Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Now their is no need to get pissy about it. I have plenty of friends with the same experience I know its hard to believe.. I will never make you a believer and its not my job to make you a believer. I asked for a on line dealer for cutco knives and you come along do a drive by saying I'm full of [bleep] and there better knives out their. Well [bleep] show me this knife show me what you make.. make me a believer in your product. You have a product to sell and you have to sell that product, so you have no reason to even say half ass praises of cutco. If I was making knives hell I bad mouth every mass produced knife on the market too. I asked guys already show me a knife I can do one moose, hell one elk or caribou without sharpening... matter of fact screw it do you take pay-pal? I will take one of your knives.

Last edited by 79S; 09/11/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in, I have a few blades that are ready to put a handle on. Or you can pick a steel you would like to try and a style you would like to try and I'll make it happen.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That knife you had for sale in the classifieds back in March I really liked the looks and from What I read today that is a very good steel for a knife. But here's the kicker I need a orange handle, I lost I don't know how many knives laying them down and can't find them.. I know sacrilege putting orange anything on a custom knife..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You need to, at least, TRY a Mora.
What to lose? $10?

[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i have a set for the kitchen . awesome . i have several for hunting. i did two elk and a rocky mtn bighorn with one cutco. anyone else have a knife that did that? i suppose a buffalo or moose would be bigger/better test.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After further communication with 79s I have to come out and say I very possibly could have been wrong about the cutco's ability to skin multiple moose. I haven't used a serrated edge knife on anything but steak since I was 14 and we had the edge of my cutco ground off. In my mind we were talking apples and apples when it came to edge on the knife, instead it was apples and oranges because I have next to no experience with that double d edge. What I will stick with though is that there are much better steels for knives with non-serrated edges. And that is what I thought he was talking about on the cutco. Mmmmmm crow tastes good.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
I am a hobby maker who sells once in a while, been doing it for a few years now. It takes me at least 8 hours to complete a knife, some makers I'm sure do it much faster but I don't. There is zero chance I'm going to work 8 hours to settle an internet disagreement and send you a knife at cost. If you like your knife so much that is fine by me, and maybe you did get through the moose, I really might be wrong and I'm fine with that. But I know it would have been an S.O.B at the end because that knife had to be pretty dull. Listen to a few other people on here who have tried those knives( like myself) and then used other knives with better cutlery steel and have seen there is a significant difference in edge retention. That is the beauty of internet forums, you can learn from a lot of people who have more experience in fields that you may not in a very short amount of time. Alot of what I learned on becoming a maker I pulled off this forum from guys who have been doing it along time. Not ONE of them would spend time making a custom out of 440A, and there is a reason for that. You should ask yourself why guys who make a living based upon a knife's performance won't use that steel. Its not because Cutco knows something they don't.

MM

Cutco delivers a great product and a great service and the indisputable truth is that most people who actually use them are very happy with them. I think you were the only one on this thread who said you had tried one and didn't like it. Cutco makes a living based upon their knives performance and they use 440A. They know that it delivers a blend of edge retention, ease of sharpening, durability and strength that keeps their customers happy, keeps them coming back and keeps them recommending the product to their family, friends an folks on the internet. They seem to have struck a great balance point between price and quality. It's hard to look at their track record and tell them that they are doing it wrong.

My step son and his team set an all time Cutco record for summer sales! That's a lot of happy customers.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 09/14/15.
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If one is buying a cutco they need to buy the one with the double d edge.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have several cutco hunting knives I spaced it and never sent one to my wife. I was sold on cutco knives 5yrs ago. I have one cutco (serrated) that I have skinned 6 moose, couple bears, couple caribou and it finally needs to be sharpened. [/quote]

Send it back to the company they will do it for free and do it right!

Last edited by REDMAN; 09/19/15.

Marine Corps, Mason, NRA Life Member & Cherokee
May you always know the Great Spirit is with you.
Years ago I swore an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign & DOMESTIC and no one has relieved me of that oath!
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Did an elk this weekend with a Mora and my hook knife. Still shaves hair off my arm. Hows that for $15? I can see Cutco being great for people who don't sharpen their own blades. I also expect those people use their blade a lot longer than most others would because they have to send it in for sharpening. I imagine this is where a lot of the stories about doing multiple animals without sharpening comes from.
I'm sure I could do several animals with a cheap Mora without resharpening, but I don't need to. We had some Cutco knives back home,they were the serrated ones and worked fine as steak/kitchen knives. Can't see them being worth more than a fraction of the price they charge though.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cold Steel knives, bushman or similar should do fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm
You need to, at least, TRY a Mora.
What to lose? $10?

[Linked Image]

Just ordered this:
Morakniv Craftline HighQ Robust Trade Knife with Carbon Steel Blade and Combi-Sheath, 4.1-Inch

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
how did you order the knife.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amazon; $14. It is mighty sharp.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have several cutco all gifts from my mother inlaw I have skinned a buffalo with the double edge and it worked fine but it needs reshaping and I hate sending my knifes to someone else for that. I have a great knife sharpener and would much prefer to have a straight edge over serrated. That said I am pretty certain cutco has limited hunting/ tactical/ outdoor type knifes because they are owned by ??? Kabar and do not want to compete brands.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
820 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 75 invisible), 3,246 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.