Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by bfrshooter

I am the biggest old bastard ever but come here, I will take your hand and give a hug.

That's all I ask.

Travis
You SOB. You beat me to it. What I get for working.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I think Jack O'Conner can outshoot DeFlave.

HA!

The only thing myself and that skinny fugker have in common is our obsession with sheep.

Travis
The idea of a skeletal O'Conner servicing a sheep gives new meaning to the term "boner".

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Favorite Handgun Writer

Massad Ayoob and Jeff Quinn (GunBlast) come to mind.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Max's work is always good. I like Brian Pearce and Dave Scovill. Seyfried is in a class all his own.

I used to say John Taffin but that was before his head got too swole for his hat. Now he's struggling for relevance and I'm struggling to give a s-h-i-t.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Favorite Handgun Writer

Massad Ayoob and Jeff Quinn (GunBlast) come to mind.

Ayoob is by far the most entertaining.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One can find John Taffin most Friday mornings on the smaller side range at Black's Creek south of Boise, he has his own heavy wooden bench at the right end of the line. He gets there early like I do so it's him and his friend at one end and then me about 20 yards away on the left end of the line.

Not trying to name drop since I doubt he could pick me out of a line up of one. I've only spoken to him two or three times except to call the range hot or cold, mostly we each mind our own business. But yesterday he pulled out "the original .41 Special", a Ruger 3 screw customized by Bowen, so I had to walk over to examine it briefly. Very nice handgun if I do say so myself.

He certainly owns or has owned some really nice stuff and he's probably forgotten more about handguns than I know, but one thing about meeting folks like that is that you realize people are just people and subject to all the foibles of human beings, and that's all I'll say about that.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I read everything by everyone but most handgun stuff goes back to Keith. Back then the .357 was not possible or the .44 mag. Too big and too much pressure. S&W and Ruger proved them wrong. Writers were either bringing the revolver into hunting or 7 yard BG stuff, quick draw or hunting. It is the same today with so much about carry, QD and feet instead of many yards. Writers need a Ransom rest to test, I don't remember Elmer using one. I shot my flat top .44 at way over 400 yards back then, took hair off a running chuck at 550 yards with it. Elmer did it.
But today Max actually hunts as do I and JWP.
Who do you read? Someone at 7 yards, someone with a Ransom rest? Max and I can out shoot a Ransom 6 ways to Sunday.
Max has brought the big bore revolvers where they belong.
I still read posts with a guy at 17 FEET with a .44. Ever think of a rock?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some people (Me) think shooting a three pound revolver at 400 yards would not only be stupid, but incredibly boring.

Shooting at seven yards has far more relevance to me and is much more interesting to push my abilities in a way other than long range shooting.

Not that any of that will make any difference to you, BFR. Because you're insane. But I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ever think of a rock?

Sometimes. On the dark days. I've killed more rocks than I can count. They haunt me.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jim,

I too am a fan of John Taffin. The man is a wealth of knowledge and a real pleasure for me was sitting in his living room and discussing guns and reloading and, and...

I own several handguns that John has called "The Perfect Packin Pistol" and enjoyed discussing them with John. All in all an enjoyable visit. For a man in his mid 70's, John still gets around pretty well.

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Ever think of a rock?

Sometimes. On the dark days. I've killed more rocks than I can count. They haunt me.

Rest easy my friend........ You put them out of their misery. That bastard Powell throws them in the fire!

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having grown up in the 60's, I enjoyed Skelton the most. Askins, like him or not, was a gem in his own right. Ross Seyfried has always written well and Brian Pearce has done a lot of good stuff. Mike Cumpston never fails to pen a good article.

Admittedly, I quit subscribing to gun rags 16 years ago and rarely buy one off the rack anymore. The tactical drivel and non-shooting reviews finally wore me out.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I always smile when I think of my first morning hunting with Brian. I always carry my Colt 1911... First thing he did was ask me to see it. smile

He gave it the once over, and them some. I had put the pistol together myself and customized a standard 1911 with all sorts of extras and custom parts for a decent build. Brian mentioned all of the custom parts and features I'd added, then proceeded to ask me everything he could think of about this or that on the gun. I told him I had lots of ammo if he wanted to try it out. He did. I guess it won his stamp of approval. wink

I've hunted with his oldest son and him too. Met his wife. They raise those kids really well. Nice change from what's in the news today.

