. Why would anyone need anything other than that one? Good luck with your search. I'm sure you will figure it out and it will end up being major eye candy...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Alan,

bsa has a point. You could rebarrel a Kimber Montana as it has a lot of what you're looking for. If you like that sort of thing.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Alan,

bsa has a point. You could rebarrel a Kimber Montana as it has a lot of what you're looking for. If you like that sort of thing.

That was my first impression when I read his question as well. Good luck with whatever you choose!

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
You 3 are making too much sense. I've always been thoughtful about the Kimber light weights. As an FFL, I can get a pretty decent price too. The reason I started with my R700 LA is i've had it for sometime and I thought it might be a good place to start. I've got some research to do now.

Alan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
I built this 270 that weighs 8.9 pounds with pac-nor 20" barrel, Bordon Rimrock stock, pre 64 M70, 2x7 scope, swivel bipod, sling, and ammo.
I shot 9 deer with it.
Then I lost 35 pounds off my belly by stopping eating starch.
At age 62 I had to start buying skinny clothes.
Right now I am building 11 pound rifles, and I have added the Darrell Holland field bag hanging from the sling.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't think you will make your target weight of 7 with scope using the Proof barrel. They are not as light as a #2 Douglas or Benchmark.

Last edited by RinB; 08/20/15.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Also I would get the 6.5-55 and use Lapua cases and Forster BR dies.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Alan,

That was my first impression when I read his question as well. Good luck with whatever you choose!

^ That.

Retube someone's problem with a #1 Douglas at 20" in Creedmoor & rock it hard.

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by RinB
I don't think you will make your target weight of 7 with scope using the Proof barrel. They are not as light as a #2 Douglas or Benchmark.

The Douglas barrel site puts a #2 24" barrel at 2-3/4 lbs.

The Proof Research barrel site puts a 24" Light Sendero at 2 lbs 15 oz.

Petty close.

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Alan,

^ That.

Retube someone's problem with a #1 Douglas at 20" in Creedmoor & rock it hard.

I appreciate the thought. I already own two 6.5x47's so the Creedmoor is out and I like longer (24" minimum) barrels. I want 2900 fps, with ease, with 140 class bullets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,920 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.