Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
These are always interesting to read as everyone has their own threshold of pain vs. comfort. With new equipment always coming out, it makes the hunter more efficient all the time.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
BP-B2

T
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Twobucks

In late October sheep season we do a 9 day trip, temps routinely around -10C. Pack weight gets in the 55-60lb range then, including shooting gear. But a guy has to be able to live, not just survive on long cold trips. It helps you keep motivated!

First post and I'm jealous already. Welcome!

Thanks, but don't get too jealous - we're blessed with general (OTC) sheep tags here in Alberta, but I'm going into my 7 year hunting sheep and still looking for my first ram!

I find weight can creep up on a longer trip because comfort and a few luxuries become more important.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd hate to tell you what my pack weighed on my first solo trip. Let's just the the pack out took two trips and I didn't shoot anything.....

Now that's some funny stuff.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My overnight pack isn't much different than my 7 day pack weight. Just add about a pound a day for food is really the only difference. 35-45lbs is where I am at.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by conrad101st
8.5 to 9!!!! No way. Maybe a day pack.

Figure 35 if you have sleeping bag, tent, bivvy, sleeping pad, stove, pot, pougie bait, 10 mountain house meals, water filter, GPS, ammo, butchering equipment, game bags, flash lights, snivel gear, weapon, couple gatoraides for the hike in, etc.

Conrad:

What's "snivel gear"?

Some people don't understand the difference between a daypack and a backpack. Obviously you do. smile When I'm day hiking/hunting out of a base camp, my daypack weighs about 12 pounds. That includes 2 quarts (four pounds) of water and it doesn't count a 10# rifle.

If you're backpack hunting during the early seasons, then you don't need the cold weather clothing. Consequently you can keep your pack and rifle weight near 35 pounds. smile

Thirty-five pounds is a good weight, not counting rifle, for the 3rd or 4th season, if you're carrying food for ten nights and cold weather clothing. I plan to return to base camp every four or five days so I only carry four nights food.

KC

break down pack weight for 3rd season... just curious what we carry that you have lighter or less of.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Glacier hunts require some specialized gear that has some weight to it. I dont go over 45 lbs with food for 10 days. I used to go at almost 65lbs but I actually go with much less stuff. It's sad when you use your GPS for entertainment but i am sure that the old timers probably were used to way more Spartan and miserable experiences.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Glacier hunts require some specialized gear that has some weight to it. I dont go over 45 lbs with food for 10 days. I used to go at almost 65lbs but I actually go with much less stuff. It's sad when you use your GPS for entertainment but i am sure that the old timers probably were used to way more Spartan and miserable experiences.
I suspect that a lot of the old timers spend a lot of very boring days during the winter just picking the crud out from under their toenails.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
break down pack weight for 3rd season... just curious what we carry that you have lighter or less of.

My pack weighs more when hunting in the 3rd season because I use different gear.

During the 3rd season, I carry a 2.5# sleeping bag that's rated at 5° instead of a 2# bag that's rated at 20°.

I carry a 4# tent that's a little bigger (for more gear) and built with stronger material. It's still not rated as a 4-season tent, but I think it will stand up to bad weather better than the ultralight 2.5# tent.

I carry a puffer jacket that's too warm for summer/fall in lieu of a little down vest; 2# instead of 1#.

I use a white gas stove (MSR Whisperlite) instead of a butane canister stove. I don't know the weight difference including a couple of fuel bottles, but the weight upgrade is significant.

An extra pair of warmer gloves and a couple of extra pairs of socks.

That's all I can think of right now.

Everything else is pretty much the same as what I use in the summer.

I also dress differently for 3rd season but I don't count that in pack weight.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by InternetGuru
When it's above freezing, my pack weighs 8.5-9 pounds including clothing worn/shoes. That doesn't include food/water/gun.

Including the clothes on your back and your shoes... Really? For a backpack hunt?
Sleeping in the dirt with no bag or shelter, huh? whistle

I think my first solo bp hunt I was a little over 50 lbs. Like others have mentioned, you quickly learn what is necessary and what can be left at home!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've done quite a few multiple day backpacking trips. On most of those I'm setting up and tearing down camp everyday and averaging 10-12 miles of hiking in mountainous terrain with all of my gear on my back. I try to stay around the 40lb mark which includes three or four quarts of water in the bag. I'm 6'1" and 145lbs so I have a skinny frame.