I am jealous.

I live a scant half mile form his house, and have yet to meet the man. Though I have met his brothers.

I am not one to intrude upon a man's privacy and go knocking on his door.

My kids and grandkids have gone to school with the Pierce boys. And I have met a couple of the boys. Mom and Dad are doing right by those kids.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Having grown up in the 60's, I enjoyed Skelton the most. Askins, like him or not, was a gem in his own right. Ross Seyfried has always written well and Brian Pearce has done a lot of good stuff. Mike Cumpston never fails to pen a good article.

Admittedly, I quit subscribing to gun rags 16 years ago and rarely buy one off the rack anymore. The tactical drivel and non-shooting reviews finally wore me out.

That is where I am. I got F&S dirt cheap and the hunting and fishing stuff is inane. I like the rag for the recipes in most issues. Handloader went to pot and so many others.
Long ago work was done for information and Ken Waters was best. Today writers work to satisfy advertisers.
Look at tests done now, $1500 scopes and $3000 or more rifles. Turn the page! Most of us will starve or sell the house to have one. An old beater savage can out shoot them.
There were good writers back then. Some are still kicking but after WHAT THEY WRITE WILL BE A FULL PAGE ADD FOR WHAT THEY USED. I could do with a $96 Ruger flat top and do not need a $4000 custom revolver.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Some people (Me) think shooting a three pound revolver at 400 yards would not only be stupid, but incredibly boring.

Shooting at seven yards has far more relevance to me and is much more interesting to push my abilities in a way other than long range shooting.

Not that any of that will make any difference to you, BFR. Because you're insane. But I thought I'd mention it anyway.

A little off subject, but I hope that shooting handguns at long range is not the definition of insanity.

If so, then there are a bunch of us on this board. One of the most enjoyable shooting days I have experienced was with RJM busting badger mounds at 500 yds and beyond with our 41 mag revolvers.

An N Frame Smith can do surprising things. And even a novice pistolero could put any man in mortal fear at several hundred yards with a short bit of practice.

As for practical applications........I have a hard time imagining the need (for me)to ever shoot at anything less than fifty yards away.

Could be a matter of longitude.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Ever think of a rock?

Rest easy my friend........ You put them out of their misery. That bastard Powell throws them in the fire!

That's just evil. About what you would expect from a Jack booted thug.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Idaho, I was thinking the same thing myself.. I shoot some at 7 yards defense targets, but it is more enjoyable to try and pop a jack or p.dog at 25-100 yards with my sixguns than punch a target.. I feel some close shooting is necessary if God forbid I would have to use my sixgun or pistol in self defense..
We shoot a lot of plastic jugs filled with water and rocks with our sixguns.. love it.. In a way rocks are better because you don't have to pick up the pieces..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
A little off subject, but I hope that shooting handguns at long range is not the definition of insanity.

As for practical applications........I have a hard time imagining the need (for me)to ever shoot at anything less than fifty yards away.

No, insanity is BFR. He's kra-kra. I don't think long range handgunning is insane, it's just not something I'd enjoy.

I have a hard time imagining the need for me to shoot something with a handgun beyond 50 yards. Neither is wrong, just different strokes.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by CraigC
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Max is the Whitworth dude on here that likes to get into dick measuring contests with other guys shooting rifle cartridges in revolvers. Bfr is his understudy.

That was a real cheap shot and not true either. Par for the course for you though. I guess you don't actually pay attention too much.

It was a cheap shot. Max has agreed with my findings, done by hard work. Yet he is his own man too.
I had issues with CraigC too for a while. He is a good man so don't run him down either. You need to know these guys.
I don't like poor comments about Max either. JWP and I have had a hard time but you don't know him either.
Yes, some older writers were great but things are different today with calibers never thought of. It takes more thinking and ability to handle them.
To say bad is just an indication of lack of knowledge, jealousy or just plain stupid.
Max has brought the big bore to life like no other. Those dead guys could not handle what we shoot now.

The only thing you've ever found is the "exit" of a psychiatric hospital, and i'll bet that was by mistake

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I am not one to intrude upon a man's privacy and go knocking on his door.

That seems pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.