Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dude270 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
What do you guys like to use to sharpen your knives? Any different method whether it's a tough steel or an easy sharpener?

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Edge Pro for most blades. Japanese water stones for scandi grind blades. Mouse Pad/sandpaper along with a leather strop for my convex knives.

Sam......

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I use the jig thing with diamond stones for setting my edge and or putting a edge on a real dull or real hard blade. For all touch up work I use a set of sticks.

I'd like to try a edge pro or something like that. Sounds like they're real nice

D
Dude270 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I've been thinking about getting an edge pro knockoff got working over my really dull stuff, when they just need a touch up I've had good luck with the spyderco sharp maker.

Anybody else have anything to say about the edge pros one way or another

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I generally use an 8" Norton fine India Stone and WD40.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
As long as I stay on top of things the Spyderco Sharpmaker has been great.

I'd like to try a Norton stone.........

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
DMT Magna Guide kit and a steel.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have tried them all and have enjoyed varying degree of success. But on a whim I picked one of these up Work Sharp tools at Northern Tool and have to say it is the easiest and fastest way to keep them razor sharp:

[Linked Image]

The 6K grit belt really puts a nice edge on everything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308798

Get down to where the pictures start. Do it just like her with not too fine a stone. Free yourself from those little machines and live wild and loud with the wind in your hair and a trusty, rusty blade by your side and sing the song of....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dude270

Anybody else have anything to say about the edge pros one way or another

I had the Professional model but it was way more than the average Joe needs so I sold it and bought the Apex. No complaints about either model. Money well spent IMO but they've sure gone up in price. I sold my first one for enough to get my money back plus pay for the Apex.

I'd suggest getting the basic Apex to start with. The med and fine stones will do everything most guys need and you can buy additional stones and tapes (for less money) if you decide you need em down the line.

As mentioned above, they don't work for convex grinds but I only have one 2.5" convex blade.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My stone "battery" consists of an 8 inch combo (coarse-fine) Norton India stone, a 6 inch Soft Arkansas and hard translucent Arkansas pocket stone. I use mineral oil for "honing oil". For "tougher" steels I'd probably look at diamond plates or if you can't or don't want to do it by hand the work sharp.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Personally I'd recommend one of these with a 50grit belt for that "toothy" edge... especially if you buy custom knives... it will quickly help you justify the next purchase...

[Linked Image]

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Personally I'd recommend one of these with a 50grit belt for that "toothy" edge... especially if you buy custom knives... it will quickly help you justify the next purchase...

[Linked Image]

Who makes "one of these"?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
lucky guy here since i have powered belt machine, edge pro , dmt bench diamond stones, & even a strop impregnated with diamond paste. for blades of my friends that sometimes have garden hoe bevels i go to the powered belts. if you wish to get great even bevels the edge pro is my choice. most of my knives are never gone to real dull, so the dmt stones do the light touchups. to put the true razor edge to impress yankees the strop is the way. cranky72

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

[Linked Image]

I'm still learning how to use this.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by mtnman1

[Linked Image]

Who makes "one of these"?

Harbor Freight sells something similar for $35 and gets great reviews.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I kinda doubt Harbor freight is selling anything similar for $35 bucks. I was joking when I posted that and I'd stay away from the 50grit belts, but if somebody really wants something along that lines, you should check Beaumont Metal Works. A decent Knife maker's grinder will run a bit more than $35.

Check out my new website

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ok, perhaps not similar in quality but in usage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-in-belt-sander-60543.html

Get a 20% of coupon and you are nearly there.

The go to recommendation at BladeForums and others for low cost belt driven sharpening.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
laughin', yeah, the machine I referenced will set ya back well in excess of a grand, just to get warmed up, but it's a Knife maker's machine and on a slightly different scale. Not exactly meant for the average guy doing home sharpening. smile

Check out my new website

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The main advantage of sharpening with a belt on a knife making machine is the variable speed. You can slow it way down and avoid over heating the cutting edge. A 1/10 second pause on a fast moving belt and that edge will turn cheery red and you have a ruined blade.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?
R
R
Well I'm no expert on anything, but I have found a large percentage of the population have a real problem getting a knife sharp! I personally use a DMT steel, and a leather strop.
I have found if you want to keep a knife good or a women good you need to give them both a little attention pretty often!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have found if you want to keep a knife good or a women good you need to give them both a little attention pretty often! [/quote]

You better give yours a lot of attension or she'll kick your arse.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?
R
R
Dale, my wife is meaner than an acre of snakes!!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When I can't get a knife sharp by hand, I use a Sharpmaker. The ceramic stones work well with any steel.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Edge pro apex to set a double bevel and then smith ceramics to maintain the edge. By using an 18/21 deg bevel for most good steel it takes abuse to do damage that the ceramics wont clean up in a couple passes.

I have one S30V blade that has done a pile of work and just gets kissed by the ceramic once in a while.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Japanese stones exclusively. Shapton Ha no Kuromaku in 320, 5000 and 12000 grit and Naniwa Chosera in 800 and 2000 grit. I have used these stones on scandi, flat and convex grinds with good success. The steels have been 1084, 1095, A2, D2, VG10, Sandvik 12C27 3V and ZDP189. I have never been left wanting. I was amazed at how easily I was able to get rid of a nasty chip/roll in a 3V Bark River recently.

I then strop on balsa wood and leather.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
364 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.