I carried 51 lbs during a five day solo trip on Isle Royale and would have been fine except I twisted my knee on day two when a rock I stepped on moved. Fortunately the terrain is fairly flat there, I had brought a few pain killers and was able to break up my daily hikes by stopping to fish different lakes. Pan fried morel mushrooms and northern pike fillets gave me the motivation to keep pushing and kept a smile on my face.

I did a three day trip in the Sierras this summer with a 35lb pack including crampons and my ice axe. We covered 10 miles each day but on our climb day we left camp set up and carried day packs. Banner Peak elevation 12,936', my highest so far but I plan to climb Mt. Whitney next spring.

I have a tendency to overpack as far as food and clothes but dry clothes and a chocolate bar can really lift your spirits after a full day of walking in [bleep] weather.

SPEND THE MONEY AND GET QUALITY BOOTS!!!

Overall the best thing you can do is pack your bag, put it on and go for a hike. You'll need the physical training and you'll get used to weight while learning to pack a balanced load and adjust the straps to properly fit you.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A general question: for those hunting in mid-late October in the Rockies (northern CO, WY), how many cubic inches/pack size you carrying?

I've been playing around home with a ~ 3600 cu in pack and am finding it won't hold all my hunting gear. In the market for a bigger pack...........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
A general question: for those hunting in mid-late October in the Rockies (northern CO, WY), how many cubic inches/pack size you carrying?

I've been playing around home with a ~ 3600 cu in pack and am finding it won't hold all my hunting gear. In the market for a bigger pack...........

Bill:

I've gotten tired of cramming my stuff into a small backpack. My current most favorite backpack is an Osprey Aether 85. I need the XL to fit my long torso and it has a capacity of about 5,500 cu. in. Most of the time I carry it with some unused volume. It takes discipline to avoid filling it up and I know that some people may ask why carry more pack than necessary? But I also carry it almost empty as a daypack so I can put an elk hind quarter inside it if I have to.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I use a 7200cu pack for day hunts and pack in. It cinches down small enough and I always have my meat hauler with me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KC - that is funny - I ordered the Aether 85 today. I bought an Osprey Atmos this past weekend but in the short torso version it wasn't much bigger than my other back pack. I guestimated I need ~ 5-700 cu inches over my present 3600. The 70 was right at 4100 cu in, the 85 in short comes in at 5000. With compression straps, I should be able to make it work for summer trips around home (1-3 nights) and elk trips for 2-3 nights with late fall/winter appropriate gear. I really liked Osprey packs.

Last edited by bwinters; 10/05/15.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Same as pointer. Sometimes he does it right.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have recently purchased a Paradox Divide and the Multilid and Day Talon with it, the total CU.IN. capacity is around 5000.

This is OK for about 3 days in early autumn deer-grouse hunting here in BC and it performed admirably during a 3-4 day hunt in mid-Sept. in the Kootenays.

The weight of this pack is under 4 lbs. and it is really comfortable with "geezer" loads, I look forward to my next hunt starting Oct. 13 in the same area.

I keep a Dana Design Shortbed, the best heavyduty pack(s) I have ever used in my Taco for whatever big loads I can still handle and have my original MR NICE setup for general purpose uses.

Looking at a Paradox Evolution 6300 plus lid and talon for a large IF pack as I have sold three MR and DD packs, both Kifarus and gave away my Camptrails Freighters, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't want to hijack the OP thread - why did you get rid of the MR? I've been looking at the Sky 5100.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I just ordered the 4800cu Kifaru Mountain Warrior for my 1-7 day pack. I am going to add some pockets to it though, and a guide lid. I've been using a longhunter, but sick of dumpster diving through the pack.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Don't want to hijack the OP thread - why did you get rid of the MR? I've been looking at the Sky 5100.

Simply, because I am 69, had many packs, guns and other gear and am selling anything I will never use to raise cash, make space and simplify my life.

The MR NICE I sold had the later style of belt and never fitted me as my original does, so, I sold it and kept my old one.

I still have four dedicated hunting packs and two MR general use packs and at my age, that should do me. IF, as seems to be slowly happening, my serious spinal problems DO heal and I can go back to snowshoe camping alone in the mountains here in winter, I will buy the SO Evolution I mentioned above.

I am VERY impressed by these packs so far and their customer service is just stellar. HTH.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My target weight is, ideally 30, realistically, 35. My actual weight is usually 40 or more. It just seems I tend to sacrifice weight for overall comfort as departure approaches.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.