Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friends:

Here's my tip.

http://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitchen/appliances/products/Rice%20Cookers.html

Amore rice cooker.

I live alone and I'm a senior. I have always been a health aficionado subscribing to the "natural" way. That means all fresh, raw vegetables, no canned, no artificial drinks, very little pastry.

The Amore steamer has a basket. I put all veggies in the basket and steam. The water is down below and does not come in contact. Apart from making great rice perfect every time, it also cooks veggies fast, all sorts of meats, makes great soups too as well as stews. It has timers as well a slow cooker features. Veggis include potatoes, Irish and sweet, broccoli, cauliflower, red beets, parsnips, rutabagas, salsify, leeks, carrots, cabbage, peppers, onions, spinach, leafy greens, fresh green and dry beans of all descriptions, lentils, various other grains, and also pastas and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Since we are talking here about sweet corn on the cob, I steam mine. Set for 7 minutes. I like it just barely cooked.

A true corn aficionado I knew thought the corn had to be picked and eaten same day. That works where there are farms and stands selling out of the fields but not from supermarkets.

I like mine as fresh as possible but I have to be honest and say that corn in the fridge 3 -4 days and steamed tastes just as fine for me. Corn is said to turn starchy if kept for prolonged periods. OK - but I still eat it after several days.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like to cut it off the cob and saute in real butter, salt, and plenty of fresh cracked pepper. You can throw the Mexican Street corn angle on it with some mayo and parmesan cheese, maybe some chile powder too.
Then there is the Black bean jicama corn salad I have pics of in my Vegas thread. Not cooked at all.
As mentioned earlier, just don't over boil it, it doesn't need much more than hot enough to melt butter.

Last edited by calikooknic; 08/21/15. Reason: teal butter

Sean
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Fresh corn, butter, salt and a plate full of sunfish with baked beans. Oh and a Grain Belt to wash it down.
If you are out of fish, substitute with an elk steak off the grill.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Fresh corn, butter, salt and a plate full of sunfish with baked beans. Oh and a Grain Belt to wash it down.
If you are out of fish, substitute with an elk steak off the grill.

All right, Grain Belt! Used to not be a complete night at the VFW races in Jackson without a Grain Belt. Also, on our high school senior class trip to The Cities, we toured the Grain Belt plant. At the conclusion they gave us orange pop.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Just harvesting June's planting from my garden, Burpee Bi-Licious Hybrid. Trick is to harvest before the ears mature and become too tough/starchy. Just put in boiling water for about 5 minutes, then enjoy with butter, salt and pepper. Plan on having 3 or 4 ears with a couple dozen Rhode Island top-neck clams tonite for dinner. Late August would just not be the same without this combo....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I like the seasoned flavor the ears pick up when we boil them with crawfish or crabs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pocono:

Sounds great.

Question. Rhode Island top neck clams ????

I have dual locations including New York East coast. My son lives in New Jersey, along the coast, mariner, boat owner, VERY successful fisherman.

The generic clams here are variations of three varieties, of which is/are sizes of same one kind, Quahog, Little neck. Cherrystone.

Deviants are Razor Clams, rare and difficult/expensive and the other common and steamers.

http://marxfood.com/guide-types-of-clams/

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I heat up the BGE to about 500 degrees. I shuck the ears of corn, removing all the leaves and silk. I completely cover the ears with butter, then I liberally apply Morton's seasoning salt to the butter covered ears. I then place them on aluminum foil with a bit more butter chunked with the ears. I then wrap them in the foil tightly. I cook with indirect heat. I don't really have a time I do, i just place them on first, then prepare the rest of my food and remove all the food at the same time.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We've been nuking it lately. Cut the stalk end off before going in the microwave or after... then squirt the ear out.

This works really well for those who hate the silk. Doesn't bother me, but a hot grill takes care of the silk too.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
we usually do it one of 3 ways.

1. in the husk, soaked in water and then grilled over medium heat until the husk starts to show grill marks. serve it with fresh butter and lots of fresh cracked black pepper

2. peeled and boiled for 10 minutes in a large pot with a couple tablespoons of vinegar and a couple tablespoons of sugar added.

3. if we have a larger group than either of those methods can handle we do "cooler corn". Pour boiling water into a cooler and let it sit for 10 minutes to warm up the cooler, pour out the water and put in as many ears of corn as you like with the husks removed-add boiling water to the cooler-(normally 3 gallons or so) we add some crawfish boil as well. then close up the cooler for at least 1/2 hour, longer if it's a really large amount of corn. You end up with a large amount of nicely steamed corn.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're all makin me hungry for some COTC

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have never found a better way than to boil the corn, and then slather it with butter. Salt and fresh black pepper to taste.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
We often microwave it, finding that's quicket and retains more flavor than boiling. About two minutes an ear is about right in most microwaves. If you prefer the caramelized flavor from grilling, microwaving half as long and then grilling provides quicker results without as much risk of burning.

Then whatever you like on it. I've been using some flavored olive oils lately, which are pretty good, but it's hard to beat butter.

The microwave is what I like.

Shuck the corn and clean off the silk. Put the corn in gallon ziplock bags with a bit of water, but don't fully zip closed.

I give it 3 minutes then turn them over for 3 more.

Try this Red Chile Lime Butter on them. Awesome

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wldthg
Steam it in a cornkegulator
[Linked Image]

Then dip it in hot water with melted butter floating on top
[Linked Image]

Those pics never get old!! Thanks!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

642 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,315
Posts18,449,250
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.