Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks:

In the current issue of Rifle Shooter (Sept/Oct 2015), Craig Boddington has an article on care in making sure a rifle feeds without a hiccup. Along with everyone else, I heard about Ian Gibson's tragic death, but didn't know the exact cause (other than the part about the elephant). Evidently it was a jam that prohibited a second shot.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you POSITIVE about the jam? I'm not hearing that.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
No, I'm not sure. I'm just telling you what Boddington wrote.

"At the last, with no choice, Ian took the frontal brain shot, but up close the upward angle makes an always-tricky shot even more difficult. His shot failed to stop the bull, and his .458 jammed. Being unarmed, Robert" - his tracker - "could do nothing as he watched the elephant kneel on his boss and friend and then tear him to pieces." (Rifle Shooter, Sept/Oct 2015, p. 80).

Sorry for the graphic detail. I'm just quoting Boddington.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well if Craig wrote it, I'm sure it has validity, but from what I heard from guys over there was he waited too long to shoot and did not have enough time for a reload. I know someone who was close to Ian and that's what he said. Let me see what I can find out.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
From Boddington's account, the elephant was very close when the first shot was taken since Mr. Gibson fully expected it to turn. That part of the account is pretty consistent with all of the other accounts I've read. The rifle jam was something I'd not heard.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Me neither, but in my view that is a very important detail that should be made public so that everyone might learn from it.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
That is exactly the point of Boddington's article. Sometimes we obsess over certain things, while taking other things for granted (i.e., reliable feeding, etc). And sometimes that has pretty bad consequences.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What kind of rifle?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JJHACK
What kind of rifle?

^^^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I would have thought that anyone that was even in bear country at a minimum, would make sure their guns functioned flawlessy from the mag to the chamber as fast as you can go.

I would not think IF he had a jam, that it woudl be breaking news, make sure your gun and ammo work..

The last time I loaded for a friend to Africa, I cycled every round of 416 through his gun as fast as I could run the bolt.... and sized the brass such that it was an easy fit but not sloppy, in the chamber.

He had NO intnetion of anything more dangerous than an Eland/Kudu... but you never know.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have seen him with a very, very blueworn Model 70 in, I think, 458. Don't know what he was carrying on that day.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
He may have short stroked...possible he never got to finish the cycle. Hard to guess remotely with seconds ticking off like that.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
He may have short stroked...possible he never got to finish the cycle. Hard to guess remotely with seconds ticking off like that.

Very true. I can see that happening with a big magnum and being rushed or fearful of your life.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JJHACK
What kind of rifle?

The article doesn't say. What it does say is,

"This was not a matter of carelessness or lack of preparation. The same rifle had jammed some months earlier during a leopard charge, but that time he wasn't alone and a good shot from the side prevented a mauling. So he knew feeding could be an issue, but rifles are hard to come [by] in today's Zimbabwe, and he hadn't been able to replace it." (Rifle Shooter, Sept/Oct, p. 80).

There isn't anything else said about the rifle. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the entire point of the article is making sure one's rifle feeds reliably.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The type of rifle and action is a critical bit of info

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Boddington never said; just that it was a .458.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
It's a push-feed Winchester M 70 .458 Win mag.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
It's a push-feed Winchester M 70 .458 Win mag.

Elephants aren't big on tooth and claw so I guess he figured he'd leave the CRF home that day.... whistle Where's Ingwe? He's a major advocate of the push feed model 70..

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Would like to know how long Ian owned the rifle i.e. how many seasons did he use it?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,463,991
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.