Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
They are finally here from Pueblo. Nothing better than fresh roasted chillie inside a grilled cheese sandwich. Poor man's chillie rellano.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
we will buy 2 gunny sacks next week, and bag it up. 1 hot and 1 mild mixed together while they are roasting it up. then just bag them up 5 to 7 chilies in a sandwich bag and freeze.

Clos

NRA Life Member

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore
They are finally here from Pueblo. Nothing better than fresh roasted chillie inside a grilled cheese sandwich. Poor man's chillie rellano.

I have never heard of that but by God it sounds like an amazing idea whose time has come in this house. Thanks smile

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My sainted parents discovered NM Hatch Chilies in Greenville, SC today at the newly opened Fresh Market. They just called me all excited and wanted to let me know of their late life discovery. FM had the giant roasters in the parking lot so it was a soiree!!

I will share the idea of a Hatch grilled cheese and a side of tomato soup as that's their favorite and go too!

God knows I love them!!! At 79 years young and 58 years of marriage there are not 2 finer people on the planet!!

Thank you FM and NM Hatch Chilies for creating even more love in the lives of my Mother and Father today!! grin

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Man, that sounds like some serious chiles relenos coming you guys' way!

Damn. Not even a whif down here. Gotta settle for Poblanos or cubanelles.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Publix in SC had them so FL may as well. Just not the roasting party to go along with! wink

Most folks out this way do not even know what they are.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Huh. I'm gonna have to check Publix produce section harder next time.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The annual Chile & Frijoles Featival held each year in late September‚ is Pueblo’s harvest celebration. The festival will be held on September 25-27, 2015. Lotta fresh roastin' of green chile's goin' on at the festival.
BTW, they grow some damn good chile's just east of Pueblo, out on the mesa.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At our local Wegmans yesterday. Later, after I grout the repair in the kitchen floor, I intend to run down and acquire some.

For you that don't have Wegmans I hope they expand everywhere. Really great grocery store that is also really good to their employees.

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pugs, dang. How do Terrapins get them all the way up there and we can't get a snif here in FL? Not getting that.

BTW, please tell me that's not a rotating basket grill in the background roasting up those Hatch's.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Alan I'm headed over to the Dulles store here in a bit. Even though the local Safeway has them they're not roasting in the parking lot, which is half the attraction.

Oh man the aroma's that fill the parking lot using the tumbler roasters are killer. And they even remove the seeds.

Probably get some to freeze as well.

For you guys that cannot find them in stores they can be ordered online. Just google hatch chilies online and a ton of places in NM will come up. Shipping probably sucks.

ie... https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/

Go Nats!!!!

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Greg check with Publix or a local specialty store in FL. I'll bet you can find them.

Do y'all have a Fresh Market, Harris Teeter or something like it?

Also, Whole Foods is doing parking lot roasting!!!

Last edited by byc; 08/23/15.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt

BTW, please tell me that's not a rotating basket grill in the background roasting up those Hatch's.

Yep. They were doing them and they were flying out the door.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmmmmm...Good point. I bet it's like lunch at the ant farm around the Dulles store. On second thought maybe not! Safeway here I come. I can roast on the BGE or a Weber. grin

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Pueblo is getting to be known as a great chile growing area. They are every bit as good as Hatch chiles.

Around here ,the Hatch are anywhere from $35-$40 a bushel where as the Pueblo grown ones are $25-$28. Nice thick meated ones. We just put up all mediums, same way 5-6 to a bag and freeze once peeled

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/23/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by byc
Greg check with Publix or a local specialty store in FL. I'll bet you can find them.

Do y'all have a Fresh Market, Harris Teeter or something like it?

Also, Whole Foods is doing parking lot roasting!!!

Checked farmer's markets, Publix, several other grocery stores. Nada.

Called Fresh Market. Bingo!!!

Thanks, byc!! The people in the store by me are really nice. Spoke directly to the produce manager and he says "Some guy has been coming in here and buying entire boxes! We've only got half a box left right now". smile

Too funny.

He did say they'll roast them out front sometimes, too. But, they've been flying off the shelf so they've not wanted to take away from the customers buying fresh chiles.

Could be some pics of chiles relenos with some Hatch chiles coming. smile

Getting a little late to be rattin the street, but I'm heading over there now.

Last edited by local_dirt; 08/23/15.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pueblo is getting to be known as a great chile growing area. They are every bit as good as Hatch chiles.

Around here ,the Hatch are anywhere from $35-$40 a bushel where as the Pueblo grown ones are $25-$28. Nice thick meated ones. We just put up all mediums, same way 5-6 to a bag and freeze once peeled

we don't even peel them all at first, we just thaw and peel as needed. easier that way.

Clos

NRA Life Member

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll have to keep an eye out for Pueblos! Thanks Gents!!

Glad you found some Greg! Hope you like them.

David

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by clos

we don't even peel them all at first, we just thaw and peel as needed. easier that way.

We take most of it off, and then finish when we thaw. Took us about an hour for a bushel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oddly, for as many types of peppers that are available year round here, I never see Hatch. But I bet there are 15-20 types I could get from local grocers or the swap meet right now.

Sean
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 30 invisible), 2,071 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,368
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.