Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
For the past few years I haven't had the time/opportunity to do any archery hunting. Now I'm hunting deer on a place where we have to take quite a few does each year so I thought I might mix it up and do a little bow hunting for doe control. I looked at the price of new high-end bows and they've passed up the cost of a lot of rifles! I guess I may just have to get a new string on the old Alpine and tune it up. It looks like there has been a lot of technology updates in limbs/risers/dampening but the cams don't seem to have changed that much. I may even upgrade to some of those new-fangled non-aluminum arrows. My case is currently full of 2216 xx75's!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just find what you like and then go to Archery talk and buy one barely used for 50% of new.

Those guys "Must have" the newest gear very 6 months. It's filled with amazing deals on what is effectively like new gear. Some already with the whole package of great sights, quiver and rests. There are a ton of High end archery hunters there dumping great gear to get the next new thing.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The thing is you don't have to buy the most expensive bow to get a smooth, accurate and fast bow. I got my Mission Ballistic with sight, release, rest, 1/2 dozen arrows and a case for $800 all set up from our local dealer.

You're not likely going to get a rifle, scope, box of ammo and a case for under a grand.

It was worth it for me to go to a shop and have a bow set up for me, arrows cut to length et al. Trying to get a bow setup for someone else to work for me wasn't worth the savings.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I wish I would have kept my old PSE Carroll Series Dominator, that was a sweet old bow. It would shoot as fast as the current bow I have which is a Mission Ballistic. At 72 Lbs it would shoot 310 with an Easton ACC 3/40. I'm sure technology has evolved alot, but I never remember having not the first problem with that bow.

Fück Joe byron
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Second archerytalk, smokin deals to be had if you wait....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought that as well when I started looking to get back in archery. However, if you look at the tech and the handwork in the flagship bows there's a lot more there than in most simple bolt action rifles. A lot fewer made, as well.

Now, archery is just like any other hobby...they're going to bend you over if you want the latest and greatest. 10% more performance equals about 200% more price!

Like guys said...go used. A lot of people 'need' that latest greatest...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Second that buy a used bow! If you want to sell them aluminum arrows let me know!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
I wish I would have kept my old PSE Carroll Series Dominator, that was a sweet old bow. It would shoot as fast as the current bow I have which is a Mission Ballistic. At 72 Lbs it would shoot 310 with an Easton ACC 3/40. I'm sure technology has evolved alot, but I never remember having not the first problem with that bow.

How light of arrows were you shooting? I could never get that speed out of mine at 5gr/lb with a 30" draw. The Carroll's were nice bows for the time except for they were notorious for not having enough clearence on the riser.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Reelman, if I remeber correctly they were about 360gr, It was shooting 290fps with 2213 PSE Equalizer, also the chronograph may not have been correct but that is what it displayed and was all I had to go by. At that time I was only 16, and that was one of the nicest bows of its time next to the Mach 6. Single cam bows were just evolving because I traded a Jennings Uniforce for that Dominator. The ACC made by Easton was the lightest that were available. I did not shoot them much. I always shot the PSE Equalizers 2213 that were black, with black vanes and black nocks. This way no one could see my arrow placement when I shot in the 3D tournaments. Those were fun times then.

Fück Joe byron
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Just find what you like and then go to Archery talk and buy one barely used for 50% of new.

Those guys "Must have" the newest gear very 6 months. It's filled with amazing deals on what is effectively like new gear. Some already with the whole package of great sights, quiver and rests. There are a ton of High end archery hunters there dumping great gear to get the next new thing.

FACT!

I have an ad posted up there now for a 1-yr-old rig that I have about $1000 in. It's listed with a whole bunch of other expensive [bleep] for less than $500. I'm selling because it's a 60lb max draw and I regretted not buying a heavier bow even though 60-lb will do almost anything. May just keep it as a backup.

RLTW
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JJHACK

Yep, that. Is what I did.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ebay has some great deals on bows

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A good used bow can be a good deal. But - you need to know what your getting and be able to work on it yourself. If you buy a Mathews for example and the draw length is not correct you could be into it $100+ for new cams. If you take a used bow to a shop, expect to pay for services that are often free if you purchase from them. An alternative is to buy one of the budget bows from Hoyt, Mathews etc. Hoyt has a Charger that sells new for $500, Mathews has the Mission line at similar prices. That way you get a new bow, full warranty and hopefully a shop that will assist you if necessary.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
THE HOYT CHARGER is a heck of a bow for $500

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I just bought a Hoyt Charger with the Fuze kit which includes the sight, quiver, rest and stabilizer for $600

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
check out the Bear Attitude. I went in wanting to love the more expensive offerings, but the Attitude just felt the best to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Hoyt Charger is a heck of a bow at any price. I have shot indoor target, 3D, Elk and Antelope with mine. Only gripe I have is that I wish it were a bit longer axle to axle. The tight string angle makes me use a big peep to get my pin housing centered and I feel that I loose a bit of accuracy in that big peep. That is an issue with all 30-32" bows though, not exclusive to the Charger. I have a brother and several friends that have bought Chargers on my recommendation - all still very happy with their bows after several years now.

Last edited by centershot; 08/20/15.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 65 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,034
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.