-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This morning in a light rain. Had the ground almost ready last night and thought that I would have time this morning to finish, before the rain hit. I woke up to thunder and before I could get my row in the garden planted, it was raining. It should work out for eating turnips, and I will plant some more for greens later. Same with food plots. I did find some sugar beet seed at the feed store while I was picking up the turnip seed, so I will plant a few in a food plot. Not many as they were pretty costly. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Milespatton- What, may I ask, will you use the sugar beets for? Wine maybe?-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
pickled sugar beets are great!!! And easy to water bath can.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I did find some sugar beet seed at the feed store while I was picking up the turnip seed, so I will plant a few in a food plot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
miles, if you've never had this, you may want to give it a try. It's a French dish made from mashed root vegetables with or without potatoes. Turnips, parsnips, carrots, celery root (celeriac) are common denominators.

It kinda goes something like this, although there's nothing cast in stone here. Make it yours. smile

Mashed Potatoes and Root Vegetables (from Cooks Illustrated)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 ounces carrots, parsnips, turnips, or celery root; carrots or parsnips cut into ¼-inch-thick half-moons; turnips or celery root cut into ½-inch dice (about 1½ inch cups)
1½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices; rinsed well in 3 to 4 changes of cold water and drained well
⅓ cup low-sodium chicken broth
table salt
¾ cup half-and-half, warmed
3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
ground black pepper
1. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. When foaming subsides, add root vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until butter is browned and vegetables are dark brown and caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes. (If after 4 minutes, vegetables have not started to brown, increase heat to medium-high.)
2. Add potatoes, broth, and ¾ teaspoon salt and stir to combine. Cook, covered, over low heat (broth should simmer gently; do not boil), stirring occasionally, until potatoes fall apart easily when poked with a fork and liquid has been absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. (If liquid does not gently simmer after a few minutes, increase heat to medium-low.) Remove pan from heat; remove lid and allow steam to escape for 2 minutes.
3. Gently mash potatoes and root vegetables in saucepan with potato masher (do not mash vigorously). Gently fold in warm half-and-half and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste; serve immediately.

I had this with roasted rabbit in a red wine reduction sauce in Paris. Friggin incredible. Liked it so much, I ordered it again in Brussels.

I think you'll find this recipe a nice addition to your bag of tricks. There's actually a French name for it, but I can't remember. Sam or one of the other folks might.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, I will try that. It sounds good. miles

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry guys but I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I raised them for years on my farm and they got to be the size of soccer balls and were transported to the sugar factories to process into raw sugar. The beets my family used to grow and can were red beets and they were good pickled or cooked and buttered too. Maybe this is another situation where locality dictates the misnomer.-Mike

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK....Sugar Beet Latkes!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sorry guys but I don't think we are talking about the same thing

I think that I am. I know red beets, but I had stated on another thread that I would like to try some sugar beets in a food plot, but know nothing about them. I just happened to run into some seed when getting my turnip seed. I am even speculating about growing them in the fall and winter here, but will try with the small package of seed that I bought. If they are a viable food plot plant, I will have to find some place to get the seed cheaper for upcoming years. miles

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
not to get too far off the subject of turnips, which we plant on labor day weekend without fail including purple top, seven top, and white globe, we have been using radishes for deer plot food for some time with success.

they grown large, and the deer will eat the tops and dig up the roots. I've heard of sugar beets being used but haven't seen any here. it might be a seed price issue, I don't know. rape (canola) makes for a good plot as well.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't know. rape (canola) makes for a good plot as well.

I usually plant a patch or two of mixed greens for the deer and one in the garden for myself. What ever the local feed store has on hand the day that I am there. Usually both kinds of turnips (purple top and seven top) and sometimes the white ones, but not often. Some kale, rape, radishes, mustard, tendergreens, etc. I have found that I like mixed greens better that straight turnip greens, but will eat either. The only thing that I don't like is spinach and poke sallet. They both have the same aftertaste to me.

You can't beat some greens cooked with fatback, a little juice off of canned cayenne peppers over them and turnips with cornbread. Fish out a pepper or two to go with it and a large glass of milk. As Alton Brown would say, Good eats. miles

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Miles- Sugar beet tops were said to have been used by the cigarette industry to use as filler. However in all the years I lived next to my beet fields, I never saw deer out in them. Some of the neighbors made some decent wine and I am sure the tops were edible. Turnips and parsnips would be much more so. Didn't want to start an argument. Carry on with the thread.-Mike

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was at a place the other day that sold feed, although I would not call it a feed store, and they had sugar beet pulp in bags for sale as horse feed. I thought about getting some a seeing if the deer would eat that, but it did not have a lot of food value compared to other stuff. miles

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
speaking of animal feed, we use to feed the cows with citrus pulp out of Florida. it was plentiful and fairly cheap.

collards was a mainstream winter vegetable for us. it do cold weather, and it was before we ever heard of kale.

greens and mixed greens with pork is all good. and cornbread, and a slice of onion if ya got it, and some pepper juice.

back in the day, collards for us was a mainstay. the deer will eat them too. I've seen them do it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well up here in Michigan....the colder it gets the more the deer eat sugar beets....they will dig thru 2' of snow to get them...

Turnips....deer eat the greens late summer and early fall...turnips are usually all eaten by mid-November

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My Dad was a big collard fan. I prefer mixed greens or just turnip greens but will eat the collards if they are on the table. miles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 22 invisible), 1,923 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,371
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.